As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

24567101

Posts

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think it's more of an issue of, why do we still consider those traits to be bad or worth mocking in the same breath as the horrible things they actually did and said and believe.

    Which hey, applies to me as much as anyone. I don't generally say that stuff myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chuckle out of some of those types of insults against the shitheads of the world. It's just one of those base human nature things that we should all really try and be better about.

    The nazis consider those traits to be bad and worth of mocking, that is purpose of using them.

    This is nonsense, come on. Think about it.

    What is your policy on punching nazis, is violence always bad or is it justified ?

    You definitely shouldn't punch a Nazi if doing so would cause them to fall over and injure someone else who is not a Nazi.

    Second-hand, unintended harm is still harm.

    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People will do the wildest fucking mental gymnastics just to not give up making fun of fat people

    sorry, who is making fun of fat people ?

    You are, asshole

    MagellDouglasDangerSolarKristmas KthulhubrackishTubularLuggageElvenshaeph blakeNeveronBloodsheedMulysaSemproniusDepressperadoShadowfireMachwingCambiataLJDouglasHappy Little Machine
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People will do the wildest fucking mental gymnastics just to not give up making fun of fat people

    sorry, who is making fun of fat people ?

    That was the beginning of the argument. Don't call people fat nazis because it makes it clear that you think your fat friends have a moral failing and would insult them if they weren't your friend and that's what you really think of them.

    minor incidentElvenshaeshoeboxjeddyRhesus PositiveCambiata
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simply mock the nazi for traits they don't share with non-nazis, it's not that fuckin hard

    The problem with a fat nazi is not the fat part

    minor incidentKristmas KthulhuBroloElvenshaeshoeboxjeddyCommander ZoomNeveronBloodsheedRhesus PositiveUndead ScottsmanOlivawVegemyteShadowfireCambiataKane Red RobeAngelHedgienever dieFlying CouchHappy Little Machine
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People will do the wildest fucking mental gymnastics just to not give up making fun of fat people

    sorry, who is making fun of fat people ?

    That was the beginning of the argument. Don't call people fat nazis because it makes it clear that you think your fat friends have a moral failing and would insult them if they weren't your friend and that's what you really think of them.

    And before you say "that's not the intent"

    If your statement needs a disclaimer attached to it that explains why it isn't hurtful to other people then probably just don't make that statement in the first place

    MagellKristmas KthulhuElvenshaeNeveronBloodsheedVegemyteMechMantisCambiatanever die
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    We have so many great insults that don't rely on mocking a person's physical appearance so just use those instead.

    Nazi fuck is a classic, you can put in shithead, fuckwad, asshole, or if you want to go really hard, cunt.

    ElvenshaeCommander ZoomRELtasticFlying CouchCambiatanever die
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think it's more of an issue of, why do we still consider those traits to be bad or worth mocking in the same breath as the horrible things they actually did and said and believe.

    Which hey, applies to me as much as anyone. I don't generally say that stuff myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chuckle out of some of those types of insults against the shitheads of the world. It's just one of those base human nature things that we should all really try and be better about.

    The nazis consider those traits to be bad and worth of mocking, that is purpose of using them.

    This is nonsense, come on. Think about it.

    What is your policy on punching nazis, is violence always bad or is it justified ?

    That's not the same thing though is it?

    ElvenshaeCommander ZoomLadai
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    People will do the wildest fucking mental gymnastics just to not give up making fun of fat people

    sorry, who is making fun of fat people ?

    That was the beginning of the argument. Don't call people fat nazis because it makes it clear that you think your fat friends have a moral failing and would insult them if they weren't your friend and that's what you really think of them.

    To be clear I'm the one who started that tangent and I was using fat as an example that Nazis don't deserve the same societal protection and sensitivity that other people enjoy. Or, maybe more specifically, that it's fair to hurl any and all insults at people with grotesque opinions.

    But, as many people clearly described above, physical insults not targeted at a person can still have a lasting injury.

