Options

[D&D/d20 Discussion] WotC Presents: Milque & Toast

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Just my two bits: Resurrect them 100 years later with their memories having just come back to them. Let them rearrange their character options a bit, or a lot if they wish to. This’ll work especially well if there’s an established big bad who is now the emperor of the Astral Sea or their world etc.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Just my two bits: Resurrect them 100 years later with their memories having just come back to them. Let them rearrange their character options a bit, or a lot if they wish to. This’ll work especially well if there’s an established big bad who is now the emperor of the Astral Sea or their world etc.

I'd already set up a number of short term plot hooks, but if it weren't for that I might use that suggestion.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Astral Sea?

Abunch of Githyanki hit them with revivifies to use them as fodder in a fun house dungeon - the Giths place bets on their performance.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    edited June 7
    The 4E Astral Sea book made a big deal about devils capturing unclaimed souls to take to the Hells, and I'd already had a previous bad guy be a soul trader with ties to a specific devil, so I was thinking that they'd get trawled up with some other souls in the nets of a Hellship headed to a port outside of the Hells.

Now I just have to detail a spelljammer port/gate town to the Hells, as well as what the party could do to escape.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If any of the characters is particularly devout, you could also have their soul wash up on the shore of their god's realm. From there they could get the gift of a second chance from their god in exchange for something like a vow to build a new temple or tithe their accumulated treasures to the church, etc. Them being in the Astral Sea should mean the gods have a lot more pull there than the Material Plane.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    early level tpk you say
    Astral Sea you say
    you know what I smell

I smell the start of a Planescape campaign

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    Slightly random question.. Does geth diceroller work in pm threads here or is that not a thing

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sending you a PM to find out

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yeah discrider did the same and sadly weve all discovered.. Nope

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I threw a whirling chandelier in my game, can confirm it fucked them up

Honestly I think if they were spaced out enough to avoid getting instantly aoe'd, 4 of these would be more dangerous than vecna himself

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 9
    maybe geth can roll dice in PMs if you invite it to the conversation

e: actually probably not, the dice roller module isn't really the geth account posting, it's just invoked by talking to geth for fun

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah discrider and me tried inviting it too, sadly no dice (pun intended)

Which is a shame because i had a killer phalla idea that involved secret dice rolls

• Options
    edited June 11
    I've been hunting for more inspiration for my Spelljammer/Planescape (80% the former, 20% the latter) campaign and have come upon an article from a 90's Dragon Magazine issue called Voidjammers, which details how a mighty mage defeated Vlaakith to get her to stop bothering his Astral...taxi service? Basically the dude set-up a fleet of 10 ships to travel between portals in the Astral Plane. I'm definitely incorporating some version of this in my own take on the setting.

EDIT: The engines of the ships are lobotmized mind flayer brains!!! WTF!!! It also says that the chief engineer (a psion) interfaces with the brains to enhance their ability to control the ship, but it's totally safe so there's no way this can go wrong, no sir.

EDIT 2: Oh, the mage who invented these things also experimented on other psionic creature's brains but found that only illithid brains were worth the cost of keeping alive. Awesome.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Typical wizard shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So you're going to have it that the illithid brain drives work by having the ship stay still and the entire Astral Plane move around it?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I assume the ships draw a Decagram as they travel, which is what is keeping Vlaakith at bay.

• Options
    Typical wizard shit

Obligatory
    2ye16xz67dce.jpeg

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    edited June 11
    the reason wizards you encounter are so amoral is that any wizard who isn't a psychopath learns unseen servant, mending, prestidigitation, and just makes a hundred times a laborer's income with 2 hours a day work doing minor spells, maybe picking up a new ritual spell every now and again in their free time

Fuck trying to learn how to summon demons or cast fireball, that sounds like a good way to die, and any society which tolerates wizards is going to put you on the wall to throw fireballs if war happens if you can cast them, and a wizard throwing fireball is going to be every archer's first target!

Nope, I'm going to fix antiques for 200 gold a pop with multiple casts of mending, thank you very much

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 11
    That moment when you find out the potion maker’s shop is an Advanced Greater Empowered Nexus Domain with Wards Against Violence, Spells and Scrying situated partially in every material plane. Don’t ask for his strongest potion, he’ll ring a tiny bell and you’ll end up walking out into All Flesh Must Be Eaten Earth.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    For real though, I love utility wizards as a concept. If I ever play a wizard in some game, I think I’ll just roll my eyes at the idea of taking a damaging spell. Oh wow, you spent decades learning to kill things with fire, I met a goblin once that did that when they were twelve. Infinite creative potential at our fingertips and you use it to spit acid and impale things? Oooo. Get all philosophical on other magicians. Behold, a manticore!

I want to summon a chair as I sit down, light a pipe with my thumb and blow funny shapes to amuse the locals.

Then the real fun would be figuring out how to demolish a foe with invisible discs and whatever.

• Options
    edited June 11
    If I recall Making a Mage, mystra's chosen (not elminster yet) was talking to the mage lords to chastise them for conquering a bunch of muggles and they started hurling fireballs at him and he's like "FIREBALL, FIREBALL, FIREBALL, WHAT IS IT WITH WIZARDS AND FIREBALL, THE POWER OF CREATION AND YOU CHOOSE "MAKE FIRE" and I think he transmuted their bones to soup or some shit

override367 on
  • Options
    As you should.

