As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

never die wrote: »
    Yea my understanding is this is designed to support areas where trees can’t be planted, and/or to supplement them. It’s a cool idea using algae and we need everything we can to combat pollution.
    The articles for this, as usual for science reporting, are bad. The thing isn't a replacement for trees. The plan isn't to put these down instead of planting a tree. Trees are great; however, there are places you could put an algae box that you can't put a tree. That's what these things are designed for.

It's what the quoted article says right there. Should've put it further up though to make that point right at the start.
    The team behind LIQUID 3 has stated that their goal is not to replace forests or tree planting plans but to use this system to fill those urban pockets where there is no space for planting trees. In conditions of intense pollution, such as Belgrade, many trees cannot survive, while algae do not have a problem with the great levels of pollution.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think that's theoretically good and also I feel like it's an easy step from that to declaring that areas don't "have room" because there needs to be four lanes of traffic and street parking

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Never trust a developer

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think that's theoretically good and also I feel like it's an easy step from that to declaring that areas don't "have room" because there needs to be four lanes of traffic and street parking

yeah, also is the cost of manufacturing and maintaining the tanks going to cancel out the environmental benefits of them? like how long does a tank need to run for before it's actually environmentally neutral?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Never trust a developer

Real estate or software

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Never trust a developer

Real estate or software

Exactly

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    JavaScript developers are the worst

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Never trust a developer

Real estate or software

Yep

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Lol, I love how the last few posts are like a bunch of old dudes at a bar mumbling agreements with each other over their cheap beers.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah, also is the cost of manufacturing and maintaining the tanks going to cancel out the environmental benefits of them? like how long does a tank need to run for before it's actually environmentally neutral?

And how much upkeep does it require to keep it running? What happens when that upkeep is not performed or if something breaks?

Like, that's an issue with urban tree growth as well, so maybe it does turn out better there, but it's a question that needs to be asked and answered.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I must be a moron because I need a ton more context for that tweet to make sense.

There's a conference in Boston soon (this weekend, maybe?) about making crypto more green and their tweets read like that but even more incomprehensible.

Scientists create Liquid Trees; a tank full of water and micro-algae that could be an alternative to trees in urban areas.

yeah we're getting all kinds of ideas today

this one might actually have some merit:
    Overall, Serbia ranked 28 in the world for worst air quality in 2020. Currently, the nation has a PM 2.5 concentration, which is 4.9 times above the WHO annual air quality guideline value. It is then no surprise that the country’s citizens suffer from intense side effects of such pollution. In 2019, the Global Alliance for Health and Pollution published the Global, Regional, and Country Analysis of Pollution and Health Metrics. In the report, Serbia was placed as the #1 country in Europe with the highest pollution-related deaths: 175 per 100,000 people, followed by Georgia and Bulgaria. Some activists in the country have even stated that the pollution can be seen, smelt, and tasted during the winter.

Ms. Francine Pickup, Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in Serbia, explained that: “It is estimated that cities are the source of as much as 75% of total CO2 emissions in the world, of which the largest percentage comes from traffic and cooling and heating in buildings”. She later continued to explain that 59% of the Serbian population lives in urban areas and that the number is constantly increasing. Because the population density is so high, creating green areas and planting trees – which represent natural air purification in urban areas– is a complex goal to achieve, as there is a lack of free areas for landscaping.

The microalgae replace two 10-year-old trees or 200 square meters of lawn. The function of the LIQUID 3 is practically an imitation of it. Both trees and grass perform photosynthesis and bind carbon dioxide. However, the advantage of microalgae is that it is 10 to 50 times more efficient than trees. The team behind LIQUID 3 has stated that their goal is not to replace forests or tree planting plans but to use this system to fill those urban pockets where there is no space for planting trees. In conditions of intense pollution, such as Belgrade, many trees cannot survive, while algae do not have a problem with the great levels of pollution.

https://worldbiomarketinsights.com/a-liquid-tree-scientists-in-serbia-make-incredible-innovation/

but I feel like the equipment and energy needed to create and maintain the tank must be undoing large amounts of the purification

and I'm not sure seeing tanks of green goo labeled "tree 2.0" on the streets is really going to bring me back from the "walking into the ocean" plan from above

So that particular site in the first tweet, Yup That Exists? ChatGPT-based automated clickbait farm. The article you actually quoted is real, but the one that Yup That Exists links to is AI word soup that made up a bunch of shit about algae carbon nanotubes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Variety reporting that "Twitter will exempt 10,000 most-followed companies and organizations from $1,000 monthly verified-status charge."

I guess the attempt at extortion didn't work, and now only the lesser-followed verified organizations (you know, like your city's Office of Emergency Management) will have to shell out?

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    ahahahaa this is so pathetic

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    That is hilariously an even worse solution given Twitter's own stated issue with fake accounts and how easy it is to boost follower counts. It's Elon's whole reason for making the subscription system!!! It's a terrible way to think about what accounts on the platform should be "verified".

It is so fucking funny how bad he is at this, and how reactionary his decisions are. He has no plan, it is truly no thoughts only vibes decision making.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    aww did someone realize that corps and journalists abandoning his dumb platform he broke would vastly accelerate its descent into irrelevance?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    honestly if a lot of the journalists did actually abandoned twitter i think the world would improve in the small way of less twitter beefs and online hurt feelings being reported as news.

but i think they are too addicted to it to ever properly abandon ship.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    honestly if a lot of the journalists did actually abandoned twitter i think the world would improve in the small way of less twitter beefs and online hurt feelings being reported as news.

it is always so sad when I'll see an article and i'm like oh i'm interested in this, and then the article is literally a page full of random people's twitter reactions to something.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The most-followed companies, brands and organizations on Twitter include Twitter itself, as well as YouTube, NASA, CNN, ESPN, the New York Times, the NBA and the BBC’s breaking news account.

