Options

[The Legend of Zelda] New Zelda game releasing this year with Zelda as the main hero?!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I mean, my hope is that the next game takes us back to a Dark World just as detail-filled as the Light World. It's certainly possible, it's just a matter of how much effort they would want to put into it. Every town is a dark reflection of a Light World town filled with monsters, all the evil places in the Light World are nice places in the Dark World, etc. Personally, I'd love to see something like Ganon's Tower flickering with evil magic on Death Mountain, visible at night from the furthest reaches of the Dark World.

And permanent constructions in the overworld would be no big deal on PC (just more drive space) but yeah, it's a pretty tall order to have something like in a game like TotK and on the Switch. Probably need something like saving an entire copy of the game world for each save file and adding the modifications in, otherwise you hit the same memory issues that limit constructs.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I don't know about you guys, but my permanent construction is levitating at a 30 degree angle, after being built upon the Foreman's head.

But yeah, permanent constructions would have solved that stable problem at lookouts landing a whole dungeon sooner.

discrider on
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I mean, my hope is that the next game takes us back to a Dark World just as detail-filled as the Light World. It's certainly possible, it's just a matter of how much effort they would want to put into it. Every town is a dark reflection of a Light World town filled with monsters, all the evil places in the Light World are nice places in the Dark World, etc. Personally, I'd love to see something like Ganon's Tower flickering with evil magic on Death Mountain, visible at night from the furthest reaches of the Dark World.

And permanent constructions in the overworld would be no big deal on PC (just more drive space) but yeah, it's a pretty tall order to have something like in a game like TotK and on the Switch. Probably need something like saving an entire copy of the game world for each save file and adding the modifications in, otherwise you hit the same memory issues that limit constructs.

Memory constraints make it challenging, sure, but you can get part way. Imagine building platforms enough to make small one room houses on. The space constraints limit the complexity of the construction already, and if you space the platforms out in the world enough, you can make sure you only need to load one into memory at any given time.

Edit: in fact, they already have the perfectly sized platform: the material platform you find the material already on! Imagine that platform itself acted as an immovable fusable object and any construction above it within those bounds was saved.

Again, wishing for unicorns here, but I was a game dev in a previous life, so thinking what more could be done is irresistible for me.

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I finally had the time to get back into this and I have been properly exploring now that I have every sage, ability and the master sword.

Game continues to be amazing in every respect, just pure joy every 15 minutes.
    I just figured out how to slaughter a King Gleeok without letting it get its bullshit final attack off and I am very happy because that attack SUCKS.

The game has finally reached the point in the main quest where it is just saying "Yo go kill that guy. you know that guy. The main guy. Please?" and I am continuing to say "No"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    That's where I'm at, since I have the Korok finder now.

But Typhlo ruins is giving me some serious side-eye about not finishing dungeons first.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I finally had the time to get back into this and I have been properly exploring now that I have every sage, ability and the master sword.

Game continues to be amazing in every respect, just pure joy every 15 minutes.
    I just figured out how to slaughter a King Gleeok without letting it get its bullshit final attack off and I am very happy because that attack SUCKS.

The game has finally reached the point in the main quest where it is just saying "Yo go kill that guy. you know that guy. The main guy. Please?" and I am continuing to say "No"

Gleeoks are just Keese Eyeballs: The boss fight. Keese eyeballs and a multishot bow make for very, very sad Gleeoks, it's great.

Though every King Arena is setup in such a way there's a piece of terrain you can conveniently ascend through and then jump off to get air time for those sweet headshots as well. Helps a bunch.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I just put rockets and bombs on my spare shields. I use keese but you can manually aim too it doesn't matter.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My 8-year old daughter wanted to draw me some pictures over the Winter break. She decided because I love Zelda games so much that she'd draw me Link. This WW Link was her first rendition:

ycld2pb2p7q6.jpg

After much appreciation, she decided to draw two more Links, which got progressively more angry. First was OoT Link:

kwlfmcxm4y2v.jpg

And second was LttP Link:

qbkv0kk6xndp.jpg

Proud gamer dad.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the what?
    How did I miss that this was a thing?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    The Korok mask, it was in the first game too as part of the Master Trials DLC. In TotK I think it's in one of the Depths arenas. Can't remember which one off the top of my head though.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited January 5
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the what?

The Korok mask. Shakes when you're near a Korok puzzle.

It was DLC in BotW, and like most BotW DLC gear carried forward to TotK I believe it's...somewhere in the Depths. Never found it myself.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the what?

The Korok mask. Shakes when you're near a Korok puzzle.

