Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Ultimately, if it goes the Genshin route (and it will), none of the content is gonna be difficult enough for the toppest top tier meta stuff to matter

Fire Trailblazer, Dan Heng, Natasha, Asta will probably be enough to get you through like damn near everything I bet

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I guess we'll see, I never played Genshin, so no experience there. Every other gacha I've played has eventually begun balancing content exclusively for the whales, with free teams only being able to 'technically' clear later additions by jumping through a ridiculous number of hoops.

It's just the speed that the audience has already shifted there that's amusing/depressing to see. I'm already seeing screenshots of maxed all 5 star teams clearing the final bits of content currently in the game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    In Genshin one of the most reliable teams from launch until current day is all 4* characters, and there's basically no truly difficult content

Honkai Impact the only thing that requires meta units and gear is if you really want to sweat it out at the highest ranks of Abyss and Memorial Arena (I have every unit in Honkai and I still can't be assed to do that)

4* vs 5* is, I guarantee to you, going to just be the difference between clearing something and clearing it faster, that is all

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I guess we'll see, I never played Genshin, so no experience there. Every other gacha I've played has eventually begun balancing content exclusively for the whales, with free teams only being able to 'technically' clear later additions by jumping through a ridiculous number of hoops.

It's just the speed that the audience has already shifted there that's amusing/depressing to see. I'm already seeing screenshots of maxed all 5 star teams clearing the final bits of content currently in the game.

For that last part it's definitely because Genshin was/is stupidly super popular, and Genshin youtubers eventually discovered that clickbait whale bullshit got the most views by far, and this game is basically "turn based genshin in space" so all the wanna be content creators already know the score.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    One of the endgame grinds literally requires you clear it faster for better rewards, but I guess we'll see how future free units fare. The all stall shield lineup so far isn't great for that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    So, I'll use Honkai as an example because I think it has something a little similar, and because Genshin is pretty lacking in weekly repeatable rewards

One of the main weekly events in Honkai is Abyss, and depending on where you rank in it you will get more or less rewards. This is largely ranked against other players, and you get placed into different tiers.

mlq66w016sma.jpg
    Currently you can see here I'm in Agony III, it's where I sit when I'm feeling too lazy to actually try.

So, twice a week I'm in Agony III I will get these rewards, note that unlike Genshin and Star Rail, a single pull in Honkai is 280 crystals.
    bqh1re09ho83.jpg

Honestly, pretty much any end game player can maintain Agony III pretty reliably I feel like, but if I'm feeling a bit more active I can usually hang in Redlotus, and get these biweekly rewards instead
    0wvcuvhabhr1.jpg

And the real whales and sweatiest of players can rank up to the top tier, Nirvana, I've actually never managed to rank up here, I've come close a couple times but meh
    wir98c732s9e.jpg

So there certainly are better rewards for the highest ranked players, but not enough for it to be a massively significant difference.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    From what I've seen, though it does clearly get some elements from Genshin this game is done by the Honkai team. So what that means for difficulty of content and viability of characters is going to depend largely on how Honkai stuff goes more than how Genshin goes.

• Options
    Abyss, the stuff I just posted, is basically the most "Stronger teams gets you better rewards thing" in the game.

Elysian Realm, Honkai's version of Simulated Universe, also rewards you with better stuff for being able to clear more difficult versions, but getting all of the currency rewards is doable for most end game accounts, even if they can't clear the highest difficulty.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Welp, found the Relic mines. Eternal grind ahead, once again.

Also I got a crap 5* light cone that seems to be only good for Gepard (from the standard banner), and Clara (from the limited). Not super happy about either. :/

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    FUN STORY TIME
    Started the game up day one, went through, got Welt who was one of my most wanted 5*s, was wondering why my ping was steadily 100+ but just chalked it up to day one stuff.

Played for four hours or so, logged off, login screen says Europe. That's right! I somehow accidentally started on the Europe server!

