As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I swear I remembered AP being like... a real news site at one point

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

Uprising in Marseilles looks fun as hell

I’m at the protest, I’m at the carnaval, I’m at the combination protest-carnaval in Marseilles

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

I’m at the protest, I’m at the carnaval, I’m at the combination protest-carnaval in Marseilles

Mouth of the Rhône, That's where I'm at
    Where you at? Mouth of the Rhône
    No, that's where I'm at, where you at?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Later in the evening, however:

Content warning: bright strobing lights in the first tweet from the cops:

I am prevented from filming. Lots of violent arrests, lots of tear gas. The #Plaine is now emptied.

#Marseille #carnaval

To understand the context, it was after this intervention that I was prevented from filming.
    Marseille, end of the La Plaine festival, a man is pushed then violently beaten by several police officers

Through @Vieux_Jeune

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    who is this person and why do I keep seeing her bad tweets

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

scared-reaction.gif

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I won't lie, the more Joe talks since Republicans took the House the less I'm interested in supporting him.

Cool.

• Options
    Kept her mom from ever going woke. That’s commitment.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    x
    Lanz wrote: »

This is why taxes are so high in france. they gotta keep fixing all the shit that breaks in the bimonthly protests.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Holy shit. This is a murder confession!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I look at the AI talk with a few thoughts in mind.

"Thank god, I believe in multiple intelligence theory." It really let's you cope with the fact that there are some people that are really skilled at doing certain things, that are considered things that require high intelligence, but also capable of having some really fucking stupid ideas. Pretty much, it means someone can both be an excellent doctor, but an absolute fucking idiot at the same time. Listen to them on actual medical advice and then ignore every other god damn stupid thing they have to say about everything outside of medicine.

Anyways, until we have a much better idea on how you get our level of intelligence in squishy ape brains, I'm not too concerned about sentient AI. Sure we could fall backasswards into creating it, but that seem very unlikely. Like for all we know it could be that you only get sentient life with squishy fleshy grey matter and that it's impossible to create a sentient general AI with silicon chips. Hell, we're a fucking long way off from general AI.

I kind of hate the discussion because it takes all attention away from the real issue. Sure you're probably safe from you're smart phone ending up being a determined exterminator out to kill the human race, but the linear AI is now at the point where a fuck ton of jobs, that get big bucks, are now in the cross hairs of being automated. Worse, the dipshits running everything might consider the current level of AI good enough. They only care about what the bottom line will ultimately look at next quarter and are quite happy to take huge hits in quality if the other metrics get them more money in the end.

Our society really isn't ready for the idea of a fuck ton of automation that puts a fuck ton of people out of work because there are so many shitheads that own everything, that have a need to acquire everything and get real pissy when they are told to share. I mean FFS the assholes are trying to bring back child labor because they can't find enough people willing to be fuck over by their employer and they figure their are enough desperate and/or shitty parents that are willing to sell their kids out. Thus allowing them to continue not having to make being employment them be less shit.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    bad tweets are the function of the twitter thread

Yeah but I thought it meant like this
    unpopular take: jesus was a nepo baby

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    bad tweets are the function of the twitter thread

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

You made sure your mom never "woke" again

edit: wow completely beaten to this joke by minor incident, don't know how I missed that post.

proxy_hue on
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, it looks like I got beaten to it by like 3 2 days.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I don’t know how to feel about the “Mandel taking her mom off life support since she made the choice apparently at just sixteen when the choice was letting her mother go in her sleep or let her wake up and go through, apparently, a painful and protracted death with no way out as her body slowly failed from multi-system organ failure” other than a mix of pained empathy and wondering what the fuck hit the fan that a goddamned kid was the one left in the position to make that nightmare of a choice.

Definitely know how to feel about her as an adult calling Palestinians animals who are only not nuked because the risk of nuclear fallout on the Israeli populace though!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I don't think Mandel is a good person but I don't think the way people have engaged with mocking her this go-round is particularly healthy

One of the things about quoting a tweet to dunk on it is that like, you're still providing visibility to the tweet. Still making people look at the bad person's bad takes. Like it's easy to go "haha she doesn't know what woke is". Easy to go "haha the terfs are trying to justify the nazis". But it doesn't change that the terfs and the nazis were friends. It doesn't change that we have to live in the world where that's happening.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I’m not going to condemn someone over an end-of-life decision I’m not privy to any details about.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My mom updates her will every couple of years, but not in that way movies and TV love where she's changing who gets the house or whatever. Instead, she'll occasionally swap whose job it'll be to pull the plug when that time comes. It's always me or my sister, that much is certain.

She'll let us know the change to the will has happened, and she'll sometimes allude vaguely to basing the decision off of, "Who can handle that choice," but she never provides information about the timing of the will change decisions or the factors going into them.

For the first five years of this game, we tried to figure out the rules. Now one of us will just get a text from the other on a random Tuesday, something like, "Your turn."

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I’m not going to condemn someone over an end-of-life decision I’m not privy to any details about.

Yeah, actually using that against her is really reaching when she says all kinds of heinous shit on a daily basis that's much more relevant to shun her over.

minor incident on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nazis: famously against evil things.

Yeah like I don't even understand the shitty point they are trying to make, like bad people are against good things like all the time, its why they are bad people?

the thought process seems to be "Yes, we all agree that Nazis are bad, but I know I'm not bad, so if the Nazis agree with me it must mean that you are actually worse than a Nazi."

