As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It'd be nice to get an official deep dive into all the terminology one day. But all the stuff I've seen so far from everybody tends to agree that "counter attacks" like March's also count as "follow up attacks".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So this seems like a pretty neat game about inspecting trash cans.

I think there's some other minigame stuff going on, but the core trash can gameplay is solid.

I don't know. The trash cans are alright, but I'm more of a mailbox person myself.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Fencingsax
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh jeez, March 7th can do some stupid things in simulated universe. Basically the first three paths all work wonderfully with her (because she shields, she heals, and she does follow up attacks), and Hunt is just generic damage buffs for everyone.

I'm not 100% sure but I think she actually doesn't do follow up attacks - the attacks she does when somebody hits a shielded friend are counters. Himeko for example does follow ups.

Counters are considered follow up attacks. It says so in-game.

When looking at a characters skills in the character screen you can click on the skill description to see what any underlined term means.

Fencingsax
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Much easier to burn stamina in this game compared to Genshin with the inclusion of auto-battle. Turn on high speed, auto battle, and watch Seele basically solo all six waves in under thirty seconds

The final discounted banner pull got me Clara. Who at first glance looking at the character list, I kind of wanted because she sort of reminded me of Klee.

Well she sure ain't Klee. But after giving her a test run, I think I love the character schtick all the same. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Feldorn
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So does this have any multiplayer coop or just a single player affair?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Oh jeez, March 7th can do some stupid things in simulated universe. Basically the first three paths all work wonderfully with her (because she shields, she heals, and she does follow up attacks), and Hunt is just generic damage buffs for everyone.

I'm not 100% sure but I think she actually doesn't do follow up attacks - the attacks she does when somebody hits a shielded friend are counters. Himeko for example does follow ups.

I was fairly sure I was getting procs for Elation off it, huh.

I'm just going by what the talents themselves tell me. Wikis aren't really populated yet so who knows, maybe counters are a type of follow up or it's a bug or something else.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't read page 4. Guess they are follow ups then.

Mirkel on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to spend all your stamina every day grinding the repeatable content to keep your account level up.

That's the glowy flowers, right?

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to spend all your stamina every day grinding the repeatable content to keep your account level up.

That's the glowy flowers, right?

Yep. Luckily you can teleport right to them any time and there's auto-battle available along with doing fights in batches of 6. With a good team you can wipe out all your stamina in a couple minutes.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    You guys are way ahead of me.

Do you guys level through grinding xp at all, or is it primarily mats?

I'm heavily assuming it's exactly like Genshin. XP from fighting is a god damn rounding error. You want to level, you do it through the mats, and you grind the mats.

one of the greatest sins of modern gacha games is that they have obliterated the sensation of combat xp and instead ask you to feed your blorbos 100 chococoins

TransporterFencingsaxShadowfireBloodsheedMagic PinkMaddocFremWheatBun01
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I just pulled Welt off my second 10 pull on the standard banner. Combine that with getting Bronya on the discount banner and I think I just hit the gacha jackpot with getting two of the most meta chars super early.
    I might have to rethink my plan of waiting for the silver fox banner; not sure I really need another support right now!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My guaranteed 5* was clara, who apparently just pals around with a terminator

Feldorn
    Built some more characters and made a new team comprised of Seele, Natasha, Serval, and March. Survivability went way up and between Seele+Serval things die quickly. Once I get Fire Trailblazer I'll swap him with March since her shields aren't that great outside Sim Universe.

Currently Rank 22 after doing some character quests, hoping that tomorrow I can hit 24 between dailies and some more quests so I can advance the story.

Should I be using ore for the rail passes?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

I'm not sure what ore is referring to.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

Only for the limited edition event ones.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    So does this have any multiplayer coop or just a single player affair?

just single

agoaj
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I’m assuming that’s the only thing you should use the stellar ore on? That seems true in most gachas. Looks like 1600 is a 10 pull. I’m also guessing that I want to save it for the premium banners and will just periodically get enough of the tickets for the standard banner?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've just made it to the city so I only have done 40/50 pulls on the beginning banner so far. I got Asta who seems ok, along with a Dan Heng and Serval constellation. Both of them are pretty alright so them with MC and March have been fine but I also haven't done any of difficult fights yet.

