Options

[D&D/d20 Discussion] WotC Presents: Milque & Toast

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 13
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been trying to come up with an explanation why there aren’t more people living on the Astral Plane (seeing as you don't age and don't need food or water), and I think with this voidjammer article I've decided that most of the hospitable locations in the Plane not already controlled by the githyanki or potentially hostile creatures are owned by super wealthy people who have claimed effective immortality for themselves. The going rate for a trip on a voidjammer ranges from 2500 to 5000 gp for a one-way trip, and the chief engineer makes 5000 gp a month.

It's a massive hassle from what I remember, as everything requires a bit of conscious thought to maintain rather than dissolving into the substance of the astral. You also can't heal, and magic users (wizards mostly) can get addicted to the way magic works there.

Plus the neighbours are pretty unfriendly, and any 'prime' real estate is going to be considered especially valuable.

You're thinking of Limbo where you use your mind to create stuff and gotta concentrate on it to keep it's form. The Astral is just a no-place, the "space" between the actual planes if it actually physically existed (which it doesn't). When you're "in" the Astral you're actually not anywhere, you're just between places, hence why you don't age or need to eat.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    But what use is currency to a pair of immortal psions who don’t eat or sleep and make all they need with their wills alone? Genuine question.

That started as a bit and now I’m left wondering how you keep anything approaching a noble > serf society going in the Astral.

Easy give the Anarch a Buddhist koan to consider or like

uh

Is a hot dog a sandwich

At what point does gelato become a drink

(It's an ice cream koan)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    Geth roll 3d6 psychic damage

psychic damage:
    3d6 17 [3d6=5, 6, 6]

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I've been trying to come up with an explanation why there aren’t more people living on the Astral Plane (seeing as you don't age and don't need food or water), and I think with this voidjammer article I've decided that most of the hospitable locations in the Plane not already controlled by the githyanki or potentially hostile creatures are owned by super wealthy people who have claimed effective immortality for themselves. The going rate for a trip on a voidjammer ranges from 2500 to 5000 gp for a one-way trip, and the chief engineer makes 5000 gp a month.

It's a massive hassle from what I remember, as everything requires a bit of conscious thought to maintain rather than dissolving into the substance of the astral. You also can't heal, and magic users (wizards mostly) can get addicted to the way magic works there.

Plus the neighbours are pretty unfriendly, and any 'prime' real estate is going to be considered especially valuable.

You're thinking of Limbo where you use your mind to create stuff and gotta concentrate on it to keep it's form. The Astral is just a no-place, the "space" between the actual planes if it actually physically existed (which it doesn't). When you're "in" the Astral you're actually not anywhere, you're just between places, hence why you don't age or need to eat.

The Astral Plane is interesting in that for most of the game's history this was exclusively true, but from what I've seen there had been a slow transition to it being more like fantastical outer space (more fantastical than even wildspace). 4E did the most by essentially using it to make a Planejammer setting in all but name, but a recurring element in the article series on the planes I've been following is that individual authors in the 2E and 3E days trying to make it more like outer space.

I'm working on a compromise version where there are clusters of wildspace systems and Astral dominions on the plane, but their proximity is based less on objective physical distance and more on an organized effort to categorize them conceptually.

• Options

The Astral Plane is interesting in that for most of the game's history this was exclusively true, but from what I've seen there had been a slow transition to it being more like fantastical outer space (more fantastical than even wildspace). 4E did the most by essentially using it to make a Planejammer setting in all but name, but a recurring element in the article series on the planes I've been following is that individual authors in the 2E and 3E days trying to make it more like outer space.

I'm working on a compromise version where there are clusters of wildspace systems and Astral dominions on the plane, but their proximity is based less on objective physical distance and more on an organized effort to categorize them conceptually.

Yeah, what I was talking about was from the 2e Planescape book. The modern Astral is cool too, but I am still partial to the idea of a liminal no-space between all the planes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 13
    iirc travel in the Astral is dependent upon intent or willpower rather than physical means, correct?

Or am I thinking of the Ethereal Plane

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    iirc travel in the Astral is dependent upon intent or willpower rather than physical means, correct?

