As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    not as cool as playing resident evil 5 with your older brother

which is what I'm doing

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    not as cool as playing resident evil 5 with your older brother

which is what I'm doing

yeah well you work with what you got

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2023
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    It's kinda wild how little the modern world seems to care about children just, generally

Fewer and fewer places for kids to go in the real world, fewer and fewer places for kids to go in media. And as with all problems, those problems are worse for kids in families without money.

kids ain't got spending power

parents do, though

wait, I guess that's not true anymore

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It's kinda wild how little the modern world seems to care about children just, generally

Fewer and fewer places for kids to go in the real world, fewer and fewer places for kids to go in media. And as with all problems, those problems are worse for kids in families without money.

My neighborhood facebook group is terrible about that. Old people are always complaining about kids on the basketball court not living here and swearing near the playground.

One of them posted a video of the kids playing and wanted to verify their parents live in the neighborhood.

Every time a kid is walking in the neighborhood they think it's suspicious, its dumb as fuck.

Magell on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

kids ain't got spending power

parents do, though

wait, I guess that's not true anymore

they're not having kids anymore, either.

funny how that works.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

My neighborhood facebook group is terrible about that. Old people are always complaining about kids on the basketball court not living here and swearing near the playground.

One of them posted a video of the kids playing and wanted to verify their parents live in the neighborhood.

Every time a kid is walking in the neighborhood they think it's suspicious, its dumb as fuck.

Dude, I literally just, like 10 seconds ago, saw a post on my town’s FB page exactly like this. Some jerkoff posting video from their ring doorbell that showed some kids running around on the sidewalk across the street from their house (where there’s a public basketball court), saying “if this noise keeps up I’m going to start calling the cops”.

The most depressing part is that almost every comment on there backed them up and said they should call the cops and that getting arrested might make those darn kids respect the quiet of the neighborhood more.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

Dude, I literally just, like 10 seconds ago, saw a post on my town’s FB page exactly like this. Some jerkoff posting video from their ring doorbell that showed some kids running around on the sidewalk across the street from their house (where there’s a public basketball court), saying “if this noise keeps up I’m going to start calling the cops”.

The most depressing part is that almost every comment on there backed them up and said they should call the cops and that getting arrested might make those darn kids respect the quiet of the neighborhood more.

Thankfully the community had them take the video down, but so many people support those posts it drives me insane.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Look, when you were their age you were little shits too."
    (hell, they were probably worse)

• Options
    "Look, when you were their age you were little shits too."
    (hell, they were probably worse)

Back in Michigan I was at a bar by an inland lake and an old lady was complaining about how loud the kids are on the boats with their music and she's complaining to her friend for a while and then her husband spoke up to remind her that they did the same thing when they were kids and at least I felt a little better about that.

But all the old people will go on about how disrespectful kids are today and then simultaneously relate stories of them back in the day as kids and all the weird shit they do and never make the connection that kids are always going to be kind of disrespectful.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

My local Facebook groups current obsession is trying to find evidence that crime is up to justify spending more money for a security service.

Crime is down, but don’t tell them.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Also the Facebook group also complains about how much the rates cost.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I mean there's a LOT of kids shows. And there's all those crazy trampoline places!

No double dare or legends of the hidden temple though, so it is objectively worse.

But WHERE are those kids show, is kinda my question

Seems like they're all on streamers (requiring a not-insignificant tech and subscription buy-in), or on YouTube (which seems like a hellscape for a variety of reasons)

Does over-the-air TV still have kids shows? Is Saturday morning TV still a thing? How's PBS doing these days?

I ain't even got kids but it seems like the world is getting pretty actively hostile to the little ones!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I believe all Saturday and Sunday morning kids stuff is either gone or replaced entirely by 'educational' shows.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    In my area, Telexitos shows cartoons on Saturday mornings, when it's not pre-empted by Football. So, there's that.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

I mean there's a LOT of kids shows. And there's all those crazy trampoline places!

No double dare or legends of the hidden temple though, so it is objectively worse.

Seems like they're all on streamers (requiring a not-insignificant tech and subscription buy-in), or on YouTube (which seems like a hellscape for a variety of reasons)

Does over-the-air TV still have kids shows? Is Saturday morning TV still a thing? How's PBS doing these days?

I ain't even got kids but it seems like the world is getting pretty actively hostile to the little ones!

As a remote worker I can assure you CBC has a Paddington 2 inspired kids show *and* a show where a kitten and a puppy hang out with a bunch of other animals and the one episode I blearily watched hungover featured a turtle-led parade

I think the kids are gonna be okay up here at least

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The Adventures of Paddington is a great show. Has the same voice actor for Paddington as the file.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Why did Ben 10 get so many series/reboots/live action movies

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Why did Ben 10 get so many series/reboots/live action movies

Because it was really good. Ben out of ten.

