As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Steam] Thread - I'm Eighteen and I Like It

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Nah, my computer was flipping out. I was getting the Steam Deck interface rather than the normal desktop interface and then I closed Steam and couldn't even reopen it even though there were no Steam tasks in memory. I rebooted and now everything is fine.

The Steam Deck interface has been introduced as the new Big Picture Mode, so that's probably what happened there.

Thank you! I couldn’t understand wtf happened, it was like my Steam was hijacked, but now it all makes sense.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    And for the record, I actually like the Steam Deck interface and I think this change makes sense (I have a Steam Deck too) but I had no idea this was coming and I literally just started using Big Picture mode on my desktop PC like 2 days ago.

Jazz
    Can I just say, I've been sort of made fun of a little bit - or at least virtually frowned at - for a "this game runs super well on Steam Deck" post elsewhere on this forum (lessons learned), and I know I tend to say that about older (like in this case Titanfall 2) or relatively-undemanding-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things (e.g. ME:LE) games, but I love the magic of how it feels. Always did. Going back to playing Doom on the GBA, or the first home-console-on-the-go of the PC Engine GT (aka TurboExpress), or even when Skyrim came out on the Switch, those have always been kind of "holy shit" moments for me. And the Steam Deck delivers those constantly. Thank you guys in this thread for being understanding and often as enthusiastic about that sort of thing!

Do what I do. Randomly pop into threads to say nothing other than “by the way, this runs great on Steam Deck.” I’ve literally done that. I think of it as a PSA. If people don’t like it they can blow it out of my bethoven.

JazzElvenshaeIanator
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's all of like one person, but yeah.

Thanks guys :heart:

an_altCorriganX
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I remember when people would say "this game runs great on a potato/toaster/some other euphemism for low spec pc" and the Deck is no different.

I wanna know how the games run on my Deck before I buy them and never play them.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    DrovekJazzKalnaurRoyceSraphimBetsuniMNC Dover
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I remember when people would say "this game runs great on a potato/toaster/some other euphemism for low spec pc" and the Deck is no different.

I wanna know how the games run on my Deck before I buy them and never play them.

Does steam deck run on a potato yet?

steam_sig.png
    rahkeesh2000
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Watching videos of re:make 4 got me thinking of a multiplayer shooter where two factions run around a map and attempt to secure multiple people going mad from magical power

They sling these people over their shoulder and take damage as they lash out, slap the carrier, and summon random demons.

The carrier gets back to base, slots the archons into the altar and they transform into a titan unit

One into a magical school girl/boy, the other into a dark prince/princess

Get 3 and summon a demon the cute demon/goth demon and win a round

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Can Doom run a Steam Deck?

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle

Can love bloom on a battlefield?

DrovekBetsuni
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I finished the Steamworld Build demo, does that count?

It was pretty good, I’ll likely buy the full thing when it comes out. Was sad it booted me out at the end instead of letting me just keep building and trucking along.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    MNC DoverBetsuni
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Yes.

steam_sig.png
    JazzCommander ZoomIanatorBetsuniKoopahTroopah

!

BetsuniDrez
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

!

Love is a battlefield

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    JazzRoyceSraphimMNC DoverCommander ZoomElvenshaeIanatorDrovekironzergBetsuniIoloDrezrahkeesh2000PoketpixieEvmaAlsar

!

Love is a battlefield

I once had a vision of Ron Pearlman and David Hayter arguing if war had changed

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

!

Love is a battlefield

There is a youtube of that.

Drez
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally grabbed Spider-Man Remastered since there was a decent discount. Just as fun as I remember on the PS4.

Also my AMD card doing an admirable job with Ray Tracing turned on, hovering between 60-80 fps. Though I think I’m going to turn it off since I don’t actually notice the reflections when I’m playing, and I’d rather be zipping around at a smooth 120+.

cooljammer00
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    speaking of battlefields, Battlefield 2042 finally got it's class system update a few days ago (only took them over a year) and is in a MUCH better spot than it was at launch

I'd still wait for a sale though

CantidoElvenshaeRoyceSraphimCorriganX
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Finally grabbed Spider-Man Remastered since there was a decent discount. Just as fun as I remember on the PS4.

