Options

[Battletech] Please, won't someone think of the STOMPY BOTS!

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    awwww yea. gonna get some fresh meat on the field.
    51Ypvp8.jpg

rnE3Pzz.jpg

8kOUldw.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I don't mean to be "that guy", but the ground clearance on those ATV's is very bad, and would detract from the realism of the universe.
    Because the physics of mecha are grounded in reality, obviously.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    That base and the supports look to be about half the total mass of those prints...

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    That base and the supports look to be about half the total mass of those prints...

For small prints, sometimes it be like that. 🤷‍♂️

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I am blown away at the resolution of those tiny prints.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I don't mean to be "that guy", but the ground clearance on those ATV's is very bad, and would detract from the realism of the universe.
    Because the physics of mecha are grounded in reality, obviously.

Clearly they've just been stepped on a few times

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I am blown away at the resolution of those tiny prints.

DRD does good prints. Every once in a while they'll sell you a heaping box of "failures" for like $10 and it's honestly hard to tell what failed.

I'd rather they used a less brittle resin though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I kinda took a forum hiatus around the start of the year,but I've been posting some lately and figured I'd drop in.

Holy hell that shipping bs fucking sucks. I'm simultaneously very glad I pulled out and very annoyed on behalf of everyone else. Glad folks are getting something, anything from CGL to try to mitigate things.

Although iirc the biggest issues with the last KS, general delays aside, was stuff that didn't come out until after stuff started arriving, so here's hoping that's the worst of it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Catalyst did get back to me to half my shipping cost with a reimbursement credit... So that was nice.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    After regretting not buying it when it was first on the shelves, I managed to find a reprint copy of the Second Succession Wars!
    x3cHeTv.jpg

And I found us! In all our canonized glory!
    bn6nTZp.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Hmm, I forgot about this. Now I feel the need to buy a copy for myself. How do I get one (not knowing a local store that sells such books)?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hmm, I forgot about this. Now I feel the need to buy a copy for myself. How do I get one (not knowing a local store that sells such books)?

If a PDF will work for you:
    https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-second-succession-war-pdf

Looks like DriveThru says they've got soft cover versions available:
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/216757/BattleTech-Second-Succession-War?filters=300_2150_0_0_0_0&action=buy_now

Beyond that, hope you get lucky at a used book store in your area? I didn't see them on Amazon or eBay (but, I didn't look too hard).

• Options
    edited May 14
    I checked Amazon, but didn't see it there. Thanks for finding it on DTRPG. I already have the PDF according to DTRPG, but I wouldn't mind having a physical copy. Honestly I probably bought a few PDF copies by now with all the bundles and add-ons over the years.

Edit: Dangit, I don't have a CC on file with them. I'll have to find my card tomorrow to buy it.

Edit #2: Ordered from DriveThru. Thanks!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    More mechs!
    ny306w8zd0lb.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 21
    So I ordered that Second Succession War book from DriveThru and didn't realize it was a "print" service? My order says "sent to printer".

This will be interesting and I'll let everyone know what I get when they ship it

Edit: Reading more about it, that is all DTRPG only does print on demand. Was wondering how they managed to still have print copies available.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So I ordered that Second Succession War book from DriveThru and didn't realize it was a "print" service? My order says "sent to printer".

This will be interesting and I'll let everyone know what I get when they ship it

Edit: Reading more about it, that is all DTRPG only does print on demand. Was wondering how they managed to still have print copies available.

Yeah, pretty much anything older than "Something Currently Printed" that CGL posts up outside their own site is Print on Demand. Honestly, it's about the only way to reasonably get most of the older books, or the books that were printed in the lean years.

I'm super curious to see the quality of what you get.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited May 21
    Nips wrote: »

Yeah, pretty much anything older than "Something Currently Printed" that CGL posts up outside their own site is Print on Demand. Honestly, it's about the only way to reasonably get most of the older books, or the books that were printed in the lean years.

I'm super curious to see the quality of what you get.

I wish I had an original that I could compare it to. But I'll take lots of photos and try to answer questions.

Edit: I honestly thought that they might had a stack of leftover products that they were selling off. Good to know that companies do this sort of thing.

Double Edit: Holy crap. I went looking at eBay to see if any originals were for sale. Someone is selling the print on demands for $77!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The little dudes paint up nicely with some speed paint. Not sure if im going to bother getting more detailed than this. Considered painting the guns but ehhhh.... they tiny!
    JKtJUME.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    They look like little mantis warriors. The coloration, and the shape of the head.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I asked about a shipping subsidy, but apparently was late on the draw. They've offered me a store credit instead, but haven't said how much. $63 US shipping (and a minor tax bump) on a $158 order doesn't exactly feel good, but like Morgan I'm in the US regularly enough that I can just order through the shop that way, assuming it's enough to worry about.

When the dust settles I really want to do a post-mortem and contrast what it cost to get the items included versus just ordering them from a local store. As I'm bemoaned a few times, I can understand 'not wanting to undercut LGS's' as they cited during the campaign, but straight paying more than retail is going to sting.

Sure, some of the extra swag will offset that a bit, but that extra swag is presumably part of why the shipping is so high (increased size and weight of the package, plus the cost of making the thing which is included in what we paid).

Given how much they got for the last couple of campaigns, I'd be shocked if they don't go back to the platform. I believe they said that they won't 'need' to fund future funs via crowdfunding at this point, but I'd be surprised if they essentially left money on the table. Getting that big a loan (minus taxes and KS/Backerkit's fee haircuts) interest free is a pretty great deal, not to mention the marketing (some of which they pay for, but presumably a lot of which is done for free by members spreading the word).

