As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't live with [Jobs], Can't live without [Jobs]

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Company paid poutine and all you can eat lobsters?

You’d have to use a wheelbarrow to cart me away

Is poutine with lobster a thing, or would that be heresy?

Alternatively, should it be a thing?

Anything with poutine is accepted and encouraged. The menu for my favorite poutine place in the city has stuff like PB&J poutine and Taco poutine along with the regular fare. http://www.la-poutine.com/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    My favorite part of today's customer madness was a salesperson having the nerve to suggest that if the engineers in X department were objecting to doing something for liability reasons, then maybe those engineers didn't understand the technology, followed by a link explaining SAML.

I'm like. Gurl.

This was after a call with this group where it was clear they didn't understand how clustering works in our software's architecture, an incredibly basic topic that even the lowliest support drone understands.

And the cherry on top was that she said this to the lead manager for that entire department, who is also an engineer.

God I hope my currently open support ticket regarding our heavy forwarder cluster falls on someone who understands that topic...

No worries, you won't be getting any sales engineer on your support ticket.

Also I would really like to rant more about the whiniest customer, but unfortunately anything more I say will be telling on myself (and another company's executive) too much, so from on on its for my husband's ears only.

The last thing I'll say is that the whole reason you pay an identity vendor to begin with is so that you don't have to go around manually changing a bunch of users, you absolute muppet.

Speaking of talking shit about a sales engineer. I might be becoming one? Maybe?
    It's actually post sales, and helping customers with integration and what not, that are sort of outside the scope of a case. 3rd round of interview is tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

That is awesome! I have nothing against sales engineers, if they are used right by the salespeople to deliver actually attainable products. Post sales means you will likely be helping with implementations.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of today's customer madness was a salesperson having the nerve to suggest that if the engineers in X department were objecting to doing something for liability reasons, then maybe those engineers didn't understand the technology, followed by a link explaining SAML.

I'm like. Gurl.

This was after a call with this group where it was clear they didn't understand how clustering works in our software's architecture, an incredibly basic topic that even the lowliest support drone understands.

And the cherry on top was that she said this to the lead manager for that entire department, who is also an engineer.

God I hope my currently open support ticket regarding our heavy forwarder cluster falls on someone who understands that topic...

Also I would really like to rant more about the whiniest customer, but unfortunately anything more I say will be telling on myself (and another company's executive) too much, so from on on its for my husband's ears only.

The last thing I'll say is that the whole reason you pay an identity vendor to begin with is so that you don't have to go around manually changing a bunch of users, you absolute muppet.

Speaking of talking shit about a sales engineer. I might be becoming one? Maybe?
    It's actually post sales, and helping customers with integration and what not, that are sort of outside the scope of a case. 3rd round of interview is tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Let me say for the record that a lot of sales engineers are gems, and have pulled my ass from the fire on difficult cases before. Good luck on that interview!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hate my brain. Apparently all it takes is a few days of not interacting with someone for my anger and frustration to disappear. Like.. I'd be perfectly content in my current job if I could do things like I did yesterday. But now there's this looming specter, this knowledge that at any time in the future I can just be told "no" and not given a good reason why. I mean.. I know management always can do that, but to be told "your ideas are good, but no" just rubs me the wrong way.

I still feel nervous about what I'm proposing. The idea of switching to another team here at the university is scary, especially since in theory I custom made my current job responsibilities, and would love them if I could do them. I also feel like I'm taking the "Easy" route by not actually going out to another company and applying. But at the same time, there aren't exactly a ton of IT opportunities where I am, the overall industry is being used to strike fear in the hearts of workers, and I really do need the flexibility the vacation time and overall schedule gives me.

I want to do the right thing for both me and the university. But I also want to be happy and know my work is meaningful.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

I'm like. Gurl.

Let me say for the record that a lot of sales engineers are gems, and have pulled my ass from the fire on difficult cases before. Good luck on that interview!

Thanks. I like the idea of being post sales, since it'll be focused on getting the stuff the customer has to work.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Not quite a job thing, but sorta?

The guy who was the majority owner of the company I used to work for (who also owned an e-sports betting company, and various crypto scams) posted on Facebook today about how we need to focus harder on AI, because AI is the only surefire way to prevent more school shootings before they happen.

The only way.

I kind of want to stab him in his stupid eyeballs.

