Options

[Battletech] Please, won't someone think of the STOMPY BOTS!

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    That chromed Crusader in the background is really eye catching.
    Please tell me it's painted in a shiny metallic and not some unbelievably awesome NMM.

HAH! im far too amateurish for NMM. I cant even jewel a cockpit. Its just a rattle can of AP chainmail metal.
    ZBcaDb9.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Something I've wanted for a while, is a good, proper, long length watch/read about the history of the BT franchise. There's a ton of lore stuff out there, but I'm looking for more of a retrospective, historical take about the birth of the game, the people around it, and the evolution of the license over time. Any ideas on where to look for that kind of thing?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Something I've wanted for a while, is a good, proper, long length watch/read about the history of the BT franchise. There's a ton of lore stuff out there, but I'm looking for more of a retrospective, historical take about the birth of the game, the people around it, and the evolution of the license over time. Any ideas on where to look for that kind of thing?

This article from Polygon I found quite good.

There are numerous articles like that and they all hold pieces to the larger puzzle though. I don't think anyone has created a proper deep dive on it, which is a shame.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Yeah that article is 1000% what I’m looking for. And holy shit the 80s were a different time; battledamaging minis on the table, a real-life wedding celebration for Hans and Melissa with the announcement of the Capellan invasion, then pulling people out of the audience to play out the scenarios… puts modern live events to shame.

• Options
    Tried out some AP Night Scales metallic today. It’s a lovely color, not sure it works with the scheme exactly. Tried it on the weaponry here, and the…. Tread wheels? Gears? Whatever. The Level II is well on its way.
    2x3gcgjatzss.jpeg

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Nips Where's that MUL you used to have us roll on for a starter mech when we played MegaMek?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I reeeeally need an easy way to save a force list and be able to select specific elements of it to easily print alpha strike cards en masse. MegaMek does a close job, but its not great.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Nips Where's that MUL you used to have us roll on for a starter mech when we played MegaMek?

It's been a dog's age since then. Let me see if I can dig anything up, or even remember the details of the game.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

@DaMoonRulz I think I found the scenario document. Link here, peruse at your leisure.

The selection criteria were less "Roll on a RAT" and more "Here's some guardrails to picking from anything canon".

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Another Wednesday and you know what that means! Thats right boys and girls, hot Clan on Clan action!

600 points. Decided to go with a binary. Lighter star at skill 4, then the big boys at skill 1 and 0. They fought against a reinforced binary of regular skill 4 pilots in lots of large mechs. In the end, it was pretty well balanced with both of us left with one guy in the final round.

Our only option was a hard push into the enemy, using our lights as a screen/cannon fodder to get the better skilled pilots in medium to close range.
    smMzQm1.jpg

Surprisingly a couple lights/mediums survived to nearly the end on sheer luck. they got in close and proved mostly effective distracting the enemy before blowing up in a fiery mess. At this point i thought we we're done, but the less skilled troops couldnt land shots while we were only having to roll 4+ and 5+ for most attacks. Though i will say i missed 4 5+ rolls in a row, which almost finished off our hopes.
    GE3guKd.jpg

Once the elite troops got into range they were able to pick off 2-3 mechs a round, even though they were being whittled down and completely outgunned and out armored.
    qGsIA1m.jpg

A mostly dead Mad Cat and fresh Nova vs a fresh Executioner. Once again, thought we were toast. But he kept missing and we were basically in auto hit range.
    8eKPGmx.jpg

VICTORY!
    Pl5ZRUg.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Dilemma:

I've scoped a listing for a "Vintage Ral Partha BattleTech Miniature". It's clear to me from the pictures that it's a Battledroids-Era Stinger. It seems clear to me, however, that it's probably a recast: there's deformities in the sculpt (missing its main gun, even) and the base, and there's no manufacturer stamp under the base (though it's scratched out entirely on the bottom, which for a second-hand soft-lead figure isn't surprising).

It's going (currently) for waaaaay under comparable listings I've seen in the past, and things like this don't come up often. Still, the nagging doubt.