    While I'm not entirely convinced most people couldn't separate the two contexts on their own, the explanation does make me realize I don't want to hurt someone without reason.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    When you intend to harm someone, very rarely can you completely avoid collateral damage. Whether we wish it or not, all humans are connected in some form.

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Paladin wrote: »
    When you intend to harm someone, very rarely can you completely avoid collateral damage. Whether we wish it or not, all humans are connected in some form.

    Bro have you ever tried empathy?

    CelloDex DynamoshoeboxjeddyGR_ZombieTynnantynicNeveronminor incidentBloodsheedMagellKadithH0b0manMunkus BeaverArdolDarkPrimusOdinToxRhesus PositiveAzraithZonugalKetarFrylockHolmesOlivawRanlinSolarShadowfireGnizmoKetBraCambiataAngelHedgienever dieLJDouglasSonelanHappy Little Machine
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    We have so many great insults that don't rely on mocking a person's physical appearance so just use those instead.

    Nazi fuck is a classic, you can put in shithead, fuckwad, asshole, or if you want to go really hard, cunt.

    Except not the last one.

    CellojmcdonaldCommander ZoomtynicBroloToxpookaElaroKane Red RobeOld world monkeyEinzel
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The world's worst people will generally say the most abhorrent things about other people without batting an eyelash or suffering any apparent moral discomfort for doing it, but generally when something even mildly challenging happens to them they throw an enormous fit and try to take the moral high ground about it (somehow not realizing that they are at the bottom of the moral Grand Canyon and even when standing on a soapbox they are inconceivably far below everyone else).

    I don't think it's ok or good to make fun of the appearance of awful people but I can't deny how cathartic it can be to try to give them even the tiniest taste of their own medicine. I am privileged enough to avoid the attention of awful people but if someone who is constantly under their awful scrutiny wants to let off some steam I'm not going to be the one to tell them that they're wrong.

    I hope that makes sense.

  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    I say this as a short person, but I still find it surprising that shitting on a man because of their height is somehow acceptable in this day and age when so much else isn't. (Or at least isn't supposed to be.)

    Body shaming men (and sometimes women) is sadly still socially acceptable, kind of. Even on the left-leaning net it's still acceptable to body shame people, but only if they're someone you're supposed to dislike anyhow - Trump is fat and orange and has tiny fingers, Mitch McConnell looks like a turtle, and if any douchebag goes viral while looking ugly then people will laugh about that. Toupées and comb-overs are also acceptable to mock for whatever reason.
    Also, of course, misgendering transphobes is somehow seen as acceptable and refusing to use the chosen name of assholes as well (e.g. Kanye vs. Ye for a recent one, "Drumpf" for an older one).

    It's a really weird thing that I have to assume just comes from privilege and thinking that it's OK to insult bad people (while not noticing the good people caught in the collateral damage)?

    I would just like to note that Trump is not *naturally* an orange man.

    That infamously shitty spray on bronzer is his choice that he makes daily

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Commander ZoomGR_ZombieDoodmannPeewiMan in the MistsOdinAlexandierHacksawKristmas KthulhuFCDBlackDragon480ReynoldsStraightziElvenshaeShadowfireGnizmoLucedesTicaldfjamCambiatanever dieDee KaeEinzelLJDouglasHappy Little MachineNobeardInvisibleInk
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    I say this as a short person, but I still find it surprising that shitting on a man because of their height is somehow acceptable in this day and age when so much else isn't. (Or at least isn't supposed to be.)

    Body shaming men (and sometimes women) is sadly still socially acceptable, kind of. Even on the left-leaning net it's still acceptable to body shame people, but only if they're someone you're supposed to dislike anyhow - Trump is fat and orange and has tiny fingers, Mitch McConnell looks like a turtle, and if any douchebag goes viral while looking ugly then people will laugh about that. Toupées and comb-overs are also acceptable to mock for whatever reason.
    Also, of course, misgendering transphobes is somehow seen as acceptable and refusing to use the chosen name of assholes as well (e.g. Kanye vs. Ye for a recent one, "Drumpf" for an older one).