• Options
    edited June 11
    transmute bones to soup is really useful spell for a necromancer since you can add extra bones to a skeleton and they get added to it when its animated

just toss like 50 ham bones into your human skeleton before casting animate dead, and whenever you get where you're going, bam instant soup

override367 on
  • Options
    Soup to bones is a great assassination technique too.

• Options
    I've been trying to come up with an explanation why there aren’t more people living on the Astral Plane (seeing as you don't age and don't need food or water), and I think with this voidjammer article I've decided that most of the hospitable locations in the Plane not already controlled by the githyanki or potentially hostile creatures are owned by super wealthy people who have claimed effective immortality for themselves. The going rate for a trip on a voidjammer ranges from 2500 to 5000 gp for a one-way trip, and the chief engineer makes 5000 gp a month.

• Options
    I would imagine yeah, you have to be pretty well off or powerful to not just end up eternally drifting or eaten by a cosmic horror

Also it's not like bob from waterdeep can get to the astral plane

• Options
    Maybe portals to the material plane let in a bit of time and entropy when they’re opened, and significantly old mortals that are touched by it get instantly annihilated. The main tool of war between such astral immortals is timing a portal opening near their opponent.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 11
    One of the things I like about Eberron is the concept of Magewrights, where magic is such an integral part of life and society that there are everyman workers with a small amount of magic who go around hooking up public utilities, like Continual Light spells or using Mending to fix minor issues or simply using Sending as a mass communication medium like a telegram. Like, they are just making a normal living from 9-5 use of their magic.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Don’t ask for his strongest potion

It’s heroin.
    It’s just heroin.

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Options
    edited June 11
    they have those in Waterdeep, it's not eberron common (yet, importantly the Mystra from Baldurs Gate 3 wants it to be that way, she Laeral take over waterdeep and create the blackstaff academy to start mass producing wizards), but the watchful order offers services, in the books they mention that magical light sources are common enough that roadside inns near waterdeep pay a few gold pieces to have a mage stop by and create them, and most businesses in the city have arcane locks or glyphs of warding - but they're still in the realm of the merchant class and higher

And Ed Greenwood's youtube channel is full of stories, there's a mage who created a cantrip to grab small unseen objects that are down small spaces or chutes, and she goes around to homes in waterdeep charging 1 to 5 gold pieces to retrieve lost valuables people have dropped (the cantrip simply seeks out the named object if its within a certain distance, so they dont even need to know where it is exactly), the same cantrip can also be used to retrieve and then dispose of tiny magical pests like rotgrubs and pixies (although in the latter example, more to yank them out of their hiding place and tell them to fuck off)

override367 on
  • Options
    I absolutely love the trope of the local ye olde magic curiosity shoppe being some archwizard from another material plane's secret retirement selling hard candies and small fireworks to the local kids.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    shopkeepers either need to be harmless commoners or retired level 20 adventurers who are VERY retired and not interested in stopping the godlich from eating the stars, they have a shop to run - no in between

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    shopkeepers either need to be harmless commoners or retired level 20 adventurers who are VERY retired and not interested in stopping the godlich from eating the stars, they have a shop to run - no in between
    I'm imagining the old folks in Kung Fu Hustle. Just a whole pastoral village full of them. A local gang rolls in, and then get blasted by a Meteor Swarm or something.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been trying to come up with an explanation why there aren’t more people living on the Astral Plane (seeing as you don't age and don't need food or water), and I think with this voidjammer article I've decided that most of the hospitable locations in the Plane not already controlled by the githyanki or potentially hostile creatures are owned by super wealthy people who have claimed effective immortality for themselves. The going rate for a trip on a voidjammer ranges from 2500 to 5000 gp for a one-way trip, and the chief engineer makes 5000 gp a month.

It's a massive hassle from what I remember, as everything requires a bit of conscious thought to maintain rather than dissolving into the substance of the astral. You also can't heal, and magic users (wizards mostly) can get addicted to the way magic works there.

Plus the neighbours are pretty unfriendly, and any 'prime' real estate is going to be considered especially valuable.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

It's a massive hassle from what I remember, as everything requires a bit of conscious thought to maintain rather than dissolving into the substance of the astral. You also can't heal, and magic users (wizards mostly) can get addicted to the way magic works there.

Plus the neighbours are pretty unfriendly, and any 'prime' real estate is going to be considered especially valuable.

That could be fun, you could have some rich guy with people on staff whose jobs are just to think about all the various stuff so that it doesn't go poof. Or some evil guy looking to setup his stronghold and collecting a bunch of brains in jars to do the same thing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Or have that rich guy go crazy, and get you a floating House of Leaves.

• Options
    Just hire a couple of Githzerai Anarchs

Boom done

• Options
    But what use is currency to a pair of immortal psions who don’t eat or sleep and make all they need with their wills alone? Genuine question.

That started as a bit and now I’m left wondering how you keep anything approaching a noble > serf society going in the Astral.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    But what use is currency to a pair of immortal psions who don’t eat or sleep and make all they need with their wills alone? Genuine question.

That started as a bit and now I’m left wondering how you keep anything approaching a noble > serf society going in the Astral.

Oooh!

You make like 1984 and literally erase the words and concepts necessary for serfs to conceive of better.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

Easy give the Anarch a Buddhist koan to consider or like

uh

Is a hot dog a sandwich