Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    It's not "LOL chaos is so fun lets burn it all down for funsies"

It's "Chaos take the world, because it is not worth saving. This structure exists to uplift the nobility at the expense of the endless torture and suffering of the common people. Let it all burn down, and maybe something worthwhile can rise from the remains." It's closer to the Put Out the Flame ending from DS3 than anything. Within the context of the current state of the Lands Between, this is actually a compelling cause.

It's kinda crazy they cut the Nomad stuff. Most other endings have motivation, and the Frenzied Flame ending needs more than "lol so random XD",
    I don't have all the lore together yet but he doesn't seem to have a real solution though, he's just adding more dangerous and needless sufferring because of his nihilism.

This madness he appears to embraces turns people into zombie monsters that will kill or infect anyone and everything.
    If an outer god is behind this, for me, the frenzied flame's power is far too horrifying and too self destructive to be trusted.

If this power would remain in the lands between afterwards or cause it to become stronger, that feels like too great of a risk to embrace.

If you follow the Frenzied Flame quest line to it's end, you'll find
    The Golden Order completely agreed with you, and subsequently
    chucked everyone touched by the flame into the deepest pit they could find and locked it tight while they were still alive

mrpaku on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    It's not "LOL chaos is so fun lets burn it all down for funsies"

It's "Chaos take the world, because it is not worth saving. This structure exists to uplift the nobility at the expense of the endless torture and suffering of the common people. Let it all burn down, and maybe something worthwhile can rise from the remains." It's closer to the Put Out the Flame ending from DS3 than anything. Within the context of the current state of the Lands Between, this is actually a compelling cause.

It's kinda crazy they cut the Nomad stuff. Most other endings have motivation, and the Frenzied Flame ending needs more than "lol so random XD",
    it's a step forward from the Lord of Darkness endings of dark souls in that there's no intent to reset and allow something new to grow from the ashes. it's explicitly antinatalist, saying life and suffering are inextricably intertwined and the only way to end suffering is to end life itself. the frenzied flame is the ideology of the people that have suffered the most, the cursed, the afflicted and infirm, the persecuted, who want to shut the whole thing down and melt it down so it can never function again

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say it causes me deep sadness that the serpent hunter doesn't retain its unique powers outside of the boss its built around.

Its too cool. ;_;

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say it causes me deep sadness that the serpent hunter doesn't retain its unique powers outside of the boss its built around.

Its too cool. ;_;

Storm Blade is pretty close...
    https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Ash+of+War:+Storm+Blade

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Trying to eat but all I can think about is
    Tanith munching on some dead Rykard brain.

The one time you don't want From's sound department to be as good as it is

Ugh.

*gives up and puts down apple*

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Dung Eater ending is the proper one

fuck y'all suffer forever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    In my current run of the game, I have run into a ton of weird shit and I don’t know if it’s an actual bug or from bypassing certain triggers.

The latest is that the bloodhound knight set just didn’t drop from the particular bhk who drops it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm almost done with my Phalanx playthrough. I think I still want to do another playthrough though after, but something less demanding. Anyone got a fun kind of sort of broken OP build that they would suggest?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Dung Eater ending is the proper one

fuck y'all suffer forever
    I could get behind this but only if it puts the curse on the demi gods.

Especially Godrick. The little shitbird.

Eat/curse the rich!

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh cool, that cleanrot knight spirit ash can cast a thing that gives both of you golden vow and regen. Doesn't mention that in its description.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i just got to the malenia door again on str/int man and have no idea what the game plan will be for this one is gonna be

i probably can't light roll without changing weapons, which i'm not super happy about. coukd run a greatshield, but i don't have one on this guy. could try double bonk with radahn swords. could git gud mode and do two-handed meteoric ore katana with light roll; i'd have bleed but no good weapon art
    life uh, finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blsFNbNDPkE

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah I do not have the reaction time to fight her straight up. Took her down last night with my INT character by spamming Ranni's Dark Moon while Tiche kept her attention.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Trying to eat but all I can think about is
    Tanith munching on some dead Rykard brain.