Both planes have you move via thought, and in older editions (at least 2e) a higher INT score meant you moved faster in the Astral (dunno about the Ethereal)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular

Both planes have you move via thought, and in older editions (at least 2e) a higher INT score meant you moved faster in the Astral (dunno about the Ethereal)

I think in 5e your speed in the Astral plane is 3 x INT - certainly in the few Adventurers League modules set there.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In 2E, you could actually burn your essence to go faster in the Ethereal.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    There might be too many obscure metaphysical planes bolted onto d&d from 500 different pop mythologies

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    There might be too many obscure metaphysical planes bolted onto d&d from 500 different pop mythologies

I liked it if only because things got really weird once you left the Material. The Upper Planes were like a group home for related* pantheons, while the Lower were like “ok what flavor of Hell do you want we got standard pitchfork devils hell, bottomless pit demon hell, windy howling tunnels the size of skyscrapers hell, eternal battle hell, gloomy grey hell, and uh whatever’s going on with Carceri”

*sometimes in the loosest sense of the word

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options

Yeah, at least rename em or something jeez. And since alignment isn't much of a thing anymore they could get even weirder with the outer planes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Made a cosmology real quick:

e3zcv2xerp6c.png

1. No upper planes. Instead every Prime (material plane) has a God Home (think Olympus) attached to it. Gods don’t have command over multiple Primes, just their linked one. Gives them more of a stake in their turf, and makes each Prime unique.
    2. Primes float close to the elemental planes, being influenced by them. Close to Air? Floating sky islands.
    3. Travel between planes is done through Astral Zones, finite voids that only connect to 1-3 other planes.
    4. The Hells are situated directly beneath Fire, which makes travel very difficult.
    5. Primes close to Fire are the ones most commonly assaulted by the Hells, as they hope to hop from them to the rest of the planes. Eventually they get absorbed, so it’s basically like DOOM down there.
    6. Fairy is the only untethered plane, and it crosses over other planes on an unknown schedule. The main way creatures get ‘cross-pollinated’ into other planes.
    7. All the planes comprise a tiny spec surrounded my cosmic horror, and it’s actually the planes that are aberrant. Primes that are touched by it turn into the kind of place beholders and mindflayers come from, but they usually end up fighting back against it to keep their individuality, even if they’re super chaotic, evil or inhumanly strange.
    8. When things die they reincarnate after some time, but there’s always room for more as having ‘too many’ souls causes a new Prime to form, along with new gods, at a certain threshold.

• Options
    edited June 14
    You know what? Drop the cosmic horror and replace it with neutral alien geometry. Not everything beyond comprehension need be hazardous.

The main idea behind this cosmology is that travel through the planes requires some stops along the way. There’s no jumping from a Prime near Water directly to Air etc.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited June 14
    This isn’t far off a bunch of different mythologies, but another good one, I think, is having the planes be all the same place.

7pomwqvua1iv.png

1. The Hells are more like Chinese Hells this time, awful to be in but a means to purification rather than evil.
    2. It’s physically connected to the Well of Souls, which lets souls back out if they want / are punished to go ‘round again.
    3. Above that you can climb into the Heavens if you’re enlightened enough or a bad enough dude to fight your way up.
    4. Both the Heavens and Hells double as elemental planes, and you can get them from a mortal world by just heading that way enough.
    5. An absurdly high number of worlds rest on a sea, the plane of water basically.
    6. Beyond the border of a world you can sail into the Aether, magic space. Navigate well enough and you can find Big God and the other gods, spirits etc. Big God’s pad is a forge and in it he’s stuffed fire, the plane.
    7. This fire was actually stolen from the Abyss, which is now lightless and super pissed at Big God.
    8. Big God made a giant four armed mech to hold back the Abyss, and its bigger than worlds. Because that’s cool. Large enough to hold a few civilisations of some sort.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I would like to subscribe to your Preserver Facts newsletter plzkthx

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 14
    I always liked Tolkien's "the elves' heaven outside the mundane world is just a bit that got left behind when the world got changed from flat to round, so you get there by literally sailing straight west, not following the curve of the earth, and slip into the other space"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Serpents, I misread that as just Ants at the bottom from my phone. Hope this helps.