Also my AMD card doing an admirable job with Ray Tracing turned on, hovering between 60-80 fps. Though I think I’m going to turn it off since I don’t actually notice the reflections when I’m playing, and I’d rather be zipping around at a smooth 120+.

What model gpu?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    speaking of battlefields, Battlefield 2042 finally got it's class system update a few days ago (only took them over a year) and is in a MUCH better spot than it was at launch

Alternatively, it's available through Game Pass through that EA subscription thingy.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Zavian
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Alternatively, it's available through Game Pass through that EA subscription thingy.

also available via the EA pass on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/subscriptions/ea

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I know it's stupid but when you make a change to the controller configuration in Steam Big Picture mode and it says that it "must restart" and you click okay... I assume it means Steam Big Picture Mode... Not my entire PC.

e: So now I have to restart some 8mm capture footage I have been recording because of this shit.

urahonky on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

What model gpu?

6800XT.

Ray tracing on the 6000 series isn’t very strong to I was surprised at the performance.

Really annoyed why my desktop won't send audio to my tv anymore, hdmi is connected, I am typing on it right now.

Really annoyed why my desktop won't send audio to my tv anymore, hdmi is connected, I am typing on it right now.

Was the TV on before the HDMI was connected?

Does your TV show up in audio devices?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Yes, as not plugged in. Its a small LG tv that works fine and has done fine, but randomly stopped being an audio option this month.

urahonky wrote: »
    I know it's stupid but when you make a change to the controller configuration in Steam Big Picture mode and it says that it "must restart" and you click okay... I assume it means Steam Big Picture Mode... Not my entire PC.

e: So now I have to restart some 8mm capture footage I have been recording because of this shit.

That's crazy, gotta be a bug. It never did that before and doesn't on the Deck, so hopefully it'll get fixed. Bad time for it to hit you too, ugh, sorry duder.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I now have two magic kittehs staying in my home and playing with toys and eating cat grass.

I'm sure there's things I should be doing besides finding all the magic kittehs and collecting all the coins to buy them goodies but.......

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    ZavianIanatorJazzRoyceSraphimdestroyah87ElvenshaeMNC DoverCommander ZoomBetsuniIoloFencingsaxKalnauran_altMorninglordKoopahTroopahJeixStormwatcher
    I now have two magic kittehs staying in my home and playing with toys and eating cat grass.

I'm sure there's things I should be doing besides finding all the magic kittehs and collecting all the coins to buy them goodies but.......

something more important than finding magic kittehs and buying them goodies?

*zavian presses X to doubt*

JazzIoloKalnaurKoopahTroopah
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

That's crazy, gotta be a bug. It never did that before and doesn't on the Deck, so hopefully it'll get fixed. Bad time for it to hit you too, ugh, sorry duder.

Yeah it was me updating some 360 controller driver or something. Was trying to figure out why it wasn't reading my controller for some reason. And thanks .. I was so frustrated when I saw that reboot screen show up.

Alright I didn't want to leave Red Dead 2 unfinished so I reinstalled it and pushed through the last missions.

I liked the ending, but not the build up. For how bloody long the game was, the final character developments sort of rushed through.

Not sure I'll do the epilogues, but I'll leave it installed in case I feel like it.

Force of nature isnt letting me oneshot everything in the opening areas

Its not letting me tank anything

I still have to chase rabbits down for meat

Entering a new biome means working to get the right gear, install fast travel, and stock up supplies to get deep in there. While leaving the good armor behind so the weather doesn't kill you.

I'm using paths through thick bushes and trees to stall all these higher leveled enemies.

There is no xp to grind

Its a janky unbalanced mess of a survival sim lacking a power fantasy.

I am gonna have 8 different kinds of food and hoping I can kit enemies out one at a time so they dont overwhelm me before I can eat and regenerate.

Just reached the desert biome and OMGWHYISTHATSCORPIANSOFAST?!?!?!?!?

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I keep seeing people complaining about the quality of various aspects of that game, but I'm still interested even after all the cold water people have poured over this game.