I don't think it was accidental! When I predownloaded the game it told me that it chose the 'best' server based on my location and it defaulted to Europe. I'm glad I noticed this as I am not anywhere near Europe as much as I wouldn't mind it.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Mirkel wrote: »

Also I got a crap 5* light cone that seems to be only good for Gepard (from the standard banner), and Clara (from the limited). Not super happy about either. :/

It's decent for March 7th as well, but it's also very good for Fire Trailblazer

Also Clara is Destruction, not Preservation

Maddoc on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I'm a little afraid to try this and get sucked in, time-wise (which is why I've still never tried Genshin, although I always feel like I'm close), but hot damn is it mega tempting to get in at the start of something new. I have a tiny little bit of time to decide, because I'm definitely not playing until the PS5 version launches.

Watched some streams today. And just watched another hour+ of YouTube impressions and beginner tips videos. Hope to hear more about the console launch soon.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    I've now pulled four copies of Pela and literally nothing else. She's my entire non-free roster. And I'm ~160 pulls in.

I guess I'll just start saving for the next big character in a month or two, if I'm still playing then.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So far I like this a lot better then Genshin

• Options
    First planet done. I see the musical score is pretty good when it comes to big epic fights.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

It's decent for March 7th as well, but it's also very good for Fire Trailblazer

Also Clara is Destruction, not Preservation

No, I meant I got both the stupid 5* weapon and Clara.

• Options
    Oh!

Clara is pretty rad honestly

Her counters are follow up attacks for Simulated Universe stuff, give that light cone to March 7th and have her slap big beefy taunt shields onto Clara and grab Preservation/Elation blessings

• Options
    Looking up damage simulation numbers for Dan Heng vs other DPS has me feeling pretty confident about my assessment that you can just clear everything with free characters

He barely falls a few % behind Seele

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Looking up damage simulation numbers for Dan Heng vs other DPS has me feeling pretty confident about my assessment that you can just clear everything with free characters

He barely falls a few % behind Seele

Yeah. The main thing you need with him is a way to activate his passive reliably, but there's so many people who can do that. Natasha's heal/cleanse would do it for instance. His skill inflicting slow is pretty useful too just generally to reduce enemy actions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    601751578 is my ID.

Got Seele in the first 20. Got Bailu from the Discount Banner.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    First planet minor funny spoiler
    you can find 7 wanted posters in the administration district, 2 of Dan, 2 of march, 2 of sampo, and 1 of mc. A, they are all hilarious. B, if you find all 7 then talk to pela and gepard you get a profile icon that is the mic wanted poster and it is hilarious.

Also there’s a blood borne reference in river town that broke me emotionally

The writing in this game is weirdly great. I’ve seen the writing in genshin when my partner plays! That writing is not good.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Oh man I didn't know about the portrait

That said, I don't know if it'll replace my trashcan

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Hit level 24 today so I can continue the main story. Got a couple March 7th Eidolons from the discount/standard banner and E2 gives a shield on battle start to the lowest HP person, which is quite nice.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    First planet done. I see the musical score is pretty good when it comes to big epic fights.

The music score in general seems to be pretty good. I usually mute music in 95% of games I play Genshin included but so far I've kept music on in HSR.

Almost finished with first planet, just the usual post-boss fight stuff feel-good bits left. Been trying out Clara a bit but she doesn't get to do much in general trash fights and I already did my three boss fights for the week.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Got Bronya from my beginner banner. Seems like she'll be busted once I get a strong dps character. Even now using her skill with Dan Heng is working out pretty well.

Looking at the subreddit I guess the next banner character is pretty good and synergizes really well with Bronya so I think I'll skip out on the Seele banner and just save up for that one.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I am officially in love with shushang even over the 5* hunt guy I have. At first I wasn’t seeing the big deal of hunt over destro/erudition but good lorde does she do a lot of damage and just all the extra procs on broken enemies makes for some wild skill, ult, skill sequences since ult advances her next turn

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    rip

Got my first 5* off the standard banner, and it was Bailu's 5* light cone

That said, Bailu was my 5* off the discount banner so it could be worse?

FUN STORY TIME
    Started the game up day one, went through, got Welt who was one of my most wanted 5*s, was wondering why my ping was steadily 100+ but just chalked it up to day one stuff.

