As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    On completely different news, they let some sort of asshole design the newest FH 5th stage. The starting screen recommends fire among other things for the second half of the fight and then the fight starts with two big Blaze Out of Spaces who are heavily fire resistant and burn resistant. What the hell?

My Clara had to basically solo that part of the fight. Gui did nothing as her whole kit is about burn.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I actually wonder if it was an error; something like this hasn't happened before. Also, the current MoC10 is exactly the same as MoC5, but with higher level enemies, and that version of the fight does not recommend Fire.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Free Dr Ratio is very unexpected. I wanted him just for character alone, but didn't want to roll for him because 5 Star.

Star Rail does what Genshindon't

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The page for Dr. Ratio says he's an Imaginary Hunt character that does followup attacks when he or his allies attack... Dr. Topaz elation pairing eating good this patch

I also desperately need an imaginary character. Literally any imaginary character. That's the one type I haven't been able to get.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dr Ratio, Topaz, Clara, March team for maximum funsies.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Looking like Dr Ratio has a pretty good LC to pull for. Wouldn't be surprised to see if his LC banner pulls in more than the usual, since literally everybody will now have a reason to "complete the set" if they're not already bone dry from Black Swan, Ruan Mei, etc

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Looking like Dr Ratio has a pretty good LC to pull for. Wouldn't be surprised to see if his LC banner pulls in more than the usual, since literally everybody will now have a reason to "complete the set" if they're not already bone dry from Black Swan, Ruan Mei, etc

I still need to backfill Kafka on that banner, so this is a huge relief for me.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thankfully, E0S1 Topaz is enough to pair with Dr. Ratio and get 3 debuffs necessary.

I'm definitely planning on pulling for Ruan Mei, and she has full party buffs, so Topaz, Ratio, Ruan Mei, and Fu Xuan seems like it'd be fun as long as the enemy is either Fire or Imaginary weak at least.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I still need to backfill Kafka on that banner, so this is a huge relief for me.

Phrasing?
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Dr Ratio, Topaz, Clara, March team for maximum funsies.

Hmm, without Clara, my options for a fourth FU character are Kafka, Jing Yuan, QQ, and...Herta.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If we're getting a specific 5 star for free I would expect him to be nerfed down to 4 star level for release, and then have E1 just happen to boost him back to his previous default power from testing. I've definitely gone from possibly interested to writing him off entirely, based on this news.

They could've given us a selection of free 5 stars to pick from, like they already do for the standard banner, if they wanted to give us something free with no hidden drawbacks. If you've got no use for him, you could've picked a character you actually want.

Even if he's good, everyone having him means it's not that interesting to use him. They'll also start balancing even the 'easy' content assuming you have him, which means you're basically forced to invest in and use him, even if you're not interested.

Basically one of the biggest and worst ways to botch giving us something free, which is impressive. But they've been great at ruining what should be good updates multiple other times, so it's not too surprising I guess.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I swear only you would find reasons to complain about a free unit

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My guy, if this game is a neverending slap to your face causing you depression in your own words... well you are the only one who can respect yourself and your mental health and stop playing. It's clearly not worth the constant state of anguish you choose to put yourself through at this point.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Also note that Kafka was the "best" partner for Topaz in a vacuum entirely because she got one followup attacks per turn guaranteed.

Ratio gets one followup per turn guaranteed (with 3+ debuffs) and an additional 2 per ult.

The only "problem" is that he is also Hunt, so it is a very single target oriented team, but I don't think that's a huge issue.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thankfully, E0S1 Topaz is enough to pair with Dr. Ratio and get 3 debuffs necessary.

I'm definitely planning on pulling for Ruan Mei, and she has full party buffs, so Topaz, Ratio, Ruan Mei, and Fu Xuan seems like it'd be fun as long as the enemy is either Fire or Imaginary weak at least.

Proof of Debt and Tame are two. What's the third? In any case I don't have Topaz LC so I need to use a debuffer, Gui or SW for example. Gui would bring at least some AE to the mix, almost all fights have more than one opponent so I do think being too single target focused is a problem.

Mirkel on
  • Options

Proof of Debt and Tame are two. What's the third? In any case I don't have Topaz LC so I need to use a debuffer, Gui or SW for example. Gui would bring at least some AE to the mix, almost all fights have more than one opponent so I do think being too single target focused is a problem.

Dr Ratio brings a debuff to the table I assume

• Options
    Yeah, one of his traces applies a small effect res debuff for 2 turns whenever he uses his skill (which is every turn)

• Options
    I don't know, whenever a big company says they're doing something nice, I'm not going to take it at face value. Maybe he'll just be great with no caveats, and not affect game balance at all. But it seems far more likely it's just another way to convince you to spend a little more. I'm not going to pat them on the back for that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I managed to get Silver Wolf this banner, which I think should pair will with Dr Ratio. I don't think I'm going to go for Argenti because I don't really know what to use him for.

• Options
    Yeah, one of his traces applies a small effect res debuff for 2 turns whenever he uses his skill (which is every turn)

Oh right I missed that. Only minor problem with that is that it's 100% base chance but he doesn't really want EHR (because that and his technique are the two only things he might miss with) so it might not land. Not a big deal usually I guess.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Watching the announcement stream finally, the next patch's new content is just...one new room on the space station and a new minigame, just like we got last patch on ice planet. Simulated Universe 3/Swarm 2: Please Spend Time Grinding To Unlock Everything Yet Again. Featuring a reskinned version of the boss from the last time they did this exact thing. And the previously mentioned Pure Fiction, aka Hope You Pulled Argenti Or You Aren't Getting Jades This Week. And then a bunch of stuff for the new PS5 players I guess. Good for them...

