Options

[Battletech] Please, won't someone think of the STOMPY BOTS!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    The gameplay memories that always come up with my high school guys when we play:

I skidded a full-speed Locust across its face and clear off a map from halfway into a city in one game. I don't remember the exact number, but it was like a 10+ hex skid. 🤦‍♂️

In a campaign game, one of our buddies in a torso-bomb 3025 ride (a Thunderbolt IIRC) fell after a very easy skid check. Landed on its back center torso, punched through internal from the fall damage, and self-crit the full ammo bin obliterating the 'Mech with the fall. 🤦‍♂️

It's the hijinks that Classic generates sometimes that make this game the best.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    How's the binding?

How's the cover?

How cool you can still get a physical copy!

Crap, I completely forgot about taking photos for you, but I went to pull it out of the box (I put all my BT stuff into the Clan Invasion box) and the thickness of the cover is the same as the rulebooks that came with the CI set (and GoAC books). Let me know if you really want photos of the binding and I'll pull it out and take some photos for you.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    The gameplay memories that always come up with my high school guys when we play:

I skidded a full-speed Locust across its face and clear off a map from halfway into a city in one game. I don't remember the exact number, but it was like a 10+ hex skid. 🤦‍♂️

In a campaign game, one of our buddies in a torso-bomb 3025 ride (a Thunderbolt IIRC) fell after a very easy skid check. Landed on its back center torso, punched through internal from the fall damage, and self-crit the full ammo bin obliterating the 'Mech with the fall. 🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure I mentioned it in thread, but my friend running a 3025 PHawk, falling twice on his head (6A/3I), for (45t/10, round up) trying to exit a water hex he jumped into the previous turn, having taken no enemy fire, remains my favorite Battletech TTG memory, and probably a contender for my favorite all time.

Watching a low level enemy Space Marine character fumble a Vortex Grenade at his feet was the shot. The chaser was the next turn, my squad of vanilla marines shooting the nearby enemy Commander in Terminator Armor with a Displacer Field get bamfed into the vortex is the only real challenger.

EDIT - Initially had 45t/2, which is wrong. Falling damage is 10% of weight, rounded up.

MorganV on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    Sweet, new update from Catalyst reminded me to check my account, and sure enough they refunded my credit card (A bit more than they promised, well alright!).

Also finished a couple more mechs… Someone got me an inner sphere box for my birthday. Yes plz more robots!
    0q80drvj0ikr.jpegxjvj04kb3vs7.jpeg
    b9o8nk7x7xgr.jpeg
    nyuyq6jx4dr5.jpeg

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    I haven't seen a refund yet, but will wait till later.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    They charged me for shipping. So maybe it’ll arrive before Gencon? Maybe? Thought it’ll just get added to the priming backlog, realistically.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Well that's annoying. Thought I added the Alpha Strike rulebook to one of my kickstarter orders and nope, it isn't. And the Catalyst site is sold out.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 23
    fortress miniatures has the book for $30 right now

nevermind, its out of stock now.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Well that's annoying. Thought I added the Alpha Strike rulebook to one of my kickstarter orders and nope, it isn't. And the Catalyst site is sold out.

I may have a spare. In that I have one, and I think I got the bundle with the box (so I'll have a second), but I'll check when I get home. Figure it's 50/50.

Are you perchance going to GenCon? If I have one, that'd be the easiest and cheapest, else we can sort something out.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 24
    I've been getting super into tabletop BT the last 6 months. I finally ended up with a paint job I'm happy with on the Hatchetman on the left; I need to get into the advanced rules and give him a bunch of cool shit to go with his paint job. Tempted to strip the Vindicator on the right and start over, but I've got so much more to paint still.

pso3v32yey7a.jpg

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Played a few BT games after a while away. Did some relearning 5k BV games with inner sphere before playing a 10k bv game tonight so my friend can play his clanners. A full star of Ghost Bear mechs (Thor, kodiak, fire moth, adder, shadow hawk) against the brave 1st Davion Armoured Cavalry (Nightstar, black Knight, highlander, bushwacker, 2 Rommell tanks and two bases of LRM infantry).

We played a mission from Goonhammers pack, where there were two objectives each controlled by the player with the most tonnage within 3 hexes. One point per objective, per turn, highest over 15 turns.

We called it turn 4 in the spheres favour, a full clanner rout.

I deployed the tanks, the infantry and the bushwhacker on the right hand side. For the scenario infantry counted as 50 tons so I had a cool 295 to my opponents kodiak and fire moth. This let me push all my firepower on the left, three IS powerhouses against three clanners.

His thor got into a jump jet war with my highlander whilst the nightstar and black Knight held against the lighter clan mech. Then turn 4 came.

