As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    53 fucking tickets and all i get is three copies of that hideous fox girl

fuck you, game

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Always sucks to hear when people don't get what they want, but on the other hand, it's good that someone's voicing it. Else people reading the thread might think that the rates are a lot better than they are.

As with Genshin, my view of this game is very much that you should not expect to get a 5* until you're after ~75 rolls in. Any earlier than that, you should consider yourself lucky. It's unfortunately normal to not get one after 50 or so rolls. Of course, if you were mainly hoping to get Sushang or eidolons for March, that's unfortunate! At least Tingyun is very, very good. Arguably the best 4* character in the game (although, in my opinion, I'd give that honor to Natasha).

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Natasha is certainly the best 4* healer right now, no doubt about it.

The new event seems pretty barebones. Genshin has conditioned me for a half an hour of Paimon blathering about food and riches before you get to do anything, here it was just "alright, go punch things for rewards" and then the punching starts. I didn't kill everything in 8 rounds or less so I guess I suck, though missing 20k cash isn't the end of the world.

Mirkel on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    tbf the seed for the event was in a sidequest in the launch content, so now we're just doing the "come back later and we're all set up part."

I'm interested to see how hard it gets. today was just featherweight after all. Also wondering if there will be any long term play. it is permanent i believe.

tbf the seed for the event was in a sidequest in the launch content, so now we're just doing the "come back later and we're all set up part."

I'm interested to see how hard it gets. today was just featherweight after all. Also wondering if there will be any long term play. it is permanent i believe.

As usual with MHY events, it isn't permanent but ends on 6th of June. Which means there's plenty of time to hit TB50 and ascend people for the later stages if they get actually hard.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    The buffs were kind of insane. By the final round I had some nonsense where breaking any enemy broke every enemy and applied every break effect all at once. Seele broke a miniboss and caused like 50k damage in break effects to that enemy alone.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

As usual with MHY events, it isn't permanent but ends on 6th of June. Which means there's plenty of time to hit TB50 and ascend people for the later stages if they get actually hard.

No it's permanent, the only time limited things are some of the rewards

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The other night I said in discord, "Man, I really like the story party members, especially March, but now that I have my faceroll team there's never going to be a point in using them again."

And then tonight I hit a boss in space-China.
    Kafka fucking drove my faceroll team 6 feet under the dirt nearly instantly. And then I studied the problem, thought for a few about solutions, and switched my party back up. March and Dan were both recruited back in and leveled up to parity with the rest of my group. MC was switched back to Phys since March could do shield duty. And she was a total breeze!

It feels really good when a boss makes you feel rewarded for outwitting it composition wise, and when a game tells you "Hey so don't think about characters as being permenantly replaced forever just because you rolled a 5* or two"

I'm trying to remember was that the fight the first time you go to the Navalia zone? I don't think I had any issues but I was already running a comp that was largely what you had so maybe that's why.

Also fun with March, her damage isn't super high, but her counter talent doesn't actually care about the source of the shield, so you can just run her with FireMC and get up to 2 free counters per turn because it'll proc off the full party shielding MC does.

steam_sig.png
    March is also great against those little shield robots because she'll take their shield off the same time they put it on

edited May 2023
    Madican wrote: »
    March is also great against those little shield robots because she'll take their shield off the same time they put it on

Yeah March is the reason I was several encounters in to those guys before I realized the attack was called Unstable Barrier because it gives them a shield.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I guess they addressed my concerns about this event content not lasting long enough in the dumbest way possible. Just time lock everything so you log in when they want you to.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited May 2023
    Madican wrote: »

No it's permanent, the only time limited things are some of the rewards

Re-read the wiki and I was wrong, but "some of the rewards" means most of the rewards - you'll get a total of 100 jade in the permanent version but 600 (and bunch of other junk, depending on your dps) during the event.

Mirkel on
    obviously not everything has to be a permanent system we'll engage with forever but a fighting tournament with randomly determined enemies is a really good baseline for something that can be refreshed frequently and keep things interesting.

I've seen some of the leaks for events coming up and I really like having a mix of "here's a big thing to do right now" and also "here's a thing to engage with over time"

edited May 2023
    So I know the trial version the boxing event uses of the new lightning 5 star probably has all the eidolons etc, but I found him fun enough I spent my accrued special passes and maybe half my jade to try and get him. Not sure the total but was probably around 80.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    So I know the trial version the boxing event uses of the new lightning 5 star probably has all the eidolons etc, but I found him fun enough I spent my accrued special passes and maybe half my jade to try and get him. Not sure the total but was probably around 80.

Does he? In Genshin they are usually fairly crappily built with no constellations, so if I have the same 5* I use my own. He might have his own 5* LC though.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The event trial version has absolute doo doo gear, and his stats at 55 were significantly worse than my level 50/60 JY

Anyway it's very funny to me that Star Rail already has significantly more interesting repeatable content than Genshin

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    vzhkczrpjecs.png

Seele definitely isn't overpowered though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    man, the second elite in SU6 is absolute bullshit when the best dps I have right now is yanqing

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    vzhkczrpjecs.png

Seele definitely isn't overpowered though.

Let me guess, Annihilation Beast?

PiptheFair wrote: »
    man, the second elite in SU6 is absolute bullshit when the best dps I have right now is yanqing

There's a couple ways to "solve" it without any DPS, like Nihility where the path resonance will do like 90% of the work and you just gotta not die in the meantime.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

There's a couple ways to "solve" it without any DPS, like Nihility where the path resonance will do like 90% of the work and you just gotta not die in the meantime.

