Options

Mint in sealed box [action figures (and other toys)] thread - nsf56k

1192021222325»

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I legitimately like Mainframe's robot mode. It's very "this is G1 updated to modern standards"

But oh my god, that alt mode is just...no.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This one is primarily for @Athenor (assuming you're still collecting Archecore?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhoUHgoUd-Y

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm still keeping an eye on them, but haven't had anything really catch my eye since the initial release. The forest and desert troops, and their various creatures and mechs, just didn't call to me. However, these lancers/centaurs have had my interest for a bit now. I think this is the kind of thing I'm into.

But. In terms of stuff I'm watching, Heat Boys unveiled their samples of Donatello and all the gadgetry he gets, and it is insane. The sniper rifle even ejects shells!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I finally got time to take out my Arcadia VF-19 Kai, Bandai DX YF-19, Bandai DX VF-1S DYRL Mechanic Edition, Bandai HMR VF-1A (Max), Bandai HMR VF-1A (Kakizaki), Bandai HMR VF-1A (Cannon Fodder), Tomica VF-1J Hikaru, Tomica VF-1J Max, and Tomica VF-1S Roy out of their boxes and had to adjust the Macross display from one shelf spot to two shelf spots. I still don't have enough room to put Mirage's VF-31AX in Fighter Mode in the display and I'm not happy with how I crammed the Mospeada stuff in with the VF-1 line. But I'll make some room to take the Mospeada stuff out and make the SDFM and DYRL shelf simpler.

Right now my shelves feel like "Where's Hikaru" till I make more display space.

9788sqhy3y6j.jpg

I finally got to play with the VF-19 Kai and had to move the Aracadia YF-19 so I had a chance to compare them to the Bandai DX YF-19. Honestly I like the Bandai version better. It feels a whole lot more solid and stable in Battroid mode. I'm thinking when I make a shelf for the Mospeada stuff I'll have to make a small space for the Macross Plus bots since I'll have the DX YF-21 coming as well as the DX VT-1 Super Ostrich (eventually).

zdm27d19uaiv.jpg

4peotfpm5b3b.jpg

After this though I think I'm done collecting Macross. I just don't have the room to display all of them. I just realized after taking the photos that I had the DX MWW VF-25 shoved into a shelf under some Star Wars figures. :s But I'm happy that I finally have all of my Macross and Mospeada stuff out of their boxes. Sadly I broke my Yellow Sentinel Mospeada Ride Armor transforming it for the first time, so will have to glue the parts on and leave it as one mode.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    I had some time to play around with stuff this week. Got a light box setup to try and take better pictures, starting with Amazing Yamaguchi Agent Venom.

faxtyqq7xnr2.jpeg

It's Venom, but now he has a gun! Actually, he has five guns and thanks to the magic of symbiote tendrils he can hold them all at once.

jcp8sfqd61bb.jpeg

Pew pew!

l63cwf8jwhj4.jpeg

AY continues to knock it out of the park. Fantastic figure, looks great, and fun to fiddle with and pose. I've got Spider-Man 2.0 on the way and Supergirl preordered for next month, so I'm looking forward to those too.

• Options
    Whoa, how'd you get Agent Venom already? Non-U.S. retailer? My pre-order at The Chosen Prime says "September".

• Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    Yeah, he released in Japan at the end of April and I managed to get one when he was briefly in stock on HLJ.

That reminds me that there seems to be something odd going on with this line and which stores have which releases. HLJ had Agent Venom, but they haven't gotten any of the newer DC releases. Meanwhile, Amiami generally has them all, except for Agent Venom who never showed up there.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I absolutely love the BB Megatron figure. It has some crazy articulation and a ton of fan modes. Someone even made a "Rex" mode somewhere...

So thanks to @Undead Scottsman I now own the Ratbat and Megatron two pack.

I loved the miner Megatron figure and now I don't have the urge to buy the 3P version. Didn't really care for the Ratbat, but love the photos that Undead Scottsman shared so it pushed me over the edge to buy the set on sale.

Edit: Transforming them I realized they packed them with their heels folded in. No wonder they couldn't stand worth beans. Hahaha!

That reminds me, my copy of Megatron wasn't fully able to straighten out his legs until I swapped some parts and he had trouble standing because of it.
    Some copies of the figure have been reported to have their inner knee joints misassembled—the circular detail above the screw should be towards the back instead of the front. One way to remedy this is to unscrew the knees, pop the pin in the thigh and swap the knee joint. This also has been reported to (somewhat) improve the joint's looseness.

Here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rpYDuI0sME

Sorry I should have mentioned it in my review but it was so long ago I forgot.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    It's been a long time since I've been genuinely excited about a Transformers Masterpiece release, but I am extremely excited about MP-59 Beast Wars Rhinox (which officially released on Saturday). Beast Wars is very much "my" Transformers, in that it's the show that was on the air when I was in the right age group to be into it, and the toys were the ones that were in stores when I was the right age to be into them (and I had a looooot of them). My very first Transformers toys were actually G2 toys that were hanging around at the time, and over the years I developed a lot of affection for the traditional G1 characters and toys (although don't forget that Beast Wars is officially part of the G1 continuity), but Beast Wars will always be my first true love.