I feel like there are a ton of missing steps between developing AI and stopping school shootings that I do not see. But also not somebody I'd want to talk to in order to find out what those steps are.

Magell on
  • Options
    By the by, we found the issue with that heavy forwarder breaking. Funny story.

Last week, another admin put in an IP allowlist entry to allow API access, following the directions we were given.
    Only.. that was our first IP allowlist entry.. meaning it enabled the "block everything not on the allowlist" option.
    As soon as we put in the proper IP addresses for our heavy forwarders, everything worked again.

We identified the problem because things that had been working for a year suddenly stopped working after a restart, with no reconfiguration on our part.
    I apparently have the patience of a saint, though, because we escalated things to our account rep and tried to get support to work on it faster, and it involved one of the worst conference call tech glitch fests I've ever been part of. And yet I was able to make out what they were saying and keep things moving - until our account tech resource pointed out the allowlist issue.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023

Last week, another admin put in an IP allowlist entry to allow API access, following the directions we were given.
    Only.. that was our first IP allowlist entry.. meaning it enabled the "block everything not on the allowlist" option.
    As soon as we put in the proper IP addresses for our heavy forwarders, everything worked again.

We identified the problem because things that had been working for a year suddenly stopped working after a restart, with no reconfiguration on our part.
    I apparently have the patience of a saint, though, because we escalated things to our account rep and tried to get support to work on it faster, and it involved one of the worst conference call tech glitch fests I've ever been part of. And yet I was able to make out what they were saying and keep things moving - until our account tech resource pointed out the allowlist issue.

Damn, I feel bad this didn't get fixed within a day. Once I see the connection denial errors, the Allowlist is the very next thing I check.

Edit: though maybe I'm misunderstanding you, I'm assuming Splunk-side Allowlist.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

The guy who was the majority owner of the company I used to work for (who also owned an e-sports betting company, and various crypto scams) posted on Facebook today about how we need to focus harder on AI, because AI is the only surefire way to prevent more school shootings before they happen.

The only way.

I feel like there are a ton of missing steps between developing AI and stopping school shootings that I do not see. But also not somebody I'd want to talk to in order to find out what those steps are.

Oh, this big brain guy here wants to have a kinder gentler minority report, I guess? The Phillip K Dick story that was an early 2000s Tom Cruise movie?

Or that totally terrifying AI preemptively murdering the possible murderer thing from Winter Soldier? Same idea really I guess

Both terrifying, of course

• Options

Damn, I feel bad this didn't get fixed within a day. Once I see the connection denial errors, the Allowlist is the very next thing I check.

Edit: though maybe I'm misunderstanding you, I'm assuming Splunk-side Allowlist.

100%.

The ticket got delayed by my mental health day, and the tech wanting me to send full diagnostics as opposed to the splunkd logs I attached.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

The only way.

Oh, this big brain guy here wants to have a kinder gentler minority report, I guess? The Phillip K Dick story that was an early 2000s Tom Cruise movie?

Or that totally terrifying AI preemptively murdering the possible murderer thing from Winter Soldier? Same idea really I guess

This individual sounds like someone who spends a lot of time listening to Joe Rogan podcasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZWwqggSdQ

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023

The only way.

Yeah, that’s exactly what he explained when questioned about it. In his mind, AI will be able to monitor all communications, cross reference with school disciplinary reports, and info it can access from medical records and therapist reports (because HIPAA doesn’t apply to AI, man), and use that to preemptively pinpoint and and “deal with” anyone who it determines to be an “imminent threat” of perpetrating a mass shooting.

And to be clear, he’s not just some basement dwelling crackpot from Reddit. He’s an actual rich tech industry guy who has run several companies and worked as a high level executive at Microsoft, and he’s dead serious about this absolutely insane shit.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tech bro totalitarian state

Super cool, I wonder if they'll pitch it to shark tank

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

The only way.

Yeah, that’s exactly what he explained when questioned about it. In his mind, AI will be able to monitor all communications, cross reference with school disciplinary reports, and info it can access from medical records and therapist reports (because HIPAA doesn’t apply to AI, man), and use that to preemptively pinpoint and and “deal with” anyone who it determines to be an “imminent threat” of perpetrating a mass shooting.