Oh, there you go, they couldn't pay the fee so they scrapped it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

That's unfortunately also a problem with just planting new trees, especially when it's done in exchange for some older trees, like it often happens with larger construction

• Options
    edited March 2023
    cursedking wrote: »

it is always so sad when I'll see an article and i'm like oh i'm interested in this, and then the article is literally a page full of random people's twitter reactions to something.

oh that kinda content mining is the pits, though a fun game is finding out which of your tweets have been cited in an article without your knowledge.

but I was more speaking to the substack/columinists/etc who say something dog stupid on twitter, get yelled at, and decided it's now the nation's business.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh, the algae tanks would be good for space I bet

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

The good thing about Twitter is that it makes journalism easier, the bad thing about Twitter is it makes journalism easier

So yeah it makes it easier to report on stories from traditionally-overlooked areas, it makes it easier to find wide-ranging sources on subjects, it provides channels of access that didn't previously exist to both sources and audiences, good stuff!

But it's also easier to just report on whatever dumb bullshit comes across your feed and know you'll get engagement because if it's on your feed, it's on plenty of feeds, and who can resist a bit of low-effort/high-return slacking off?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Yeah. It kinda sucks how instrumental it has been from less covered areas. But I also think the inherent structure of twitter means at a certain point you are kind of doomed to get stuck in an engagement trap. The kinda thing where journalists increasingly shoot from the hip because the numbers go up, and it's easy to justify to get eyes on your particular beat (or in the more cynical cases keep subscriptions up) And since it's so immediate and with almost zero oversight pretty much everybody gets sloppy on it. Doesn't really matter the political persuasion.

Really another side of us getting our asses kicked by the complete corporatization of most news and venture capitalists dismantling of the rest. Just having to hunt for the good info in a sea of noise and mostly drama.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Pretty much all of generational reporting is based on the writer seeing one annoying person on their timeline, getting mad, and extrapolating that into a trend.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    To make rent this month I need to write another 15 of these articles by the end of the day.

dear god I feel this in my soul.

It was never literally that bad, but there was a period where, after getting swept up in a massive layoff at my paper, I wrote for Patch for a few months and I absolutely had to vomit out these SEO/algorithmically mandated article-ish pieces one after another, day after day and I hated every second of it.

I was also really bad at it. My disdain for pretty much everything I was writing was coming through to the point where I'm pretty sure I was about a day or two from getting fired when I let my boss know I found another job and was quitting.

Like, her response was "Great!"

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Pretty much all of generational reporting is based on the writer seeing one annoying person on their timeline, getting mad, and extrapolating that into a trend.

look is this bad journalism?

yes.

do i understand this?

also yes.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    the eternal teen develops the boomer undercurrent. time comes for us all.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think social media sucks for a lot of reasons, but providing a massive broadcast boost to the idea that everyone's opinions matter and are equally valid is what's fucking a lot of things up today.

It's created this massive self fulfilling ecosystem where idiots and con artists are conflated with actual trained experts and led to the 'both sides' shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

LeBron James ain't paying for Blue.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I think social media sucks for a lot of reasons, but providing a massive broadcast boost to the idea that everyone's opinions matter and are equally valid is what's fucking a lot of things up today.

It's created this massive self fulfilling ecosystem where idiots and con artists are conflated with actual trained experts and led to the 'both sides' shit.

Well that and the way it is habit forming

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    "Technological replacement for trees" is the most looking-for-a-problem solution I have ever seen

vu30jlcp9lux.jpg

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    [
    the eternal teen develops the boomer undercurrent. time comes for us all.

turning one person being annoying into force out to get you is both the most teen thing and the most boomer thing

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    And yeah twitter absolutely exacerbates what is probably the biggest issue/bias common to nearly all daily news reporters (the print and digital ones anyway -- I can't speak for TV), and that is a sense of exhaustion that at best renders the reporter functional yet burned out, and at worst manifests as just straight up laziness.

Most reporters are constantly looking for the path of least resistance that will allow them to say they did the bare minimum to complete a story and push it out, because they know they have a dozen of other things to cover that day. This has only gotten worse as newsrooms shrink.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Well that and the way it is habit forming

If I had to think of the awful contributions of social media in no particular order,

- Validation of idiots / con artists
    - Self reinforcing echo chambers creating widespread conspiracy theories
    - Crushing peoples self esteem when trying to compare onseld to photogenic influencers (particularly young people)
    - Yeah. The addiction / doom scrolling.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    My generation is the best generation for the simple fact that it contains the largest number of people who have won pieces of the Aggro Crag.

Top that, "Greatest Generation."

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    My generation is the best generation for the simple fact that it contains the largest number of people who have won pieces of the Aggro Crag.

Also the most golden idols stolen from the Hidden Temple

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    enxnjaw10cd7.png

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »

Also the most golden idols stolen from the Hidden Temple

Just don't talk about our collective ability at putting a three piece puzzle of a monkey together.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    enxnjaw10cd7.png

a hidden gem

This discussion has been closed.