I tried the nihility way, and after using it like 5 times he finally got strong enough to just insta clap me

edited May 2023
    The problem with Nihility I've found is that while it is almost 100% self sufficient (path resonance provides all DoTs) it's very inconsistent and really only pops off when you have enough 3 star blessings to really make the DoTs rip through them.

If that's not working, I'd suggest swapping to Hook for DPS if you've got her. (or potentially even Serval)

Yanqing is amazing but only if you can prevent him from ever taking damage, and there's a lot of AoE damage in World 6 (not to mention not a lot of ice weakness)

Maddoc on
    Nihility doesn't work as well in SU 6 thanks to the Phase 2 addition for the boss having a cleanse she will abuse without mercy. If running Yanqing your best bets are Preservation and Abundance, especially if you can nab the stuff that gives shields for healing

I just think the AoE damage output in SU6 between the bosses adds doing full party damage, and the boss doing their big AoE attack in phase 2-3, and the extra AoE damage proc that gets added to the turn order in phase 3, you're not gonna keep Yanqing's stance up

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    53 fucking tickets and all i get is three copies of that hideous fox girl

fuck you, game

so apparently it takes 55 to get him :)

Does he? In Genshin they are usually fairly crappily built with no constellations, so if I have the same 5* I use my own. He might have his own 5* LC though.

I just kind of assumed he was fully kitted out since most of time in the trial events they give you the most fun version, and like when I got the FireMC in the boss fight she was way more powerful than when I actually first tried to use her. But yeah, I guess the trial version for the boxing thing is just some guy. Though still 5 levels over my team.

steam_sig.png
    I will say, even with the scuffed version they give you for the trial

Jing Yuan is the new undisputed king of breaking, move over Asta, Sampo and Welt

edited May 2023
    It was hard for me to tell on this first one, maybe once the enemy levels get higher in later weight classes.

I can tell you hit trial just smashes enemies 5 lvls below him lol

initiatefailure on
    Sometimes the trials for characters are kind of hilarious because they'll use the weirdest setups. They're good for seeing how a unit plays more than what numbers it can do, which is pretty honest when it comes to something trying to get you to roll.

New day, new punchings.

Noticed I barely healed at all in the first round of punching so I shelved Nat and brought Fire TB instead who at least does some tiny amount of damage. This time got it done in 7 rounds, wooooo 20k cash!

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Did some experimenting after reading all the advice, and shelved Pela for Sushang. Single target damage only, but it's physical which so many things seem weak too, and of course, chicken. Combine her with Bronya and she attacks a lot.

And then I played something with a Seele support and now I'm super jealous of anyone who has that.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    I think there are definitely ways the game could put emphasis in other places than big single-target damage in the long run, but the current endgame/challenges/bosses sure do make the hunt characters shine a wild amount.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I think as fights get longer Erudition and Destruction will start to shine more as there are bosses that really like spamming adds.

Also, Nihility Serval vs. Svarog in SU is hilarious.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I will say, even with the scuffed version they give you for the trial

Jing Yuan is the new undisputed king of breaking, move over Asta, Sampo and Welt

If the enemy has a lightning weakness the lightning lord just deletes the bar and instantly staggers them. It's real funny to watch.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Lightweight event lives up to its name. Massive crit and crit dmg bonus to single target attacks and stuff just melts when Seele looks in their general direction. I had Jing in the party and I think lightning lord got to attack once through all four rounds of two waves each?

I also think that their weakness guide for this event is worthless. Given they select each rounds enemies at random, I haven’t seen any relation between the recommended elements and what actually shows up. Not that it really matters with the buffs, but it definitely makes me feel less limited putting parties together.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    I was hoping the enemies would be a higher level in lightweight but they were still lvl 50 (it says based on your eq level so I’m guessing it’s the lowest lever for your individual eq)

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    Lightweight event lives up to its name. Massive crit and crit dmg bonus to single target attacks and stuff just melts when Seele looks in their general direction. I had Jing in the party and I think lightning lord got to attack once through all four rounds of two waves each?

I also think that their weakness guide for this event is worthless. Given they select each rounds enemies at random, I haven’t seen any relation between the recommended elements and what actually shows up. Not that it really matters with the buffs, but it definitely makes me feel less limited putting parties together.

I'm kinda unclear on if they are actually random. At the very least, my battles on the NA and EU servers were the exact same fights in the same order for both of the first two rounds. I had a similar experience to you though, divided between the two accounts. Seele on the real account absolutely mopped up everything before they could do anything, while it actually took some time for Jing Yuan to take care of business. Still wound up clearing within 8 turns, but, only barely.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Well, also the buffs completely outweigh any benefit from weaknesses. Just throw your best attacker forward and laugh. This round is stupidly stacked for Seele in particular but any of the Hunt characters is going to steamroll it.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I realized how important playing to the buffs was when I got “if this is the only enemy deal an extra 300% damage” like yeah sure that’s a reasonable number

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »

I'm kinda unclear on if they are actually random. At the very least, my battles on the NA and EU servers were the exact same fights in the same order for both of the first two rounds. I had a similar experience to you though, divided between the two accounts. Seele on the real account absolutely mopped up everything before they could do anything, while it actually took some time for Jing Yuan to take care of business. Still wound up clearing within 8 turns, but, only barely.

I've done the first fight about 3-4 times now trying to get it under 8 rounds, and yeah it's not "random", it's the same 3 fights. My problem is I need to build up a fire, quantum, and wind unit. But first I put my efforts into Clara. Then Gepard. Now Jing Yuan. When I get around to it, I'm not quite sure who to pick. Well... the only wind and quantum characters right now are Dan Hung and Qingque. As for fire I'm waffling between an E2 Hook (extra skill damage and +1 burn turn), or E1 Asta (skill hits +1 time). I like Hook, but me thinks Asta with the far superior breaking is probably better.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."