And to be clear, he’s not just some basement dwelling crackpot from Reddit. He’s an actual rich tech industry guy who has run several companies and worked as a high level executive at Microsoft, and he’s dead serious about this absolutely insane shit.

then you remember """AI""" is only as smart as the humans that feed it information (and most AI aren't even intelligent by any sort of definition of thinking)

wheeeeeeee

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

The only way.

I've heard a lot of buzz about this Phillip K Dick fellow, seems like someone that popular must have had a lot of marketable ideas.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    You know what an AI monitoring for school shooters would really, really need? A national gun registry it could cross reference with.

I mean, that'd be helpful even without the AI, so that seems like the obvious place to start.

Come on, tech bros, start talking to your media pals about growing support for a national gun registry.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "Wait, why is MY skull on the bottom of the pile?"

I'm reminded of a poster from a long while back who'd worked as a prosecutor on capital punishment case, and the convicted was a piece of work who 'deserved' what he had coming, but the poster's takeaway was, 'at this point, the world is better without this person, as they are -now.- But looking at all the resources we're expending to get that done, and with everything this case has shown me about their lives up to this point, the numerous, OBVIOUS points of intercession, where just a fraction of the resources we're spending to kill him applied to social services, to aid programs, to any of the points where the system failed him again and again over the years, it would've saved his life, it would've saved the people he killed. That could've made a difference, and what we're doing now when it's too late to change anything is just a useless waste.'

The only way.

We need that clip of Kratos doing the Nathan Fillion face rub meme.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    bf's new boss is absolutely doubling down on her bullshit; she just sent him an email stating that he has to complete a SECOND job of 30-40 hours a week at a seperate company (!) before he retires.

every lawyer i've contacted about this has ignored us. it's just infuriating. i'm at my wit's end, i don't know what else to do. she's trying to make him lose his 40+ years of banked retirement

Magic Pink on
  • Options

100%.

The ticket got delayed by my mental health day, and the tech wanting me to send full diagnostics as opposed to the splunkd logs I attached.

Yeah, support is always gonna want you to send a diag if it's not a device they can log into. Gives a much clearer picture of the problem.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

The only way.

https://youtu.be/xHAzhkIt0z4
    Are we the baddies.jpeg

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Magic, does firing your boyfriend have a material impact on his retirement? Does him retiring now instead of waiting to be fired have a material impact? Is there a written retirement policy in place to reference, if retirement confers some specific benefits? What does "complete a second job at 30-40 hours a week at another company" mean in this context, and is it outside the bounds of what he'd normally be expected to do (i.e. is he a contractor being told to go get contracted out to another full time position?)

If you cannot find an employment lawyer who will even hear you out for whatever reason and firing has a material adverse effect, it may be beneficial to simply retire early, even if that sucks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Magic, does firing your boyfriend have a material impact on his retirement? Does him retiring now instead of waiting to be fired have a material impact? Is there a written retirement policy in place to reference, if retirement confers some specific benefits? What does "complete a second job at 30-40 hours a week at another company" mean in this context, and is it outside the bounds of what he'd normally be expected to do (i.e. is he a contractor being told to go get contracted out to another full time position?)

If you cannot find an employment lawyer who will even hear you out for whatever reason and firing has a material adverse effect, it may be beneficial to simply retire early, even if that sucks.

He's already retiring early, just has to make it to April 11. If they fire him, he just loses it all.

He has to go to a second company and basically look over some stored junk and recycle stuff. He's a secretary like me so it's a pretty strange request; they pay this company to do that for them.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

He's already retiring early, just has to make it to April 11. If they fire him, he just loses it all.

He has to go to a second company and basically look over some stored junk and recycle stuff. He's a secretary like me so it's a pretty strange request; they pay this company to do that for them.

His boss is aware of his retirement date in writing and you have a copy of relevant policy that says his retirement will be paid out if he retires on that date, right? If that's the case, and he's being asked to do something completely random on the way out the door, the best bet is probably just to document doing it, send a CYA email saying this is outside of the job scope and I can't guarantee the work will be done by my retirement date, and then start to work on the task as instructed. I don't think there's any benefit in refusing to do the work and, unfortunately, the reassigning of job duties probably isn't going to get any lawyer interested in the case because there are not yet any damages.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

If they fire him after he has declared his retirement but before the date comes, then that seems ground for a wrongful termination lawsuit. Which is probably why they are trying to give him shitty work to justify terminating him.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Vesting rules seem like they should be important here

• Options
    About to enter a meeting to try and come up with server / group naming standards. I don't see this going great. We're in that wonderful midsized range of having around a thousand servers, mostly owned by our central IT department. We are starting to move towards automation more and more, which means name conflicts can occur more and more. But our traditional method of using department names as prefixes is... just... breaking down.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Daimar wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'll know if I got the job Friday. Boss told me if I get it I need to make sure I keep my schedule clear for July 24th-30th because whoever gets the job will be going to our Nova Scotia plant for some kinda something.

