Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I just went back to do chariot boss in DS2 the other night. I just noped out the when I went through the zone initially because the mobs up to it are fucking horrible.

If hero graves gave us the chance to kill the chariots it would have been so awesome lol.
    good news

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I just went back to do chariot boss in DS2 the other night. I just noped out the when I went through the zone initially because the mobs up to it are fucking horrible.

If hero graves gave us the chance to kill the chariots it would have been so awesome lol.

They do. Much like the chariot boss in DS2, each one is a "cheese" strat, or a puzzle if you will.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

well i got news for you
    https://youtu.be/p2tZS-g2hAY?t=192

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I have about 140 hours in Elden Ring and only just now getting to the capital. I assume it will end at some point.

I assume.

You're just about halfway! Great job! See you in a year.
    YiroIWy.gif

oh don't worry after the next area(big ol' snowy mountain) the difficulty drops down hill fast... though getting past the boss is like a 90 degree climb up shit mountain.
    I'm pure int and about lv115, no worries.

I've gotten to the point where everything just melts if I blink at it.

Sorcerery feels cheap as hell now but man does it feel good.
    Fuck hero graves and those dumbass wagons
    Theres more than one dungeon with the chariot?

Goddammit.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Lol well shit I missed that didnt I. I was just happy to get out of those areas I didnt even do it. Watching the vod though not as wonderful as putting a gate up and watching the horse do cartwheels... so to speak.

Funny I have run through the game almost 3 full times now (a few more times just stopped the run with too) and I missed that. That is souls for you lol.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Edit: someone else already covered it.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    There's more than one dungeon with the chariot?

Goddammit.

Three, in fact.
    In Fringefolk Hero's Grave, Auriza Hero's Grave, and Gelmir Hero's Grave.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Making my way through Raya Lucaria on a new run

Amazing how much smaller it seems when you know where you’re going

Also Lightning Spear is a godsend for this place

Also also the rooftop route to the 2nd glintstone key is fun now

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited February 2023

You can kill the one in Fringefolk

Edit: lol i see it’s already been covered

knitdan on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I have about 140 hours in Elden Ring and only just now getting to the capital. I assume it will end at some point.

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

oh don't worry after the next area(big ol' snowy mountain) the difficulty drops down hill fast... though getting past the boss is like a 90 degree climb up shit mountain.

ok, well, let's just save this as the "before" photo

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited February 2023

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

ok, well, let's just save this as the "before" photo
    I must warn you, I am at peak levels of smug arrogance.

With this tiny walking stick I blast with from a safe distance of 50 feet away, not even the gods themselves are my equal.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, at where I'm at recently with this game my sorcery, when combined with my summons, more or less assures me a win 9 times out of 10 when first encountering a boss. I'm sure I'll hit somewhere where that's not the case but it's not happened yet.

For reference my next boss is the boss of the castle in the ice area.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

Goddammit.

What spells / talismans you using?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I assume.

YiroIWy.gif

Goddammit.

What spells / talismans you using?
    Comet, Carian Slicer, starlight (stop laughing), Stars of Ruin, Cannon of Haima, Gavel of Haima. Ranni's Dark Moon (incredible for softening up enemy magic resistance and taking a huge chunk out of their health) and Adula's moonblade for abit of quick crowd control.

Talismans are the one that speeds up casting time [Radagon Icon], one that increases the power of sorcerery by 4% [Graven School Talisman] and I kind of switch the third every so often but I try to keep the one that restores FP upon killing [Ancestral Spirit Horn] an enemy there since my build is completely spell dependent.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Watching random “no-glitch” speedruns

I’m not an expert but I’m pretty sure

Use 4 belfries to warp to that one spot in farum azula➡️fast travel to stormhill then quit out before it loads➡️now you’re in the main farum azula area without progressing regularly through the game

Should be considered a glitch

• Options
    edited February 2023
    They let wrong warp into no glich runs? Strange. The speedrun community can be... strange.... sometimes.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's really not that uncommon for them to kind of sub-divide down into "no glitches...except for this one type that we actually do want to be able to use"

I mean all speedrun rules are self-imposed anyway so whatever floats their boat I guess

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The rules are probably whatever they need to be to be compatible with a streaming schedule.

• Options
    I like the stuff where it takes incredible skill and timing, like the insane lines people take on Torrent, but those at least are within the parameters of the game.

Tricking the game into putting you somewhere you’re legit not supposed to be yet just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Wasn't feeling Salt and Sanctuary at first until I found my first two handed weapon and it just cleaves everything.

Now I'm in my element.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The 1.0 wrong warps were insane lol. Dunno if that was the right term for it but you could warp across huge sections of the map. But it needed very accurate inputs so it became an RNG fest of who could get the most strung together the fastest heh.

• Options
    I did a little searching and I do believe that’s what they’re called.

In my mind it’s like when DS3 speedrunners would do what I’ll call the “long fall” glitch, jumping from a height that should be fatal but then quitting out before the YOU DIED pops up, and then when they reload they’re safely at the bottom.

If I was in charge of speedrunning I’d disallow the quit-reload trick too.

I do admire the skill it takes to pull those moves off though

Half the time I go to summon an ash spirit I end up doing a random gesture instead (which i can almost never replicate on purpose)

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My favorite speedruns are those that clear the game more or less legitimately. I don't find it interesting that someone found a corner of the map where if you jump just like this you teleport to the end of the game.

