As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to dorm party thingy? What to put in the registry?

2»

• Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not sure what dorm-life is like wherever the people making these suggestions come from, but having gone through the process a couple of years ago, I'm finding the thread quite hilarious. But I don't know the exact circumstances; if you've checked the place out, already moved in, or are moving in later.

If you're eating something better than bread, dipped in anything runnier than bread, you're doing well as a student. You will likely not have time or lose the will to grill your own sea bass, hollow your potatoes and bake your tortoise shells in the aforementioned kitchen devices. Best to keep good cooking as simple as possible.

Agreed. Thanatos' suggestion of a rice cooker is where it's at. I had a hot water boiler and a microwave my first year in the dorm but that instantly got nixed when I got the rice cooker. You're looking at ramen noodles and *maybe* EZ mac with a water dispenser and microwave food is too expensive (plus 99 cent banquet meals all taste the same). You can do a lot with rice on the quick and on the cheap and if you're even mildly diligent be able to keep the damn thing clean. Just buy a really big bag or two plus lots of sides to go with it(these come in convenient cans) and you're good to go for a long time. Plus your rice probably won't get stolen.

Other minimums for me include egg crate mattress (you can throw this out at the end of the year), flip flops, thumbtacks, lots of cheap pens and pencils, stapler, alarm clock, bagless dust buster, a small lamp, disposable utensils (don't tell people you have these or they will nag you incessantly for them) and a corkboard with some thumbtacks. All this plus the rice cooker and a year's worth of food for it and you're looking at like...$125-150 if you're shopping around. Hope this helps!

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not sure what dorm-life is like wherever the people making these suggestions come from, but having gone through the process a couple of years ago, I'm finding the thread quite hilarious. But I don't know the exact circumstances; if you've checked the place out, already moved in, or are moving in later.

If you're eating something better than bread, dipped in anything runnier than bread, you're doing well as a student. You will likely not have time or lose the will to grill your own sea bass, hollow your potatoes and bake your tortoise shells in the aforementioned kitchen devices. Best to keep good cooking as simple as possible.

Somehow I doubt a lot of people posting here are doing so without any dorm experience at all. I lived in a variety of dorms for 2.5 years and I got plenty of cooking done so that I could be a bit healthier than the people living on Ramen while being more economical than those who ordered out every night. No one's suggesting that he get chafing dishes or crepe pans, but the fact that he's got a kitchen should be taken advantage of and it's not that difficult or time-consuming to do so.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

microwave, electric kettle and a foreman grill. yeah we are pretty much setting him up to be a french pastry chef I'd say.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I could make rice and chicken putting in much less time than it took me to walk to the dining hall. You can grill chicken on a Foreman grill in, like, 5 minutes, and while it takes awhile to make the rice, you can just dump it in and let it sit there while you do whatever else. Cleanup is ridiculously easy.

This is all also much, much cheaper than most college dining halls.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kitchen space is a premium, if everyone turned up with this stuff you'd have a pretty fucking packed kitchen. Just talk to roommates and go halves/whatever on stuff like that once you know what you need.

People have covered the absolute essentials, like decent bedding and convenient tools. Heating or a fan is good too.

It's probably quite a different experience over there though, to be fair. My own first year was like, a Building, divided into flats, which had 4-5 rooms in them, with their own kitchen. Had we all bought 'foreman grills', microwaves, etc, we'd of been a bit fucked.

Just wanted to emphasise; don't go over-equipped.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ddahcmai wrote: »
    A vacuum is a very nice thing to have

OMG yes, having that handheld DustDevil is like being a saint.

um
    silverware, dishtowels, plastic cups (rather than glasses, they're lighter to pack too)

also, check with your RA about having eggcrates, my dorms don't allow them because they're "a fire hazard"

wastepaper basket.

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    good point about all the appliances and stuff. I think I'll stick with a rice cooker and blender for now.

Virum on
  • Options
    OdiniousOdinious regular
    edited June 2007
    Where are you going to school, if you don't mind me asking?

Odinious on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    99% sure that I'm going to Cal State University Northridge (meh).