    It's a really weird thing that I have to assume just comes from privilege and thinking that it's OK to insult bad people (while not noticing the good people caught in the collateral damage)?

    I would just like to note that Trump is not *naturally* an orange man.

    That infamously shitty spray on bronzer is his choice that he makes daily

    Sure, but that's just body-affirming stuff. There's no reason to mock that any more than there is to mock, say, people getting their hair dyed or any number cosmetic and less cosmetic surgeries.

    There's a lot of people who are mocked and discriminated against for things that aren't how their body "naturally" looks. There's no need to draw a line and say that this particular instance is bad and worth making fun of.

    If people want to use spray-on bronzers, let them. Don't point and laugh because they're different and how dare they be insecure about their skin tone or whatever.

  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    When you intend to harm someone, very rarely can you completely avoid collateral damage. Whether we wish it or not, all humans are connected in some form.

    Bro have you ever tried empathy?

    I suppose one could parse that as "can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs", but I feel like the intent was "beware of setting out to do harm, because you're likely to hurt someone you didn't intend to (and doesn't deserve it) as well"?

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kristmas KthulhuReynoldsLucedesDesserted
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    minor incidentMunkus BeaverLanzPolaritieasofyeunPeenph blakeDouglasDangerMan in the MistsOdinToxLadaiRhesus PositiveDiarmuidUndead ScottsmanDex DynamoKelorTNTrooperBloodsheedAlexandierBrovid HasselsmofadytumMvrckTonkkaCommander ZoomHacksawCelloLabelNarbusKristmas KthulhuZonugalmiscellaneousinsanityJragghentynicLokarnEmperorSethOlivawmatthias00BlackDragon480Mercutio87djmitchellashoeboxjeddySolarReynoldsproxy_hueCantideFlying CouchGoose!VegemyteStraightzisarukunDepressperadoElvenshaeJohnny ChopsockyMillUbikTheySlashThemPerrsunShadowfireJedocNiryaburboMechMantispookaWeaverGnizmoTefLucedesSporkAndrewEtiowsaT-boltElaroTicaldfjamCambiataKane Red RobeAntoshkaSleepnever diesponoEinzelDarmakLJDouglasDessertedSonelanHappy Little MachineNobeardKruitePenumbraDyvim Tvar
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    I say this as a short person, but I still find it surprising that shitting on a man because of their height is somehow acceptable in this day and age when so much else isn't. (Or at least isn't supposed to be.)

    Body shaming men (and sometimes women) is sadly still socially acceptable, kind of. Even on the left-leaning net it's still acceptable to body shame people, but only if they're someone you're supposed to dislike anyhow - Trump is fat and orange and has tiny fingers, Mitch McConnell looks like a turtle, and if any douchebag goes viral while looking ugly then people will laugh about that. Toupées and comb-overs are also acceptable to mock for whatever reason.
    Also, of course, misgendering transphobes is somehow seen as acceptable and refusing to use the chosen name of assholes as well (e.g. Kanye vs. Ye for a recent one, "Drumpf" for an older one).

    It's a really weird thing that I have to assume just comes from privilege and thinking that it's OK to insult bad people (while not noticing the good people caught in the collateral damage)?

    I would just like to note that Trump is not *naturally* an orange man.

    That infamously shitty spray on bronzer is his choice that he makes daily

    Sure, but that's just body-affirming stuff. There's no reason to mock that any more than there is to mock, say, people getting their hair dyed or any number cosmetic and less cosmetic surgeries.

    There's a lot of people who are mocked and discriminated against for things that aren't how their body "naturally" looks. There's no need to draw a line and say that this particular instance is bad and worth making fun of.

    If people want to use spray-on bronzers, let them. Don't point and laugh because they're different and how dare they be insecure about their skin tone or whatever.