That said, I met Serval in the city and her little inventor gig makes me love her even more.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I’m assuming that’s the only thing you should use the stellar ore on? That seems true in most gachas. Looks like 1600 is a 10 pull. I’m also guessing that I want to save it for the premium banners and will just periodically get enough of the tickets for the standard banner?

Yeah. The gacha looks to be basically identical to Genshin overall (hardly a surprise). Various stuff will give tickets for the standard banner for free, while tickets for the limited banners look to be mainly from events or ore (or $$$). You can also exchange the currency from making pulls (starlight and embers) for more tickets of both types. (There's a 5/month limit for the embers exchange, make sure to buy the limited tickets out of that before it resets in a few days. If you have enough you can buy the standard tickets too) I'm holding off on spending starlight since it can be used for 5* light cones in the shop or the rotating 4* characters (currently Asta and Arlan, we'll see what the rotation pattern is...)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Mirkel
    Now that I can spend these normal tickets on the normal banner, I noticed something interesting. There's a little rewards link on it. Turns out if you manage to do 300 pulls on it, you can then one time pick any of the current 5*'s you want. 300 pulls is still a long way away, since in general you should never ever spend gems or money on it. Still nice to know that's there, either to grab somebody you're missing or get a free eidolon level.

PolaritieShadowfireMagic Pink
    So Welt+Bronya combo is suitably busted as expected. Welt slows and imprisons enemies while Bronya buffs speed, attack, and crit for our team as well as giving Welt (or a dps) a second attack every turn. The second attack per turn makes ultimates show up much faster, which further slows and imprisons everything. The only issue is it’s very skill point hungry so I need some better point gen options, but otherwise I’m pretty happy!
    Definitely feeling the xp pinch though; going to need multiple days of grinding to level all these peeps.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    edited April 2023
    I yolo drained all of my stuff on selle and got nothing so now I can ignore the gacha mechanic for a month at least!

Though I got most of the 3* cones for superposition V at least. Still not entirely sure which ones are worth using or if they’re better than s1 versions of the 4* cones I have. There’s a very dragalia lost element to these that will take a bit to understand.

Oh also found my uic 600347186

initiatefailure on
    ShadowfireMagic Pink
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I yolo drained all of my stuff on selle and got nothing so now I can ignore the gacha mechanic for a month at least!

Though I got most of the 3* cones for superposition V at least. Still not entirely sure which ones are worth using or if they’re better than s1 versions of the 4* cones I have. There’s a very dragalia lost element to these that will take a bit to understand.

If it's anything like Genshin, the s1 4* cones will pull out ahead on most damage dealers just for the higher base stats

but maybe some of the s5 3* cones will have good enough effects that you would want to hold onto them, especially for supports

Edit: like the "boost to party's attack for X turns at the start of battle" seems really nice for your buffer characters

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Polaritie
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    On the one hand, my usual luck seems to be carrying over to this game. 40 pulls on the Discount Banner, 4 purples. 1 on the Seele, 1 purple.

But I did get 2 extra Servals. So I shot her up to 20, along with a purple cone to match, but not the event one.

Haven't even left the station yet.

ph blake wrote: »

If it's anything like Genshin, the s1 4* cones will pull out ahead on most damage dealers just for the higher base stats

but maybe some of the s5 3* cones will have good enough effects that you would want to hold onto them, especially for supports

Edit: like the "boost to party's attack for X turns at the start of battle" seems really nice for your buffer characters

Chorus (3* Harmony) just says "increases party attack by 8-12% at start of battle". It doesn't have a turn count listed.

I'm trying to figure out this Yanqing guy. Seems like his bread and butter is using his skill to get a buff for 1 turn, which gives him a 50% chance to do a follow up attack. First I thought this only triggered off his normal attack so I alternated, but it triggers off his skill. So spam the skill to keep the buff and do extra damage. But just like a coin flip it is stupidly streaky and I have seen the thing wiff 10+ times in a row. I thought maybe it just doesn't trigger on a killing blow, so I started specifically paying attention. Even for a minute second guessed myself in thinking it actually doesn't trigger when you use the skill again. Nope, just tails tails tails tails tails head tails tails tails... And that ignores the other small issues. He loses the buff if he gets hit, so better have a tank or a shield. Don't put him next to the tank in case the enemy has a cleaving attack. Oh and any dot on him utterly neuters his ability. Now all those last bits aren't entirely negatives. That's just team building, give the kid the right environment and watch him shine. As he keeps flipping a coin and having it come up tails.

