Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    heh, so since I'm using Jingliu more than Seele, I ended up stealing Seele's amazing 5* attack/crit dmg rope for her and gave Seele a serviceable, but purple rope. I felt bad for poor Seele who carried my team on her back through months of content... and I got an attack rope of the right flavor, figured I'd maybe try to replace it. Roll it up to level 3... it gains a Crit Damage stat! Roll it up to max... Its crit damage is even higher than her old rope Jingliu stole!

So anyway I gave it to Jingliu and Seele got her old rope back. =P

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I accidentally got Topaz and Numby last night.

I knew I was in pity-range and was putting singles in the Seele banner (wanted another Quantum unit), ran out and got one more via embers. Being half-asleep after a long day, derped and spent it on the Topaz banner.

Probably for the best, right?

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I accidentally got Topaz and Numby last night.

I knew I was in pity-range and was putting singles in the Seele banner (wanted another Quantum unit), ran out and got one more via embers. Being half-asleep after a long day, derped and spent it on the Topaz banner.

Probably for the best, right?

As opposed to get Seele? Kinda depends. In a vacuum, Seele is certainly stronger, but Topaz works really well with a bunch of characters, and has future potential for when they release another really strong follow-up attacker; Imagine if someone does follow-ups as frequently and consistently as Kafka, but actually gets good damage out of them!

There's also an argument for Seele being more replaceable, since Qingque exists, and (at high eidolons) is situationally better than Seele. I do need to stress that it's situational, though; Qingque can't murder single targets as fast as Seele can, normally. And the current Memory of Chaos is very well suited to Seele. Because of course it is.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    That was mostly a silly rhetorical question rooted in regret about a stupid mistake.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the extrapolated response. I do have Qingque at E4 and built out pretty well, and I wasn’t even on Guaranteed Pity, so for all I know rolling on Seele would have just yielded another Bailu.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    That was mostly a silly rhetorical question rooted in regret about a stupid mistake.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the extrapolated response. I do have Qingque at E4 and built out pretty well, and I wasn’t even on Guaranteed Pity, so for all I know rolling on Seele would have just yielded another Bailu.

Gotcha. Then, congrats on at least winning the 50/50! I'm coming up to pity myself, and I'm hoping to get Topaz, but I don't really care that much. More than anything, I just want to reset my pity, so I can more safely roll for Hanya later without "wasting" the pity 5* on Argenti. Not that I'll be upset if he happens to show up randomly; I do enjoy big numbers!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Topaz is a hard carry in Elation sim runs - everything she(and Numby) does is considered a follow-up attack(including her basic attack when you get her trace), so I'm very happy I got her myself.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    You all are forgetting the best thing* about Topaz & Numby - Numby sniffs out chests in the overworld! I can't be the only one who can't be arsed to run around every little corner of the map looking for those last chests but Numby has a huge detection radius for them.

The second best thing about her is that unlike a certain lightning guy, Numby doesn't give a single heck about whether Topaz is CC'd or not, she'll just keep on murdering stuff while her master takes a nap.

*(Possibly not the actual best thing. Terms and conditions may apply. Your mileage may vary.)

Mirkel on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I love hunting for chests though. Like hell I'm gonna let that little pig ruin my fun.

Also re Topaz the next patch is bringing a new gear set for follow-up and DoT attackers so her power level is probably going up when those release

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    What good is a topaz, when I found those chests ages ago using bootstraps and American dream and whatnot

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Yeah, I was at 50 pity for Topaz. Then I realized that I don’t have the guarantee so I probably shouldn’t pick my free standard 5-star because why choose Welt or Gepard when I can wait and maybe get them both? Anyways, at 6070 pity now.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    FUA set is definitely the best for Topaz and Jing Yuan, and most likely the best for Himeko

Clara look elsewhere, although she might do 2pc Physical/2pc FUA

New planetary ornaments are also good, RIP Sprightly Vonwacq, and the speed one will be the new BIS for Seele and also maybe anyone who will always be paired with Asta. (aka Himeko likers get ready to farm an entire new set of relics and ornaments)

• Options
    I'm really happy with my Qingque, but ideally it would be nice if she had just a bit more speed. I think 4 more speed would be enough to give her two actions in the first cycle of MoC, considering the speed boost she gets after using an enhanced basic.