    Can we at least note the sickening irony of how the powerful lord who wants for nothing in his life and has made it his express purpose in life to oppress the marginalized, to destroy them and stir up pogroms against them is insecure that his skin is, shock of shocks, a particularly average shade of white dude instead of whatever the fad for tanned white skin was in the 80s that he’s trying to reach back for?

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Man in the Mists
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

    Background behind the original tweet:

    https://youtu.be/wUmIubcIkt8


    More Perfect Union might be the most valuable press outlet of the generation thanks to this alone

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    LadaiGoose!durandal4532Elaro
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think it's more of an issue of, why do we still consider those traits to be bad or worth mocking in the same breath as the horrible things they actually did and said and believe.

    Which hey, applies to me as much as anyone. I don't generally say that stuff myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chuckle out of some of those types of insults against the shitheads of the world. It's just one of those base human nature things that we should all really try and be better about.

    The nazis consider those traits to be bad and worth of mocking, that is purpose of using them.

    This is nonsense, come on. Think about it.

    What is your policy on punching nazis, is violence always bad or is it justified ?

    When you punch a nazi the person being harmed is the nazi and the people who are harmed psychologically are the nazis.

    When you mock a nazi for being fat then you are othering and denigrating fat people as a concept. You are making it a quality to be mocked. So the people harmed by the statement are not nazis, but fat people. It just so happened that this fat person was a nazi, and others who see that comment are not going to say "oh he burned that nazi good" they are gonna see the mocking of the fat person first and foremost.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    NeveronRhesus PositiveDex DynamoBloodsheedminor incidentKristmas KthulhuSolarCantideFlying CouchElvenshaeShadowfireCambiataKane Red RobeAngelHedgienever dieHappy Little Machine
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I simply cannot have empathy for whatever weird insecurities he's violently held on to for 70 years that makes him want to be orange.

    Man in the MistsReynoldsPerrsunLucedesElaroCrippl3RedTide
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I simply cannot have empathy for whatever weird insecurities he's violently held on to for 70 years that makes him want to be orange.

    My theory is that living surrounded by tacky gold leaf all those years has led him to believe that the color of his reflection in the gold is the natural color of human skin.

  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    I say this as a short person, but I still find it surprising that shitting on a man because of their height is somehow acceptable in this day and age when so much else isn't. (Or at least isn't supposed to be.)

    Body shaming men (and sometimes women) is sadly still socially acceptable, kind of. Even on the left-leaning net it's still acceptable to body shame people, but only if they're someone you're supposed to dislike anyhow - Trump is fat and orange and has tiny fingers, Mitch McConnell looks like a turtle, and if any douchebag goes viral while looking ugly then people will laugh about that. Toupées and comb-overs are also acceptable to mock for whatever reason.
    Also, of course, misgendering transphobes is somehow seen as acceptable and refusing to use the chosen name of assholes as well (e.g. Kanye vs. Ye for a recent one, "Drumpf" for an older one).

    It's a really weird thing that I have to assume just comes from privilege and thinking that it's OK to insult bad people (while not noticing the good people caught in the collateral damage)?

    I would just like to note that Trump is not *naturally* an orange man.

    That infamously shitty spray on bronzer is his choice that he makes daily

    Sure, but that's just body-affirming stuff. There's no reason to mock that any more than there is to mock, say, people getting their hair dyed or any number cosmetic and less cosmetic surgeries.

    There's a lot of people who are mocked and discriminated against for things that aren't how their body "naturally" looks. There's no need to draw a line and say that this particular instance is bad and worth making fun of.

    If people want to use spray-on bronzers, let them. Don't point and laugh because they're different and how dare they be insecure about their skin tone or whatever.

    Can we at least note the sickening irony of how the powerful lord who wants for nothing in his life and has made it his express purpose in life to oppress the marginalized, to destroy them and stir up pogroms against them is insecure that his skin is, shock of shocks, a particularly average shade of white dude instead of whatever the fad for tanned white skin was in the 80s that he’s trying to reach back for?

