As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Twitter also committed old fashioned wage theft

NEW: Twitter hasn’t paid thousands of dollars in charitable donations that employees made in 2022, around the time of the acquisition. The money was taken out of employee paychecks but never reached the organizations. Benevity, the third-party platform that is used to facilitate the payments, told employees Twitter hasn’t yet approved the payments. After I started asking around about this yesterday Twitter said it is “actively working” to get the money to the NGOs.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think that's theoretically good and also I feel like it's an easy step from that to declaring that areas don't "have room" because there needs to be four lanes of traffic and street parking

yeah, also is the cost of manufacturing and maintaining the tanks going to cancel out the environmental benefits of them? like how long does a tank need to run for before it's actually environmentally neutral?

And how much upkeep does it require to keep it running? What happens when that upkeep is not performed or if something breaks?

Like, that's an issue with urban tree growth as well, so maybe it does turn out better there, but it's a question that needs to be asked and answered.

Trees store their carbon as wood, which is fairly sturdy and lasts for a long time. Wood is a carbon sink.

Micro algae stores their carbon as micro algae. Which decomposes rapidly when the algae dies, and releases it's carbon back to the earth/atmosphere. What do they do with the dead algae? If they seal it in airtight materials and throw it into the bottom of a mine, maybe it would work as a carbon sink?

Otherwise it's just a fun weird piece of the carbon cycle and does nothing to change the atmospheric carbon levels, as far as I can see?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, stuff usually eats the algae in nature.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    And then that stuff dies, yeah.

Like I said, it's part of the carbon cycle. It's not reducing carbon, it's just...there?

Whereas real trees turn into wood and get made into buildings that stand for 50 years sequestering carbon the whole time. It's why trees are cool and liquid trees are...?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, stuff usually eats the algae in nature.

Yeah, the food chain sequesters it to a degree - I'm not actually sure how that all breaks down for how much is locked up long term. Certainly more than this whole mess would.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    aww did someone realize that corps and journalists abandoning his dumb platform he broke would vastly accelerate its descent into irrelevance?

Which is exactly why I hoped he wouldn't figure out for a while longer.

Gustav wrote: »
    honestly if a lot of the journalists did actually abandoned twitter i think the world would improve in the small way of less twitter beefs and online hurt feelings being reported as news.

but i think they are too addicted to it to ever properly abandon ship.

Alas, this is why I'm not sure it would have made a difference if he had (not).

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Couscous wrote: »
    Twitter also committed old fashioned wage theft

NEW: Twitter hasn’t paid thousands of dollars in charitable donations that employees made in 2022, around the time of the acquisition. The money was taken out of employee paychecks but never reached the organizations. Benevity, the third-party platform that is used to facilitate the payments, told employees Twitter hasn’t yet approved the payments. After I started asking around about this yesterday Twitter said it is “actively working” to get the money to the NGOs.

Wouldn't this be more regular theft/fraud than wage theft, since the employees charitable donations were presumably approved? Still shitty, but also exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to happen by accident from a company slashing and burning employees and losing a bunch of random functionality in every aspect of their business.

E: I say this as somebody who still routinely gets and forwards on emails for some system we have to connect with a vendor that nobody has bothered to update the primary contact for three engineers ago; it's remarkably easy to just lose little tiny 15 minute tasks that are critical for some external client.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    The problem with CO2 on earth is that we dug a shit load of CO2 out of the ground and added it to the carbon cycle.

To fix the issue, we need to take CO2 from the carbon cycle and remove it into space/back underground/break the CO2 into something else, and also stop digging up CO2.

Growing some algae doesn't do that, unless you shoot your liquid tree into space, or bury it underground.

Trees kinda help, because we also need wood and they are (long term versus human lifespan, short term in geological sense) carbon sinks.

Liquid trees might help local air pollution levels if the dead liquid trees are sent somewhere else, but as the carbon cycle, cycles, it is equally pollution the local air in whichever area the dead algae is moved to.

If America grew liquid trees in new York and sent them to oklahoma, new York air quality would improve and oklahoma air quality would decrease

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Growing algae helps because it's a lot of carbon sequestered right now, which is good if the goal is to improve local air quality at a specific location in a specific point in time. As long as it's not pitched beyond what it's actually useful for, it's Fine.

(obviously having greener cities that are more walkable would be an improvement but at the same time if the algae is beneficial for air quality now without a bunch of reconstruction it's not nothing, y'know? Short term benefits to people's health are still nice).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Liquid trees is a pair of bullshit words we shouldn't be endorsing.

Algae boxes. As effective as it sounds.