"Well, I'm not really in need of anything else, and we've got boosted relic drop rates right now. Lets hit up the old quantum domain".
    TyRpOzO.png

...Thank you, lord Gamblor.

• Options
    Was happily examining my Qingque's relics (not as good as AshtonDragon's of course) when I realized having 48.6% crit with Inert Salsotto set makes it ... well, inert. Had to craft new hat to fix that. Wish those things had some sort of red exclamation mark or something when they are not active. Another thing I dislike about the generally pretty good UI is that when you are browsing your massive pile of relics there's no way to see with a glance what main stat they have. The filters help but having a tiny icon showing the main stat in the corner of the relic would be so much better.

• Options
    Qingque has a particularly hard time reaching the crit thresholds for Insert Salsotto/Rutilant Arena, because she doesn't get any crit from her traces or light cone. It is worth noting though if you're regularly using her with Fu Xuan that the crit she grants does work to activate those relic sets. Honestly a big part of why I try to keep her over 70% is just because I have her as my support character. That, and the single-hitting nature of her attacks makes reliable crits a little more valuable to me than keeping a good ratio.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...so I guess I started playing this. Making a beeline through the story seems to be the recommended path to start out, right?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, you've got a ton of story to get through at this point. Try to make sure you start spending all your stamina as soon as that becomes an option. You also want to leave your characters about two levels below whatever their current max is, as you get a lot of free character exp doing story battles and clearing areas looking for chests.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Also you'll probably want to focus on 4-6 characters at first. Herta, Arlan and physical Trailblazer are pretty bad, everything else is alright at least. Even trailblazer's next form is decent so leveling him/her isn't a bad idea. You'll want to level a healer as soon as you get one, Natasha is not too bad if you don't get Lynx.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was at 50 pity for Topaz. Then I realized that I don’t have the guarantee so I probably shouldn’t pick my free standard 5-star because why choose Welt or Gepard when I can wait and maybe get them both? Anyways, at 6070 pity now.

So the thing about planning to lose a 50-50 is that, well, you shouldn't plan to lose a 50-50, especially losing it to get a specific character.

Anyways, got Topaz, and her little dog, too.

Gepard is still the easy choice, because I've got some unused Preservation Cones. I dislike micromanaging, so I'd really prefer to gear up anyone I might want to use and then adjust/upgrade when able. And I actually have more Nihility characters than Cones at the moment, so adding Welt is just...no.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Yeah, you've got a ton of story to get through at this point. Try to make sure you start spending all your stamina as soon as that becomes an option. You also want to leave your characters about two levels below whatever their current max is, as you get a lot of free character exp doing story battles and clearing areas looking for chests.

And one thing the game doesn't really make clear - once you unlock assignments, you're fine to start sending characters out immediately. Characters on assignments are not locked for use, so there's no drawback to sending them out even if you don't have a lot of characters initially.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    ...so I guess I started playing this. Making a beeline through the story seems to be the recommended path to start out, right?

At least until you unlock daily Assignments, yeah. But otherwise feel free to take your time, half the charm of this game is poking at everything shiny and talking to random people. You'll be surprised how much interesting stuff is tucked into various places.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2023
    Madican wrote: »

At least until you unlock daily Assignments, yeah. But otherwise feel free to take your time, half the charm of this game is poking at everything shiny and talking to random people. You'll be surprised how much interesting stuff is tucked into various places.

Oh yes, I have already investigated every single trashcan I come across.

Echo on
  • Options

Oh yes, I have already investigated every single trashcan I come across.

