As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Korok Torture Simulator is out!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Does the game not give you anything for getting all the lightroots?
    I've uncovered the entire depths on the map, no empty spots left to see.
    I expected something to acknowledge that. Not a super weapon or anything (I get how this works), but this game usually gives you something. A tasteless hat, a golden poop, something.

If I'm missing one, I don't know how I'll find it without a map to compare it to.

There are 120 lightroots

You get a medal in the “star” menu that acknowledges the achievement

Every lightroot has a corresponding shrine on the same spot in the overworld (there are 120 ground shrines, and 32 sky shrines)

Easy lightroots to miss, generally isolated or harder to reach from underground (may require finding a chasm)
    -all 3 labyrinths have a shrine or lightroot at all 3 map levels
    -under Rito Village
    -under zora’s Domain
    -under Tarrey Town
    -under Eventide Island
    -under spiral peninsula
    -under lake hylia
    -under hyrule castle

If you got all those and are missing a few, check your map again. The “fog of war” for areas where you don’t have lightroot coverage is slightly lighter than the dark black used for impassable walls, and is usually more uniform at the edge.

I thought I had all the lightroots, but I guess I'm missing 2.

Turns out the missing area can get really tiny and almost impossible to see.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I really really really hope we get Master mode for this. Like give me Golden Gleeoks and Horroblins and shit

Also all the fucking cool flying zones the enemies had in botw's master mode, I'll take at least 30 of those thanks.

(And fixed UI for the powers, but hey)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    30 hearts, 2 Stam wheels and 2 lynel guts from all my gear being maxed.

I do want to max out my hearts and finish the gear and then I'll head to the end of the game.

Not touching stamina anymore because being stuck with an incomplete wheel would hurt my brain.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I just thought of something, I don't know if I'm reaching or if the translators snuck a joke in there:
    I saw a complaint that calling them 'Secret Stones' is a bad translation, since they're not exactly kept secret from anyone.
    So they're a secret to everybody?
    zrwf8gvxasjt.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It's not a bad translation, it's an accurate translation of what it is in Japanese, it just sounds dumb.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I did not find the flying suit to be at all worth it myself. The "extra" mobility in the air seems to amount to squat, the only semi-interesting thing it does is let you slam into the ground at terminal velocity for zero damage. And even that takes two upgrades of the entire set to get.

For general play, getting the paraglider isn't much time to get and is ten times more useful.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Got all the lightroots! You were right, there were two tiny pinpricks of darkness on the map that I missed. Now I have a map to the shrines I'm missing (pretty sure they're all in caves, which is how I missed them).
    discrider wrote: »
    Managed to get to the ground, and now in Lookout landing.
    Which seems like where I was meant to go?
    I must have done something wrong.

It's entirely possible to not go there, but you'll be missing a few key pieces of kit unless you do.
    Speedrunners are already skipping the paraglider, which has me wondering how much of the game you could do without getting it. I think a priority would be to get the skydiving gear and upgrade it, and I assume you could make some devices to get high enough to get those, but power would be the problem. Fairies can heal you from plummeting to the ground, so if you can find some that's a couple of free trips to the Depths, where you can do some zonaite mining. The biggest problem I can see would be the Rito temple and boss. A flying machine might get you up there (if those work in the gale), but the boss would present problems. Maybe by dropping a wing and getting on it?

I hope it's possible, it'd be hilarious to just walk into Lookout Landing and say yeah, I fixed all the problems already.

do you have to do the temples for speedrunning?
    my understanding is that if you haven't killed the temple bosses you get to fight them before end boss. i think you can kill the wind boss with bows and keese wings.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If you look at the minimap, having three pieces of the skydive set makes you really zoom around. You can't get as far as if you were to ride the paraglider 100% of the time, but it definitely gets you there faster if you don't need that much lift.

Plus it makes the sky labyrinths tolerable to navigate.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I did not find the flying suit to be at all worth it myself. The "extra" mobility in the air seems to amount to squat, the only semi-interesting thing it does is let you slam into the ground at terminal velocity for zero damage. And even that takes two upgrades of the entire set to get.

For general play, getting the paraglider isn't much time to get and is ten times more useful.

The extra mobility actually let's you travel much further.

When traveling from a tower launch or jumping from a skyland if you are trying to cover a long distance you are going to need to stop gliding between air boosts to maximize your stamina. During that time having the suit equipped means you actually travel towards your goal much more instead of just plummeting.