• Options
    edited June 15
    The elemental planes are said to be the backs of the primordial beasts that formed the world. They created the world for their first children, who raised the mountains, carved the seas, got time running, and so forth. The more talkative dragons claim they are the descendants of those first children, and that their metaphysical forebears sleep still below, or perhaps all around, the physically interactable metaphors known as the elemental planes, the ideas that can be walked upon if you know the ways to get there, and are home to all sorts of spirits. All dragons simply know this, in their uncanny, intuitive way.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 15

Most definitely. More importantly every world that players are expected to DM in needs to have a well defined cosmology so that DMs can like... Utilize it. But defining that cosmology for players is not great. And i don't mean "well defined" in like spaces but like what does everything do and why. What is a god, etc etc. Are there rules that things specifically abide by, why do they abide by those rules, etc.

edit:

Like. Lets take "our universe" and cosmology it for dnd. I like doing this because its easy for players to relate to an actual physical reality and its rules. Breaking things is weird.

Matter itself is attuned to one of the four elements. These are earth, fire, water, and air. Or, solid, plasma, liquid, and gas. Habitable planets, as we know them, are collections of matter that attune to those aspects in a harmonious way. Dead planets might have too much earth, or water, and stars have "too much" fire. Thus a star is both a large mass of matter but also a nexus point into the plane of fire. And mars is not only a planet but a nexus point to the plane of earth. In general these planes are entirely uninhabitable by humanoids. Only elementals reside and they are more or less unknowable to humanity and cannot life outside of their plane for very long. Thus we have science as normal but also fantastical science/fantasy.

Each of these is a distinct and separate "direction" from the prime material and do not interact with any other plane otherwise. They are unlimited, flat, and infinite just like our universe and prime material plane and they exist orthogonal to it but not to each other. Such that for every point in the prime material plane there is an infinite space in each of the elemental planes but in two dimensions. If you leave the prime material plane for the plane of water, move 100 meters "north" and then return, you end up 100 meters away. Like dipping into a pool. But the pool is everywhere so long as you can perceive and traverse that dimensionality

When all of these elements exist in close proximity other planes can be created and exist. These planes do not exist on non-habitable worlds because they require some aspect of the interplay to create them. The first is the plane of unconsciousness, life and death, the feywild and the shadowfell. These planes exist in symbiosis and can intermingle within each other. Places of great life are nexuses to the feywild and death to the shadowfell but wherever either of them exist in the prime material these planes exist; with large concentrations in the prime material being nexus's between them. These planes are really one plane that is curved. Such that going deep into the shadowfell will move to you the feywild and then back around again, like walking around a planet. Such that leaving the prime material for the feywild and returning will put you back to the same spot where you left. Almost as if every point on a planets surface there exists an entire world of feywild/shadowfell. When you enter the feywild and shadowfell the sky is static and only exists as a facade. It no longer moves relative to you. Creatures that exist here tend to be mindless. They may be smart and have agency and language but they are not truly conscious. They do not have hopes and desires but only wants and needs.

When intelligence exists intelligence creates new planes. These are the planes of order, chaos, good, and evil. Like the feywild/shadowfell they are curved, and like the elemental planes they exist orthogonal to the prime material but not each other. And unlike either they are finite and specific to each world that they occupy. Thus there is a single point in each plane for every point on a habitable world with a 1 to 1 correspondence. In actuality there are only four. Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, Lawful Good, and Lawful Evil. Like all the planes they are nexus'd to the prime material based on the alignment of the occurrences in it. That is. Evil thoughts nexus towards the planes for chaotic evil and lawful evil. Lawful thoughts nexus towards lawful evil and lawful good. Beings that exist here are specific to the world in which they surround. They have hopes and desires but no wants or needs. Beings that are "purely" law or chaos or good or evil can exist in any aligned plane and tend to work against the denizens of that plane. They are specific to a world because the ideologies and religions are specific to a world.

When these points are nexus'd (or if magic intervenes) beings from those planes can enter into the prime material. They they tend not to last very long and their power can be tied to the nexus between their home plane and where they are.