I got accepted to Chapman University too, but I don't want to have to pay off that much debt after I graduate.

Fuckin wish I hadn't missed the UC deadlines for application, but I was planning on transferring next year back then.

Virum on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hot air popcorn popper.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stuff that helps you keep the place clean is a must since chances are none of your dorm-mates will bring any. Along the lines of having to prepare for sharing living space with clueless male slobs, I'll reiterate the suggestion of flip-flops. You have no idea what kind of junk is living on the feet of other guys sharing your shower and do not want to go around barefoot on the floor once you get out of the water.

A bathrobe may be nice to change into after a shower at night if your shower is pretty close by, no idea if your college uses communal ones for a floor or x rooms share a bathroom between them.

If you stay up later than most people, headphones would be a good idea to have even if not as a gift from your family friends. Being able to listen to music, watch shows, or play games when people nearby are sleeping is good.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    OdiniousOdinious regular
    edited June 2007
    Cal State Northridge, eh? I was just there for the bridge competition they have on the front page there. I bought a CSUN baseball shirt as a souvenir, which will prompt some odd looks out here in Ohio. It wasn't too bad a place to go to school, I thought, considering most of the school was renovated due to an earthquake about a decade ago.

Well, anyhow, I checked some stuff out.

photo08.jpg

I found this picture in the slideshow for the residence halls. If this is what every room with a kitchen looks like, I would just get a microwave, and forget everything else when it comes to cooking. Maybe ask for a nice teflon pot and pan set, but nothing big. I just don't see the point of cooking there if you are going to have a meal plan available to you. If you were of the culinary variety, I could see you buying some permanent stuff than the disposable silverware and paper plates that I would suggest, but I just don't get having all that stuff to cook specific things. Just remember, you will always accumulate more stuff than you went there with. Make sure you check with your roommate to avoid doubling up on big items.

Odinious on
  • Options
    BulimicGoatBulimicGoat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ask for some gladware. Microwavable, cheap, and durable. They come in nifty variety packs and work for storing anything from random change, leftovers, electronics accessories, to stolen cafeteria food.

And a fan is a must. No matter what college you go to, it always seems to get ridiculously hot in the dorm rooms.

BulimicGoat on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ask for some gladware. Microwavable, cheap, and durable. They come in nifty variety packs and work for storing anything from random change, leftovers, electronics accessories, to stolen cafeteria food.

And a fan is a must. No matter what college you go to, it always seems to get ridiculously hot in the dorm rooms.

Angrily Hot.

Also, do you have a desk chair? Not a must, but it's nice. Additionally, people have already mentioned those rubbermaid (R) style drawers, but think about getting shelves as well. I had "a" shelf in my room and I just needed more storage space and flat surfaces on which to stack irregular things.

Reading Lamp? Oh, and those tube lights. Seriously, dorm lighting is hideous.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My parents are getting divorced, so I'll just take the chair I was gonna leave at home. Good idea though. I think I might be able to nab a fan as well.

Virum on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you can find one, the small (i think 10"? 12"? around that big) Honeywell fans are fantastic - surprisingly powerful.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ask for a good set of knives if you ever plan on cooking seriously. Personally I'd suggest Henckels... if they're in the price range of the people who are buying stuff for you.

This knife is absolute heaven to use. I got it at my wedding and.... oh man... it cuts stuff by itself.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't get good knives.

Good knives need to be kept sharp to be in tip top shape.

Your knives will be stolen by some dickhead used and not resharpened.

By the end of college you will be left with alot a spent money and something not much sharper than a stick.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah buy cheap kitchen stuff, it WILL get ruined.

Get a whiteboard for leaving notes to roomies, making chore lists, etc...

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Yeah buy cheap kitchen stuff, it WILL get ruined.

Get a whiteboard for leaving notes to roomies, making chore lists, etc...

If you plan on having the whiteboard outside your door (for notes or whatever (though you'll probably just get a lot of penis drawings)) make sure to get extra markers. People have a way of turning into neanderthals and destroying/stealing them.

Uncle Long on