It might be heresy but I liked the WANTED posters a lot more than the trashcans.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    A lot of news about 1.6: https://www.reddit.com/r/HonkaiStarRail_leaks/comments/17snmqu/voice_of_the_galaxydeveloper_radio_special_edition/
    • Pure Fiction mode coming in 1.6, alternates every two weeks with a new MoC - kill endless waves of enemies to build a score
    • MoC increased to level 12, MoC and PF each last six weeks, instead of two
    • If you complete the previous MoC, it will automatically clear 1-7 for you on the next one
    • MoC and PF will give a new currency that can be traded for rewards, including Self-modeling Resin
    • New Relic leveling and filtering options

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    A lot of news about 1.6: https://www.reddit.com/r/HonkaiStarRail_leaks/comments/17snmqu/voice_of_the_galaxydeveloper_radio_special_edition/
    • Pure Fiction mode coming in 1.6, alternates every two weeks with a new MoC - kill endless waves of enemies to build a score
    • MoC increased to level 12, MoC and PF each last six weeks, instead of two
    • If you complete the previous MoC, it will automatically clear 1-7 for you on the next one
    • MoC and PF will give a new currency that can be traded for rewards, including Self-modeling Resin
    • New Relic leveling and filtering options

Holy crap. Those changes sound so good. I'm kind of in awe here.

My reading of your third bullet point is that you can basically start on floor 7, and clearing that automatically clears 1-6. And you don't need to clear everything to enable that; newer players who may only have cleared three or four floors can still take advantage of that by skipping to floor three or four in the following cycle.

Also, keeping MoC cycles available for a full six weeks is seriously genius. In addition to just giving you more time, it also gives us three times as much content to play and test with at any given time. So people who are trying to theorycraft how strong Topaz is aren't limited to just one challenge that was tailor made for her, for example.

• Options
    That's a lot of QoL stuff, I like it. New game mode for MoC is also a way to keep the game fresh so that's more than welcome. Also improvements to the BP.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    It sounds like they had a chance to double the bi-weekly refreshing content and instead halved it, along with the rewards. Now you just get an old MoC clogging up the screen for an extra month, along with a new mode that could be balanced for shit and is just another way to force pulling new characters. Killing infinite waves of enemies sounds like it will be fun for the E6S5 teams that zero turn clear everything, and impossible for everyone else, like every other multi wave event they've run so far.

Similarly there's a 50/50 chance the new rewards are either as worthless as the 4 star LCs I have endless currency for, or as hard time gated as the 5 star LCs, where gaining currency is a distraction and they should just be up front that you get one in a useful state every two months.

The honor pass thing extending with generic rewards is good though, been saying they should do that for a while now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    If you read the notes you'll find the rewards are actually being increased from MoC. Where do you get the idea they halved it?

• Options
    This new system is still getting the same refreshed content every two weeks, but the old “lockouts” if you will let me borrow the mmo term are sticking around so you can still work on and clear content you either couldn’t a few weeks ago or didn’t want to focus on for a few weeks. It’s literally just more flexibility and they also increased the rewards

• Options
    edited November 2023
    If you read the notes you'll find the rewards are actually being increased from MoC. Where do you get the idea they halved it?

Because there's two weeks where you don't get the MoC rewards you would've gotten normally. Now you've got to pull/level/build/gear multiple entirely new teams for an entirely new mode we have no experience with. And instead of just having them both premier with their new separate rewards at the same time, they're staggered, so you're getting 1/2 the MoC rewards you've gotten before, with no guarantee you can clear this new mode to get the rewards that should 'make up' for the MoC rewards that have been taken away.

I don't know why anyone would be excited about possibly getting the same rewards but more likely getting less, when they could've just increased the total amount of possible rewards instead. But that would actually be convenient and helpful and not an attempt to wring money out of you, so that was never happening.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I don't know why anyone would be excited about possibly getting the same rewards but more likely getting less, when they could've just increased the total amount of possible rewards instead. But that would actually be convenient and helpful and not an attempt to wring money out of you, so that was never happening.

- Variety is good.
    - If they just added the new mode on top of MoC, that would incentivize people to sink that much more time into this game every two weeks. It's very important for these kinds of games to not make people sink in too much of their time, as it is likely to result in people burning out.
    - While I could see some characters or teams being better on average in this mode than MoC, depending on how it works, it's not going to be to the extent that you will need to raise up whole new teams just for it. I'm confident I'll be able to keep on blasting these floors with Qingque, or Kafka, or Jingliu, or whoever.