• Options

It isn't that useful if you exclude the more controversial stuff from the release

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Liquid trees

The forbidden smoothie

Alternatively it sounds like a brand of THC vape oil

• Options
    edited March 2023

what

what

that isn't even enough time to get somewhat used to changes, much less tell whether there is a problem with it or if it is just an unusually shit day for tweets or whatever

Couscous on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Honestly air scrubbing algae tanks kinda starts to get into that cyberpunk shit I do like. Some of those all lit up in front of the arcology like structures they’ve started to build and yeah that fits right in.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    enxnjaw10cd7.png

Listen the available vacation packages were this or the beach that makes you old.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Honestly air scrubbing algae tanks kinda starts to get into that cyberpunk shit I do like. Some of those all lit up in front of the arcology like structures they’ve started to build and yeah that fits right in.

Double agree with the hard cyberpunk feel. Especially because it would inevitably become a corpo thing sold to cities under the guise of repairing the damage created by corpo entities, likely for great profit.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the officiant was his mother and this was a harry potter themed wedding

y'all ever think about how mount toba should've finished our asses before we even got started?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I punched out in like 3 seconds I just couldn't go any further in that video

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Huh, I wonder why I'm blocked by that Twitter account

• Options
    burning heart of jesus, cross, american flag?

red flags

• Options
    oh I have no idea who the poster is, the clip just came across my tl and I needed all of you degenerates to suffer like I did

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    burning heart of jesus, cross, american flag?

red flags

It's always nice of them to let everyone know, at least

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Man that liquid trees thing is pure rent-seeking bullshit.

You know that whole company is all about selling expensive service packages. Why not real trees? Well because your existing public works department knows how to take care of trees and can buy supplies to do so from anywhere, how does that generate ongoing revenue???

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

y'all ever think about how mount toba should've finished our asses before we even got started?

Everything becomes a husle

https://www.garbageday.email/p/kayfabe-content-and-podcasts-that
    This is weirdly similar, in terms of thematic content, to the fake-podcast clip above, but tells a slightly different story about online context collapse. I first saw this controversial wedding vows exchange in the video in the tweet above. Though, the video, itself, is a clip from a user named @gemma2e dueting the original TikTok video, which was posted by a wedding photographer that goes by @lensculture. I’m unclear if @lensculture was the wedding photographer that actually shot the wedding or not, but either way, I’m not sure blowing up a couple’s wedding is a good way to advertise your services.

The video went so viral the bride actually had to reply to @lensculture’s video and also post a video defending her husband’s (very bad) vows. She’s also currently using the video’s virality to sell vibrators. And just in case you wanted some more psychic damage, all of this apparently happened at a Harry Potter-themed wedding barn wedding.

Look, if a cringe Snape wife wants to have a lame Pinterest wedding with her misogynist soyjak Reddit husband I actually don’t think that needs to be a trending topic. I’m sure they’re a fun couple to go to Buffalo Wild Wings with. And if it was her actual wedding photographer that kicked all of this off in the first place, I would literally consider suing him for emotional distress. Though, I suppose using said distress to sell sex toys complicates things. But I honestly just don’t think we’re meant to live this much in public. Weddings, like most big moments in people’s lives, are weird and personal and complicated and probably not really meant for this level of mass consumption.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    that mfer paid for twitter

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Feels like a lot of people are mapping stuff onto these algae tanks that we don't know is the case

There are legit reasons why trees are not a good idea in certain areas. There may not be space. The soil might not be good. The roots can obstruct or damage pipes and pavement. They also just take a long time to grow! Belgrade, where those algae tanks are, is an extremely polluted area. The algae is also way more efficient at oxygen exchange than trees are

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/07/this-liquid-tree-in-belgrade-is-fighting-back-against-air-pollution

It's not meant to replace trees, it's just filling gaps. Also it seems like the project came out of the University of Belgrade, not some techbro startup

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This whole thing has been very funny because the quoted section of that article in this very thread contains the words "This is not meant to replace planting trees"

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Everything becomes a husle

https://www.garbageday.email/p/kayfabe-content-and-podcasts-that
    This is weirdly similar, in terms of thematic content, to the fake-podcast clip above, but tells a slightly different story about online context collapse. I first saw this controversial wedding vows exchange in the video in the tweet above. Though, the video, itself, is a clip from a user named @gemma2e dueting the original TikTok video, which was posted by a wedding photographer that goes by @lensculture. I’m unclear if @lensculture was the wedding photographer that actually shot the wedding or not, but either way, I’m not sure blowing up a couple’s wedding is a good way to advertise your services.

The video went so viral the bride actually had to reply to @lensculture’s video and also post a video defending her husband’s (very bad) vows. She’s also currently using the video’s virality to sell vibrators. And just in case you wanted some more psychic damage, all of this apparently happened at a Harry Potter-themed wedding barn wedding.