It helps that Beast Wars Masterpieces have been, to a one, absolute bangers. Not flawless, for sure - Dinobot is notorious for having an over-complicated shoulder ratchet design that is very prone to breaking, the original release of Cheetor had shoulders that were so fragile they were redesigned for reissues, etc. Further, Beast Wars had a lot of mass-shifting, and for some of the characters it's hard to tuck all robot bits into a lithe or irregularly-shaped animal form (MP Blackarachnia has extremely obvious robot legs making up her abdomen in beast mode; Cheetor and Tigatron both suffer from Robot Hands Out The Animal Butt syndrome). ... Man, when I phrase it like that, I guess they don't sound like bangers anymore. But, taking all of those constraints into consideration, I think the BW MPs have been some of the most interesting ones, with the most successful execution. The robot modes practically step off the screen. I dunno, maybe I'm biased!

Anyway, Rhinox is getting some extremely positive reviews. Here's Takara's official transformation video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGscs06SvSo
    Now, it certainly looks complicated, but my experience has been that transformation videos that show every single motion as its own discrete step - with the person putting the figure down and withdrawing their hands from the shot - make the transformation feel much more complicated than it actually is. First, it makes the video longer, and makes it feel like it drags, which adds to the feeling of complexity. Second, the transformation in real life is much more fluid and organic. You don't put the figure down, and steps flow from one to the next. I suspect it won't be as bad as it feels, although there is certainly a lot of collapsing flaps and panels on top of each other.

A lot of people on the TFW forums pre-ordered this from Amazon Japan, because it often works out to be cheaper than ordering from domestic retailers. I typically don't do that, at least in part because it requires effort of set up shipping to the U.S. (I'm sure it's not actually that hard). So, I had mine pre-ordered at a U.S. retailer, but someone on the TFW forums pointed out that Amazon.com put up a listing for the figure that is actually fulfilled by Amazon Japan, BUT without the shipping fee. I'm a little bit wary of it, concerned if it's a legit listing or not, partially because the figure is listed as "Linox", and I don't want to get a KO - but I figure, it's probably too early for there to be KOs of this figure, and hell, for a $70 savings over domestic retailers, I'll give it a gamble.

• Options
    edited July 1
    I could help you out with setting up an Amazon Japan account to buy MP-59 directly from them. It is as easy as setting up a US Amazon account.

Enter in an e-mail address, set a password, enter in your shipping address. Then boom, you can now order from Amazon Japan.

Just make sure you order from a seller that ships from "Amazon.co.jp" and you are fine. Sometimes you can get a seller that doesn't charge tax outside of Japan. The other thing is having a CC that will allow you to buy from foreign countries. Most will to be honest, but charge you an exchange fee (mine isn't that bad). Their website will offer to pay in USD, but don't. Use your CC exchange rate and AJ automatically calculates the tax and shipping. I've used both the cheaper one which takes a week or so, and the higher priced one which ships via DHL International which is super fast.

Here's the link to buy it directly from Amazon Japan: MP-59

Edit: Also, that is the real Amazon Japan seller on Amazon US. I bought my Genesis Mini and Macross DYRL Bluray from that same seller which was AJ. The Genesis Mini they charged me for shipping, but the Macross Bluray was free shipping. I can't remember how they shipped now.

On another note. I just got in my Vintage R2-D2 and Princess Leia to try and recreate this scene from the Tantive IV. I curse the plastic dress since I can't get her to bend down as far as she did in the movie.

nggda6mf7xov.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Edit: Also, that is the real Amazon Japan seller on Amazon US. I bought my Genesis Mini and Macross DYRL Bluray from that same seller which was AJ. The Genesis Mini they charged me for shipping, but the Macross Bluray was free shipping. I can't remember how they shipped now.
    Hooray, thank you for confirming! Since I don't have any experience buying from Amazon Japan either directly or through Amazon.com, I didn't know what to look for on that listing, and it was so bare-bones that I was a little anxious about whether it was a real seller, or one masquerading as Takara/Amazon Japan/whatever.

• Options
    If it helps, I’ve used it too. It’s how we got the Beastbox Glacier box set for my wife.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hooray, thank you for confirming! Since I don't have any experience buying from Amazon Japan either directly or through Amazon.com, I didn't know what to look for on that listing, and it was so bare-bones that I was a little anxious about whether it was a real seller, or one masquerading as Takara/Amazon Japan/whatever.

I've heard some people/fans saying that it isn't Amazon Japan, but I know for a fact that it is them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 5
    MPM Brawl is finally up on Hasbro Pulse. Or... is about to be. He'll be available to the general public in 30 minutes. Right now it is up for pulse members.

This is one of those rare times I wish I was a pulse member.

