Options

[Anime] Suletta Sundays, with only the finest parenting.

1457910101

Posts

  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just finished what's available of Spy X Family and WTF Hulu get the rest already! You're killing me!

    I think that's it for now unless Hulu didn't have the current season finished.

    They just have up to episode 12 dubbed. They have the rest subtitled but I don't want that. :P

    I honestly didn't think the dub was anything special, the sub is way better. The dub is passable, but the sub is really where the quality is.

    I don't watch subs. Sorry.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Dub vs Sub debate?


    https://youtu.be/XCiDuy4mrWU

  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I prefer Wubs, where all the sound of the original is removed and instead dubstep plays at an alarming volume

  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    SUBBA DUB WUBB WUBB

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    is that true?

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Whoa, you go big guy

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    One Piece watchthrough.

    Diable Jambe!

  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    One Piece watchthrough.

    Diable Jambe!

    but what is your opinion on giraffes?

    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it has been brought up many times, but sanji would be so much better if oda could crank the creepo factor down even slightly

  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    sanji just gets worse and worse as one piece goes on

  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Big Cake does a ton of work on pulling Sanji up the ranks and then Wano drops him right back down

    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    and it sucks so bad, cause he also gets to do cool shit like this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGT-VCJyWOg

  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    it has been brought up many times, but sanji would be so much better if oda could crank the creepo factor down even slightly

    as in every other anime with one of 'these dudes.'

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    zoro
    jinbei
    luffy
    robin
    usopp
    chopper
    nami
    franky
    brook
    thousand sunny
    sanji

  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the British dub of the Guyver OVA is great overall, but for screams of terror and pain you can't go wrong.

    Also Steve Blum giving a speech about the illuminati and sounding menacing

  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Also I'll be honest. Sanji doesn't nearly squick me out as much as other characters in other animes that do the same schtick. Maybe he gets worse later? I dunno.

    At least he's a good cook.

  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Sanji, if not for his women related antics, would be definitely my favourite One Piece character.

    Sadly, he is never going to grow out of it so I can only make peace with the fact that he can only ever be sometimes cool and sometimes cringy instead.

    Why cannot he be in Mr Prince mode more often? Only Oda knows.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Also I'll be honest. Sanji doesn't nearly squick me out as much as other characters in other animes that do the same schtick. Maybe he gets worse later? I dunno.

    At least he's a good cook.

    the big problem is that his creepiness undercuts all his character growth and cool impact moments

  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    It gets really bad during and right after the timeskip/fishman island arc.

    Like god, that entire thing was just so fucking stupid

    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I recently read a comic called "The Beginning After the End"

    It's basically the same premise as Mushoku Tensei, but with a protagonist who isn't such a creepy asshole.

    And one of the chapters kind of introduced what I thought was an interesting moral quandary in the Isekai world
    The guy gets "reincarnated" as a baby right out of the womb. So he's basically like a fully grown man in the body of an infant.

    But when he reaches the age of 13, he decides to tell his parents everything.

    And it understandably freaks his mother right the fuck out. She has a full-on mental break-down for a bit.

    Honestly it kind of left me wondering if it was the right thing to do.

    I sort of lean toward thinking he should've taken that shit with him to the grave.

    RT800 on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    It gets really bad during and right after the timeskip/fishman island arc.

    Like god, that entire thing was just so fucking stupid

    the man was too horny to live, RIP

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Also I'll be honest. Sanji doesn't nearly squick me out as much as other characters in other animes that do the same schtick. Maybe he gets worse later? I dunno.

    At least he's a good cook.

    He gets worse later.

  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I recently read a comic called "The Beginning After the End"

    It's basically the same premise as Mushoku Tensei, but with a protagonist who isn't such a creepy asshole.

    And one of the chapters kind of introduced what I thought was an interesting moral quandary in the Isekai world
    The guy gets "reincarnated" as a baby right out of the womb. So he's basically like a fully grown man in the body of an infant.

    But when he reaches the age of 13, he decides to tell his parents everything.

    And it understandably freaks his mother right the fuck out. She has a full-on mental break-down for a bit.

    Honestly it kind of left me wondering if it was the right thing to do.

    I sort of lean toward thinking he should've taken that shit with him to the grave.

    Yeah, that thing is real good.

    I might read the web novel for it. But from what I've heard (minor spoilers)
    shit's about to get dark

  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Depending on the current state of affairs, the writer's views and what editor a writer gets when they go from web novel to either light novel or I want to say in some rare cases you do get a few that go directly to manga. The web novel can be better or worse than the work that gets an official publication. Sometimes it can take something really trashy and make it good (also downside is that sometimes you get a Rowling's situation where you might pick up the published work and then ultimately regret giving that writer any money because they are a really fucking awful individual. Other times they could take something good and the editor convinces the writer to put in a bunch of garbage because the garbage is super popular.

    Though want to say overall, the official published stuff tends to be better than the web novel sources because more often than note, they usually have a fair bit of rambly and redundant parts that the editor either helps them fold back parts into places where it can strengthen the story or outright cut because it's only detracting from the story. Also the decent ones usually tap feedback from their readers and tweak shit that they either weren't completely happy with or saw a fair bit of constructive feedback suggesting it didn't work.

    Granted some of the tweaks are also an attempt to make sure readers of the webnovel will feel inclined to read the published work, since it's not the exact same story word for word.

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I don't dislike SxF's dub or anything per se, it was just... fine? At best? Nothing like above and beyond like Chainsaw Man's or Love Is War's that really made it stand out. My friend put it better in that the sub felt like they were putting more effort into it.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just finished what's available of Spy X Family and WTF Hulu get the rest already! You're killing me!

