As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tabletop Roleplaying]: Anyway Nazi punks fuck off

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm reading the Beastheart book and, boy, you know you have a winner when every new subclass makes me go "ooh, I wanna try that!" You can tell the authors understood what makes companions and pet classes click for those that enjoy them, where something like the vanilla Beastmaster Ranger feels more like it was an obligation to put something out.

Elvenshae
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I have nothing to add about the topic but the the SE thread list presented a wonderful pairing up with another thread:

uj3hsyix4h20.jpeg

GlalEndless_SerpentsThawmusTynnansarukunFencingsaxHexmage-PADex DynamoSleepChallMegaMan001gavindelShadowenRhesus Positiveadmanbwebguy20MsAnthropyMatevElvenshaetzeentchlingIndie WinterRELtasticWhelkRingoUndead ScottsmanIanatorHappy Little Machine
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting my DM to let me make a new character, but not kill my old character

I want Derek to go on a trip to "find himself" and return later with one level in sorc and one in rogue and one in bard because he just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life.

the replacement character would just be Me.

I've dropped this concept here before I think, but regular ol' real life me gets isekai'd. opened a door on Earth, accidentally ended up in Sigil, tried the door again and ended up in Faerun.

I'd be a wizard because I've always wanted to be a wizard and finally I can do it.

BahamutZERORhesus PositiveMatevHappy Little Machine
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting my DM to let me make a new character, but not kill my old character

I want Derek to go on a trip to "find himself" and return later with one level in sorc and one in rogue and one in bard because he just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life.

I've dropped this concept here before I think, but regular ol' real life me gets isekai'd. opened a door on Earth, accidentally ended up in Sigil, tried the door again and ended up in Faerun.

I'd be a wizard because I've always wanted to be a wizard and finally I can do it.

I think it’d be funnier if you were a sorcerer or a warlock but you’re damned sure you know what a wizard is, but yeah, go for it!

Depressperado
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Technically I have a character that’s not dead but still have a new PC

To be fair that’s because the other traitor is a Garak style big traitor and is rotting in jail. Y’know, last we saw her.

Depressperado
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I once played this game where you played yourself, but you did these tests and stuff to establish your skills and stats. Like you held a milk jug out at arms length for aa long as you could for strength.

Then you got skills based on your training and hobbies and stuff.

It was a lot of fun, but I cannot remember the name of it. Hell maybe the guy who ran it in college made it up.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    ThawmusEndless_SerpentsmrpakuDepressperadoJragghenRingoKristmas KthulhuHappy Little Machine
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    We once played a zombie RPG for Savage Worlds, I forget the name of the game, but we all were tasked with making a real-life version of each of the other players, submit them to the GM, and then the GM would select one of them and give them to you, so that you'd play a real-life version of yourself.

It was kinda neat because we ended up telling each other stuff we didn't know about each other yet. Like that I've spent a lot more time at the shooting range than I like to admit, despite owning zero guns. Or that a friend of mine is a black belt despite now being a chain smoking layabout. Or that another friend did archery competitions in high school and went to state. Or that another friend was a state powerlifting champion.

It started out really good, but the campaign just literally never gave us good NPC's to interact with, everyone was a fucking Negan wannabe, so I just looked at the rest of the party every time we met an NPC and asked, "Say when." There were a lot of interrupted monologues. My friends began to worry that I was a psycho in real life or something and I'm like, no, man, every human we've met is worse than the zombies. Every one. Fuck'em all.

I think one of the last things I did was spy on some folks and discover a secret cabal of assholes in this community we were visiting, that a bunch of the party wanted to integrate with. I found their meeting place and listened in on their discussion. Alarmed, I reported it to the rest of my party and that community, by firing an RPG into their meeting place, killing them all.

"Thawmus, what the fuck happened?"

"Master Blaster runs Bartertown."

Twitch: Thawmus83
    MatevElvenshaesarukuntzeentchlingRingoKristmas Kthulhu
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We did an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game where we all played ourselves going to the GM's condo to game when Night of the Comet happens. We then have to fight through a zombie apocalypse with just our real life skills and whatever equipment we actually have on hand (I brought a power drill for this purpose).