    Sure, but the worst perpetrators of toxic masculinity themselves being victims of toxic masculinity isn't anything new.

    I'm sure he's also insecure about his weight and health given the whole thing with his personal doctor (something about him being the healthiest man in history, IIRC?), and presumably he was self-conscious about his gray hair as well given that he used to dye it prior to... 2020-ish.
    That doesn't mean that it's alright to just go around running a bunch of fatphobic jokes, though, any more than it'd be alright to call a racist black man the N-word just because you know it'd hurt him or, say, go around laughing at a homophobe and calling them gay. Because even if your words don't reach them directly, they will reach others around you and those people will know that the only reason you aren't throwing a bunch of insults at them is because they're on your side.

    But also "look at this fat old man pretending to be young!" isn't really the insult you should be aiming for when you're talking about a fascist piece of shit, imho. Judge the book by its racist contents, not its cover.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think it's more of an issue of, why do we still consider those traits to be bad or worth mocking in the same breath as the horrible things they actually did and said and believe.

    Which hey, applies to me as much as anyone. I don't generally say that stuff myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chuckle out of some of those types of insults against the shitheads of the world. It's just one of those base human nature things that we should all really try and be better about.

    The nazis consider those traits to be bad and worth of mocking, that is purpose of using them.

    This is nonsense, come on. Think about it.

    What is your policy on punching nazis, is violence always bad or is it justified ?

    When you punch a nazi the person being harmed is the nazi and the people who are harmed psychologically are the nazis.

    Hey now, have some sympathy for those poor knuckles bruised by the Nazi's jaw. That stings for a good bit of time.

    ElvenshaeMan in the Mists
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    When you intend to harm someone, very rarely can you completely avoid collateral damage. Whether we wish it or not, all humans are connected in some form.

    Bro have you ever tried empathy?

    I suppose one could parse that as "can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs", but I feel like the intent was "beware of setting out to do harm, because you're likely to hurt someone you didn't intend to (and doesn't deserve it) as well"?

    It's both. To the best of our ability, we have to realize the downstream indirect effects of our actions, moreso with malicious than benevolent actions, and come to terms with those as well as the direct effects. Maybe it is correct that the net good of suppressing evil actors by enemies is worth perpetuating harmful stereotypes for a bit, and things will be all right in the new world once everyone gets with the program. Maybe when all is said and done, we will make the world more dismal because we didn't safeguard the human principles of love, dignity, and respect. These examples do not encapsulate the deep principles of everyone with a stake in this discussion, nor will they ever.

    None of us can make decisions for others on this (sustainably), but we can help each other sort out the consequences so we can all come to our own informed conclusions.

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I don't think it's really weird that all when people who do, say, support such grotesque things don't get societal protections regarding their physical appearance.

    If you want to call a man who is below average height, obese, and Nazi a 'short fat Nazi' I don't have a problem with that, because they are a Nazi.

    It's not really about protecting the feelings of the dirtbag you're insulting. It's more about how all these other short, fat people who have done nothing wrong and now wrestling with their insecurities because people are so quick to drop the mask and use some of their physical attributes as an insult, implying that being short, or fat, or ugly is worthy of the same sort of disdain and mockery that being a nazi is.

    The person you're intending to insult doesn't give a shit, most likely, and will probably never see it. But the insecure kids and other folks who will retreat further into self loathing over it absolutely will, and they'll hold onto that for a lot longer.

    I think I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your perspective. I disagree in that I'm confident non-Nazis are able to differentiate insults hurled at Nazis rather than themselves, but you've given me something important to think about with regards to second victims of what I say.

    If you can't find a way to insult a Nazi without invoking unrelated physical characteristics that are shared by millions, if not billions of non-nazis, maybe just don't bother?