    I think that's it for now unless Hulu didn't have the current season finished.

    They just have up to episode 12 dubbed. They have the rest subtitled but I don't want that. :P

    I honestly didn't think the dub was anything special, the sub is way better. The dub is passable, but the sub is really where the quality is.

    I don't watch subs. Sorry.

    Understandable, but there's many(many) shows that literally never get dubbed at all nowadays...

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I rarely watch dubs but the one for Tomo-chan is a Girl is really good. Its script is way funnier than the subtitled version.

    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'll always give the dub a fair shake unless the sub came out first, and even then, if I love the show, I'll watch it later on down the line.

    (Fate/Zero's one of my favorite shows ever, and the dub is nearly on par with the sub, with the sad exception of Gilgamesh, since all hear is Jin Kisaragi but more whiny.)

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I tend to usually prefer subs but some shows I cannot handle in Japanese like any Dragonball, to me the jp voice is a crime to my ears. But the benefit of dubs is I can play games on my phone or otherwise look away and still be engaged mostly, and my girlfriend can have a hard time reading the subs so we've watched all of chainsaw man both ways lmao

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Chainsaw Man's dub is brilliant, and has all kinds of lines that show they really put in the work.
    ("You put the "dick" in predictable!")

    And of course, the gold standard:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz6YwrFfCvY

    And my namesake. Lain's dub is so good I've yet to manage to watch the sub in its entirety.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't dislike SxF's dub or anything per se, it was just... fine? At best? Nothing like above and beyond like Chainsaw Man's or Love Is War's that really made it stand out. My friend put it better in that the sub felt like they were putting more effort into it.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just finished what's available of Spy X Family and WTF Hulu get the rest already! You're killing me!

    I think that's it for now unless Hulu didn't have the current season finished.

    They just have up to episode 12 dubbed. They have the rest subtitled but I don't want that. :P

    I honestly didn't think the dub was anything special, the sub is way better. The dub is passable, but the sub is really where the quality is.

    I don't watch subs. Sorry.

    Understandable, but there's many(many) shows that literally never get dubbed at all nowadays...

    That's fine. I honestly don't have the time to watch everything I want to as it is. I just.. can't do it. I lose track of what's going on so easily when it's subbed that I just refuse.

    Being dyslexic sucks.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Anya, Yor, and Loid’s english VAs all knock it out of the goddamn park and are easily as good as their Japanese counterparts.

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Anya, Yor, and Loid’s english VAs all knock it out of the goddamn park and are easily as good as their Japanese counterparts.

    Anya was great, but Loid didn't seem as into it to me. He just sounded kind of... blasé, somehow.
    (Really don't want to hate on the dub at all, mind you, I just enjoy the sub way more.)

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Honestly the G Witch prologue hits harder if you watch it after the first ep or full season.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Second week now of watching anime with my brother after we put dad to bed and finish family dinner. I'm.. really enjoying this, watching reactions and geeking out over shit. I guess I've always enjoyed anime the most when I have a sounding board.

    Last week, we watched Trigun: Stampede to get caught up (eps 1-3). This week was Stampede ep 4, and G-Witch prologue and episode 1. I've seen through episode 8 of G-Witch, so it'll be a bit before we catch up to new stuff (and I can stop fearing spoilers).. but.. it really was fun seeing the shift between the episodes.

    Regarding Stampede, Episode 4 (nothing plot related):
    Is it just me, or is every episode's opening getting a little less and less blurry? Like memories falling into place? I swear we are seeing new shots in each one.

    Now, onto general plot spoilers:

    YAY! ZAZIE IS THEIR MAXIMUM VERSION!

    YAY! WOLFWOOD IS LIKE THEIR MAXIMUM VERSION!

    SUPER YAY, THE PUNISHER CROSS IS NOW AN ENERGY BEAM WEAPON!

    Seriously a good episode, though I wasn't sure if it would be Zazie corrupting the kid or being the kid. I always liked the idea that Vash respects all life, including the Worms. It wasn't as impactful as the earlier ones, but if this is really just a one and done season, I'm okay with it. Don't overstay your welcome.

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and it sucks so bad, cause he also gets to do cool shit like this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGT-VCJyWOg

    Every time I see one of these 'check out this awesome bit of animation from one piece' clips I'm tempted to try watching it; the fight sequences always seem to be easier to tell what's going on when they're animated, plus the cool bits look _really_ cool. But then I think about how much filler there must be surrounding the good bits and I'm just not sure.

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and it sucks so bad, cause he also gets to do cool shit like this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGT-VCJyWOg

    Every time I see one of these 'check out this awesome bit of animation from one piece' clips I'm tempted to try watching it; the fight sequences always seem to be easier to tell what's going on when they're animated, plus the cool bits look _really_ cool. But then I think about how much filler there must be surrounding the good bits and I'm just not sure.

    The best way to engage with the one piece anime is to watch the sakuga clips on youtube and read the manga.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    there is so much filler

    but the animation since the second half of whole cake arc has been stellar

  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Honestly the G Witch prologue hits harder if you watch it after the first ep or full season.

    I didn't watch it until right before the episode "A Gloomy Song", which both have the happy birthday song, so I recommend it then.

    EDIT: I also just learned that the ED sequence of episode one has a longer music video version. This might be old news to some of you, but in case anyone else hasn't seen it, here it is.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eytpBOkOFA

    Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6894HNUePVY
    (Topical: Mousse's VA is also the dub voice of Amuro Ray.)

    wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.