Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    That Ice sword boy is also who I just got.

How much does this game seem to care about same elemental vs broad coverage teams? I’m just not sure if using him + march is too much overlap on ice

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Little overlap is fine, enemies have multiple weaknesses instead of just one so you can get away with two of the same for general content. Mono teams could be a thing going forward depending on harder content.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It seems best to have them all different types while just running through the story. I've gotten wrecked and had to redo battles thanks to being unable to break an enemy.

Once there's a wiki up with stats for every enemy in the repeatable modes, I'm sure you could build specific teams with only the narrow coverage you need.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Well hot damn. Just managed to roll Seele with the gold ticket from logging in today. Quantum element and a very powerful single-target Hunt Path boss killer will definitely come in handy.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    finally got a quantum element character after feeling like just about every enemy was vulnerable to quantum for the longest time.
    Qingque seems fun so far, attacks by playing mahjong and I am digging the rng of drawing tiles.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i got the weird alchemist girl that removes debuffs, Himeko who is an absolute beast that i love and that super creepy dog boy as my 5 star

he scares me i don't like it i wanted the lil purple healy girl

i like that march 7th is a walking trans pride flag too

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i got the weird alchemist girl that removes debuffs, Himeko who is an absolute beast that i love and that super creepy dog boy as my 5 star

he scares me i don't like it i wanted the lil purple healy girl

i like that march 7th is a walking trans pride flag too

Ok so it’s not just me that immediately went “honey new trans pride rep just dropped” nice

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't make that connection until right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Some of these formidable foes are no joke. I'm liking the balance they are striking where there are optional difficult battles sprinkled in between the face-roll story stuff. I know they want to keep it accessible for casual players and this seems like a good compromise.
    I do wish they could give a little more heads up on the monster weaknesses before going into battle. Sometimes it shows up if you run up to them and then run away, but its pretty finicky. It does seem like the weaknesses are consistent per enemy, so eventually I assume we'll just be able to recognize them by eye.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    This game is surprisingly quirky (though I guess I'm not sure why I'm surprised given Genshin). A lot of really snarky dialog upon investigating mundane objects and like...an entire dialog tree with the narrator about climbing into a wardrobe closet? Just got a special avatar because I interacted with a lot of these things. Big fan so far.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    i keep saying this as honky star rail and the blatant lack of any people of color makes me wanna keep doing it

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Given that Mihoyo is a Chinese company and half the characters names are Chinese/Asian, I don't think the intention is that they are all white and its just that the art style makes Asian features less distinguishable. I agree some darker skinned characters would be welcome, but I don't think its accurate to say that they are pushing a purely caucasian/european ethnicity on us.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    My starter banner 5* was a healer so I'm pretty happy about that. Didn't have a way to heal otherwise and some of those formidable fights were touch and go without it.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Did the first world level raise and leveled up some talents. There seems to be always just barely enough materials to keep my party of four leveled but no more, so I guess I'm more or less stuck with these guys for a while. Which is a shame, I have a bunch of 4*s I'd like to try out but no realistic way of bringing even one of them to a combat ready state with my resources.

Using Trailblazer, Dan Heng, Himeko and Natasha. I'd love to replace Dan with one more woman but my only other hunter is physical and there's no way I'd use three physicals in the same team. So guess he gets to stay for now.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Also, friend ID: 601104050

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    eMoander wrote: »
    Given that Mihoyo is a Chinese company and half the characters names are Chinese/Asian, I don't think the intention is that they are all white and its just that the art style makes Asian features less distinguishable. I agree some darker skinned characters would be welcome, but I don't think its accurate to say that they are pushing a purely caucasian/european ethnicity on us.

Their other game has a kingdom based on India that is 99% white people tho

i guess to match the other 3 kingdoms that are 99% white people

edit: i don't think for a second they're pushing anything just that they're insanely tone deaf

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    This game is surprisingly quirky (though I guess I'm not sure why I'm surprised given Genshin). A lot of really snarky dialog upon investigating mundane objects and like...an entire dialog tree with the narrator about climbing into a wardrobe closet? Just got a special avatar because I interacted with a lot of these things. Big fan so far.

I'm currently embroiled in a cold war with the Garbage King over raiding trash cans. He even sent me a postcard in one of them warning me to stop.