It's not something you use instead of the glider, you use it with the glider. Like many times that suit is the difference maker of actually getting where you are trying to get.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    If I have to look at the map to notice the flying suit actually doing anything, it's just not worth it. Especially since I can build a flying cart for two fans and a control stick that will take me waaaaaay further and faster than the wingsuit ever would. And it works in both directions. And I can throw a light on it in the underground to see where I'm going.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's not a bad translation, it's an accurate translation of what it is in Japanese, it just sounds dumb.
    An accurate translation that sounds dumb is a bad translation.
    Sometimes you need to change things so that they make the kind of sense that the original did in its own language.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Last night I began the approach to the final confrontation. I have maxed hearts and stam, all Shrines, every lightroot, and today after like 200 hours in the game I learned
    you can unlock a garden plot for growing pumpkins, radishes, carrots and tomatoes.

This game.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    If I have to look at the map to notice the flying suit actually doing anything, it's just not worth it. Especially since I can build a flying cart for two fans and a control stick that will take me waaaaaay further and faster than the wingsuit ever would. And it works in both directions. And I can throw a light on it in the underground to see where I'm going.

You're using it wrong then. Seriously, it's drastically effective at what it does.

You're also wrong on speed - it is dramatically faster to dive from somewhere high than just fly there using the hoverbike. Hoverbike is actually pretty fucking slow, all things considered - the flight is it's saving grace.

Also you know, it's free, unlike the bike - 9 zoanite is 9 zoanite, it's not a huge cost but it's not nothing either.

For my money the best thing I ever did was stick a travel medallion at the absolute highest point you possibly can - the places you can dive too from there? Dramatic!

• Options
    You don't "have to" look at the map to notice it's doing something, that's just a tool to help recognize the significant value that it's always provided.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    The main benefit of the wingsuit isn't so much overland gliding (I feel like Paraglider + Gust gets you a lot more distance). Rather, its benefit is midair control. Using the wingsuit lets you make faster adjustments to your immediate position in the air as you dive. Which is really nice for challenges where you need to hit specific targets while diving, avoid lasers, or just otherwise move quickly to grab or avoid something as you fall.

It's one of those things where I basically always equip it when I'm about to be skydiving, since other outfits don't offer any help to that part of the game.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Every single shrine: complete.

What an ugly reward.

Now to finish collecting every single bubblefrog. I may yet even try for every korok - I'm past 200 of the little dudes so far

• Options
    For your consideration and comparison:
    Frox.jpg
    Glutko-1.png

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Once again I appreciate these logical debates but if I must fly it is by my biplane made from cobbled together junk with a spinning hot air balloon on top.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I fly how I feel like flying at that moment based on that current situation. Sometimes I'm a Rocket Man, and sometimes I'm just Free Falling.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Too late in the day to try it, but I wonder if you can make some kind of vehicle with springs and hover stones, where you turn it off and on to walk vertically…

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well yeah, ever since Link lost his pants, I've been looking forward to putting him in the wrong trousers.

• Options
    Defeated Ganon.
    That was goddamnrd incredible. I'm not crying, you're crying.

Aside very specifically from the "combat mechanics" in the "fight" against Dragon Form Ganon (which was neat looking, but boring), I loved all of that and all of that was exactly what I wanted.

Fuckin' awesome.

9/10 game. Make a new-gen Zelda, Nintendo. 4k. High-res textures. Anti-aliasing. All the bells and whistles. Unless you're scared to try.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Sadly, an active hover Stone takes more force to move than a spring provides. A rocket will do it. A fan won’t.

Edit

Honestly I wish rockets could last longer. I get why they want to sharply limit that much thrust, but it makes them unappealing for builds because you can only ever use them for the initial launch.

Enlong on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    dear nintendo, get rid of the whistle, no one is horsing in this game. Seriously, i did the quests with horses, now i'm teleporting, diving, gliding, flying, rocketing, driving. i don't need a horse. i'm sorry, Henry Ford has arrived.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Pailryder wrote: »
    dear nintendo, get rid of the whistle, no one is horsing in this game. Seriously, i did the quests with horses, now i'm teleporting, diving, gliding, flying, rocketing, driving. i don't need a horse. i'm sorry, Henry Ford has arrived.

I used horses when I had to, traveled a tiny bit with one purely because I could drag friend-missing koroks easily, but as soon as I figured out the hoverbike? Never again.

Ed: Post-ending.
    I'm kinda burned there isn't a post-game where you've slain Ganon and Zelda's out researching this or that, being her nerdy self.

I get that it's the same as BotW, it'd just be cool if Zelda existed within the world of Zelda as more than a narrative point, confined to cutscenes.

I want to be able to walk up to her in my new manse at Terry Town, have her ask me what I'm making for dinner, pretend to like whatever I bring her and suggest a meal of esoteric ingredients I have to go adventuring to find.