Played for four hours or so, logged off, login screen says Europe. That's right! I somehow accidentally started on the Europe server!

Had to restart the next day and ended up with Bailu instead, who I didn't give a shit about but is apparently good so whatever, ugh.

Just wanted Welt, Bronya, or Himeko :(

This is terrifying, as this is literally the exact same thing I did at first.

Saw a big Ping, chalked it up to launch, pulled till my first 5*, got Welt, logged out and saw I was in Europe....

We diverge on the America’s tho, went through and got Gespard? Ice tank bro....so I guess we didn’t diverge that much since they are both male ice characters lol.

I too just wanted Bronya or Himeko, but would be fine with the Honkai 3rd protagonistimean Welt.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Man, Herta and her follow-up attacks are somewhat nutty. The fact that she will automatically add swings to her attack if her follow-up drops an enemy below 50% makes for some fun instant fight-enders. And it's AOE.

I also appreciate getting two copies of the 4* light cone +damage for followup attacks +extra damage if enemy below 50%, as that light cone seems to be made for Herta.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I've only gotten my one guaranteed 5* and done another 50+ pulls after

this has some pretty terrible rates

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah I’m in the same spot. At least the gacha seems superfluous to me at least at this stage of the game

• Options
    So, yeah the 5* rate is pitifully low, it has a soft pity system where after 70 pulls the 5* rate steadily increases and you are guaranteed a 5* by 90.

This counter also carries between banners, so there's largely no such thing as "wasted" pulls.

• Options

It's exactly the same gacha design as in Genshin: low income, low rates, good pity mechanics and characters that are fairly well balanced for a gacha game so you don't really need to get the new shiny 5*. Also fairly slow rate of introducing new units but polishing them to perfection.

I guess they were happy with the ridiculous amounts of money Genshin is making and decided to go with the same gambling parameters.

• Options
    So, yeah the 5* rate is pitifully low, it has a soft pity system where after 70 pulls the 5* rate steadily increases and you are guaranteed a 5* by 90.

This counter also carries between banners, so there's largely no such thing as "wasted" pulls.

Does this count between the standard and whatever premium ones are running or are those separate? I’m pretty sure I have over 90 between both but it wouldn’t shock me if those were separate.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Does this count between the standard and whatever premium ones are running or are those separate? I’m pretty sure I have over 90 between both but it wouldn’t shock me if those were separate.

Separate. The current limited banners will carry over into the next one of the same type.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Man, Herta and her follow-up attacks are somewhat nutty. The fact that she will automatically add swings to her attack if her follow-up drops an enemy below 50% makes for some fun instant fight-enders. And it's AOE.

I also appreciate getting two copies of the 4* light cone +damage for followup attacks +extra damage if enemy below 50%, as that light cone seems to be made for Herta.

https://youtu.be/Sy7-_uj125w

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I kind of appreciate they voiced 2 different versions of her "Time to twirl!". But you really start wishing she'd say something else after a while.

I'm trying to figure out if, when you turn on double speed, are they just speeding up the regular lines? Or did they go to the crazy effort of recording specifically shorter lines just for that? Utimates are definitely shorter lines at any rate, but other quips also seem to sound different.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

While I like that the game is 90% a basic jrpg, if I have to use the starting party for months I'm going to get bored and frustrated.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

While I like that the game is 90% a basic jrpg, if I have to use the starting party for months I'm going to get bored and frustrated.

At worst, every 20 pulls on a character banner will get you one of the 3 featured 4*'s, with new characters being rolled out always. Slowly but surely you will eventually get a good collection. And even then they're giving away like 3 or 4 others for the various tasks you can do. Genshin even gives away the odd free 4* now and then, I'm sure this'll too. You won't be stuck with the same 4 people.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Also there's a free Herta, free Qingque and free Natasha from various milestones. Maybe free Asta too, I forgot. I know I have 14 different characters by now, +1 different Trailblazer variant. At this point the issue is more "can't build so many" than "don't have anybody to choose from".

• Options
    I have pulled the same 4 star character every single time.

I'd also consider all the free characters you get at the start the starting party. A few are useless and one literally locks out using another.

uyvfOQy.png