His kodiak closed to point blank, having knocked out the mobility on a rommell but not killing it. Its salvo landed the killing blow but not before the tank put an AC20 round through the cockpit.

The thor decided that the damaged armour of the nightstar was a tempting target and abandoned his duel with the highlander to get rear shots on the assault mech. This blatant dishonorable act came back to bite him. His shots went wide thanks to a combo of jumping and the NS being half in a river, and the highlander, now free to stand and aim, proved why he was the mechwarrior trusted with a gauss rile and put a shot through the cockpit, killing the coward.

To add insult to injury the shadow hawk fell over directly infront of the nightstar from the assaults shooting and a swift kick later relived the mech of a leg, hampering its odds of standing directly in front of both the NS and Black Knight. This left just a fire moth, and an adder who had fired all of its ATS missiles and had only micro pulses left to rely on.

The Davion boys proved thier worth today.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://x.com/DaMoonRulz/status/1806424442391675243

dumb battletech joke. worth your time to click? who can say.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    https://x.com/DaMoonRulz/status/1806424442391675243

dumb battletech joke. worth your time to click? who can say.

You won my undieing loyalty with the Dropshipping tweet.

You can do no wrong.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    One of my local Targets has the Essentials kit for 50% off.
    If you need another Centurion and Rifleman mini, along with the other assorted goodies, $12.50 ain't a bad price to pay for it.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Some products being region locked is a real bummer. I'd love to pick up an essentials kit and gray death lance, but they're just not available in Aus.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    so the good news is battletech is coming to my FLGS and i can get a sweet patch!
    BQejz1f.jpg

the bad news is ill be out of town! boooooooooooooo

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Just got the email that my Mercs KS just shipped (or printed the label).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I just got my “confirm your address so we can ship” email

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    They've also been rolling out some of the digital rewards on Backerkit.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So my favourite BT youtuber dropped a video today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrG2VjUUC0&ab_channel=BigRed-40TECH
    There are apparently some incredibly salty people who don't appreciate hearing how Land Air Mech's are bad for the setting and for the game.

• Options
    My love of both Robotech and Battletech is at odds with recognition that LAMs are bad.

But I don't actually play the game so I should probably just watch the video and accept that folks with a million times more experience (outside of video games, and I don't think MechCommander or MechWarrior had LAMs) probably have a better understanding of the nuances.

Though funnily enough the only time I remember them showing up in the novels I read was in Far Country. To the best of my recollection 2 decades later, it goes very, very badly for said LAM.

• Options
    The issue with LAMs as he outlines in the video from a gameplay perspective is that a single LAM is insanely mobile; Like for reference a Spider has an 8/12/8 move profile which means it can jump a staggering 8 squares... but this also means that if it tries to fire any of it's weapons it will overheat. By comparison, a mech like say... the Phoenix hawk LAM has an air-mech mode (IE "guardian" mode from robotech) that cruises at like... 15 and generates 5 heat while also enjoying a much, much bigger to hit modifier (to the point where it becomes functionally impossible to hit the thing).

As a result you wind up with a situation where you have a brutally onesided engagement that simply isn't fun.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Basically they're so op they make real mechs not make much sense. Which is bad in a game that people play for stompy mechs. They don't fit the games balance and probably should just go away.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Pretty sure I mentioned it in thread, but my friend running a 3025 PHawk, falling twice on his head (6A/3I), for (45t/10, round up) trying to exit a water hex he jumped into the previous turn, having taken no enemy fire, remains my favorite Battletech TTG memory, and probably a contender for my favorite all time.

Watching a low level enemy Space Marine character fumble a Vortex Grenade at his feet was the shot. The chaser was the next turn, my squad of vanilla marines shooting the nearby enemy Commander in Terminator Armor with a Displacer Field get bamfed into the vortex is the only real challenger.

EDIT - Initially had 45t/2, which is wrong. Falling damage is 10% of weight, rounded up.

I once saw a blunderbuss gretchin manage to take out a terminator armor wearing space marine because every save roll failed. The orc player was the big brother, the space marine player was the little brother. The little brother made a mad little brother face while the big brother gloated.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I don’t know if LAMs should go away, but I definitely think that the community at large probably couldn’t handle the balance issues.

Battletech is built as a sort of self-correcting mechanism for balance. Too much armor on the field? Lower the BV. Tired of free headcaps? Go Succession Wars. That Guy wants to build a 7/11/7 mech with three clan LPLAS and a TC? Stock only. I have to really push for some of these corrective measures sometimes, though; people love their pet mechs and guns.

I want to explore more of the BT advanced rule set but I get the feeling if someone starts fielding LAM lances I would probably want to start negotiating another point of restriction.

• Options
    LAMs are one of those things that have been in the game since the beginning so I think a lot of the grognards will always fight to defend it even if they’ve never seen anyone abuse them/ used one themselves.