It was DLC in BotW, and like most BotW DLC gear carried forward to TotK I believe it's...somewhere in the Depths. Never found it myself.

I found it early without specifically looking for it. It's pretty useless though. Like yeah, im already aware there is a Korok but which damn way did he teleport?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's been pretty good for "you gotta look under that rock".

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular

Wait ... you DON'T lift EVERY rock in the game anyway? What ... what have you been doing?

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    Trying to shift a sword with timebombs.

• Options
    Currently though, I'm trying to get to Rito's light root, without actually fixing their problems.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oh right, the mask.
    'Korok finder' made me think there was a sensor option that I'd missed entirely to tell proximity/direction.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's pretty helpful as a general guide, I've found a ton of koroks I would have missed just by tooling around with it on.

Sometimes it's real frustrating when you know one is nearby, but can't locate the exact puzzle

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited January 9
    dipuc4life wrote: »

Wait ... you DON'T lift EVERY rock in the game anyway? What ... what have you been doing?
    1704687112-comic857.png

discrider on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    The Korok mask, it was in the first game too as part of the Master Trials DLC. In TotK I think it's in one of the Depths arenas. Can't remember which one off the top of my head though.

Appropriately its in the Korok forest arena

Youll uh find a helpful trail to it when youre close

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I just beat my second boss (I did the wind temple first, and just now did the lightning temple). im glad I had a huge stockpile of arrows and cooked meats for heals from all my amiibo scans, because the Gibdo Queen boss was pretty tough for me! I still haven't done any of the underground stuff yet, and also haven't even revealed most of the map, so a long ways to go. definitely having a lot of fun so far, and while some of the shrine puzzles have been pretty easy, I like the harder ones as they're more fun once you figure them out IMO

• Options
    pce1sycnv1ds.png

Well that's random. I was hoping for another live event, because I think my kids would love it, but this will have to do.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited January 25
    Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    its funny that the statues are just the amiibos but more detailed

which isn't a bad thing, but its like, I already have the amiibos!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    pce1sycnv1ds.png

Well that's random. I was hoping for another live event, because I think my kids would love it, but this will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuXHrHRZzLk

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah hey I thought those looked familiar.

1708316042-comic863.png

• Options
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

This is super cool but man, I cannot justify dropping the price of a freaking SWITCH on a Lego set...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thaaaaaaat's lego!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18
    A Zelda game got announced.

And when I say "a Zelda game" I mean a Zelda game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94RTrH2erPE

Andy Joe on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A Zelda game that takes the experimentation of Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom and puts it into a 2D Zelda game. Like, actually starring Zelda.

Coming out this September. Goddamn.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    That looks neat. Getting it for sure. Gotta support Zelda-protagonist games so they make more in the future.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Goddammit.

Finally a Zelda game, but it’s nothing but gimmicky bullshit.

Yes it’s adorable and I’m sure the mechanic is going to get ingeniously ridiculous but these ancient goddamn sexist mother fuckers just *cannot* let their girls have a regular game.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Goddammit.

Finally a Zelda game, but it’s nothing but gimmicky bullshit.

Yes it’s adorable and I’m sure the mechanic is going to get ingeniously ridiculous but these ancient goddamn sexist mother fuckers just *cannot* let their girls have a regular game.

I get what you're saying, but I honestly prefer this over having a palette-swapped Link. This looks pretty fun and unique, and there might be a lot we haven't seen yet. Certainly looks like a LttP/TotK hybrid in terms of experiencing the game differently.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You can make Zelda distinct from Link and let her have normal combat at the same time.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    I like it. Zelda's power literally comes from wisdom.

Although with Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, and this one, it does leave a large gap in new LoZ games with the traditional format.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    They've been saying since forever that they'd want Zelda to play completely differently from Link and that's the excuse for why she's not playable, and I've been saying since like two decades ago stuff in the vein of "guys, Zelda is literally a Fucking Wizard. If you can't give a Fucking Wizard a 'unique gimmick' turn in your game developer hats because you're stupid. Just make her game more puzzle based or give her combat more based on timing while casting spell sigils or use summons or whatever the absolute fuck instead of Link's sword and you're done, that's not an excuse"

So, not terribly surprised they finally managed to do the thing we all thought before! I'm a bit eh that her puzzle solving seems to be all about the single ability of reproducing items instead of like, unlocking new spells to do various new stuff, but I'm sure it'll be used in fun ways.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    You can make Zelda distinct from Link and let her have normal combat at the same time.

Yeah but that is in no way inherently better if it was.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    oia5zfxydwbp.jpeg

I don’t know, maybe Zelda without a sword is more terrifying?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page