    The emphasis the point, there are roughly a zillion fucked up things related to Nazis that you absolutely should call them out on. Being on the short side of average height or being overweight is totally not one of them. Insult them for their genocide or their repugnant idealogy. You don't need to resort to antiquated insults about their physical appearance like a child.

    You have a big, beautiful brain: Don't waste it!

    ElaroCambiata
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What did you call my brain

    DoodmannKristmas Kthulhu
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Madican wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think it's more of an issue of, why do we still consider those traits to be bad or worth mocking in the same breath as the horrible things they actually did and said and believe.

    Which hey, applies to me as much as anyone. I don't generally say that stuff myself but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a chuckle out of some of those types of insults against the shitheads of the world. It's just one of those base human nature things that we should all really try and be better about.

    The nazis consider those traits to be bad and worth of mocking, that is purpose of using them.

    This is nonsense, come on. Think about it.

    What is your policy on punching nazis, is violence always bad or is it justified ?

    When you punch a nazi the person being harmed is the nazi and the people who are harmed psychologically are the nazis.

    Hey now, have some sympathy for those poor knuckles bruised by the Nazi's jaw. That stings for a good bit of time.

    Yeah but it's a good sting

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Coinage wrote: »
    I simply cannot have empathy for whatever weird insecurities he's violently held on to for 70 years that makes him want to be orange.

    My guess is he was caught up in the way almost golden tans were a white person fashion fad, particularly among the wealthy and influential in The 80s, and like most things with Trump his mind just froze that moment in time for him. So Glowing Golden Tans are inherently a sign of wealth, power and influence to him.

    Which incidentally is why it feels like there’s just such a disconnect between the whole issue of body positivity and trying to make room for Trump’s use of bronzer. These things aren’t the same and have never been particularly the same. His bronzer isn’t like, necessarily some vital aid he needs, it’s an outdated power symbol that was primarily wielded by a white celebrity and financial elite in the Reagan years. And, in his case, one he applies in a slipshod, gaudy manner because nothing about him can be subtle. It’s nothing like caring to not disparage people who are fat or short or are dealing with any other number of physical “outliers” from an idealized social norm. It’s just another expression of his vanity, hubris and craving for social standing above the rest of society which he sees as lesser, and he’s only able to get it by artifice (a fitting metaphor I suppose for the whole deal)

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    FCDSpeed RacerReynoldsMan in the MistsHacksawnever dieHappy Little MachineNobeard
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Trump's bronzing is entirely because he sees being tanned as more attractive than not being tanned, but is too lazy (or scared of cancer) to get an actual tan.

    Years of being an ego-maniac surrounded by yes-men meant nobody was able to give him a straight appraisal about how much he is using, so we wind up with him excessively bronzing himself.

    Elvenshae
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What makes Trump's bronzing especially hilarious is that it's very evident it was not used around his eyes, so there's a distinct raccoon look going on

    ElvenshaeMan in the Mists
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I'm pretty sure Trump's bronzing is entirely because he sees being tanned as more attractive than not being tanned, but is too lazy (or scared of cancer) to get an actual tan.

    Years of being an ego-maniac surrounded by yes-men meant nobody was able to give him a straight appraisal about how much he is using, so we wind up with him excessively bronzing himself.

    Also this

    Like there’s an entire fucked-up politic around tanning and fake tans that we’re barely scratching the surface of, and the deeper it goes the less and less it has in common with body affirmation politics and the more you can see the roots entwine with those of the foundations that underpin body shaming.

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Commander ZoomGR_ZombieGnizmo
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

    It's kind of fucked that this was only possible because a super rich asshole tricked himself into buying a business he can't possibly keep afloat and so implemented a really poorly thought out scheme to make more money, providing the loophole to allow for that shitpost.

    It's like Elon Musk was in charge of a garden and let it go to shit so badly a new form of weed showed up and apparently it's a viable treatment for diabetes.