The one time you don't want From's sound department to be as good as it is

Ugh.

*gives up and puts down apple*

Don't look at me
    I killed her. Was immediately murdered by her crucible Knight. Came back like fifty levels later.

Wore her mask and her knights armor for like th next one hundred hours of the game.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    thinking about running spiked caestus on my new arcane character now, but the war cry R2 feels kinda like a downgrade? and i already have a few weapons on this character already

maybe it would make more sense to do it on my bleed character, but it doesn't fit the vibe as much

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Feeling pretty good about my current build

Blasphemous Blade +10
    Dragon Seal +10 (various Dragon incants+PestThreads,LightningSpear, SwarmOFlies+ ScarletAonia)

Spellblade Set

Shard of Alexander
    Green Turtle Talisman
    erdtrees favor +1
    Gold scarab

Level 159
    Vig-40
    Mind-30
    End-20
    Str-30
    Dex-35
    Int-7
    Faith-46
    Arc-30
    took Mailketh down in less than a minute

Malenia was fewer than ten attempts

I don’t even have the Tiche summon on this character

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    -goes back to War-Dead Catacombs
    -finally able to do real damage to these mooks
    -they drop fewer runes than the Albinaurics at Moghwyn Palace😂

• Options
    If you're mopping up stuff post-game, there's an erdtree's favor +2 you can pick up.

• Options
    Oh yeah I grabbed that already…I’ve got a whole checklist before I wrap this NG up

The funny thing is i can usually remember where an item is, just not always specifically what

My real dilemma at the moment is do I start with a new character for a sorcery run or do I just respec and then go to NG+

This was supposed to be a madness run but aside from ticking off the Frenzied Flame ending, madness doesn’t really do much for me

• Options
    I usually find it more fun to start a new character when I want to try a new build, rather than going into NG+ and respeccing. With the NG+ option you just have everything from the start and use it for the entire game. And while that is nice in its own right, it means you're just doing the same things the whole game. With a fresh character, you get to see your build change and grow as you bring it online, and I also just enjoy the little puzzle of figuring out what the key pieces of your build are and how to route to get them as efficiently as possible. And that also means you can ease into your toolset piece by piece instead of just looking at everything at once and having to make sense of it.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Did a lot of work in DS3 yesterday. Was stuck on pontiff as it sat. I haven't given it a serious go in a bit because wasn't a fan of the low attack window design. Well cleared everything up to great archives yesterday with my new friend. Great club.

I'm still not a fan of the design. I feel it is not really making things harder in an smart way. It just is the easier way by adding in twitch play. I am enjoying the game though. One shot a few of those bosses on the way.

Game is a huge DS fan boy game though with going back to all the same areas heh. Only a bit left of main game left.

• Options
    If you're already doing a great club and getting tired of the sort of dodging DS3 expects of you, you could swap to an equivalent sized weapon with the perseverance weapon art. It is surprising the sort of bosses you can just win trades with with that.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah, I might end up taking a long break from regular play and just do short bursts on the weekend. This is just taking way too long to finish.

its as close to a 10/10 as a Souls game (and a masterpiece) can get but I got too many other games I need to get to.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    If you're already doing a great club and getting tired of the sort of dodging DS3 expects of you, you could swap to an equivalent sized weapon with the perseverance weapon art. It is surprising the sort of bosses you can just win trades with with that.

