As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anyway, Here's ωονδερωάλλ[Chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91JXXeLOjo

Did you know Achilles may have personally caused the Bronze Age Collapse?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91JXXeLOjo

Did you know Achilles may have personally caused the Bronze Age Collapse?

Achilles' face when he stops carrying

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    There is nothing to do today.

I might have to take a nap.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There is nothing to do today.

Why not play some Gameboy?
    https://imgur.com/gallery/lyvXTuO

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    The bronze age collapse was a consequence of multiple world systems failures that were inevitable following the growing pains of a novel interconnected agricultural economy and its unanticipated geopolitics that couldn't absorb any shocks to its too-far-hyper-specialized-for-its-time trade network that relied on pressure points for tin and copper, the core components of bronze

The sea people were victims!!!!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Evil Multifarious even at 1080 I’ve tried games on low settings and had an avg fps well under 30

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I blame Poseidon

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I got a yogurt and cappuccino at sbucks today. My yogurt was up when I got there and as I walked up the barista called my name and handed me a drink that had my name on it. I didn't think to check the rest of the label, and, of course, it wasn't mine.

Who orders a latte with splenda and whipped cream?

Meanwhile, if they took my drink, they got 4 shots of blonde espresso in their cappuccino.

I am certain that each of us found the other's beverage utterly undrinkable.

Psn:wazukki
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I blame Poseidon

Poseidon has some of the best buffs in Hades.

If you're gonna blame anyone it should be Aphrodite and her lame damage debuffs.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    And you said MY bit was bad!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    4m0qrcujsvtn.jpeg

New canonical spelling of he who will not be named

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    And you said MY bit was bad!

well meow I changed my mind

This meowgression will not stand

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don’t believe the Bronze Age collapse was due to the sea peoples or systemic issues. I think they simply didn’t try hard enough.

PSN: Honkalot
    Bronze League Age amirite

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I don’t believe the Bronze Age collapse was due to the sea peoples or systemic issues. I think they simply didn’t try hard enough.

Bootstraps weren’t invented yet

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The bronze age collapse was a consequence of multiple world systems failures that were inevitable following the growing pains of a novel interconnected agricultural economy and its unanticipated geopolitics that couldn't absorb any shocks to its too-far-hyper-specialized-for-its-time trade network that relied on pressure points for tin and copper, the core components of bronze

The sea people were victims!!!!

Well the theory I hinted at in the OP goes something like:

- You have a multinational trade network among Hittites, Assyrians, Babylonians, Egypt, Mycenaean Greece etc.
    - This trade network is important if you're using bronze for a lot of your local technology because while you might source copper, tin is a lot harder to come by locally
    - As a city on the Aegean coast of Anatolia, Troy would certainly be part of the trade routes and maybe grow rich from
    - Localised pressure happens. It could be shocks from earthquakes/volcanoes, climate shifts, drought/famine etc.
    - Archaeology shows Mycenaean Palaces getting fewer but more fortified, so the pressure is building
    - In an attempt to prop themselves up, the Greeks resort to something ranging from piracy to a full up war against Troy, possibly just for the plunder. This is where Eris and the apple of discord come in
    - They succeed, haul the loot home, but oops, you just destroyed the trade in and around the Aegean. Que many plays about Trojan veterans returning to their kingdoms and getting murdered as synecdoche for those palaces descending into chaos
    - As local stability breaks down, they take to the seas further afield for that mixture of piracy and migration
    - Right into all these other empires who have been struggling with whatever Mycenaean Greece was struggling with
    - Oops, you've disrupted what trade was left in the Eastern Mediterranean, tin dries up, as does bronze, and your fancy weapons can only take so many hits
    - Double oops, you've caused most of the local empires to hit a critical tipping point and collapse. Egypt barely hangs on but limps into the early iron age ripe for foreign invasion

So great job, Achilles

Vanguard wrote: »
    4m0qrcujsvtn.jpeg

New canonical spelling of he who will not be named

He's still T who must not be named to me

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Honestly if greedy ol Agamemnon hadn’t tried to plunder Troy hot Achilles could have hooked up with Briseis and that’s where my alternate world slash fiction gets really interesting

I need a government grant for like 500K to put the farm at a carbon positive stance. Which one of you PHDs wants to help me write the proposal in the next two years?

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    @Evil Multifarious even at 1080 I’ve tried games on low settings and had an avg fps well under 30

Huh I thought you had a more recent PC

But also I guess I haven't tried e.g. Elden Ring on my elderly PC, mostly older stuff

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I need a government grant for like 500K to put the farm at a carbon positive stance. Which one of you PHDs wants to help me write the proposal in the next two years?

This seems like something you could find online and fiddle to make specific to your farm.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Wait. They think that having multiple jobs means “more creative outlets”? What the fuck?

Most jobs are where creativity goes to die. Or more specifically, where creativity is squashed by upper management.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

The media is so good at making horrible working conditions sound good.

Not quite as dire as the feel good stories about a kid running a lemonade stand to pay for parents medical costs, but it's up there.

Polystarving where not just you but your family and children

Polystarving where not just you but your family and children

Jean Valjean over here getting 5 years for polystarving.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2023
    He didnt even ask his parents for a small five million dollar loan before stealing bread

Tumin on
    Polyworking and polymissing my polyrent because my polyaddiction to cope is too much

He didnt even ask his parents for a small five million dollar loan before stealing bread

He shouldn’t be asking “should I eat this bread from this bakery?” He should be asking “do I want to BUY this bakery?” Respect the hustle, and it will respect you.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I like how they imply having multiple jobs increases flexibility in your life

Fuckin what

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    doctor visit today; heart good, blood pressure good, lungs still eh but improving

I just need to stop being as much of a fat

but they're going to have to pry my fried oyster poboy out of my cold dead hands

rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    if anyone knows someone who writes or edits for someplace like Forbes or Fortune you have a moral imperative to knife them in the gut and stare into their eyes as the light goes out

rRwz9.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Jobs are the source of happiness, so you'd imagine having MORE jobs would make people HAPPIER—but our research has turned up some shocking news

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    "Evil Multifarious" even at 1080 I’ve tried games on low settings and had an avg fps well under 30

Huh I thought you had a more recent PC

But also I guess I haven't tried e.g. Elden Ring on my elderly PC, mostly older stuff

I built it in 2013 (i7 4770k, 16gb ram) and in like 2016 I upgraded the gpu to a gtx 980sc (4gb vram). I assumed I’d be able to at least limp along with that for a while but it turns out some games have it throwing in the towel already

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My ol'1070 is being retired this week. Buying a new computer. Its been 7 years and I did just get a nice bonus.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    doctor visit today; heart good, blood pressure good, lungs still eh but improving

I just need to stop being as much of a fat

but they're going to have to pry my fried oyster poboy out of my cold dead hands

hit me up with some spiced up remoulade
    and unf unf unf

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    Forbestune seems to be engaged in Prestige-laundering with their vaguely declared Opinions section

edited April 2023
    Chu it is 2023

This is like saying you bought a computer in 1993 in 2003

Its a potato, son

Tumin on
    Chu it is 2023

It's the current year

This discussion has been closed.