Options

🖥️🎮 - Rivertails, Shiner & Lovebirb out today!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So in Arcanum a couple of the NPCs in every bar will challenge you to bet 500 bucks on a trivia question about the game world. I'm a little bit worried about how instantly I can recall the answer to hard-hitting questions like "The Ring of Brodgar is located near which town?" and "In the Glimmering forests, there are small creatures called 'Si'im tala' in the elven tongue. How is this translated?"

I've answered about a dozen questions correctly without missing any so far. Good to know that apparently there hasn't been any pressing need for that memory space since 2004.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    edit: this man was a fucker!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Gus is another great example of how cancel culture isn't real. I didn't know he started making videos again.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I played another next fest game I Am Future

I liked this one best so far. You're some guy who wakes up from a cryopod on a rooftop. The surrounding city is flooded, and the rooftop is filled with plants and debris. You're dismantling debris for building materials, with the help of your cyborg arm with saw and other tool attachments. It's basic survival, I guess they all just have to have a gimmick now. The thing I liked on this one is some of the stuff you can dismantle puts you into a minigame: I saw an electric kettle and a microwave during the demo. It turns into a mini version of Car Mechanic Simulator or PC Builder simulator, you're removing housings, unscrewing screws, and taking out circuit boards and wire for your own use. Each one is a nice chunk of resources. At night, you're invaded by blue worm things that somehow make bad plants appear, and kill your plants. Not that hard to fight, but the controls are kind of awkward. I did wishlist it though.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Gus is another great example of how cancel culture isn't real. I didn't know he started making videos again.

wait is he bad? should i remove that?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

He abused his ex.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

He abused his ex.

yeesh

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I enjoy chess, but am quite bad at it

I like the concept of it. Its universality. But I just move pieces and can think like 2 moves ahead at best.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AC3 is good! I will always be a defender of 3. The remaster is nice. I think they tweaked the final chase/combat sequence because in its original form it was way too easy to fail it a thousand times but otherwise it didn't need like, a real overhaul or anything

I will join you in being an AC3 defender. Ratonhnhaké:ton is my favorite assassin, his story has a clearer and more significant theme than (imo) any other assassin's, it was the first videogame I ever played with actual Native languages accurately represented, I love it a lot

I remember the controls being a little... Chunky? Is almost the adjective I wanna use? Like, your character is kinda lumbering and beefy, and the controls were as finicky as old school AssCreed ever was, it took some getting used to. Not sure how that's aged.

Your old blog post about it is a favorite of mine, and really helped crystallize my own thoughts on it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So in Arcanum a couple of the NPCs in every bar will challenge you to bet 500 bucks on a trivia question about the game world. I'm a little bit worried about how instantly I can recall the answer to hard-hitting questions like "The Ring of Brodgar is located near which town?" and "In the Glimmering forests, there are small creatures called 'Si'im tala' in the elven tongue. How is this translated?"

I've answered about a dozen questions correctly without missing any so far. Good to know that apparently there hasn't been any pressing need for that memory space since 2004.

I'm given to understand this is just a superpower librarians have.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    wow they put a lot of effort into making this dungeons of aether game look great

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    AC3 has the boldest story in the franchise, and it has legitimately interesting things to say, but it unquestionably suffers from feature creep. There's a lot of stuff in that game that's pointless, or that isn't fun. Also the bonus objectives in the missions are awful.

It's a good game that can't stay out of its own way

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    AC3 has the boldest story in the franchise, and it has legitimately interesting things to say, but it unquestionably suffers from feature creep. There's a lot of stuff in that game that's pointless, or that isn't fun. Also the bonus objectives in the missions are awful.

It's a good game that can't stay out of its own way

The bonus objectives really bothered me in 3, they are easily the worst in the series, at least up to that point (IV, Rogue, and Unity all have more reasonable ones as well). It is also SUPER strange that the Homestead and ship combat missions are basically secrets that the game has no interest in telling you to complete them. Two storylines, parallel to the main quest that the game doesn't properly inform you of or reward you for doing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

He abused his ex.