Perseverance is a good’un

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I was just doing a str run. I had Vordt hammer before and while it was fun it was getting really slow hit some of the windows. Great club seems much faster and it does deeps. I was messing around with the 2hander from the giant boss and the dragonslayer axe too.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    experimenting with a 55/55 str/int split on that character

pros:

1. casting is not a joke
    2. improvement, if marginal, to AR of most weapons i would run
    3. meteorite of astel does GOOD damage in the right circumstance. nuked the farum dragon knight down half his health, and he an asshole

cons:

1. losing like 50 AR on the two-handed Ruins Greatsword, i hate it. slight loss on starscourge but much less (only about 15-20 AR)
    2. harder up for stats generally; i can only run onyx lord and royal greatsword with a dex talisman, losing a little bit of HP

weirdly enough the meteorite staff and lusat's are still pretty much neck and neck for my purposes; i'm debating whether it's worth it to drop a stone into the latter. it ekes out a small damage advantage at max upgrade level and weighs a little less but has the FP penalty. on the other hand i don't cast very much and a few hundo extra damage out of a astel bomb is a few hundo free damage.

Elendil on
  • Options
    i finally leveled up the reduvia on my bleed character and i severely underestimated this thing

i don't love it in open combat but it's a brutal boss killer

• Options
    Ok yeah sorcery is a lot of fun

except in close quarters

Like every dungeon and catacomb

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    This sounds a lot like you're not using carian slicer or the shotgun/wave spell.

Slicer is fucking broken.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    yeah sorcery is more fun in close quarters

you can pull out a big magic cartoon hammer

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carian piercer is also amazing. It's one of those kinda slow but super long range attacks that the AI just walks into every single time, and the full charge will deal a full knockdown on nearly anything that has an animation for that, and you can trap guys in stunlock with that.

cB557 on
  • Options
    Phalanx spells are great for baiting and do a ton of stun damage.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    And if you haven't tried it, the AI can't dodge Night spells since they're supposed to be invisible.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Huh, like they're good at causing that little flinch on hit, or they're good at causing full on poise breaks that you can riposte?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    the other day i decided to beeline malenia and beat her on my arcane bleed build because i decided i needed the drip

and it was like no big thing. not that i didn't die a number of times and like, it's a bleed build (bloody helice not rivers!) so of course

but man i never thought i'd be casually knocking off malenia, like ever. i was so disgusted with the fight that i gave up and summoned my first run, then so annoyed that i did that that i beat my head against it for hours on my second, and afterward i still low key thought it was a fluke.

the feeling of finally pushing through all the seeming insurmountable bullshit, making it to the other side and feeling the renewed confidence is so nostalgic and reminds of how i felt when i first fell down the rabbit hole of these games.

I love Big Brother the Malenia fight

Elendil on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Huh, like they're good at causing that little flinch on hit, or they're good at causing full on poise breaks that you can riposte?

The second one. Sorry for the confusion.

• Options
    I’ve not been all that impressed by the phalanx spells tbh. The time it takes to cast them is usually better taken up casting something else in my limited experience

So far all I have in that category are the starter sword phlanx and the greatsword one

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the other day i decided to beeline malenia and beat her on my arcane bleed build because i decided i needed the drip

and it was like no big thing. not that i didn't die a number of times and like, it's a bleed build (bloody helice not rivers!) so of course

but man i never thought i'd be casually knocking off malenia, like ever. i was so disgusted with the fight that i gave up and summoned my first run, then so annoyed that i did that that i beat my head against it for hours on my second, and afterward i still low key thought it was a fluke.

the feeling of finally pushing through all the seeming insurmountable bullshit, making it to the other side and feeling the renewed confidence is so nostalgic and reminds of how i felt when i first fell down the rabbit hole of these games.

I love Big Brother the Malenia fight

He's beginning to believe

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I think i know what you mean but I’m still chuckling at the idea that one can “beeline” a fight that you need to have progressed to the lategame even to access

knitdan on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Also what's the deal with calling it a beeline anyway? Bees do not fly in very straight lines, in my experience!

And how about that airplane food. Why don't they just make all the food out of the black box?!

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think i know what you mean but I’m still chuckling at the idea that one can “beeline” a fight that you need to have progressed to the lategame even to access
    my character had progressed up to mountaintop already, so i just blitzed through a couple areas