As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

post poutine for canadians to judge you with

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    aden9nod8yp0.jpg

@Cello please explain

Hmmm, do they put syrup in the toum?

(We do have a culturally significant Lebanese shawarma game in Ottawa, it's in every single strip mall, but the unique to Canada thing is Halifax Donair, so... gonna need you to report back)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    77v1dxdshcdn.jpg

Bob Evans isn't even trying

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    poutinenanny

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I must know more about Halifax donair

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »

If you eat it drunk on a Halifax pier at 2 in the morning, don't throw your pleather jacket into a washing machine after it gets completely soaked in Donair sauce

You won't be able to wear it the next day when it's pretty cold out

Steam
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Cello wrote: »

If you eat it drunk on a Halifax pier at 2 in the morning, don't throw your pleather jacket into a washing machine after it gets completely soaked in Donair sauce

d2lbvxr8ni5b.png

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

My pleather jacket disintegrated already

Also where's Halifax

Also also how cold is pretty cold in Canada?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I was looking up what a donair is in comparison to a Döner and thought it looks more like a Greek gyros. Turns out it came from a Greek immigrant in the 70s?

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I think the big thing separating Halifax donairs from similar foods is the condensed milk-based sauce.
    When I lived in Halifax, I always found it too sweet and would ask for it to be held. A pita full of meat and cheese was still satisfying for me.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Cold depends on where you are. For example, Halifax is in Nova Scotia, on the east coast, next to the Atlantic Ocean. So it fucking sucks and gets cold as hell.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    To make nice fries really demands a deep fryer which is one of the most inconvenient kitchen tools possible so I'm ok with leaving them the purview of commercial kitchens that will use one all day.

You can deep fry pretty well in an enameled dutch oven, in my experience, although I've never tried fries.

The biggest issue with deep frying at home, in my opinion, is trying to find a proper way to dispose of the used cooking oil

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    To make nice fries really demands a deep fryer which is one of the most inconvenient kitchen tools possible so I'm ok with leaving them the purview of commercial kitchens that will use one all day.

You can deep fry pretty well in an enameled dutch oven, in my experience, although I've never tried fries.

The biggest issue with deep frying at home, in my opinion, is trying to find a proper way to dispose of the used cooking oil

the sink, obviously

that's a problem for future you or your landlord

• Options
    I just looked it up and learned that seattle does curbside pick up of used cooking oil when they do recycling pickup

This is dangerous knowledge

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A perk of working at Lowe's was that the restaurant next door poured all their used cooking oil into an unsecured grease tank right next to where I usually parked. So once I filled up a two gallon jug I'd just bring it to work with me and pour it in there. Since they didn't open until 11 and I got to work at 5:30 AM, it was an extremely low-stress reverse heist.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Do resturants sell it to biofuel companies or do they have to pay the biofuel companies to pick it up? I can't tell if I'm giving away money or not.

And now I'm remembering that there's a simpsons episode about this

• Options
    I don't know! A big truck came and sucked it all out every now and then, but I don't know what direction the money was going in.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My waste management said to pour your used cooking oil into a bowl, put it in the fridge, and let it get firm, then put that into a baggie or something and throw it out with your regular garbage.

But that said, everyone knows you can re-use cooking oil a few times, right?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Look you can't just say Halifax pier all willy nilly, because every time you do I have to listen to Barrett's Privateers.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Look you can't just say Halifax pier all willy nilly, because every time you do I have to listen to Barrett's Privateers.

Welp

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxFA6AQAhSQ

• Options
    3boujkik5tub.png

Southern Poutine, Grill on the Hill. Fries, brown gravy, pulled pork, eggs over easy, shredded cheese.

The fries are on point, and the gravy's pretty good. It's the same stuff they put on their Memphis burger. However, not only is the cheese not in curd form, it's practically nonexistent. The search continues.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Someone shared this meme picture in Discord and it reminded me of this thread's activities a little bit, so I thought I'd share.

im52zn9anszi.png

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

A plastic funnel into an old rinsed out milk jug and when it gets full you just toss it in the trash.

My biggest issue with frying is the whole fucking house smells like oil.