Is this who gus is? I was looking at my Google news topic filters and I had "gus" listed as a blocked topic and I had no idea how I managed to just block a single name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Another Steam Next Fest demo: Pan'orama

It's a Dorfromantik clone, but it has enough differences to make it its own thing

you place tiles of rock, meadow, houses, etc. and connect them to score points and go for a high score

There are quests, and they mostly look like just 'connect X number of tiles'

Tiles don't have sides, but they have types instead, and can have up to 3 types - for example, there's a rock type and a forest type, and there's a tile that combines them into a rock/forest tile

Once you earn enough points you can get a structure, which is a specific blueprint of tiles that when completed gives more tiles to place and also often has special bonuses - for example, i completed an airship structure, for for tiles in its area of influence, i could place tiles 2 away instead of adjacent to existing pieces

It also has a fun little mechanic where tiles are upgraded based on how many adjacent tiles you place next to them of the same type - i had a farmland piece that i kept stacking farms next to, and it upgraded enough to spawn a little tractor to put around the tiles. Forest tiles become denser, meadow tiles get more flowers, etc. It seems like the mixed tiles also upgrade based on what you put next to them, too, like you can have a tree growing on a boulder for a rock/forest tile.

Overall, pretty fun. Easier than Dorfromantik, so maybe not as engaging for longer periods of time, though.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Okay, I laughed at that for a solid 5 minutes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

explain it to me like i'm 4

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited February 2023

“The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas” is a short story by Ursula K Le Guin.

The gist of the story is that there’s a city called Omelas that’s a perfect utopia. Everyone is happy and there’s no crime or sadness. But it requires one child to be kept in constant misery in order to keep Omelas a functioning paradise.

minor incident on
  • Options
    It's basically the trolley problem in story form.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know omelas but I don't understand the rest of the tweet

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

They’re referencing the Girlfriend Reviews stream of the hogwarts game and how they got super defensive because a few people in chat brought up the TERFiness of JK Rowling.

• Options

it's like a cooked egg or something

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

The gist of the story is that there’s a city called Omelas that’s a perfect utopia. Everyone is happy and there’s no crime or sadness. But it requires one child to be kept in constant misery in order to keep Omelas a functioning paradise.

Magic Knight Rayearth to put it in terms us weebs can understand

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Magic Knight Rayearth to put it in terms us weebs can understand

shut the fuck up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i'm so mad rightn ow

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

They’re referencing the Girlfriend Reviews stream of the hogwarts game and how they got super defensive because a few people in chat brought up the TERFiness of JK Rowling.

so like, let's be real here

girlfriend reviews had a neo-liberal meltdown, but it wasn't a few people in chat calmly explaining shit, they got death threats

• Options
    me too they ain't special

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    anyway I'm tired of culture wars, can we fight banana wars again they had a funny name

• Options
    oh

oh no

oh god we're monsters

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

After a bunch of runs where I was barely making 10 minutes I finally had a Vampire Survivor (or what was it last thread? Vampy Survy?) run where I became a beautiful blender and made it 30 minutes. Turns out all I needed was to
    - find a duplicator early on
    - Get a bunch of bibles
    - Evolve the whip
    - Evolve the magic wand
    - Bunch of dove bombs
    - Be OP

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Using occam's razor, does it seem likelier that members of one of the most systemically-victimized marginalized groups in the modern era would go around threatening death, or, that rightwing internet chuds who have a reliable m.o. of impersonating marginalized community members to gin up manufactured consent for the abuse of said marginalized people are doing that thing they reliably do

I don't know any of these involved parties, but I do remember gamergate, so

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Getting evolutions is generally pretty key. There's a journal you can bring up in the pause menu which shows you which evolutions you've discovered so you can remember what it is you want, or if you're trying to figure out what combinations you haven't found yet.

Also another tip: you can normally only have 6 passives, but the items lying around on the map can picked up after you're otherwise full, so you can break that cap. So if like, if you know there a spinach on the ground, you can take 6 passives that aren't spinach, and then get it anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    VS late game turns very roguelikey in which you have to start nailing down specific builds for some of the in game achievements, which wasn't a turn I was expecting but is a really unique organic way to change up runs.