The only possible downside to the changes is if the new mode is noticeably worse than Memory of Chaos, which is obviously possible. But there's nothing to gain from assuming the worst like that. If it's bad when it's released, we can complain about it then.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I'd like to play the game more than 10 minutes a day, which is all the current content level will allow. Doubling the bi-weekly refreshing content (staggering them each by a week would've been a good idea) would at least be something. On top of obviously giving more rewards.

If I had any of those characters ready to go with high eidolons/traces and good gear, maybe that would help. I guess now I've got the option to grind for six weeks to possibly maybe clear the new event to get the rewards I would've gotten just fine before. And all it takes is releasing a new element/path type with a busted light cone and making all the enemies resistant to the more common elements to stop that anyway.

This is only an improvement if you both spend money and don't want to play the game, which apparently accounts for way more of the population than I would've expected.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I dunno what to tell you. Mobile games are probably not where you should look for games to sink a lot of consecutive time. Star Rail's already on the long side compared to most, considering how long Memory of Chaos currently takes (several times longer than the comparable endgame in Genshin, which never got any new endgame mode or extra floors in the years since its release). Lots of people like just spending a bit of time on the game each day, maybe a little bit more when they have time to blast through an SU run or a few MoC floors, and then go about doing something else.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Aye I took topaz/Kafka/sw/loucha to the yanqing side of floor 8 and they kind of demolished it. They’re both less built up than my hyper carry team was on side A but did it much faster cycle wise with all of their extra attacks I think.

I was only able to 2* that one last time and this time just very comfortable got through it

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Guoba Certified did some analysis of the new Planar and Cavern sets. Basically sums up as

Cavern
    Grand Duke is a BiS upgrade for Himeko, Jing Yuan, Topaz. Unsure about Herta. No for Clara.
    Prisoner in Deep Confinement is a BiS upgrade for Kafka and basically any character that relies on DoT for damage.

Planar
    Penacony is an upgrade for any unit that runs Vonwacq set already, but not for units that favor Fleet/Keel.
    Glamoth is a big upgrade for Kafka, less for Seele, and any other unit that has a high Speed stat and the gear to hit first breakpoint SECOND IS NOT WORTH.

HOWEVER. There are caveats. Clara for example, if you have high Attack% on her then Grand Duke is an upgrade at 2 pc with the other 2 pc being her usual Physical set. I'd recommend watching the video/reading the details for some of these explanations.

https://youtu.be/vPJXCi37HW8

Madican on
  • Options
    More than anything, the second speed breakpoint on that planar set is just nice for characters who are partnering with Asta. Which, hey, my Kafka does pretty frequently.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they finally reworded the text on the FU set to make it unambiguous what it's doing and why it's no good for Clara. Wasn't it a stacking FU damage increase though, instead of atk? Still ~50% atk increase is pretty neat. I have Kafka, Jing Yuan, and Topaz. My ass is going to be living in that domain for a while.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    It's so difficult to get good stats on gear I'm not sure it's worth it to farm for a theoretical upgrade now that I've got gear I'd rate as 'bad, but not depressingly bad'.

The pieces I have now that I'd remove are also only useful on those specific characters (where would I put a lighting attack set with no crit or a physical attack set with high defense? and if I had the one other fire character with follow up attacks I'd just be farming the new set for her!) so I'd just be throwing a bunch of +15s aside to gather dust. I'd be different if I could hand them down to some 4 stars or new characters or something.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's so difficult to get good stats on gear I'm not sure it's worth it to farm for a theoretical upgrade now that I've got gear I'd rate as 'bad, but not depressingly bad'.

The pieces I have now that I'd remove are also only useful on those specific characters (where would I put a lighting attack set with no crit or a physical attack set with high defense? and if I had the one other fire character with follow up attacks I'd just be farming the new set for her!) so I'd just be throwing a bunch of +15s aside to gather dust. I'd be different if I could hand them down to some 4 stars or new characters or something.

Especially since Wuthering Snow/Brilliant Stars are both so good that it's way more worthwhile to grind those sets than almost any other.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I don't have the two or three (four maybe?) characters you'd use those sets on, so I'm not sure I've even run that stage. But those are all top tiers, so I guess that makes sense for some.

uyvfOQy.png