If so, I could see going in on a small tier and adding on very specific items (like the challenge coins that I'm a sucker for), not just hunting 'the best deal', because that can clearly carry some serious asterisks.

I've spent quite a lot on Kickstarters over the years. I've backed Shadows of Brimstone at a mapmaker level 4 times in a row. I wasn't expecting to spend $220+ US on force packs for a game I'm not even currently playing.

Though on that note, having finally gotten around to another priming session, I primed up the Archer that I missed last time, so my reinforced Battalion (44'ish mechs I think?) are finally ready for painting, though I'm prioritizing said Shadows of Brimstone collection first.

To start I intend to paint up a Gray Death Legion company to start, likely a 3025 or 3028 era list from the early novels, and go from there. Hopefully with Citadel contrast paints getting (a) base colour(s) down will be a snap and then I can pick out cockpits and weapons.

The work shown off here looks good, so if/when I do get a chance to play, it'd be fun to do so with painted mechs.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I'm even sillier than that. I've backed both KS, bought lots of mechs, and have not even painted or played with any of them. I only have two mechs painted thanks to @Nips . Hopefully one day I'll stop buying stuff and paint and play. Good thing they are moving past the point in time when I used to play long ago so I don't have any desire to buy more.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    iirc they said they wont need to use Kickstarter for new minis but they would still have smaller scope funding campaigns.

• Options
    Got my favoritest mech painted up!
    leaefbwkk7c6.jpg
    I have a full IS lance pretty much ready to go now. I should read how those rules work.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    With a Catapult it’s pretty easy!
    Step 1: find hill
    Step 2: jump onto hill
    Step 3: depress and hold triggers for remainder of game

Just watch out for karate Spiders.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5U9PnJHm5U

10:33
    The Mercenaries Kickstarter should be going out for delivery in about a week.

Gotta really work on the pile of shame.

• Options
    *looks at the 12 cubic-foot crate filled with Forcepacks*
    *looks at the Plano box filled with unassembled metal figures*
    *sighs*

Yeaaaaah.......

• Options
    The panic sets in as I need to find out how to explain the very large package that will turn up one day very very soon.... :s

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    The panic sets in as I need to find out how to explain the very large package that will turn up one day very very soon.... :s

"There's a sale at Penny's!"

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, my plan to die alone and unloved but surrounded by tiny robots continues apace with no need to explain myself to anyone.

• Options
    Hades wrote: »
    The Mercenaries Kickstarter should be going out for delivery in about a week.

Hrm.

The statement made is that aside from a few small 'choochkie' items that are being air shipped, that items have been delivered to distribution hubs *WORLDWIDE*.

As someone who has been left waiting for months after US delivery began, and who has friends (HI MORGAN) that were left waiting months and even quarters after that on other projects, my deep well of cynicism has me doubtful until actual worldwide backers start speaking up in unison.

Even my cold shriveled heart wants to believe, but hope is a path to being hurt again, and I'm kinda tired of hearing "delivery has begun!" while missing pertinent caveats that "delivery has begun... in America. America's Hat, Europe, Australia, and other parts of the Rest of the World might get their stuff some day maybe whatever".

• Options
    So what are the betting odds of another dice or drop ship fiasco? Think we're safe this time?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    hopefully the shipping costs will be the only problem

• Options
    Starting on some clanners
    zk1bqbah8i8w.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 9
    So every now and again, Big Red puts out challenges to his viewers during his streams to cover topics he doesn't want to in return for non-gifted subs and as a result winds up getting stuck with a meme project. I've already shared with people one of these (shirtless alaric) and how this led to the image inspiring Mr. Stackpole himself to debase himself and the setting he's spent some 4 decades helping to shape by writing a harlequin romance novel short story called "hungry like the wolf."

As of today Red has released unto the world another shining example of what happens when he posts one of these challenges and winds up pushing out... quads.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iECh9KZ8VcY&ab_channel=BigRed-40TECH

The best part of this, is that Red is fair and honest with this; a lot of the quads aren't particularly good owing to their limited firing arcs and vulnerability to being legged but there are still some diamonds in the ruff like the Tarantula and Goliath which he is quick to point out the advantages of.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    So, got my printed copy of the Second Succession War last week and finally had some time to take photos of it to share with the thread. It is a paperback (no surprise here) and is printed on pretty good paper to boot. I should have dug out my books to compare with it, but didn't think of doing that till now. Let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll answer them as best I can.

Here are some photos to share:

3hf3infadkw4.jpg

8bbhbl476778.jpg

Of course I had to take a photo of our existence.

cduveokq5suf.jpg

0yzowi2lb1sk.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    How's the binding?

How's the cover?

How cool you can still get a physical copy!

• Options
    edited June 11
    The binding seems to be pretty solid and the cover is just a heavier paper cover. I'll try to take some photos of the binding glue for you.

Edit: The cover is glossy on the outside and seems to be very similar to a graphic novel (comicbook).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I charged a Banshee 3S off the board with my Pirahna today.

BEST VALUE

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I charged a Banshee 3S off the board with my Pirahna today.

BEST VALUE

Banshee Pilot: "So then, like, these three Atlases come at me and I'm like 'Three versus one? I can wait til your buddies come!'.

Bar Fly: "No way dude!"

Banshee Pilot: "Yeah way dude! So like I cored two of them and almost had the third, but then my Mech over heated and I had to eject! Fusion reactor took out the third though!"

Bar Fly: "Oh man! Badass! At least you didn't go out like a punk!"

Banshee Pilot: "Heh... Yeah.. heh."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Breckin Meyer has always been my favourite Robot Chicken regular, A+ adaptation.