Magic kitties might be part of what's got me interested in the game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    For anyone who picked up Chaos;Head(the first game in the Science series, including Steins;Gate), an exhaustive translation patch is out:

https://sonome.dareno.me/projects/chn-patch.html
    fd2ag0tb2kr4.png

Looks like it was completely redone from the ground up.
    chn_images.png

wVEsyIc.png
    LD50Ianatoran_altJazzBetsuni
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    For the missing sound option:

Check Settings / Sound / Manage Sound Devices.

That is where you can set what does and does not appear in the drop down menus.
    I have no idea what to do if nothing is there.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I too have started playing Tunic. I tweeted about it the other day but it really feels like distilled, "I could do that/go there the whole time!?". I only recently got stuck after getting the first key, but I think I know where to go now.

JeixKalnaur
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I keep seeing people complaining about the quality of various aspects of that game, but I'm still interested even after all the cold water people have poured over this game.

Magic kitties might be part of what's got me interested in the game.

I have nothing but the most minor of quibbles with the game. I don't understand all the other stuff I hear about. None of it matches my experience. It's crazy fun to magic-parkour everywhere and the combat is delightful once you've picked up a good variety of spells - you're jumping, spinning, rolling, throwing spells all at once, knocking things around and blowing them up, and it feels glorious. The graphics range from good to great and it runs just fine. Frey is a snarky character and I like her attitude. Cuff is fun and sarcastic.

It's not the greatest game ever. But it's solid and enjoyable, and 22 hours in I'm still going strong.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    ironzergIoloJazzFencingsaxKalnaurPoketpixie
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    It's not the greatest game ever. But it's solid and enjoyable, and 22 hours in I'm still going strong.

The Internet is well know for hating games that are "solid" and "enjoyable". If the Internet also hears that you're having fun, you might have to go underground for a while until the heat dies down.

IoloJazzFencingsaxKalnaurKarozFremCommander ZoomKoopahTroopah
    Force of nature isnt letting me oneshot everything in the opening areas

Its not letting me tank anything

I still have to chase rabbits down for meat

Entering a new biome means working to get the right gear, install fast travel, and stock up supplies to get deep in there. While leaving the good armor behind so the weather doesn't kill you.

I'm using paths through thick bushes and trees to stall all these higher leveled enemies.

There is no xp to grind

Its a janky unbalanced mess of a survival sim lacking a power fantasy.

I am gonna have 8 different kinds of food and hoping I can kit enemies out one at a time so they dont overwhelm me before I can eat and regenerate.

Just reached the desert biome and OMGWHYISTHATSCORPIANSOFAST?!?!?!?!?

I should have mentioned that I am having fun with this despite everything, the lack of a power fantasy is what is keeping the feedback loop interesting.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

!

Love is a battlefield

This was actually a YouTube video called WAR IS FICKLE but it's deleted, where Ron Perlman says "War never changes" and it smash cuts to MGS4 Snake grumbling "War... has changed."

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
    FencingsaxcB557Jazz
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Yesterday I discovered Desynced and played its demo for a few hours. It's like an RTS with heavy influence from factory builders.

Quick Play starts you off with three units, one which deploys into your starting base and two more for scouting, exploring and gathering. From there you can mine metals and crystals, crafting them into the components necessary to build new stuff. All your units and structures have modular hardpoints, giving you quite a bit of flexibility in how you expand your base, and they can be freely attached, detached and stored at your leisure.

Unit control in your base can feel a bit chaotic at the start. You assign units to logistics networks (localized areas which handle item supply and demand) and/or homes (which they return to and deposit resources into). I often needed to pick a unit and turn off its network and home to make it sit still for long enough to rearrange its modules. Anything doing work also needs to be provided power via generator and distributor modules, lest your drones run out of juice and need to limp back home to recharge.

It's not far up the tech tree before you reach the game's real time sink: programmable registers, which let you access a flowchart scripting system. This is where the "real game" might begin for you. Imagine programming a unit to scan for resources and call miners and haulers over, or having one worker dedicated to paving over the planet.

The demo on Steam ends at the first tech tier's climax, the Re-simulator building, though there are videos of their recent closed alpha that go quite a ways beyond. I'll have my eye on this one!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    BetsuniIoloEvmaAlsar
This discussion has been closed.