    ChallArdolDoodmannBahamutZEROToxPeenPolaritieLabelminor incidentKristmas KthulhuCommander ZoomJragghenOlivawMunkus BeaverNeveronshoeboxjeddyBloodsheedMan in the MistssarukunShadowfireTefRhesus PositiveLucedesSporkAndrewTicaldfjamCambiataKane Red RobeHacksawLJDouglasHappy Little Machine
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The most ancient and powerful force of significant, meaningful change is the mistake.

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    DoodmannOneAngryPossumElvenshaeMan in the MistsCambiataLJDouglas
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    The most ancient and powerful force of significant, meaningful change is the mistake.

    Insert a picture of the Tommy Lee Jones meme here

  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

    Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich to Journalist Matan Hodorov: "I liked a tweet calling for the erasure of Huwarah because I think Huwarah needs to be erased. The state should be the one to do that".

    Okay yeah Israel’s just right out going to ramp up the genocide

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    DoodmannKelorminor incidentKristmas KthulhuCommander ZoomZonugalJragghenArdolOlivawBlackDragon480Mercutio87shoeboxjeddyGoose!BloodsheedDarkPrimusMan in the MistsTheySlashThemsarukunShadowfireMvrckLucedesFANTOMASMortal SkyKane Red RobeHacksawnever dieDee KaeHappy Little Machine
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see where the line is when the US stops sponsoring their genocide
    lol there is no line

    Doodmannminor incidentKristmas KthulhuJragghenKadithasofyeunOlivawshoeboxjeddyBahamutZEROCantideGoose!KelorBloodsheedMan in the MistsTheySlashThemShadowfireRhesus PositiveHeadCreepsMulysaSemproniusHacksawnever dieDyvim Tvar
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

    I'm sure he's also insecure about his weight and health given the whole thing with his personal doctor (something about him being the healthiest man in history, IIRC?), and presumably he was self-conscious about his gray hair as well given that he used to dye it prior to... 2020-ish.

    I believe it was "the healthiest US president" which the doctor noted in interviews was a dataset of, like 5 people, most of whom were older than trump, so it was probably technically accurate (clearly ot counting Obama, for some unknown reason)

  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

    Really just moving from one thing to another without ever really getting that far. Whatever happened to the robots that were supposed to revolutionize everything?

    You might not remember Master Plan 2:
    https://www.disconnect.blog/p/will-elon-musks-new-master-plan-address
    Elon Musk’s next master plan arrived ten years later in 2016, with the artistic flourish of being labeled “part deux,” but it looked quite different from the company’s previous strategy. Reflecting the big promises that had been fueling Tesla for several years at that point, it laid out a much more expansive vision for the company — one that Musk has abjectly failed to follow through on, despite all the hype.

    So, in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:
    • Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
    • Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
    • Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
    • Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it
    Only one of the four points in the plan focused on building electric vehicles any longer; instead, autonomous driving was much more central and energy generation got a prominent place.

    Man, remember Tesla's solar roofs?

    Couscous on
    DoodmannElvenshaesarukun
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

    Really just moving from one thing to another without ever really getting that far. Whatever happened to the robots that were supposed to revolutionize everything?

    Or the hyperloop, or boring, or monkey chips, or or or

    Elon has never actually made anything, he just buys stuff puts his name on it and sues the shit out of anyone that argues with him.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    BahamutZEROMunkus BeavershoeboxjeddysarukunPeenReynoldsMvrckRhesus PositiveKane Red RobeMulysaSemproniusEinzel
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

    Their stock price went up by ~1.5% today on the news of them cutting the price of insulin.

    On this 1 year stock price chart, can you point out when the "free insulin" tweet happened? The idea that lilly lost value due to the tweet is dubious, in my opinion.

    R8g6qYy_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

    Did you pick this spot? Where their stock immediately reverted, and then continued to rise for a few months?

    3OGK0z5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

    Please don't let Elon know, but tweets are not as important as some people alledge.

    CouscousjmcdonaldShadowfireDoodmannMulysaSempronius
This discussion has been closed.