Like, to unlock x, it'd be easiest to use y character, start a build early and balance survivability with power output.

Almost all of my runs take the full clock now.

Hell of a game, especially for free on phones

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Well one of the questions is scale. I've absolutely seen people who are online in the trans community respond in absolutely unhinged and inappropriate manners - drama currently going down with keffals, for example, and her racism. But how many of those people are in your community as an online presenter, versus how much general harassment you get to begin with? Like, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a good thing that internet harassment is widespread. But it is, and how you choose to respond to it matters. And if this case, if you get hurtful messages from people you don't know, and your response is to mock wider concerns, you have made a decision on how to present yourself. You have chosen who you feel will represent a community. And our memes in which we mock you for doing that will respond in kind.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    But yeah Vampire Survivors has an interesting arc. It starts with you slowly figuring out how to put together a run that actually survives. And as you learn that, and also unlock more passive bonuses, that gets easier and easier, until you you almost have to actively try to fuck a run. So then it starts being about unlocks, and puzzles, and achievements, and specifically how you have to build to get that working. And then it becomes about you finally biting the bullet and leveling your Curse and being intimidated by the stronger enemies for a bit before you relearn how to put together a run. And then it becomes about gold farming for the decadence of feeding your characters a million eggs.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

so like, let's be real here

girlfriend reviews had a neo-liberal meltdown, but it wasn't a few people in chat calmly explaining shit, they got death threats

Not according to those who actually researched the situation:

https://www.thegamer.com/bullying-streamers-hogwarts-legacy-harry-potter-trans/
    Was this person bullied? Did they actually even cry? Neither of these things have any real proof behind them, and yet this is one of the main news stories from the launch. The titular Girlfriend suggests to her boyfriend that they take a break, then leaves. The clip doing the rounds does not show her crying, and the fact the Boyfriend elects to stay on stream and finish the combat area suggests she was not in the extreme emotional anguish others have tried to paint this as.

There’s also no chat in the clip being circulated, meaning we don’t know if the team are upset by people asking reasonable questions about their decision to support the game that they do not want to answer, or whether there are more extreme messages lined with threats and insults. Having gone back and read the chat on their Twitch channel, it seems to be the former, and the vast majority of the chat are springing to their defence. Even if you account for deleted comments, the chat is clearly responding to fairly mild criticism rather than vulgar abuse.

Ultimately, they were accused of supporting bigotry by supporting JK Rowling. But then when even explaining reasons against supporting the game is ‘bullying’, what does it even matter? The clip also includes a defence from the streamers of Roman Polanski and Michael Jackson, and complains that they have “a target on their back for being allies” so should have credit in the bank. They also call trans people the “alt-left”, which feels like a mask off moment to me, but hey, they’re allies, right?

Which yes it’s kind of absurd someone had to do a deep dive about this but considering the constant abuse POC and lgbtq+ people take over this shit everyday (which the article also talks about) its worth pointing out.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Well one of the questions is scale. I've absolutely seen people who are online in the trans community respond in absolutely unhinged and inappropriate manners - drama currently going down with keffals, for example, and her racism. But how many of those people are in your community as an online presenter, versus how much general harassment you get to begin with? Like, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a good thing that internet harassment is widespread. But it is, and how you choose to respond to it matters. And if this case, if you get hurtful messages from people you don't know, and your response is to mock wider concerns, you have made a decision on how to present yourself. You have chosen who you feel will represent a community. And our memes in which we mock you for doing that will respond in kind.

Yeah, that's why my framing was "What's likelier?"

On a case by case basis, there're gonna be outliers, but what's likelier? When choosing to paint the entire sentiment as "legitimate," for lack of a better term, who benefits? Why cede even an inch to "there are bad people on both sides" when the matter is, "should trans people be allowed to exist?"

I'm not accusing nobody of nothing, just encouraging reflection on narratives

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i can't keep up with which streamer is which

This discussion has been closed.