Turns out that all of us being familiar with zombie flicks made it very easy to survive a zombie attack. We all made it to our diabetic doomsday prepper friend's compound (except the GM, of course, who went out to get the pizza and never returned; his girlfriend cheerfully abandoned him in her Subaru).

mrpakuElvenshaetzeentchlingRingo
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've seen the idea of playing yourself bandied about a bunch (I know it was a thing in my high school group), but the specific twist of having other people make your character sheet for you is a very good one. Balances you out nicely.

Endless_SerpentsThawmusmrpakuRhesus PositiveMegaMan001MagellMatevElvenshaesarukuntzeentchlingDuke 2.0WhelkRingoNipsHappy Little Machine
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    That reminds me of one of my biggest disappointments in gaming, a 13th age that never got off the ground

My character was a paladin, and my One Unique Thing was

"I was a fighter who got knocked unconscious in a battle, and I woke up in some guy's living room, surrounded by dice and graph paper, and he told me that after we met, he wouldn't be able to 'play fairly,' and ever since the universe seems to bend around me to protect me and my friends."

ElvenshaePolaritieRingo
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like I've seen the idea of playing yourself bandied about a bunch (I know it was a thing in my high school group), but the specific twist of having other people make your character sheet for you is a very good one. Balances you out nicely.

The one issue we ran into was assigning flaws. It was difficult to navigate what we should actually use and not use. Some folks were okay with you assigning Obese to them, for example, while others were like, if you give me Obese I'll cut you.

StraightziBahamutZERO
    The Paranoia gimmick where you picking a skill at max means your opponent in character creation draft has to have it at their lowest is the funniest example of petty char gen.

Dex DynamoElvenshae
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

The one issue we ran into was assigning flaws. It was difficult to navigate what we should actually use and not use. Some folks were okay with you assigning Obese to them, for example, while others were like, if you give me Obese I'll cut you.

Yeah, I can't really imagine that going great. Especially with the way that such things tend to be written in RPGs.

BahamutZEROThawmusSleepRhesus PositiveHappy Little Machine
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I had a friend who wrote his own zombie apocalypse RPG with just tons of merits and flaws. It was cool except for the part where female characters could have PMS and do automatic damage to nearby male characters, or have a purse where they might find a useful item (gay men could also take the purse). They weren't the only examples.

The one female player in the group and I had a discussion and laid out an email detailing why having gendered/sex/preference-based traits projecting negative stereotypes were not okay just because they were based on "real life." That such things might hurt players he was trying to attract.

Our friend, a lifelong bachelor with very little experience with relationships, was a bit mystified, but he made the changes as we requested. Sigh.

Dracomicron on
    It's like when the Rimworld guy insisted his stats for how gay/bi women or men could be were based on real life experiences.

And the only real conclusion was that bi dudes didn't feel comfortable around him.

TynnanDracomicronStraightziMatevtzeentchlingMechMantisaStoryAboutYouDuke 2.0Happy Little Machine
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I wrote up a duel system today. Tested it out. 60% fatality rate on an even match. I have apparently generated an Akira Kurosawa simulator.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    ElvenshaeEndless_SerpentsGlalFencingsaxTynnanDracomicronShadowenWhelkRingoKristmas Kthulhu
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Last night the DM in my Icewind Dale campaign asked me to make a performance check to pretend to be a dog...as a druid in wild shape. I rolled a 2. What even is that?

Gaspode. “Woof, woof, bloody woof. Whine?”

Rhesus PositiveGlalFencingsaxShadoweniguanacusNeveronaStoryAboutYouRingo
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I have this idea in my head of taking Dark Sun and StarGate and mashing them together. So it's like, instead of the vast, desolate cold expanse of space, it's the vast, desolate, hot expanse of desert.

The Sorcerer Kings instead become Goa'uld system lords. The higher-ranking nobles are minor Goa'uld. The military are Jaffa (so Mul but honestly I want to look at the Ardlings for this, ironically).

Everyone else is equal. They are slaves. Where "slave" is basically a Goa'uld word for "not Goa'uld."

Aaaaand that's the best I can offer in terms of a riff on Dark Sun that manages to either explain out or rope off slavery. Best I can do for ya.