Personally never encountered somebody using one myself, but I think that anybody who does is probably opening themselves up to a dairy case full of retributive cheese.

• Options
    Side note: that cookbook from the Kickstarter is absolutely fascinating and even the other half wants to try out some of the recipes. May get it printed out so we can flip through it easier.

• Options
    Also while you can in theory kit yourself out to counter LAMS, you basically need to dedicate yourself to doing so and this means some combination of the following:
    1. Fielding a bunch of really specialized units that won't perform well against conventional targets (IE a Bane spamming LBX2 cluster munitions)
    2. Fielding Aerospace (which exacerbates the problems)
    3. Playing to specifically manouver and counter the LAM (In which case I hope to Christ there aren't actual objectives for your sake).

It simply isn't fun to play against.

• Options
    Wait, when did this happen?

Back when I started playing, LAMs were just terrible. I mean proper bad. Stinks like 3025 Jager/Charger bad.

They're good now?

• Options
    edited July 5
    If I were to guess, it's either:
    1) People playing with the alt variant Phoenix Hawk LAMs, which have some interesting builds.
    2) People playing with the Wobbie LAMs, which leveraged advanced IS and stolen Clan gear to make up for the LAM deficiencies.
    3) Custom builds.
    4) People surprising opponents with LAMs in their ToE.

To which I say, Go with God ye who chose 1 or 2, for those are interesting decisions. (Has anyone actually seen a Wobbie LAM model in real life?*) Your opponents should be made properly aware that you're doing this, though.

And for those that choose 3 or 4, Ye Shall Go Get Turbofucked.

*I've long debated adding the set to my Wobbie allotment in my collection but the price to get one of everything, of all the modes, is kinda collar-pulling expensive. I also like the look of the MK 1 IS LAMs, but then again, ka-ching ka-ching.

Oh, and there's now the God King of LAMs, the UrbanMech LAM. But that's like bringing Godzilla to a ping-pong match, right?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Has anyone got their KS haul yet?
    Mine seems to be on track for tomorrow, however they probably won’t expect my street to be entirely under construction and full of hazardous obstacles. Godspeed brave delivery peeps!

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    No shipping notification yet for me, but I have seen pictures on discord of people opening their haul

• Options
    Mine is out for delivery today!!! Now I have to figure out what to tell my wife.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Mine is out for delivery today!!! Now I have to figure out what to tell my wife.

"You can't make me sleep on the couch, that's where my box of tiny robots is"?

• Options
    The supply ship has landed!

Checked and all my swag is here. I don't think I have any vehicles I shouldn't have (unless the mix up is inside the salvage box itself).

kzr3pblyo1fg.jpg
    My wife just said, "That is one big pile of shit." when I pulled everything out for the photo.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
  • Options

Checked and all my swag is here. I don't think I have any vehicles I shouldn't have (unless the mix up is inside the salvage box itself).

kzr3pblyo1fg.jpg
    My wife just said, "That is one big pile of shit." when I pulled everything out for the photo.

Boy howdy, if she thinks that's a pile, you need to show her some of the pics the rest of us will inevitably post.

• Options
    edited July 10

kzr3pblyo1fg.jpg

Boy howdy, if she thinks that's a pile, you need to show her some of the pics the rest of us will inevitably post.

She was teasing me since I buy a lot of stuff. Plus I didn't tell her about this purchase.

Edit: I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with the liquid core dice. I foolishly thought that it was liquid inside of the entire die, but it is just in a sphere inside and the sphere is two halves so you can see a seam inside.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Mine will be a much more modest pile, at least until Morgan and I can swap items around once his arrives, but that'll likely be next GenCon. I'd figured that would be the case, based on usual KS experiences, but it's a little funny/frustrating to have one actually kind of deliver on time'ish for a change, especially one this big.

At a glance, some Canadian packages have apparently shipped, but there's ~1,700 backers for the Frozen Wastes To The North as it is, so while it'd be nice to have it arrive soon, I'm not holding my breath.

I really hope it doesn't land while I'm at GenCon. If it ends up in the building's package lockers it's not a big deal, but I'm hoping not to have to ask my fiancee to keep an eagle eye out for a box for me that may or may not be just laying around somewhere on the first floor, as can sometimes be the case.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Got Alpha Strike to the table a few nights ago. Well, mostly; we ran it in hex because a 4 by 6 playfield is BIG. Our table is utterly absurd and still not wide enough. Seems interesting enough if slightly over simplified. Now I want something in between instead. :P

Liked the TMM concept a lot though, much easier to handle than base BT's movement modifiers and accounts for "even if that Firemoth moved one hex it was probably jinking like whoa the entire time.."