That'd be cool.

Chance on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Plus even if you do use the whistle, the range is hilariously limited and it’s not really a time-saver versus just running back to the horse.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    They should have just made the horse be Assassin's Steed. Just appear whenever you whistle for it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Carson does not appear to appreciate Link completing this stable for him.
    We even put a log horse on the roof so everyone knows where to get horses.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    They should have just made the horse be OoT Epona. Just appear whenever you whistle for it.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Just bring back the Ancient Saddle. That was a thing in BOTW DLC that let horses teleport to you when you whistled.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Honestly I find I very rarely use horses beyond the big open areas mostly for the same reason I haven't used any kind of land vehicles since I unlocked the balloon: the terrain is WAY too uneven. You'll bring a horse or spend zoanite on a car and not five minutes later you have to abandon them because you need to climb a slope far too steep for them or jump into a hole to proceed.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Bwahaha, just found my new favorite thing. Once you go to Death Mountain and
    get the sage there to start fighting for you
    you can still use their ability while driving a vehicle. They just hang off a part of the vehicle and you can launch them like a thousand-pound flaming mortar. It's fantastic, especially when you're scooting around on a little two-fan bike. Takes some finesse because the launch conserves the physics of whatever you're moving on, but the shot either barrels right through targets or explodes on impact, sending stuff flying. And it can be fired like every 5-10 seconds, depending on how far you launch the shot.

Now I'm wishing I'd done this section earlier, I'd have been blasting enemies all game with this.

• Options
    One note on that Ninja - it actually effects the weight of your vehicle and how it handles. It's real fucking annoying, so remember to turn it off when you dont need it

(You can test this for yourself fairly easily - it's possible to have the sage power sometimes spawn off center of your vehicle, and it will noticeably list to one side when it does)

Honestly, i dont bother most of the time - the damage is pretty so so, the knockback is iffy, it's mainly just a tool for mining in caves.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Real nice of them to place this spike shrine right underneath this second sky tower.
    I guess you could find the front door of the bokogoblins encampments and fight all these bokogoblins that are apparently here.
    But using pitons straight up the mountain and then jumping across the palisade, to activate the tower from behind works too.

Anyway, exploring the sky islands again.

Utterly dismayed when a jump strike fighting a Construct causes one of the rockets I needed to fall off the island.
    Luckily, there's still the second rocket.

Link: YEET

.. That was decidedly not Ultra-hand.

discrider on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Sadly, an active hover Stone takes more force to move than a spring provides. A rocket will do it. A fan won’t.

There have been so many weird vehicle posts online that there's no way I can find it now, but someone DID actually make a perpetually climbing machine from springs and hover stones that works only in low gravity zones, and it was cool to see.
    it's mainly just a tool for mining in caves.

Ugh, I hate using it for mining. The pieces go flying everywhere and you can't find them half the time or they land in the middle of water or something. I continue to use boulders on weapons because everything drops right in front of me.

It's good for breaking through rock walls, or depths walls of zonaite (not the individual deposits).

• Options
    I was meaning the rock walls/zoanite walls. Agree on it being no good for actual ore deposits

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Hey, speaking of breaking rock walls and mining.
    Lightning strikes count as explosions. Yunobo and Riju together obviate the need for most any other resource for tunneling operations.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Hey, speaking of breaking rock walls and mining.
    Lightning strikes count as explosions. Yunobo and Riju together obviate the need for most any other resource for tunneling operations.

Well thats a cool thing I wish I knew sooner! I was just using the one and waiting on the CD like a fool!

• Options
    Gerudo region main quest
    I gotta say, I love what they did with Gibdos in this one? It's a major departure from the usual design of Gibdos, being your standard mummies. It's just kinda neat how they took the concept and decided "nah, they're moth-monsters this time, and only their larval forms resemble human bodies." It's a decidedly creepy and unique take on the monster, and I'd be interested to see that stick around.

I also liked what I think were a few references to older Gibdos and REdead incarnations. One guy in Gerudo town, scared of the Gibdos, basically said "and now the vicitms are brought back to life as monsters!", and that made me think of how everyone playing OOT first through the Redeads were the Castle Town citizens killed and reanimated (before going to KAkariko and finding out they're fine); the reveal that the Gibdos are monsters born in a hive instead of zombies makes me think of how apparently Redeads are actually golems instead of corpses. I also like how hitting Gibdos with a weakening element makes them turn chalk-white. It reminds me of using the SUn's Song to paralyze Redeads/Gibdos and changing their color (to a pale blue, admittedly)