But also I do still kind of like the idea. Martial classes are martial. Primal classes would represent communing with and studying under the Ancients. Divine classes don't exist*. The question is whether to decide that Goa'uld tech is Psionic (weird, adaptable, and foreign to many others), or Arcane (slowly destroying the world). I kind of like the latter more because 1- it's something bad guys would do. 2- it's magitech, and ropes off Arcane classes that makes it easier to sidestep potential "Climate Change" debates. Also Bra'tak is a Swordmage with a Staff instead.

Then you can work Psionics however you feel. I kinda feel like if you're wanting something more SG-1 then probably they should both be pretty uncommon. But DS would go the opposite way, so I think just leaving it up to the table to work out how they want their story to look.

*buuuuut if you wanted to run with DS "defeat the Sorcerer Kings" plot, it would probably look a lot like toppling the System Lords in StarGate. And not long after that happened ... Hallowed were the Ori. So that's a potential out if you want to mess with it. And for that sequel campaign setting you make it Spelljammer. Because fuck it, Spelljammer.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    tzeentchlinggavindel
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The goal with designing any sort of random system to determine outcomes in a game should be to hide as much of the math and work as you can in order to get to the good part, which is the outcome. There's a lot of complicated stuff in D&D, but most rolls come down to "roll one die and add a modifier, then report that number to the DM." Big piles of dice are a reward for hitting someone, etc.

When I was playing around with developing a tactical game, I'd half settled on using different varieties of D6 that would be different colors based on how easy it'd be to succeed on a roll with them, and then I sat down and did a bunch of math to figure out what would make for interesting progression for an ability check, and found that adding a second red die (the worst die) is probably going to result in more successful outcomes than just upgrading from a singular red die to a singular yellow die, unless you need all die to succeed, etc. Like, there was a lot of complicated math going on, but the goal in the end would be that you'd get a weapon card or something that said like, ROLL TWO GREEN DICE AND SEE IF ONE HITS and each green dice would have "success" or "failure" sides, and you could tell at a glance if it'd worked, and the game would move on. The math was built into the design, but players wouldn't have to interact with it unless they wanted to.

It didn't go any further than that, because I got bored trying to do the action/movement economy, but

folks, this discussion got me back in and I'm mathin' up a storm over here and having a grand ol' time

Rear Admiral ChocoRhesus PositiveMechMantisEndless_SerpentsThawmusFencingsaxWearingglassessarukunDracomicronmrpakuNarbusChallZonugalStraightzikimeMatevtzeentchlingElvenshaeDuke 2.0WhelkRingoHappy Little Machine
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    what a fuckin nerd lol

JtgVX0H.png
    gavindelThawmussarukunElvenshaeWhelkRingo
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I know rite? Real designers just go with their gut. That's why my players have to consult the Poop Chart so they can experience the ins and (mostly) outs of dysentery in real time!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Thawmus
    edited February 2023
    Hm. There’s definitely something you can do with dominoes besides pizza jokes.

bw0t12t3zg57.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
    kimeCruor
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Has anyone run, or does anyone have a good 5e rapids/river adventure? I want it to be mostly skill check oriented but with some dangers and ways for them to be creative.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I don't know how balanced this was (or how related this would be to your question), but I ran a short-ish encounter where the party were riding in a stealthed raft in an undercity canal, and passing through an mutant-infested area of the canal. There were five people, not including the NPC guide.
    Rules:
    - Played over four rounds representing a leg of the journey.
    - Each round, the party has to succeed in Perception, Stealth, and Athletics. Failure in any meant a complication rolled from a table.
    - Each player must pick a skill they must roll on for that round. They can't repeat a skill they used in previous rounds (until the last round).
    - The druid jumped out of the boat and became a crocodile for multipurpose guard/scout duty, so I have him pick to give someone advantage every round instead.
    - Combats ensuing from complications last only two rounds at the most, with the mutant escaping after some damage has been dealt to it.
    - Another option a player could pick is "Defend", which does not contribute to the round but gives them a boost when encountering complications.

For your rapids adventure you can probably have a per round Acrobatics check so everybody is balanced - failure means a penalty in the next rolls. Swap out Stealth for Nature and Survival, maybe?