But I never will

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I found the equivalent of ley lines. The fight is against fire and ice birds. I have Herta, and I find out you can take an overleveled support character from another person, so I pick Himiko. And this is where I find out how broken the two are. Turns out Himiko's counter attack when you do 3 elemental weakness attacks... can trigger her own counter attack. And the number goes up per attack. So like her drone would attack 3 ice bats and kill everything, next wave is 2 fire/2 ice, the drone attack again, doesn't kill the fire bats but does take them below 50%, which triggers Herta's spin counter... which is elemental and triggers the drone again! Holy frijoles. Eventually this feedback loop stops. On a wave with 3 ice bats. Pop Himiko's ult, and lets rev this chainsaw back up again.

Got a good glimpse of the bullshit you can get up to. I'm down to my last 10 pulls on the discount banner and now I'm kind of hoping I get Himiko. In the meantime though I threw a few tickets at the character banner, and actually hit paydirt with a 5*. I don't remember the guy's name, some young ice Hunt kid who attacks with a sword. He kind of reminds me of a more peppy Xingqui.

Update: With a properly leveled Herta who can actually finish off what the drone counter can't, this will absolutely auto win the entire fight most of the time.

So I know what I'll be doing with my stamina in the short term. I love that you can just spend 60 stamina in one go, and then just auto battle the whole thing (and that's ignoring the literal auto battle option as well!). Just grind out a quick collection of exp books and pump everybody up to 20-30. It's funny to come to this from a solid 2 years of collecting in Genshin. I've got a bazillion exp books there and can snap any new character up to max level. Here it's like... oh yeah, I ain't got shit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Just finished simulated world 2 and that place doesn't hold its punches at all. It says recommended level 35 and then murders you when you go in with level 35-40 team. After that it's "oh you lost? well we have this system that might be useful ...", go in again, trounce the elite that murdered me last time and a really tense fight against the end boss pair. Tons of fun, thought the fight was a bit long for my tastes. Some people say the combat is too simple with three abilities per character but I find the overall complexity to be in a good place, especially when you need to react to what the enemies are doing and do your ultimates at the right time. Animations are so good too, I could (and have been) watch(ing) Himeko's orbital cannon fire all day long. The harder fights do feel like there's no way to do them with just March 7th's shields, Natasha's skill kit is a bit boring but when her ult heals for 2000 I don't mind.

Hit the point cap for this week with that too so no need to grind it until next week. I do need to level up one more dps with a different element at some point, I couldn't touch one boss's weakness meter at all in the final fight and it really makes chewing through all their hp a slog.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, I swapped March 7th out for Bailu. AoE healing is really good for a lot of these harder enemies.

I see some interesting stuff in March's upgrades, but enough enemies are going AoE pew pew pew that I need someone who can deal with that. (Though admittedly nothing stops March from shielding multiple people and all. I'll probably work on her later when I have more options to work with)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I got Clara with my beginner banner.

Of the non-free units so far I have Hook, who looks to be a solid fire DPS, and Qingque who I don't fully understand but I hear good things. I think Hook would be quite nice with the Peppy Light Cone.

• Options
    Hold up. I just found a voiced NPC and that voice is DEFINITELY Garnt aka Gigguk

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, I swapped March 7th out for Bailu. AoE healing is really good for a lot of these harder enemies.

I see some interesting stuff in March's upgrades, but enough enemies are going AoE pew pew pew that I need someone who can deal with that. (Though admittedly nothing stops March from shielding multiple people and all. I'll probably work on her later when I have more options to work with)

The biggest problem in using March as the sole "healer" is that her ult is an AE nuke instead of something defensive. Natasha can save the whole team from certain doom when bosses have 4 moves in a row and they start with a massive AE, she can just drop an AE heal there between the enemy attacks like no big deal. March is also helped by the fact the simulated world card sets massively favor her with one set of cards being solely about shields and another being about freezing and she has both. But even that's not enough when there's 400+ damage AEs.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    March can be fun paired with Clara to try and get as many followup attacks as possible, but she isn't enough to be a sole support for harder fights.