If I decide we need fried chicken of some kind I set up a folding table in driveway.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I had poutine for lunch today!

The sauce was piping hot! I think I burned parts of my lips and mouth!

I learned that's why a poutine needs a cheese that requires a lot of heat to melt: so that, when the client sees/manipulates the melted cheese, they know the gravy is cool enough to eat.

Science facts in spoilers
    Because cheese curds have a density of 98g/ml and normal cheese have a density of 1g/ml, they require more thermal energy to melt than the latter. Because of cold Canadian winters, diner owners probably liked to keep their gravy consistently hot. Something something two heat sources, something something lower heating bill.

Considering that, in the lore of the invention of poutine, adding cheese curds to gravied fries was a client suggestion, I think they encountered the same "scalding gravy" problem I did. I wonder how many clients and how many cheeses were involved in finding out that curds worked the best...

• Options
    I choose to believe the lore wholeheartedly, as it is both fascinating and brilliant. Something to keep an eye out for if I find some goddamn poutine around here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Are you sure about the 98g/ml, because that sounds all kinds of broken.

0.98g/ml maybe?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Whole. Heartedly.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Are you sure about the 98g/ml, because that sounds all kinds of broken.

0.98g/ml maybe?

*Checks actual source* Yup, you're right.

80g77j7vntbd.png

I blame Google.

66hk8y056ca0.png

And myself for not doing a basic reality check.

Elaro on
  • Options
    Isn't 1g/ml the density of water at atmospheric pressure? That's what makes baking with a scale way easier. Because one ml of water will weigh one gram.

I dunno if those numbers add up to me either. I found a source for the 98g number but it's a site called science direct and I'm not sure of their credibility given how shitty Google is for answers like this anymore. I'm not sure if cheese curds really weight 98 grams per cubic centimeter like that?

• Options
    Isn't 1g/ml the density of water at atmospheric pressure? That's what makes baking with a scale way easier. Because one ml of water will weigh one gram.

I dunno if those numbers add up to me either. I found a source for the 98g number but it's a site called science direct and I'm not sure of their credibility given how shitty Google is for answers like this anymore. I'm not sure if cheese curds really weight 98 grams per cubic centimeter like that?

>_< Google omitted a period from their preview. That threw off the actual value by 2 orders of magnitude. Machine Learning yey!

• Options
    Yeah Google just removed that decimal

Fuck you Google

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

I don't know if it changes based on elevation/temperature - I'd guess it does but conventionally 1g of water is 1 ml of water is 1cm^3 of water

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

I don't know if it changes based on elevation/temperature - I'd guess it does but conventionally 1g of water is 1 ml of water is 1cm^3 of water

It does I think but only really small amounts

That's one of the reasons directions are different on packages of food for different elevations?

I could be talking out my ass here though?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Density changes in water with altitude are negligible, the big change is that a higher elevations and therefore lower atmospheric pressure, water will boil at a lower temperature and freeze at a higher temperature.

So if your thing is meant to be cooked at 100 C for a certain period of time but water is boiling at 95 C, you need to cook it longer.

• Options
    Okay smarty pants is elevation why my ears pop whenever I drive up into Michigan? (Toledo is literally a swamp)

• Options
    Okay smarty pants is elevation why my ears pop whenever I drive up into Michigan? (Toledo is literally a swamp)

Yup! Your ears are really sensitive to pressure changes.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    can one of the poitine experts help me understand why curds are so vital compared to more conventional cheese? I had poutine the other day with real curds (at last they claimed they were, I'm no cheeseologist) and while it was quite good, it didn't seem that transformative of a difference compared to other "poutines" with other cheese varieties

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    tastes different

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It's the texture and freshness of the curd that are the important properties

The curds are thick enough not to fully melt so you get a fun texture variation with the fries and gravy that makes it feel more decadent; thinner cheeses will not have the same texture or flavour

And the curds should squeak against your teeth when you bite into them or they're not fresh/likely older than a day

Steam
  • Options
    it's like hey, don't get me wrong. potatoes, cheese, gravy. no matter what version of those you're running you're probably having a pretty good time

but there's nuance between the kfc famous bowl and the kfc poutine

liEt3nH.png