• Options
    Students once judged me because I couldn’t remember all of the different aliens that Ben could turn into.

Neither could they, but they still judged me.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I can only speak for Australia, but we definitely have at least a couple of national free-to-air channels specifically for kids that are still going strong

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

I bet you would have never guessed that police in the US could be unbelievably, unncessarily cruel.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    In my city, METV has 3 hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings (one hour of Popeye, one hour of MGM (Tom and Jerry and the like) and one hour of Warner Brothers), followed by an hour of Flintstones and an hour of Jetsons.

They start at 6am.

On Sundays, there's three hours of Saved By The Bell. A show I already dislike, and dislike even more now because it replaced the two hour block of Beakman's World and Bill Nye that used to run in that timeframe. Saved By The Bell is even labeled as 'e/i', marking it as 'educational', to which I say "bullshit".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

I bet you would have never guessed that police in the US could be unbelievably, unncessarily cruel.

Shasta County. Of course.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I hope the lesson she took away from this educational experience is more along the lines of ACAB than whatever they intended to "teach" her.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    facetious wrote: »

Shasta County. Of course.

Jesus. I live in Tehama and have lived in Shasta part of my life.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I don't know from Shasta county but the one thing I now know about it makes me think it isn't very nice

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Ok I'm confused

unless I'm misreading something, the article says Dahle agreed to let the goat live and be part of a weed removal project instead, and it was the fair officials who pushed for cops to merc the goat

Veldrin on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

if you must do the bit at least go to the trouble of learning your lines

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused

unless I'm misreading something, the article says Dahle agreed to let the goat live and be part of a weed removal project instead, and it was the fair officials who pushed for cops to merc the goat

reading more carefully i think the senator only bought the rights to some goat meat and not the goat itself so he never really had a say (and it seems just put out that statement to look good and didn't really try to do anything to intercede with the fair)

also the cops didn't even kill the goat, just returned it to the fair, who then sent it to be slaughtered

It's not every day that *checks notes* county fair organizers are bigger bastards than the cops

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

We don't even have broadcast TV in our house and haven't had for over ten years. It surprises me every time I go somewhere that does and see it. Feels like I've gone back in time.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    PBS had a pretty good afternoon lineup of cartoons and live action edu-shows 6 years ago, the last time I had a reason to know. No idea if that's still the case.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

if you must do the bit at least go to the trouble of learning your lines

I think the halting delivery off notes works

Gives a "printed off FunnyWeddingSpeeches.com the day of the wedding" vibe

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I wrote a whole post about why kids don't have anywhere to go but, yeah, it's mostly that people don't see any money in catering to children specifically when they can cater to EVERY DEMOGRAPHIC AT ONCE instead and make a worse product for everyone. You combine that with the intense fearmongering conservatives do about...everything, and you've got a combo of "capitalism doesn't see value in this," and "government programs that might create some of these spaces with taxpayer money are getting their budgets slashed or some TERF directed their lunatic social media following to direct bomb threats at a park because it's 'woke'"

Thinking of some of the stuff I did as a kid, and what's still around...I looked up what Little League costs, and it's not...wildly expensive to sign up, but signing up is only half the problem, and it's only...in the summer. The Boy Scouts are filing bankruptcy to get out from under a mountain of abuse lawsuits, and even without that the only places that had been willing to house them had been churches. My neighborhood growing up had a bunch of kids that were roughly my age, and now the only time there are kids in that neighborhood is when my nieces and nephews visit my parents.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    RIP mall arcades

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok I'm confused

reading more carefully i think the senator only bought the rights to some goat meat and not the goat itself so he never really had a say (and it seems just put out that statement to look good and didn't really try to do anything to intercede with the fair)

also the cops didn't even kill the goat, just returned it to the fair, who then sent it to be slaughtered

It's not every day that *checks notes* county fair organizers are bigger bastards than the cops

The cops claimed it was a felony when it wasn't and drove several hundred miles to get it when they should have never been involved at all. They are entirely to blame for the goat being dead.

• Options
    let's not forget the judge who signed the warrant!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Why cater to kids when you can cater to 30-something adult children? They have more money to spend! Instead of attracting new fans from a new generation we simply get more money from the people already invested! There's no possible way this plan could backfire!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

the officiant was his mother and this was a harry potter themed wedding

y'all ever think about how mount toba should've finished our asses before we even got started?

God. That is a 45 second video. I got through 5. I refuse to go any further. Fuck that.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    let's not forget the judge who signed the warrant!

I thought they didn’t have a warrant; they claimed the “property owner gave them permission”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.