Magic can make artificial nexus's between the planes in order to have an effect (fireball) or quash an effect. (dispel magic). Arcane magic is direct, and can access any plane. Divine magic is specific to the intelligence planes because it is tied specifically to a particular denizen of that plane who has been made powerful by worship, which feeds the plane and its denizens. It can also access any plane but is specific in its connection to that deity. There may be many deities in conflict with each other even on the same plane. Though this is... not tied together well because deities can be separate from each other while being the same (think Jupiter/Zeus). Gods can have physical domains but they are there because they have been ascribed by the people. They still fit within each of the four planes. Thus you have eldritch horrors both in chaotic evil land and in chaotic good land. And you have modron both in lawful evil land and lawful good land.

The astral sea is the plane upon which the others are built. If we described the elemental planes are being 1 to infinite on the material plane then the material plane is 1 to infinite on the astral sea. Except the infinite is time. When you enter the astral sea time stops. There is nothing to see except that which is also there, since nothing truly exists without time. This can be used to teleport or sail to other prime material worlds. You could, theoretically, also use it to time travel, but this would be very dangerous. Generally you get off at the same time you left, lest a planet no longer be where it was one second ago. (that is to say that no one really knows this, people trying it tend to die horribly)

Sigil, under this construction, is a very specific place in the prime material plane. One that is can be connected, at least in a single direction, to all other points in space and time. (I.E. its in the center of a supermassive black hole*) and maybe with magic, in the other direction.

*technically we don't know about about what goes on in the inside but even then i am taking a few liberties. Its pretty easy to get pretty low matter densities within a black hole given the swartzchild radius. So, if time has functionally stopped on the other side of the horizon then there may not be a singularity there, for something on the inside. Even if there is one on the outside. Once its inside it might just be 'just inside'. And because the tidal forces depend on gravity differential, if you went straight into a super-massive black hole that wasn't spinning (how do points spin!?! maybe it really isn't a singularity on the inside!) then you could survive spaghettification (I.E. it might not happen because the effect is because gravity is higher at your feet than your head by a significant degree. But the larger the black hole the smaller the difference between gravity at your feet than your head at the horizon because this is measured as a ratio from center of mass of the object to your current position).

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Okay, but @Endless_Serpents what's your cosmic horror look like? You're disqualified if you answer anything that involves squids, octopi or deep sea creatures.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Like the Disney movie?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Yes.

• Options
    edited June 16
    Shia LaBeouf?

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Eyes.

Just eyes everywhere.

It bleeds eyes. It scabs over with eyes. It explodes into chunks of eyes.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    teeth

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I do like body horror to go hand in hand with cosmic horror. The Color from Outer Space movie that came out with Nicolas Cage was a lot of fun.

I have trouble concepting those things outside of mental concepts, though. You guys have any tips? It's way easier for me to come up with stuff like the fey having weird rules and customs.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I do like body horror to go hand in hand with cosmic horror. The Color from Outer Space movie that came out with Nicolas Cage was a lot of fun.

I have trouble concepting those things outside of mental concepts, though. You guys have any tips? It's way easier for me to come up with stuff like the fey having weird rules and customs.

Perhaps the classic hypercube/portal beast? So something that just seems to be appearing and disappearing is actually doing it in some odd but predictable pattern as it is an nth dimensional being passing through a smaller subset of spatial dimensions?

Perhaps then allow a few weird situations if a PC does something particularly mad like grab hold of the tentacles as they recall back through the wall and if they pass a strength and wisdom save they might find themselves split across what seems to be an invisible maze (which you might rotate 90 degrees to let them start to figure it out) where their legs are in one location but the top half of their body is projected through the hypercube into a different part.

Or they seem fine, but their arm/head seems to be floating somewhere else - but as they move it seems to be moving in a different direction to the rest of them. So they are still in the fight, but trying to complete an invisible maze to get themselves reconnected.

Or alternatively have the PCs blasted to another dimension which is purely 2D - flatland style. Occasionally seeming to be glimpsed in the real world but only from a single direction.