Bite, or nah?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Dilemma:

I've scoped a listing for a "Vintage Ral Partha BattleTech Miniature". It's clear to me from the pictures that it's a Battledroids-Era Stinger. It seems clear to me, however, that it's probably a recast: there's deformities in the sculpt (missing its main gun, even) and the base, and there's no manufacturer stamp under the base (though it's scratched out entirely on the bottom, which for a second-hand soft-lead figure isn't surprising).

It's going (currently) for waaaaay under comparable listings I've seen in the past, and things like this don't come up often. Still, the nagging doubt.

Bite, or nah?

Is that the one that's currently under $5.00?

If so, it looks like a recast to me.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Dilemma:

Bite, or nah?

Yeah, that's the one. I don't necessarily have an interest in supporting recasters in this regard, but this just looks like a second-hand dealer listing some random figs that ended up in their collection.

• Options
    So I picked up this motley crew of misfits from my buddy... pretty sure he hit them with a rattle can of whatever and then did some testors over top. So I dunked them in some simple green for a couple days. The results were less than great.
    XuHpJUq.jpg

However I sprayed them down with Uniform Grey and decided to give them a dapper camo scheme! They already had a heavy coat of paint, and spraying them again didnt help the matter. Locust is the test piece so far. Came out alright. Still needs a wash. We'll see how the rest of the dudes come out as motivation to paint them hits. A bad paint job with 8 mechs is better than no mechs!
    A4olulp.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So I picked up this motley crew of misfits from my buddy... pretty sure he hit them with a rattle can of whatever and then did some testors over top. So I dunked them in some simple green for a couple days. The results were less than great.
    XuHpJUq.jpg

However I sprayed them down with Uniform Grey and decided to give them a dapper camo scheme! They already had a heavy coat of paint, and spraying them again didnt help the matter. Locust is the test piece so far. Came out alright. Still needs a wash. We'll see how the rest of the dudes come out as motivation to paint them hits. A bad paint job with 8 mechs is better than no mechs!
    A4olulp.jpg

I kind of like the half-stripped look.
    Looks like a lance that has seen some shit, and made it back more or less intact. Especially on that Catapult up front.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Dilemma:

Bite, or nah?

Yeah, that's the one. I don't necessarily have an interest in supporting recasters in this regard, but this just looks like a second-hand dealer listing some random figs that ended up in their collection.

Yeah looks like this was an unfortunate case of "we bought a lot of minis to resell and there was a recast in there" I'd probably avoid personally but if you do get it, I don't think it'd be a case of supporting recasters. They already got their money from it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Dropped this in the painting thread, too, but ...

So, I think this is the first mini I've ever painted from primer-to-hairspray as an adult. Mostly, before, I'd been painting parts of minis for a friend (who is a much more prolific painter) for an upcoming game, or whatever.
    a4sty9xtu7uc.jpg
    11w00vx3cdjg.jpg
    v3rbglvicarb.jpg
    oja3dkx9wiw1.jpg

Oh, yeah - there's two items in each shot because today was also the first time my youngest painted a mini, too. (We were making up for being too under-the-weather to go see Into the Woods.) He picked the Wolverine to paint and when he was mostly done decided he wanted to add some blood to it. :D

My AWS is, of course, in a scratched up Oosik parade scheme.

Anyway, lessons are:
    1. Thin my paint more and do more layers. But also, I was happy spending a couple hours this afternoon to end up with this.
    2. My brushes are kinda ... terrible, since they kept losing bristles and seemed to always have a single bristle extending ~2mm past the tip; recommendations for good starter brushes?
    3. See if my wife will let me borrow the Reaper paints I bought for her awhile back; I recently bought the US model colors from Vallejo and it's got some holes in it that meant I was doing a lot more mixing than I probably should at this stage (e.g., it doesn't have any greys in it, just black and white).
    4. This was fun! My son had a good time, too, which is probably even better!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    kv6yitpgzc30.png

Had some birthday cash... Fortress rules.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Almost forgot about the Humble Bundle box, so that is now ordered. Hopefully it'll come in for a birthday present next week, but I have a contingency plan in place if it doesn't.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Kickstarter info trickling out.

img_1_1679361371510.jpg

img_1_1679354050420.jpg

• Options
    Cowards! Show me the Boss Man In Charge, $500 tier! All the things! Reveal them to us!

• Options
    Cowards! Show me the Boss Man In Charge, $500 tier! All the things! Reveal them to us!

