Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I like how you get some cryptic lore regarding Radagon once you meet the Turtle Pope, but then it’s several hours if not dozens until that pays off once you reach Leyndell.

And you have be be heavily specced into INT to even see it, which is why I burned 2 larval tears for the first time ever…one to jack up my INT, and the other to go back to normal.
    The reveal that Radagon is Marika was less impactful since I’d already finished the game once, but it was still pretty cool
    This is interesting.

How does having high int reveal this? Already been through the capital with 80 int but hadn't noticed anything.
    it's part of goldmask's questline. there is a statue in the capital you have to cast a spell on to reveal something about radagon's nature.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Need 37 Int to be able to cast Law of Regression in the right place.

Though, you can do that with minimum int with the right stack of buffs and gear.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I like how you get some cryptic lore regarding Radagon once you meet the Turtle Pope, but then it’s several hours if not dozens until that pays off once you reach Leyndell.

And you have be be heavily specced into INT to even see it, which is why I burned 2 larval tears for the first time ever…one to jack up my INT, and the other to go back to normal.
    The reveal that Radagon is Marika was less impactful since I’d already finished the game once, but it was still pretty cool
    This is interesting.

How does having high int reveal this? Already been through the capital with 80 int but hadn't noticed anything.

-You need to have progressed the Brother Corhyn-Goldmask questline so he’s up near the Colosseum
    -you need to have defeated the first area boss
    Godfrey, first Elden Lord
    -loot the item from above the site of grace you get from beating said boss
    -give it to Corhyn and buy Law of Regression, which needs 37 INT
    -from the Erdtree Sanctuary site of grace go west down a lift and solve the puzzle
    -(optional) tell Goldmask what you found to progress their quest

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i just got to the malenia door again on str/int man and have no idea what the game plan will be for this one is gonna be

i probably can't light roll without changing weapons, which i'm not super happy about. coukd run a greatshield, but i don't have one on this guy. could try double bonk with radahn swords. could git gud mode and do two-handed meteoric ore katana with light roll; i'd have bleed but no good weapon art

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm still hauling people through Radagon with my INT build and Loretta's Mastery. Just cast and run away, it does a ton of damage and you don't have to really aim.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I’m amazed at how well Pest Threads does against the Elden Beast

You’d think
    An unimaginable cosmic horror out of time and space
    would have a defense against magic homing mosquitoes or whatever those things are

knitdan on
  • Options
    bold of you to assume the magic mosquitos aren't also channeling a cosmic horror out of time and space

• Options
    I've grown to like the Radagon fight, but Elden Beast is still just so stupid. The size of the arena, the huge pauses in the fight so the stupid thing can swim around.

• Options
    The three types of boss fights:

1. Big enemy in a tiny room, they can hit you from anywhere
    2. Humongous enemy in a room the size of Texas and every time you hit them in Houston they run away to El Paso
    3. Humanoid enemy roughly the same size as the player . Lmao i hope you like dying.

• Options
    I think you just reminded me to go back to the early hero grave that has that ulcerated Tree Spirit in the tiny room

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    After doing the tree spirit in war-dead catacombs while fairly underleveled for it, 1 doesn't really phase me anymore. It helps that tree spirits are one of the bosses where you just get right up in their side and a third of their attacks will just whiff and another third will push you out of the way of the hitbox. But for that last third of attacks, I am somehow able to recognize that when the bit of its torso that I can see wriggles like this I gotta dodge this way, and when it wriggles like that I gotta dodge that way.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The three types of boss fights:

1. Big enemy in a tiny room, they can hit you from anywhere
    2. Humongous enemy in a room the size of Texas and every time you hit them in Houston they run away to El Paso
    3. Humanoid enemy roughly the same size as the player . Lmao i hope you like dying.

The amount of chickenshit enemies is the worst thing for me. I hate the AI for the Tree Sentinel, Fire Giant, and most of the dragons. I would honestly rather fight Melania a hundred times than chase bosses around an area while they swing their 50 foot long weapons and/or lob AoE attacks at me.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    At least with those fights you can hop on Torrent to catch up, the last boss arena is preposterous on foot.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I found astel and the deer fights to be more annoying than elden beast tbh.... /shrug

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    cB557 wrote: »
    After doing the tree spirit in war-dead catacombs while fairly underleveled for it, 1 doesn't really phase me anymore. It helps that tree spirits are one of the bosses where you just get right up in their side and a third of their attacks will just whiff and another third will push you out of the way of the hitbox. But for that last third of attacks, I am somehow able to recognize that when the bit of its torso that I can see wriggles like this I gotta dodge this way, and when it wriggles like that I gotta dodge that way.