• Options
    edited June 17
    Far Realms stuff is always tricky to do because it’s supposed to be so utterly alien as to defy description.

I usually go the Event Horizon / Warp route:
    Utterly anathema to the Material Plane, physical and temporal laws break down the closer you get to a breach or gribblies. States of matter don’t behave like they should, gravity fluctuates, shadows don’t sync up/show different actions/disappear, sights smells sounds are off, temperature fluctuations, etc.

Basically asking the players for perception checks at random intervals to spook them, or describing things to them and then throwing something in the area that wasn’t there before. Changing the environment or having the gribblies presence change the environment etc.

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Whenever I end up doing Far Realm shenanigans I inevitably use the phrase "A roiling mass of eyeballs and arseholes".

Works every time.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Basically asking the players for perception checks at random intervals to spook them, or describing things to them and then throwing something in the area that wasn’t there before. Changing the environment or having the gribblies presence change the environment etc.

When fucking with players I've done the whole, "Bob puts a hand on your shoulder and says, 'I don't think we should be here'" and then everyone's like, "Who the fuck is Bob and how'd he get here?" and I'm like, "You know, Bob? You met him two towns ago and he's been traveling with you ever since?" and they either get suspicious and attack immediately or just get reeeeal confused for a bit. Then they eventually find out Bob doesn't exist and their minds have just been fucked with or something and then they murder him. Sometimes I have him vanish as soon as they find out what's going on, then I start going, "Who's this Bob person you keep mentioning?" and then they all throw things at me.

Did something similar once where after a fight I described them seeing the corpse of a trusted friend, slain by whatever it was they were just fighting. Only the players have never heard of or seen this person, but their characters suddenly start remembering them. Sometimes they actually did exist and their memories were temporarily wiped during the fight, sometimes they had never existed and the memories were fake implants, either way it's some psionic thing they're ultimately up against.

My one shots are weird and don't usually make any sense lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    If you want to scare an eye tyrant just say you work for the far more powerful ass tyrant, and it will bury itself in a hole in fear

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »

Into the Alpacalypse! If you are looking into cosmic horror stuff annihilation the movie and book series are good starting point. The weirdest thing about the cosmic horror stuff is the things from beyond are not necessarily evil and possibly not even sentient in any way we can understand. Their very presence in an area begins to warp and change it because its existence is corrosive to our reality. It is not something that can be understood it is outside our frame of reference you can describe effects it is having on the surroundings but at the heart the cause of it is unknowable.

• Options
    If you want to scare an eye tyrant just say you work for the far more powerful ass tyrant, and it will bury itself in a hole in fear

I'm just the hero for the job, because I eat ass

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 18
    I think a fun idea to do with cosmic horror is messing with the rules, but you’d have to be sure your friends are wired in that way for it to be fun rather than a chore.

Maybe passing Perception checks and/or Wisdom saves generates insanity points equal to how much higher than the DC you roll. In combat, the Things move whenever someone moves, and they attack with the rolls the players make. Maybe the die you roll reduces in size the closer you get to The Gate. Perhaps instead of taking damage you add it up, and at a certain threshold you turn into one of Them—at least until the party win. Maybe run movement on a grid you’ve put through an art program’s swirl tool, so 5 feet is at different lengths in various places.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

jnix96yoqll8.jpeg

?

• Options

jnix96yoqll8.jpeg

?

More like

nbg0ajzj5hg8.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    Previews for the new books have started coming out. There doesn't seem to be many major changes from the UAs, and the biggest differences from the original core set is in art and presentation.

The Monster Manual so far is still the most mysterious book with the least announced about it (500 monsters, 75 of which are new, new high CR monsters for each creature type, and almost entirely new art).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    Previews for the new books have started coming out. There doesn't seem to be many major changes from the UAs, and the biggest differences from the original core set is in art and presentation.

The Monster Manual so far is still the most mysterious book with the least announced about it (500 monsters, 75 of which are new, new high CR monsters for each creature type, and almost entirely new art).

Without any major core changes though, i have to imagine combat encounter balance is still going to be crap and high CR stuff is going to be worse for it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981