CD

Are we the baddies?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Its neat that we have this whole class of people paid to give their opinions and there is literally no opinion dog shit enough to put that position in jeopardy

Much Like Your Posts

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    the thing about lording the fact people are being hypocritical about something over them rather than actually engage with why their views are shitty is that you find yourself in positions like "actually, it is good for people to suffer indefinitely with with a slow burn terminal illness" for 45 likes from strangers

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I mean, are you sure Nazis believe in gravity? They're pretty fucking dumb

The original nazis has the most advanced space program of the 1940’s. I’m pretty sure the believed in gravity. In our dumbest timeline, I am unsure about these current nazis.

What they didn't believe in was "Jewish science", i.e., quantum theory or relativity. Crippled their nuclear program and would have made their space program a joke if they had gotten beyond lobbing primitive rockets at London.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nazis: famously against evil things.

Yeah like I don't even understand the shitty point they are trying to make, like bad people are against good things like all the time, its why they are bad people?

the thought process seems to be "Yes, we all agree that Nazis are bad, but I know I'm not bad, so if the Nazis agree with me it must mean that you are actually worse than a Nazi."

CD

Are we the baddies?

No, it's definitely the Nazis.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

The original nazis has the most advanced space program of the 1940’s. I’m pretty sure the believed in gravity. In our dumbest timeline, I am unsure about these current nazis.

I'm pretty sure a decent amount of new Nazis are also Flat Earthers who believe gravity is actually fake and the reason things fall down is due to the momentum of the great disc that is being propelled through infinite space.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Also the Nazis: Huh, the british seem to be able to detect when and where our bombers and fighters are coming in. Maybe they have some sort of technology related to those spinning metal discs they have on their air force buildings.... nah...I'm sure it's just a spy or something.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It was by means of the sound mirrors constructed on the coast, obviously

f4QympX.jpg

DkmPqVe.jpg

You put a microphone at the focal point and listen for the sound of engines

Those are the 20, 30, and 200ft mirrors at Romney Marsh

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Literal Nazis showed up at a TERF rally in Melbourne, when posted on twitter of course all the terfs at the rally made sure to denounce them.

Hahahaha of course not they came up with a billion excuses for it without displaying even a hint of self-reflection.

It isn’t great that the last time they

I'm pretty sure a decent amount of new Nazis are also Flat Earthers who believe gravity is actually fake and the reason things fall down is due to the momentum of the great disc that is being propelled through infinite space.

There is a video on YouTube somewhere some people go to some flat earthers. They ask them what experiments they would run to prove the earth is flat, then give them everything they need to run them.

So these flat earthers run these experiments and get a result but it’s not what they expected. They run all these experiments several times, keep getting the wrong answer.

They eventually write it off as the equipment being faulty.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Also the Nazis: Huh, the british seem to be able to detect when and where our bombers and fighters are coming in. Maybe they have some sort of technology related to those spinning metal discs they have on their air force buildings.... nah...I'm sure it's just a spy or something.

We'd also nicked their Enigma machines (with the help of Poland)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

We'd also nicked their Enigma machines (with the help of Poland)

Hey, I read about that in a cryptography history book!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Literal Nazis showed up at a TERF rally in Melbourne, when posted on twitter of course all the terfs at the rally made sure to denounce them.

Hahahaha of course not they came up with a billion excuses for it without displaying even a hint of self-reflection.

There is a video on YouTube somewhere some people go to some flat earthers. They ask them what experiments they would run to prove the earth is flat, then give them everything they need to run them.

So these flat earthers run these experiments and get a result but it’s not what they expected. They run all these experiments several times, keep getting the wrong answer.

yeah, I watched a documentary on Flat Earthers where, at the end, the people they'd been interviewing the whole time decided to do the horizon experiment (set up a laser and... three miles, I think, away, set up a board or a mirror or something that would catch the laser). they did the test, the results were obviously "yeah the earth is curved", and they decided that they didn't need to do tests to know they were right.

that was at the end of the documentary, and it ended with the interviewer and all the scientists they interviewed just being like "ugh, these fucking people."

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

This doubles as an excellent experiment for detecting dumb motherfuckers.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Dan Olsen's "In Search of a Flat Earth". He performs the experiment at Lake Minnewanka which is long enough to observe the curve, presents his evidence and is told to "pray on it"

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    yeah at the end of the day the Flat Earth thing is more of a movement of mass contrarianism than it is anything to do with an actual belief in a flat earth

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023

Dan Olsen's "In Search of a Flat Earth". He performs the experiment at Lake Minnewanka which is long enough to observe the curve, presents his evidence and is told to "pray on it"

He also says the flat earth stuff has been less popular these days because "they all went to Q Anon" which seems to track.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    yeah at the end of the day the Flat Earth thing is more of a movement of mass contrarianism than it is anything to do with an actual belief in a flat earth

Based on comments by their leaders it doesn't seem to be either. It seems to be people reeling from the grandness of the universe and scared of their own unimportance. Everything I've watched about them always has one clip of someone saying something akin you "you made us feel small but we aren't, we MATTER". It's a movement wide inferiority complex.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    the thing about lording the fact people are being hypocritical about something over them rather than actually engage with why their views are shitty is that you find yourself in positions like "actually, it is good for people to suffer indefinitely with with a slow burn terminal illness" for 45 likes from strangers

who is saying this

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    learning how truly insignificant I really am was a huge weight off my shoulders, tbh

This discussion has been closed.