I got to this level fighting the ulcerated tree spirit in the closet under the hero's grave, good times

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Alexandier wrote: »
    At least with those fights you can hop on Torrent to catch up, the last boss arena is preposterous on foot.

I still don't find hopping on torrent tor run a big circle around a football field of fire/frost/whatever so I can jump in and hopefully get more than one whack at a big enemies' ankle all that fun.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I still don't find hopping on torrent tor run a big circle around a football field of fire/frost/whatever so I can jump in and hopefully get more than one whack at a big enemies' ankle all that fun.

I stay on Torrent and whack at the ankles, or fire magic at the target. But that's my build, mostly magic, with a magic sword.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I stay on Torrent and whack at the ankles, or fire magic at the target. But that's my build, mostly magic, with a magic sword.

Those fights and deathbirds seemed to be tailored for magic while giving melee classes very little options. My most recent build was dex and it could get very frustrating as I discovered fights that I abused the rock sling spell in the past turned out to have little other viable strategies beyond a shitload of patience.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Salt didn't take with me. I dropped a huge chunk of XP after stumbling on a boss, and when getting back to the boss I died instantly to a flying log trap that hadn't been on the path to that boss the first time around. After that I was 'nope' and refunded.

Some other metroids I like besides Blasphemous are Moonscars and Ghostsong, both very fun games with great stories and settings.

Have you tried Grime?

And thank you for linking those, I'd been waiting for Moonscars to come out from at least a year ago when I played a demo if it during a demo-event on Steam, but apparently it just came out with no fanfare.

I did! But it was on my old computer and it kept blowing it up so I also refunded it. It also seemed really, really hard. I should think about giving it another try, got a new rig that never blows up and I remember hearing about DLC.

And yeah, Moonscars was great. I was so captivated by the setting I even wrote a story guide about it, trying to wring out all the bits in the vein of Vaatividya stuff. I hope to hear of DLC for them as well.

Also looking forwards to Silksong, Blasphemous II, Last Faith, and The Last Case of Benedict Fox, all of which have rumblings of 2023 launches.

Gonna be on a real Metroidvania kick this year.

Have you taken a look at Elderand? It just came out today, 15% off. I liked the demo a lot. Had kind of a dark fantasy vibe and a variety of fun equipment and abilities. Felt like it gave me enough rope to hang myself in some of the harder fights, and a small amount of grinding can max you out on healing potions and levels if you need a bit of an edge, but it also wasn't super brutal.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    i don't find torrent very useful for fire giant. always surprising when people use him there. seems like a bad mix of big AoEs and an absolute mountain of an HP bar that doesn’t play nice with dinky horseback hits.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Torrent is useful for getting around him when he is doing orbs or the ground slam pillars of fire thing. I used him just to get back to his ankles on the ground faster heh.

• Options
    Torrent usefulness against fire giant can be dependent on how good you are with timing the i-frames when you jump off him. Also, after the very beginning of the second phase I find it very hard to figure out when his hands will be back on the ground long enough to get a hit in so I try to get the damage in early then, hopefully force a stun, and then hack away at his ankles on top of torrent for the final 10% or so of his health. It's lame but its safe.

• Options
    Not that Elden Ring didn't have enough going on. But a 'climb your monster' option like Dragons Dogma would have been cool for the bigger events

• Options
    I don’t use Torrent for the fire giant because it doesn’t let you when you’ve got a spirit summon and an NPC summon

And I’m better on foot anyway, i can never get the timing right for horseback attacks

• Options
    I don’t use Torrent for the fire giant because it doesn’t let you when you’ve got a spirit summon and an NPC summon

And I’m better on foot anyway, i can never get the timing right for horseback attacks

Wait wait wait is that why my torrent summons kept failing?!

This game

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I am almost 100% positive you can use Torrent while you have a spirit summon active.

• Options
    I am almost 100% positive you can use Torrent while you have a spirit summon active.

Sometimes I run into this issue of I summon torrent and then I immediately get thrown off

• Options
    edited February 2023
    There are boss arenas where you have to choose between torrent and spirit ashes.