They're going to call that level the Nips and HydroSqueegee level.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

They're going to call that level the Nips and HydroSqueegee level.

Yes... 500... Only 500 and totally not more.

... By Kerenskys ghost, if the wife only knew just how much the last KS total was...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2023
    I was intrigued by the double size timber wolf statue, but I guess that's still a fair bit smaller than those big timber wolf and marauder resin statues which are what I was really interested in, oh well. Still, cool piece. They should make goddamn battletech model kit as a normal product .

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I’m waiting for the thing to actually launch before I make an actual judgement call, but I’m not too enthused about the pricing just yet. I’m much more of a value conscious kind of person, versus a fun swag/merch kind of guy. Like, I’d rather secure a cheap preorder of the merc box than go this KS route.

We’ll see though. If they have a tier that’s “one of every force pack and map pack and the merc box” I may go that route just to avoid hunting down things piecemeal again.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    IIRC the Clan kickstarter tiers were initially similar but then had substantial additional value added by meeting backer goals

• Options
    I’m waiting for the thing to actually launch before I make an actual judgement call, but I’m not too enthused about the pricing just yet. I’m much more of a value conscious kind of person, versus a fun swag/merch kind of guy. Like, I’d rather secure a cheap preorder of the merc box than go this KS route.

We’ll see though. If they have a tier that’s “one of every force pack and map pack and the merc box” I may go that route just to avoid hunting down things piecemeal again.

Im looking for a good mech to dollar ratio like last time. The extra coins/shirts/dice and whatever don't interest me at all. The prices listed so far don't have my confidence up very high.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Honestly, I'm the same. I really just want one each of the new box and Forcepacks, preferably below MSRP because Kickstarter. All the swag and bonus stuff is either gravy or sale-bait.

And honestly, I'm not surprised if the price per unit is higher this go around. World's on fire and whatnot.

Cost of Eggs vs. 'Mechs? At least the 'Mechs will last me more than a few days.

Nips on
  • Options
    FB_IMG_1679431971942.jpg?width=720&height=552
    FB_IMG_1679427185846.jpg?width=720&height=355

Yyyyyeah, probably not for me. We'll see soon if they have any add-ons or whatever planned but this is very much not my jam.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    If they don't have the main box and Forcepacks as add-ons, as they did with the last KS, I'll eat an Atlas-shaped pancake.

I mean, I might do that anyway. But that's a lot of work, and I'm a culinary hack at best.

Point is, this is just tiers. The Add Ons are going to be where the rubber really hits the road. Plus, unlockable incentives, etc. Wonder if they'll do the pack doubler like they did with the first campaign?

Nips on
  • Options
    If they don't have the main box and Forcepacks as add-ons, as they did with the last KS, I'll eat an Atlas-shaped pancake.

I mean, I might do that anyway. But that's a lot of work, and I'm a culinary hack at best.

Point is, this is just tiers. The Add Ons are going to be where the rubber really hits the road. Plus, unlockable incentives, etc. Wonder if they'll do the pack doubler like they did with the first campaign?

Sounds like an excuse to 3D print a pancake mold!

I'm a little behind on my Battletech lore, so hoping one of you can help me out. What is the big deal about this new Kickstarter regarding rules and mechs?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I'm a little behind on my Battletech lore, so hoping one of you can help me out. What is the big deal about this new Kickstarter regarding rules and mechs?

They're new molds/sculpts of 'mechs.

That's about it really

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    How much would need to be contributed to get the Oosik Irregulars badge as part of the swag?

• Options
    How much would need to be contributed to get the Oosik Irregulars badge as part of the swag?

Too much, they're only doing established units.

But depending on what you're actually wanting, there are options.

• Options
    Also also, remember that last time, for Clan Invasion, we did a sort of swap market thing. So like, depending on what they have, I know I could probably work it so I have a mech I'm willing to trade for just some swag.

• Options

I think the Merc box set is supposed to have the new Battlefield Support rules? Something about simplifying on-board combined arms rules.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I hope they learned some lessons from the last one. Their non-mech pack stretch goal swag/incentives were the cause of most of their problems.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Technically the Oosiks are canon, or at least they were.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Technically the Oosiks are canon, or at least they were.

Unless they decanonize the Second Succession War source book they still are.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.