Look, if a cringe Snape wife wants to have a lame Pinterest wedding with her misogynist soyjak Reddit husband I actually don’t think that needs to be a trending topic. I’m sure they’re a fun couple to go to Buffalo Wild Wings with. And if it was her actual wedding photographer that kicked all of this off in the first place, I would literally consider suing him for emotional distress. Though, I suppose using said distress to sell sex toys complicates things. But I honestly just don’t think we’re meant to live this much in public. Weddings, like most big moments in people’s lives, are weird and personal and complicated and probably not really meant for this level of mass consumption.

what

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel like as social media has taken over more and more of people's lives I've like...actively eschewed using it? Like the idea of ever putting myself on display like that is horrifying

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I feel like as social media has taken over more and more of people's lives I've like...actively eschewed using it? Like the idea of ever putting myself on display like that is horrifying

And for some people it's the only way they can cum.

The duality of man.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    This whole thing has been very funny because the quoted section of that article in this very thread contains the words "This is not meant to replace planting trees"

Probably because most assume that the corps and techbros will immediately turn around and assert "this can totally make us profit replace trees."

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Feels like a lot of people are mapping stuff onto these algae tanks that we don't know is the case

There are legit reasons why trees are not a good idea in certain areas. There may not be space. The soil might not be good. The roots can obstruct or damage pipes and pavement. They also just take a long time to grow! Belgrade, where those algae tanks are, is an extremely polluted area. The algae is also way more efficient at oxygen exchange than trees are

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/07/this-liquid-tree-in-belgrade-is-fighting-back-against-air-pollution

It's not meant to replace trees, it's just filling gaps. Also it seems like the project came out of the University of Belgrade, not some techbro startup

Even if you can't plant trees, if the goal of algae tanks is to remove carbon from the atmosphere, they fail at the goal.

When one algae reproduces into two algae, the carbon the 2nd algae removes from the atmosphere is reintroduced to the atmosphere when the 1st algae dies. I can't find good info for the lifespan of a generic individual micro algae, but I imagine it would be on the scale of months? Maybe years? But, like, a tree makes wood and wood lasts decades, it's why trees are good (but not great!) at sequestering carbon.

Turning CO2 into algae and algae into food and food into farts sequesters the CO2 for, like, 12 hours.

And that's before you get into the costs of building a glass tank, and transporting water to the tank, and cleaning the glass so it can transmit sunlight, and removing the dead algae so new live algae can continue to uptake carbon.

The math isn't there regardless of whether they can grow trees or not.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/09/19/1035889/kelp-carbon-removal-seaweed-sinking-climate-change/
    Crumley says that huge fleets of semi-autonomous vessels growing kelp could suck up around a trillion tons of carbon dioxide and store it away in the depths of the sea, effectively reversing climate change. “With a small amount of open ocean,” he says, “we can get back to preindustrial levels” of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

But scientists are still grappling with fundamental questions about this approach. How much kelp can we grow? What will it take to ensure that most of the seaweed sinks to the bottom of the ocean? And how much of the carbon will stay there long enough to really help the climate?

In addition, no one knows what the ecological impact of depositing billions of tons of dead biomass on sea floor would be.

The key part of this isn't growing the algae, it's finding a way to store it so it is not immediately re-release back into the atmosphere.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Touching grass is free

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Touching grass is free

Wild grass is free.
    Manicured, well-watered lawns in the middle of deserts definitely are not.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

dynamite was not meant to blow up human beings

but people tend to find off label uses for things that aren't always great for humanity as a whole

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    The original news story was in 2021 and there doesn't appear to have been anything since then so I think this is mostly just evidence that everybody on twitter is kind of gullible and immediately believe some no name twitter account reposting it with new false claims years later

Couscous on
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    If the only missing part is sequestering it, and we have a semi autonomous fleet to collect it, then I feel like we're almost there. Just bring it to shore and dump it down a very very deep hole.

• Options

What is the algae tank meant to do?

It does not replace planting trees.

It does not sequester carbon.

Do they just want more green color in their city? That is probably a good societal benefit and worthy of presuit.

But these tanks can't do anything for climate change.

• Options
    Lake Erie often turns that color in early summer

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    reiterating:
    So that particular site in the first tweet, Yup That Exists? ChatGPT-based automated clickbait farm. The article [Brolo] actually quoted is real, but the one that Yup That Exists links to is AI word soup that made up a bunch of shit about algae carbon nanotubes.

The Yup That Exists tweet is what dug up this topic from 2021 as far as I can tell

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.