• Options
    Trailblazer Fire, March, Natasha is the defensive F2P team of choice. Throw on whatever damage dealer you've got that breaks the boss or the most enemies.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Hold up. I just found a voiced NPC and that voice is DEFINITELY Garnt aka Gigguk

I ran into this guy last night and it sort of broke my brain for a second

But yeah, started playing this cause I'm a slave to gacha, pretty fun so far! The turn based combat is snappy and satisfying in a way that reminds me of the first time I played a modern SMT game, and being able to actually play on my phone at work is a huge plus.

Had some luck in the initial limited banner and got Himeko + Seele back to back (I assume it's the same 50/50 into guarantee with as Genshin; nice that it gave me both within 40 pulls though), and still have the newbie discount banner to work my way through. While Himeko is alright (excellent design though), I'm mostly using only her if I need to break a fire weakness while Seele murders everything. Cause uh, holy fuck is Seele good at murdering everything: Seele + [insert whatever element you need here] + March + the 4* healer just chews through anything I've fought so far.

Story wise things are whatever, but I am liking the overall tone and kind of deadpan weirdness of the MC, watching my character go through an existential breakdown over filling out a hotel customer satisfaction survey was pretty fun.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So this seems like a pretty neat game about inspecting trash cans.

I think there's some other minigame stuff going on, but the core trash can gameplay is solid.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am not sure which character is my 5*

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I am not sure which character is my 5*

When you go to change your party, and you're looking at the little list of all your members, 4*'s have a purple background and 5*'s have a gold background.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the writing they're going for is pretty alright here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNJyKHUNaPA

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Oh jeez, March 7th can do some stupid things in simulated universe. Basically the first three paths all work wonderfully with her (because she shields, she heals, and she does follow up attacks), and Hunt is just generic damage buffs for everyone.

But it sure is funny beating the second level's boss by just freeze locking them, finding a boon that causes ultimates to make enemies weak to ice (and thus all of March's kit), etc. Then I ran it again to complete the points for the week and Elation is no less dumb when it adds a giant pile of damage to all of March's counter attack arrows. (Also, the "ultimates count as follow ups" boon makes her ultimate tear through minions like crazy)

Of course, just using March+Bailu makes me damn near invincible anyways, even if fights go slower. It would have worked less well without all the silly buffs she gets in there, but I could have traded Tingyun out for another damage source.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I only got through simulated world 2 just now aggressively stacking freeze boons and the path ability. That sure is some fight for recommended party level 35

I hit a quest wall so i just need to do "stuff" for 1.5 levels I guess. a yanqing, pela, march, natasha stack is really mean when they freeze everything and splash ice damage everywhere

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Hit a bit of a wall in story. I'm at Trailblazer 19 and can't unlock the next story mission until Trailblazer 24. So that's gonna take a while

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You guys are way ahead of me.

Do you guys level through grinding xp at all, or is it primarily mats?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You guys are way ahead of me.

Do you guys level through grinding xp at all, or is it primarily mats?

I'm heavily assuming it's exactly like Genshin. XP from fighting is a god damn rounding error. You want to level, you do it through the mats, and you grind the mats.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Hit a bit of a wall in story. I'm at Trailblazer 19 and can't unlock the next story mission until Trailblazer 24. So that's gonna take a while

20 unlocks the next tier of progression on a lot of stuff. I ended up burning a lot of stamina leveling people, which got me a fair bit of xp on that.

• Options
    Yeah, you need to spend all your stamina every day grinding the repeatable content to keep your account level up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So this seems like a pretty neat game about inspecting trash cans.

I think there's some other minigame stuff going on, but the core trash can gameplay is solid.

I feel pretty confident in saying this game has the most trashcan-oriented narrative in the history of games.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Oh jeez, March 7th can do some stupid things in simulated universe. Basically the first three paths all work wonderfully with her (because she shields, she heals, and she does follow up attacks), and Hunt is just generic damage buffs for everyone.

I'm not 100% sure but I think she actually doesn't do follow up attacks - the attacks she does when somebody hits a shielded friend are counters. Himeko for example does follow ups.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure but I think she actually doesn't do follow up attacks - the attacks she does when somebody hits a shielded friend are counters. Himeko for example does follow ups.

I was fairly sure I was getting procs for Elation off it, huh.