I'd rather watch a longer, but more detailed run of someone who actually moves through the game.

So an Elden Ring game where someone plays from start, rolls up and crushes Margit then Rennala then Radahn without breaking the map then moves to Leyndell. That's awesome. Jumping Torrent off the map is not.

Anyway, I've been trying to play Jedi Fallen Order, but I'm pretty sure Elden Ring has broken my brain with how action platformers are supposed to play. The combat in Fallen Order is so floaty. There's no weight to any one movement or attack. Your lightsaber is just floating all over the place and the enemies are weightless. They just kind of bump into you.

At least in Elden Ring the combat is deliberate. I know where my character is going and how they are going to finish their attack.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    knitdan wrote: »
    I like the stuff where it takes incredible skill and timing, like the insane lines people take on Torrent, but those at least are within the parameters of the game.

Tricking the game into putting you somewhere you’re legit not supposed to be yet just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Then you’re looking for challenge runs, not speedruns.

A speedrun is literally do everything as fast as possible, and skipping things is always faster than not skipping things.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2023
    ... unless it's a speedrun of a category where you put restrictions on what you're allowed to do, like however you'd need to technically word it to make it "progress through and beat the game normally without any tricks or unintended sequence breaking"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ... unless it's a speedrun of a category where you put restrictions on what you're allowed to do, like however you'd need to technically word it to make it "progress through and beat the game normally without any tricks or unintended sequence breaking"

I think people think of AGDQ things when they think of speedrunning, when the AGDQ stuff is usually chosen around what's fun to watch. It's probably the reason we've had Dark Souls there a kajillion times but Elden Ring likely won't be back since 90% of that run is watching a horse float.

Games like Super Metroid are basically perfect for that, because the skill ceiling is impossibly high and there's not a lot of ways to get skips.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    This guy has a pretty good video about speedrunning in general but Dark Souls in specifics, especially having to do with Wrong-Warp stuff and why the evolution of speed runs are so interesting to them. I enjoy watching stuff like AGDQ because it's like watching an athlete so proficient at their game that it looks effortless, but they also talk about the immense effort of an entire community that went into finding some of these glitches and secrets. It certainly breaks the game beyond anything I could do, but it can be fun for me to see just how far they take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Say @Enlong, I was wondering what all bosses you ended up needing jarwight for in that consumables only run you did.

• Options
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Before I watch, does it dive into the very real possibility that Miquella's a super creep?

• Options
    Boc is so goddamn heartwarming.

I'm gonna become Elden Lord. I'm going to do it for you, lil buddy.

*hugs while trying not to tear up*

• Options
    Making my way through Mt Gelmir, as you do

See a message “rainbow stones lead to treasure”
    Knew it had to be a trap, just wanted to see what happened. Well played, Patches. Not even mad. Multiple grace sites nearby so I didn’t really lose any progress.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I've been doing my Phalanx build/challenge run. Only spear and shield, no dodge rolling. I started with the Spike Spear and Brass Shield moved up eventually to Vike's Spear and the Eclipse shield, and ultimately to the Fingerprint shield. Primarily using Barricade to help eat attacks.

It's been interesting since I've had to relearn how to fight certain enemies. For some guys you can just stand and tank behind the shield while you mechanically poke them again and again. While others you have to really learn where to move and when to make your attacks. Also adds can be a big problem. You need to constantly try to keep everyone in front of you since you can't just dodge around and make space. Rennala was surprisingly difficult because of her summons later and spell spam. I actually had to resort to using a summon spirit just to keep her busy. In contrast other bosses like Radahn or Margott were almost trivial.

It's big weakness is also anything with build up. Getting Vike's spear was an ordeal since all his attacks build up madness. So you have to be real careful with spacing to avoid his attacks. Mohg was also a chore with his constant bleed and AOE attacks. I ultimately had to bring in a PC summon to take him down. I'm down to Malenia (whoever never beaten before) and I'm not sure I can even with summoning someone else in. She doesn't do any real damage to me but every time she hits she's healing so I can't make up the damage fast enough to bring her down. She might just get left out.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Knew it had to be a trap, just wanted to see what happened. Well played, Patches. Not even mad. Multiple grace sites nearby so I didn’t really lose any progress.
    Oh I've never seen that one. Where was it, exactly?

• Options
    Boc is so goddamn heartwarming.

I'm gonna become Elden Lord. I'm going to do it for you, lil buddy.

*hugs while trying not to tear up*

this is a spoiler, but it's work spoling.
    Find this item:
    https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Prattling+Pate+You're+Beautiful
    use it to tell Boc how you feel, don't make the same mistake I did!

• Options
    edited February 2023
    cB557 wrote: »

Oh I've never seen that one. Where was it, exactly?

Just a bit north of the Gelmir Hero’s Grave, before you cross the rocks to the Grafted Scion and ladders.

There should be a message in white, and a few rainbow stones nearby

Be warned
    you get kicked into the pack of basilisks in front of Seethewater Cave

knitdan on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I have to fight two crucible knights at the same time?!

• Options
    No

You
    Get

To

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm only one hour into DS3 and wow it just feels so much better already than DS2. The movement, the rolling, the flask drinking all just feels right from the start. There was a lot I liked about DS2, but this is just starting out so much better. Plus the setting is awesome, I'm pumped to get into it further.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I have to fight two crucible knights at the same time?!

If the situation sucks: hit the bricks; walk away.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.