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Has anyone run, or does anyone have a good 5e rapids/river adventure? I want it to be mostly skill check oriented but with some dangers and ways for them to be creative.

As soon as I read the words "river adventure", I remembered the excellent free Gone Fishin' made by Dragonsfoot user Atherton. The original site hosting it seems to be defunct, but since it was a free adventure there's still some copies floating about on the internet.

It's not perfect, but it's probably one of the best adventures available for its price (that being $0).

It's not written for 5E, but it should be relatively easy to convert - combat isn't really the point of it, so just substitute with any passably similar monster manual critter and you'll probably be fine. You also might want to adjust treasure values a bit to suit whatever you're used to and whatnot.

Doodmann
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular

Thread has probably moved on from this, but the we did this with Call of Cthulhu. So having any kind of advantage was minor or hard to get to begin with, and it led to nobody really caring in the way I imagine a lot of RPGs wouldn't be able to sidestep.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Guh. I tried to buy the PDF and paperback version of Blades in the Dark but accidentally only bought the paperback, which is the same price. I do not like drive thru rpg's mobile site.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Guh. I tried to buy the PDF and paperback version of Blades in the Dark but accidentally only bought the paperback, which is the same price. I do not like drive thru rpg's mobile site.

You could try sending them a support email about it, maybe?

Ringo
    I know Evil Hat will send you a PDF of any of their games if you buy from your local game store, so that might also be a route to look at

MaddocTynnanRingo
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/2GP04EzrD9Q

i've been enjoying this channel a lot lately, cute art, fun twists on common d&d concepts and class archetype ideas, it's good stuff

Ranlin
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    yoooooooooooooo

there's a LANCER videogame kickstarter being made by the people already behind Legionnaire, one of the best looking supplements out there

3i7pjljewv7m.jpg

not going to link it directly since rules (even though it's not even live yet? not sure what the ruling on pre-launch wishlist linking is) but go check out @k_a_stark and @jovialthunder on twitter for the info

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    asofyeunThawmusEndless_SerpentsElvenshaeA Kobold's KoboldDuke 2.0Metzger MeisteraStoryAboutYouKelorkimeIanatorHappy Little Machine
    Holy shit! They also have an itch.io page with a currently downloadable game and much older browser version:
    https://wick.itch.io/lancer-tactics

Endless_SerpentsElvenshaeTynnanaStoryAboutYou
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

You could try sending them a support email about it, maybe?

I did this and not only did they add it to my library they gave me a $10 credit for being a new customer. Nice!

MaddocBahamutZEROElvenshaeTynnanRhesus PositiveThawmusStraightzicaptainktzeentchlingGlalEndless_SerpentsNeveronLabelA Kobold's KoboldDuke 2.0asofyeunaStoryAboutYouwebguy20CalicapookaRingoKristmas KthulhuIloveslimes
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to pick up a copy of..... Scum and Villainy!

MaddocDeadfallwebguy20
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Late to the dice convo but 1d6 is a LOT different than 2d6. 1d6 has a flat distribution of results, 1/6 for each number 1-6.

2d6 is a bell curve, where you're rolling 6/7/8 nearly 50% of the time. Because the succeed with complications results in PBTA starts at 7, having a -1, 0, and +1 are centered on the top of that bell curve, so each +1 is pretty significant. You also know "well I'll probably roll a 6 or better most of the time" so it's easy to gauge what's likely to happen. But only what's likely, never more than like 80% to succeed.

MaddocTynnanAlbino BunnyElvenshaeEndless_SerpentsStraightziThawmusA Kobold's KoboldDuke 2.0asofyeunsarukun
    As someone who doesn’t super dig lancer as an rpg but loves the lore and combat a video game seems the perfect place for it.

Endless_SerpentsStraightziThawmusWhelkasofyeunRingo
    My very brief perusal of what they have on itch.io so far is seriously impressive. It has some serious Into the Breach aesthetic. Integrating all of Lancer is pretty ambitious.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Hehehehe

Hehehehehe

TynnanWhelk
    ElqcChlXEAAJToK.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
    ShadowenMechMantismrpakuIanator
This discussion has been closed.