I’ve been using the physical hunt girl today and first off her ultimate is an amazing graphical display if you haven’t seen it. She seems to eat up SP but does a LOT of damage to broken enemies

Fencingsax
    Oh, it's called stellar jade. No wonder I was confused.

uyvfOQy.png
    I like it when an elite mob/boss summons a bunch of little adds like an absolute moron, and Seele just gets to go full sicko mode.

She just took 6 turns in a row, absolutely hilarious

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Magic Pink
    I like it when an elite mob/boss summons a bunch of little adds like an absolute moron, and Seele just gets to go full sicko mode.

She just took 6 turns in a row, absolutely hilarious

Boss summons a bunch of those bomb mech enemies

Serval has her Ultimate up

Fencingsax
    Useful video on the utility of Harmony and Nihility relative to more traditional dps roles:

It's hilarious that by day two all of the guides/wiki/videos had already given up any pretense of working with non-whales. They all put up one F2P thing then washed their hands of it.

uyvfOQy.png
    Fencingsax
    Yeah, someone had mentioned Tingyun earlier in the thread and she's really, really good.
    1) She straight adds a percent of her attack to your DPS character for 3 turns.
    2) That character gets an extra hit of lightning damage when they attack (which counts the buff of #1)
    3) She adds an extra hit to her own attack scaling off the buffed ally's attack (which counts the buff of #1)
    And that's just what her skill does.

Feldorn
    It's hilarious that by day two all of the guides/wiki/videos had already given up any pretense of working with non-whales. They all put up one F2P thing then washed their hands of it.

Braxophone has a good mix of F2P and whale teams

This site has some pretty good general info, with basic team comps (main f2p comp and then how to build around each 5* with f2p units), early progression guide, etc

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    From what I can tell, Dan Heng is solid, Asta is solid, March 7th is solid, Natasha is solid. Investing in them should not set us back long-term.

I'm also investing in Serval for lightning. I was using MC but I'm not going to keep upgrading their Destruction path and will use the Preservation side instead.

Clara as well since she is my 5*. My only complaint is that she can be a bit slower since a lot of her damage comes from the counters.

I kinda wanted to get the next banner character but I kinda want to see what the 4* units are and may decide to pull for Seele instead since I don't feel like I'm missing AoE damage.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    rip

Got my first 5* off the standard banner, and it was Bailu's 5* light cone

That said, Bailu was my 5* off the discount banner so it could be worse?

FUN STORY TIME
    Started the game up day one, went through, got Welt who was one of my most wanted 5*s, was wondering why my ping was steadily 100+ but just chalked it up to day one stuff.

Played for four hours or so, logged off, login screen says Europe. That's right! I somehow accidentally started on the Europe server!

Had to restart the next day and ended up with Bailu instead, who I didn't give a shit about but is apparently good so whatever, ugh.

Just wanted Welt, Bronya, or Himeko :(

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh also, Star Rail getting Elysian Realm (Simulated Universe) right from launch makes it even more insane that Genshin hasn't gotten anything similar.

MirkeleMoander
    edited April 2023
    Madican wrote: »

Braxophone has a good mix of F2P and whale teams
    This site has some pretty good general info, with basic team comps (main f2p comp and then how to build around each 5* with f2p units), early progression guide, etc

The problem is there's only 8 fully free characters, so those all boil down to having Natasha and Trailblazer Fire in your party 100% of the time, then eliminate the two horrible characters (Herta and Qinque) and you're down to 2 spots and 4 characters. So the bold strategy everyone suggests is 'swap between those 4 based on elements needed' which is real galaxy brain advice.

And 4/8 of the 5 star team builds require a 4 star that's not guaranteed. Even better, the two Clara teams suggested are actively wrong, on top of one requiring the non-guaranteed character.

Meanwhile you can find multiple thesis length posts and hour long videos about how to maximize your Seele/Bronya/Bailu/X team.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png