Edit: Wait, nevermind. I checked Target (as it is a Target exclusive in the states), and they had it available to pre-order. Sadly I couldn't ship it to the store, but that's fine. I also got to apply my built-up Circle discounts to knock a decent chunk off of it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    FYI: Titan Tidal Wave is starting to ship out. Apparently it has a structural issue with the knees, they’re heavy ratchets but supported by small tabs inside, so they easily snap, making the knees weak. Seems like they had a pretty incompetent designer at Hasbro.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FYI: Titan Tidal Wave is starting to ship out. Apparently it has a structural issue with the knees, they’re heavy ratchets but supported by small tabs inside, so they easily snap, making the knees weak. Seems like they had a pretty incompetent designer at Hasbro.

Well that sucks.... Hopefully they redo it and release a fixed version. Didn't they do that with Trypticon?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Well that sucks.... Hopefully they redo it and release a fixed version. Didn't they do that with Trypticon?

I think I remember something like that for Trypticon but I passed on him so not too familiar. Here’s an example inside TWs knee:
    5382i9rvepk7.jpeg

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Well damn, I am glad to see this jow! My Tidal Wave is out for delivery and I would have done my normal thing of photographing and transforming the heck out of it.

I know I modified my Trypticon's ratchets and out in weaker springs. I dont't mind if I have to do that with Tidal Wave.

• Options
    edited July 6
    Oh hey, speak of the devil!

CHvsqU6h.jpg

Hasbro, your packing prowess never ceases to amaze me. I'm glad I'm not paying for mint packaging.

DFcWHaDh.jpg

Back of the box, cool as usual.

87VkNBYh.jpg

Now THAT is a coffin. I wasn't expecting him to be fully assembled!

cuYmJL5h.jpg

Oh. Wait. Okay, smart on their part, each bit is shipped separately. Man, he looks like a partsformer now!

FbpcUOQh.jpg

While the internal minicon gimmicks are gone (as is the minicon), I do appreciate that all of the cannons are now 5mm ports that can be swapped.

cWtPWY5h.jpg

Aaaand... this is as far as I'm taking it for now. Being broken "out of the box" makes me want to check the joints before I play with anything, so I need to do some research on how to take this guy apart properly and make sure I don't damage anything.

Edit: Due to the lack of concrete info in the thread over on TFW2005, I just made a heck of an effort post to try and help others out. It's always fun when I get out the calipers.

Legacy United Armada Universe Tidal Wave (Titan Class)

Athenor on
  • Options
    ... Holy shit, he can pose.

igtsmRwh.jpg

• Options
    @Athenor I appreciate all your work and documentation! Curious to see what the best fix will be or if a 3rd party will release something. I saw one person fill the gaps with some kind of molding clay I believe? I’ll have to try finding the details later.

Such a bummer for a highly anticipated and expensive figure.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The same trick works for Tidal Wave that worked for Trypticon, and that's to open the joint, cut the spring in half, and only use half the spring. If you reduce the compression load provided by the spring, the plastic doesn't have to support as much stress when moving the ratchet, so shouldn't break.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    The same trick works for Tidal Wave that worked for Trypticon, and that's to open the joint, cut the spring in half, and only use half the spring. If you reduce the compression load provided by the spring, the plastic doesn't have to support as much stress when moving the ratchet, so shouldn't break.

Did you do this yourself? It sounded like that may not fully solve it based on that thread. Less pressure from the spring may cause the ratchet plate to stress or unseat itself from the tabs. Some were having to superglue it down.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Heh, Soundwave already sold out.

• Options
    I never circled back around to show what the mini dark fleet looked like with Legacy Armada Megs. Might as well correct that.

Mniwd2mh.jpg

bPSF5Oah.jpg

E1ELTYrh.jpg

The mini dark fleet is REALLY good, except.. well, except for the aircraft carrier. The way it unfolds just makes it way too big, proportion wise, for Megs. There's all sorts of little pegs and holes on it that make me think it should be able to do more, but the default "plug it into the arm" just looks off. (While writing this, I remembered that all the peg holes are for the base mode.) The backpack helps a ton with stability, though, because it pegs the two shoulder plate pieces together. This means that they won't flop around with the extra weight. Combined with shifting his cannon to the front and adding the heel/feet extenders (that are new to this variant), and you have a very solid, in theory, figure.

But the theory part is the issue. See, despite being a Leader class figure, there are no ratchets used in him. They instead went with pinned ball-style joints. And like any pinning process, these can get very loose, very quickly due to how the pins don't really grab onto the two pieces and hold them together with friction. This is worst in the arm that is supposed to hold the aircraft carrier, such that he cannot really pose it without the arm flopping down from the weight. It's.. probably fixable, but it wouldn't have been hard to make a more secure joint with a few more pieces. The legs at least have the benefit of being able to take a very wide stance that is super solid.

I really, really wish that the mini dark fleet could combine into a mini tidal wave. It would've made a great legends/core class scale figure, and only a bit more would've needed to be done - well, other than the out of proportion aircraft carrier bits. Of course, it also would have shown just how much Hasbro figures have shrunk over the years, because no one would have tolerated Tidal Wave being so small.