And the promise that maybe next year we'll finally possibly see a new area. A new art style will be nice, but it's not worth the wait if they only give us one or two maps to walk around and talk to NPCs in, and maybe one with actual chests and encounters. Gotta wonder if they don't just throw in the IPC guards or the generic enemies from the space station, instead of designing anything new, which they've pulled multiple times already. I'd be surprised if it's anything more than a glorified extension of what we've already got, they're not going to give us a half dozen fully explorable maps with all new enemies and puzzles, on top of chests. Unless they do two short banners back to back at patch launch, or something else ludicrous to suck up all those jades ASAP.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    heh

zs93lv74nk6c1.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=31a14a1f9150d1a874f5f332ee5a1943af6213a1

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I don't know, whenever a big company says they're doing something nice, I'm not going to take it at face value. Maybe he'll just be great with no caveats, and not affect game balance at all. But it seems far more likely it's just another way to convince you to spend a little more. I'm not going to pat them on the back for that.

Often times when a company does something nice, it's just because they're trying to make people happy (so that they will continue buying their stuff). It might not be out of the goodness of their hearts, but that doesn't mean there's something super nefarious about it either. At most, this will encourage people to vote for their games again next year in hopes for a similar reward.

• Options

Oh right I missed that. Only minor problem with that is that it's 100% base chance but he doesn't really want EHR (because that and his technique are the two only things he might miss with) so it might not land. Not a big deal usually I guess.

The "ideal" I guess would be E1S1 Topaz, who would apply 3 Debuffs by herself, but I did not go that hard

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    They’re doing this so they can run ads saying “play our newly award winning game now and get a 5* for free” like they’re literally doing right now with HI3 ads I keep seeing everywhere.

I like to imagine I’m among the most antigacha and mobile game predatory behavior of us and I also work in tech so I’m extra jaded about every app ever and literally this is just a marketing thing since hype is slowing down until they get to 2.0 and anniversary time.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Oh absolutely it is. They're also probably anticipating Kafka banner carrying that time period

• Options
    That's another good reason to not get excited about it then, yeah.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Game balance is already affected! I basically have to ignore any Imaginary weakness I encounter, because I don’t have a reliable source of damage. This will open up more options for me, and many others, I presume.

• Options
    I'm begging you all to develop pattern recognition

• Options

Game balance is already affected! I basically have to ignore any Imaginary weakness I encounter, because I don’t have a reliable source of damage. This will open up more options for me, and many others, I presume.

Did you not get the free Yukong yet?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Gatcha games are containers of abusive and manipulative business practices that should really be played by no one.

"But you're playing it."

Yeah, smokers are usually the first people to tell you not to fucking smoke. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Gatcha games are containers of abusive and manipulative business practices that should really be played by no one.

"But you're playing it."

Yeah, smokers are usually the first people to tell you not to fucking smoke. :)

Eh, I haven't spent a cent on gacha games in the last year. Those abusive and manipulative business practices are ruining other people which is a good reason not to recommend them but they are just fine free entertainment for me which is nice since I don't have much money to spend on games. Thanks, whales.

Not to mention MHY is pretty good at not squeezing the vise around the player too much. There's no constant barrage of ads when you log on or VIP levels or skins with bonus stats or anything. Which seems to work well enough for them financially.

• Options
    Finished building my Argenti so I turned my attention to Hanya next, and after the truly heinous rolls I was having for Argenti's relics Hanya on the other hand gave me just about everything I could want on her pieces so she's currently sitting at 167+ Speed, 1000 Defense, and 3300 HP on Hackerspace+Broken Keel sets.

I can hear the DBZ teleport noises in my head.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I wish I could roll for more Hanyas

But I just KNOW that Argenti will come in the first multiroll and ruin my guarantee for Ruan Mei

• Options
    I would like some eidolons for her, but the risk of Asta E-Infinity eidolons is too high. She'll come back on another banner.

• Options
    I would like just one Hanya. :/

• Options
    I would like just one Hanya. :/

I'm sure they'll do a free copy within the next couple patches

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Thanks to this timely double rewards period I was able to get Silver Wolf's ascensions/traces mostly maxed out, so now she's about par with everyone else. I just need a somewhat better set of gear and to get her damn light cone, and not a fourth damn post-op conversation in a row.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm hitting that weird space now where I literally don't know what I should pull for because my team feels too effective, too rounded out. Like I'm just collecting new pokemon to level them up and put them on the shelf.
    92hnpo79i43t.png

I guess I could use more DOT focused stuff?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I'm just barely scraping by on all the current content. I need to raise and gear up more characters to be able to have more options, but you simply don't get enough stamina. The only way to get relic exp is the grind that costs the most stamina and takes the longest time. If I could at least get some useable relic drops while farming exp, that would be nice, but zero luck this patch. And not much luck before that, really.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    During this Garden of Plenty event, I almost only farmed for Harmony skill materials, so I can be ready for Ruan Mei (and Bronya which I will pick from 300 rolls) - I also already have Ascension materials for Bronya and I am halfway through with gathering Ascension materials for Ruan Mei.

Right now I am at 281/300, so I should be able to pick Bronya relatively soon...

... just in time for her to get obsolete by new Harmony characters, I guess.

• Options
    I don't see Bronya being made obsolete by either Ruan Mei or Sparkles. She's too good. If anything Tingyun would be the one in danger.