Options

The [Weather] Thread: Your guess is as good as mine.

jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
edited June 2023 in Social Entropy++
Well the winter storm here in SoCal is kicking off with a bang this morning.

We have-

A tornado warning for costal Santa Barbara County:

The closure of Interstate 5 at "the grapevine" due to heavy snow:

Blizzard conditions still likely for SoCal mountains:

Meanwhile it sounds like that ice storm in the midwest has caused a ton of power outages and other issues. A buddy of mine in Mid-Michigan has been without power since Wednesday evening and the current estimate for it to be restored is Sunday.

jgeis on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    augh no power in an ice storm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    jgeis on
  • Options

Three daily rainfall records broken today, with the bulk of the LA area's rain still coming in this evening:
    RECORDS SO FAR AS OF 5 PM PST (MORE RAIN TO COME)...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.23 INCHES WAS SET AT LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
    TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.75 INCH SET IN 2008.

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 0.26 INCH WAS SET AT LANCASTER TODAY.
    THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.25 INCH SET IN 1987.

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 0.74 INCH WAS SET AT CAMARILLO TODAY.
    THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.66 INCH SET IN 1941.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    And it's still coming down

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
  • Options

Snow within the Los Angeles city limits, up in the hills at about 1000ft.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Snow within the Los Angeles city limits, up in the hills at about 1000ft.

Wow. When was the last time THAT happened? 1985?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Welp. Time to put the big boots on and make sure there aren't any critters in the fraidy hole I can't get along with for an hour or so.
    A derecho (a widespread, long-lived wind storm that is associated with a band of rapidly moving showers or thunderstorms) has been forecast by SPC, with widespread damaging winds of 80-110 mph with the line of storms later this evening. MAKE PREPARATIONS NOW! #okwx #okmesonet
    1dtbk845a54j.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh shit klahoma!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I feel like the least believable part of kaiju movies is how upset people still get about it after several movies. In real life it would be like "Yeah, sometimes a giant iguana comes and reduces a city to radioactive ash, but not very often. At least we don't get blizzards or anything here, that shit's scary."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I feel like the least believable part of kaiju movies is how upset people still get about it after several movies. In real life it would be like "Yeah, sometimes a giant iguana comes and reduces a city to radioactive ash, but not very often. At least we don't get blizzards or anything here, that shit's scary."

*As Godzilla is actively stepping on my neighbor's house*

Godzilla is a myth made up by the government to take away our freedoms!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It gusted according to the news 50mph+ all day at the airport 75Mph As some of them did cause the house to move.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The nice thing about living in the mountains is you don't have godzillas showing up to wreck shit every other week.
    Sure, we got us some rodans on occasion, but no godzillas.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's looking increasingly likely that this will be the least snowy winter on record ever in Boston, and the first in my living memory where there wasn't a single blizzard or big snowstorm. It's just been warm and rainy with brief periods of cold.

Honestly extremely fucking depressing on multiple axes.

• Options
    SoCal is getting more snow and graupel today, over a pretty wide area. Seeing videos from San Bernardino to Burbank to west LA to Disneyland.

• Options
    Meanwhile I look out the office window and it's sunny with clear blue skies

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Meanwhile I look out the office window and it's sunny with clear blue skies

We got exactly 20 hailstones in the courtyard of my apartment building a couple of hours ago and since then it has been sunny. Windy as hell all day, though.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Huh... today I heard of graupel.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Is graupel different from sleet? I only just started hearing talk about graupel in this storm system and now it's all I hear people use

E: yes it is, weird stuff

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    We had quite a bit of hail earlier today and it was a lot of fun to see the kids flood into the hallway to play in it. One of the other science teachers didn't let their students go play in it because they were doing a lab, and being the responsible person that I am I had to go over there and let my old students know they were missing out. Best use of a prep period in a long while!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    the mojave desert and death valley are in a severe drought huh...

Isn't it very literally one of the driest places on earth?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Doodmann wrote: »

I assume that chart is comparing to some normal baseline for the area, so drought is relative

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The danger is still the possibility the rain stops coming for another extended period and all the new plant life dries out just in time for wildfire season cranked up to 11.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    The other danger in CA is that it warms up and a rain storm rolls into the mountains, which can screw with the snowpack.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Doodmann wrote: »

I assume that chart is comparing to some normal baseline for the area, so drought is relative

You see that white part (the "none" section)?
    Jragghen wrote: »
    z4qtuygyrd9c.png

Getting there!

It was at Moderate to Abnormal two weeks ago. Where it had almost consistently been for, if not forever, for a very long time this time of year
    8HrKoMz.png

The snow blizzards for two weeks were severe enough they basically undid a decade of drought in that part of the state's section of this chart singlehandedly

But hey, speaking of climate change that isn't that or my area across the country from it about to have a third straight week of 20-degree lows (and snow showers) and 68-70-degree highs, in February/March, here's an international version

Fun!

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    image.png

so that seems bad

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I witnessed thunder snow y'all bolts and all

Never thought I'd see the day??

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/dd80228d2fe7dff73dd3a61fff688fafad316291b960ddf942d5a5822169666f.png

Northern Sierra has passed last year's total. 117% of average to date, ~10 inches shy of seasonal average so far.

• Options
    edited March 2023

With a daytime average of 64.9°F this winter was the coolest on record for Los Angeles since 1978-79.

jgeis on
  • Options

Another decent round of precipitation coming in later this week for a pretty large swath of California.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Another decent round of precipitation coming in later this week for a pretty large swath of California.

I'm worried it's going to be too warm of a storm and actually hurt the snowpack more than help.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Not sure how it'll play out. My first instinct was the check the forecast for Mammoth Lakes and while their daytime temps are a little above freezing, the precipitation forecast is all snow as far as I can see. Hopefully it's all snow for the Sierras.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m going to put on a limb and say Ohio, or at least Columbus, has experienced both the warmest January and February ever

March sucks shit so far tho

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Maine (at least my area) got another 16 inches or so this weekend. Fortunately, we're going to have above freezing temps most of the week so the roads/parking lots are clearing up super quickly. I know I live in a state with bad winters and the stupid "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" shit - but I'm just so tired of plans getting messed up by the weather. I can't wait for Spring, just because I can actually plan my weekends more than 48 hours in advance.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Unfortunately you live closer to the area that has its weather controlled by the dead groundhog

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I haven't been checking the weather, and so was very surprised to get snow this morning! Fortunately it seems we're not getting very much and the stuff we did get doesn't seem to be sticking.
    But still!

• Options
    WW had a new blog update regarding the upcoming storm, but the important bit:

To offer additional context: I'm hearing from folks who are anxious regarding "extreme" or "catastrophic" flooding. Right now, there is nothing to suggest that kind of language is even close to justified. (Believe me: if there were, I'd say so in no uncertain terms!) #CAwx

• Options
    that's good, I guess we'll probably see Some Flooding but not catastrophic floods

BahamutZERO.gif