God, I hope I get it. Fuck the money it's one week of company paid poutine time, mother fuckers!

Nova Scotia means all you can eat lobster restaurants.

But who really has room for more than one lobster restaurant?
    e4c7b37a35c45a36e09123303b87ae11.jpg

Heffling on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    About to enter a meeting to try and come up with server / group naming standards. I don't see this going great. We're in that wonderful midsized range of having around a thousand servers, mostly owned by our central IT department. We are starting to move towards automation more and more, which means name conflicts can occur more and more. But our traditional method of using department names as prefixes is... just... breaking down.

Give each Dept a color code?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My college was small enough that while I was there their servers were all named after birds

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It also leaves aside the whole point of Minority Report, which is that their (unrealistically advanced) predictive AI was really just playing best two out of three and nobody could ever tell which results were ‘correct.’

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »

yeah give em a hex number. Easy peasy.

• Options

humorously that was one of the examples in my reference book. :) But as I said in the meeting, that's just a caesar cypher - you are swapping one name for another name. If you rename your team, then using a color code is fine. If you move a resource to another team, or merge teams, or whatever - then the name still causes a problem.

• Options

humorously that was one of the examples in my reference book. :) But as I said in the meeting, that's just a caesar cypher - you are swapping one name for another name. If you rename your team, then using a color code is fine. If you move a resource to another team, or merge teams, or whatever - then the name still causes a problem.

Hex coded superposition. You merge a blue resource to a red team, now your red team has a magenta tinge. Combine the teams and now you get a new purple one. Lets go fucking nuts with this!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Just name each one after a Pokemon there should be enough of those by now.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    the best solution I've come across when it comes to server naming:

physical servers get whatever hostname makes IT happiest, (asset tag imo)
    virtual servers with static names are assettag-v1 etc

for all the users who want a friendly name they get CNAME dns entries
    ideally through a self-service website set up by networking

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GAWD.

After a several hour nap and a meal, I've determined that the entirety of my last work week was unduly difficult due to a giant pile of trouble-pasta being thrown at the wall and whatever sticks is the priority. And no, that is absolutely not the case. When everything is an emergency, nothing can actually be an emergency, so sayeth OSHA. And Jesus too, but I am only your Humble Servant, dear Lord, this cup runneth over, I wasn't even thirsty.

But, it's not all bad since I got a better gauge on what is actually happening in my work environment and WHOA-HO-BOY is my boss in a world of shit trying to figure out how to cover his ass. He also completely blew off our conversation from yesterday which ... let's be honest here, folks, it's going to cost him a great deal with his bosses, but it's going to really bite him in the ass

I'm going to enjoy my next two days off and slowly but surely work out a process to knock out better product that's even more efficient than what I do now, but you fine folks BETTER BELEIVE I'm taking credit for it.

• Options
    Our servers are all named after pre-industrial sea voyages, but we have an extremely finite set.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Just name each one after a Pokemon there should be enough of those by now.

Okay uhhh so we just did the Q2 splits for the dev team this morning and we had four options up on the poll for theme, Pokemon won.

Now we have Eevee Squad and Charizard Squad. And the Duck Squad that usually doesn't change names is temporarily Psyduck Squad.

kx1o26pfr43c.png

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Our servers are all named after pre-industrial sea voyages, but we have an extremely finite set.

Sounds like no one's ever heard of HMS Badonkadonk, HMS Twerkitandwerkit, HMS WAP, HMS Yaddayadda, or HMS Martha Snoop-ert.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Sounds like no one's ever heard of HMS Badonkadonk, HMS Twerkitandwerkit, HMS WAP, HMS Yaddayadda, or HMS Martha Snoop-ert.

unto what strange lands did HMS WAP venture

This discussion has been closed.