Butters on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    There are boss arenas where you have to choose between torrent and spirit ashes.

And the Fire Giant has a summon outside the arena for the big Pot guy (feel bad I can't remember his name right now), and using this summon prevents using Torrent for whatever reason.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Technically it’s just inside the arena but yes

I’ve tested it and summoning Alexander The Warrior Pot seems to prevent Torrent summon there. I’ve summoned Torrent without the pot in that fight.

The only fights I really like using Torrent for are certain dragon and erdtree avatar fights, just for the extra mobility

knitdan on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Technically it’s just inside the arena but yes

I’ve tested it and summoning Alexander The Warrior Pot seems to prevent Torrent summon there. I’ve summoned Torrent without the pot in that fight.

The only fights I really like using Torrent for are certain dragon and erdtree avatar fights, just for the extra mobility
    Alexander is a summon summon, spirit summons are the ones you use the spirit ashes for. The former prevents you from summoning Torrent, the latter doesn't.

• Options
    My favorite thing is when I’m struggling with a boss so I look on the internet to see where I’m going wrong and 80% of the responses are “this is the easiest fight, just use (skill or weapon that was OP at launch but got massively nerfed later)”

• Options
    which fight and whats ur build

i compulsively fight everybody sweaty and cannot give cheese advice

• Options
    Oh no it was just something I was thinking about and remembering back to my first playthrough

Like every other boss had some joker going
    “just use Flame of the Redmanes, kills everything in 2 hits”
    “Hoarfrost stooooomp”
    “Rivers of blood”

In the comments

I’m currently not having any issues though I am coming up on the end gauntlet of bosses both optional and required

But to answer your question I’m basically going Fai-Arc with a minor in Quality. Heavy on the dragon incantations.

My current main weapon is the Uchi with FotR (which is still good even if nerfed) but occasionally I switch to the Blaphemous Blade for farming albinaurics at mohgs palace

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Boy does this
    Shabriri guy make a terrible case for doing what he says when everything I have ever seen written in item descriptions makes him sound like a dangerous lunatic thats despised and drove people to insanity.

He's offering me a path to save Malena but I don't believe him at all.

Even if I did, he would have lost me at madly screaming "MAY CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD!" over and over again at the end of his proposal there.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    You might find some shit that makes you rethink if any of the Lands Between deserve to survive.

• Options
    the weird thing with that questline is
    yeah shaibriri is kind of just a wackadoo weirdo in your interaction, but every other element that ties into the questline is like, some of the best and most affecting writing in any of these games. the hyetta quest and vyke's lore - and even the cut content with the nomadic merchants - are the best parts of the story by far.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    It's not "LOL chaos is so fun lets burn it all down for funsies"

It's "Chaos take the world, because it is not worth saving. This structure exists to uplift the nobility at the expense of the endless torture and suffering of the common people. Let it all burn down, and maybe something worthwhile can rise from the remains." It's closer to the Put Out the Flame ending from DS3 than anything. Within the context of the current state of the Lands Between, this is actually a compelling cause.

It's kinda crazy they cut the Nomad stuff. Most other endings have motivation, and the Frenzied Flame ending needs more than "lol so random XD",

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Shabriri is like

3dnb1g31ug0k.png
    Get in the fucking hand Tarnished

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    It's not "LOL chaos is so fun lets burn it all down for funsies"

It's "Chaos take the world, because it is not worth saving. This structure exists to uplift the nobility at the expense of the endless torture and suffering of the common people. Let it all burn down, and maybe something worthwhile can rise from the remains." It's closer to the Put Out the Flame ending from DS3 than anything. Within the context of the current state of the Lands Between, this is actually a compelling cause.

It's kinda crazy they cut the Nomad stuff. Most other endings have motivation, and the Frenzied Flame ending needs more than "lol so random XD",
    I don't have all the lore together yet but he doesn't seem to have a real solution though, he's just adding more dangerous and needless sufferring because of his nihilism.

This madness he appears to embraces turns people into zombie monsters that will kill or infect anyone and everything.
    If an outer god is behind this, for me, the frenzied flame's power is far too horrifying and too self destructive to be trusted.

If this power would remain in the lands between afterwards or cause it to become stronger, that feels like too great of a risk to embrace.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile