Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Regular SU it almost doesn't matter what choices I make as long as Ruan Mei is around, her technique instantly kills everything before the boss (and usually destroys the first phase of most bosses)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    metaghost wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    Noticed that besides my Seele (who is alright but desperately needs more crit damage, literally a 1:1 ratio atm), literally all the damage dealers I have built (Kafka/BS/Sampo/Blade/Jing Yuan) are Lightning/Wind.

So I guess the next logical step is to build the free Dr. Ratio? I'm hard saving for Sam at this point too, but this feels like a decent project in the meantime.

Also need to farm more of the HP/speed relic set; tired of swapping around relics on my supports all the time.

I definitely encourage you, and everyone really, to build Dr. Ratio! He's awesome, and fills a hole for a lot of people. Slap someone like Silver Wolf, Pela, or Guinaifen in the team, and you're good to go.

Also once you have him up to speed, for Simulated Universe stuff specifically, I highly encourage trying Elation with Dr. Ratio and Kafka. It's so good.

Yeah, my Silver Wolf, Ruan Mei, Dr Ratio team is tearing up simulated universe using the elation path for me. His followup starts doing truly ludicrous amounts of damage.

The Aftertaste Blessings are comically overpowered. I’m not sure the other Paths have such a suite of thoughtless bonkers upgrades.

I rock Kafka, Blade, Topaz, HuoHuo for easy runs.

Here I come to beat the drum for Propagation Qinque again. Not only do her tile rolls count as consumed skill points for spore stacks, but they count as non-attack skill use for that one +40% attack blessing or whatever it was. And you can pair it with aftertaste for her followup attack for that extra bit of stupid.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I completely forgot you can unlock propagation. I need to get back to that. I think I’m close to all the story unlocks, like 1-2 left. A few tiers of quests though. What actually unlocks the path?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's impossible to parse what the hell is going on with blessings and shit near the end. I did one run with Nihility and the die that makes those blue buff faces permanent. I think in one of them is an effect that lets basic attacks detonate dots. All I know is that Ruan Mei would attack and do 200,000 damage. To be a bit fair though this was only lv4, but it's still damn crazy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I completely forgot you can unlock propagation. I need to get back to that. I think I’m close to all the story unlocks, like 1-2 left. A few tiers of quests though. What actually unlocks the path?

Just playing through enough times should unlock it, as you accrue those Path points between stages. I got it myself last week and I'm maybe halfway through the actual quest tree.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    It's pretty easy to get your dps really going in SU but especially in Swarm/G&G I often find my own guys pretty fragile compared to the damage they dish out. Like I was trivially killing everything and then an enhanced auramaton 2-shot first one and then another of my dps in G&G III. The mode doesn't even have rec level 80.

Last two G&G runs my team has been Gep, Luocha, Kafka, BS for silly two-sustain survivability and that's still enough damage in difficulty III to basically skip some boss stages as they insta-die from dots when they try to act. But once they do act they hit quite hard. To me it feels like G&G's passive tree is too expensive, feels like I'd need to do a ton of grinding to get some more passive bonuses to do well in IV but grinding in G&G doesn't give you anything besides weekly points and some trivial materials. I'm maybe halfway through the tree right now and I've mostly finished with all the stuff I can do in diff III.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    Noticed that besides my Seele (who is alright but desperately needs more crit damage, literally a 1:1 ratio atm), literally all the damage dealers I have built (Kafka/BS/Sampo/Blade/Jing Yuan) are Lightning/Wind.

So I guess the next logical step is to build the free Dr. Ratio? I'm hard saving for Sam at this point too, but this feels like a decent project in the meantime.

Also need to farm more of the HP/speed relic set; tired of swapping around relics on my supports all the time.

I definitely encourage you, and everyone really, to build Dr. Ratio! He's awesome, and fills a hole for a lot of people. Slap someone like Silver Wolf, Pela, or Guinaifen in the team, and you're good to go.

Also once you have him up to speed, for Simulated Universe stuff specifically, I highly encourage trying Elation with Dr. Ratio and Kafka. It's so good.

Yeah, my Silver Wolf, Ruan Mei, Dr Ratio team is tearing up simulated universe using the elation path for me. His followup starts doing truly ludicrous amounts of damage.

The Aftertaste Blessings are comically overpowered. I’m not sure the other Paths have such a suite of thoughtless bonkers upgrades.

I rock Kafka, Blade, Topaz, HuoHuo for easy runs.

Here I come to beat the drum for Propagation Qinque again. Not only do her tile rolls count as consumed skill points for spore stacks, but they count as non-attack skill use for that one +40% attack blessing or whatever it was. And you can pair it with aftertaste for her followup attack for that extra bit of stupid.

As you say, Propagation’s stuff is cracked, but def a bit trickier to leverage on per character & team comp level. I’m excited to get DHIL up and running to teach the damn bugs a lesson with a Propgation/Erudition run.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    For regular SU stuff, every path is great really, but I personally find Propogation and Elation to be the best for just quickly and consistently steamrolling things. For the highest difficulty stuff in Gold & Gears, it's a bit more complicated. Nihility and Remembrance both get a lot better and probably eclipse Propogation, while Elation remains completely absurd. I have no frame of reference for Preservation though because I don't have Geppy; please save me Aventurine.
    Mirkel wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to get your dps really going in SU but especially in Swarm/G&G I often find my own guys pretty fragile compared to the damage they dish out. Like I was trivially killing everything and then an enhanced auramaton 2-shot first one and then another of my dps in G&G III. The mode doesn't even have rec level 80.

Last two G&G runs my team has been Gep, Luocha, Kafka, BS for silly two-sustain survivability and that's still enough damage in difficulty III to basically skip some boss stages as they insta-die from dots when they try to act. But once they do act they hit quite hard. To me it feels like G&G's passive tree is too expensive, feels like I'd need to do a ton of grinding to get some more passive bonuses to do well in IV but grinding in G&G doesn't give you anything besides weekly points and some trivial materials. I'm maybe halfway through the tree right now and I've mostly finished with all the stuff I can do in diff III.

Certainly don't feel the need to go into the higher difficulties if you've already got most of the relevant rewards, outside of just doing it for funsies. I think you can complete it in terms of endings and unlock the Erudition path with just two clears of difficulty IV, and you don't have to touch V at all? Either way, it's not just the passive tree that you need to survive the higher difficulties; you'll still just get oneshot if unprepared, even with it maxed out. A big part of the decision making is putting together a build that will not just die. It could mean prioritizing any and all blessings that reduce incoming damage, like the abundance one that reduces damage at full health, or the preservation one that reduces damage for shielded characters. Or it could mean freezing or delaying enemies so they get fewer turns, or none at all. Or you can just get such ridiculous levels of offense that you rip through things before they can kill you. I've absolutely had builds that were capable of clearing the final boss in just a few turns, but could instantly wipe if I make a mistake and fail to break an enemy before they do a particular attack. On that note, the 2* nihility blessing that increases break efficiency might be the best blessing in the game.

And I've also had runs fail because I made a bad choice on the second boss, and wind up having to deal with the final boss having Nihility resonance, which I am not equipped to deal with. Or Abundance when I'm overly relying on debuffs.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    For regular SU stuff, every path is great really, but I personally find Propogation and Elation to be the best for just quickly and consistently steamrolling things. For the highest difficulty stuff in Gold & Gears, it's a bit more complicated. Nihility and Remembrance both get a lot better and probably eclipse Propogation, while Elation remains completely absurd. I have no frame of reference for Preservation though because I don't have Geppy; please save me Aventurine.

The dice combos make nihility busted in G&G and allow you to get away with some dumb shit, especially if you aren't in any hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D12j2i3cyOs

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you have Hoahoa or Luocha, the blessing that gives you skillpoints back on heal is also very OP if you have a team that can burn through those skillpoints.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nihility also has skill points and healing on DoT. It's pretty stupid, by the end you're melting bosses and everyone is constantly at full health.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Nihility gets energy on DoT, but I don't think there's one for skill points? It's absolutely very dumb though yes - watching the boss's turn start and half their HP explodes.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've been trying to use Black Swan in G&G to get some use out of her, as there's nothing else to do right now, but I haven't finished a run in weeks at this point. Everything one shots you unless you've gotten extremely lucky with blessings. And after finishing it with the few good dice, getting that sort of power level with the shitty ones is nearly impossible.

Not enough damage for MoC or PF, not enough sustain for SU. Just underpowered in every scenario. Feels great to grind for pulls, grind for traces, and get nothing out of it in the end.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Nihility gets energy on DoT, but I don't think there's one for skill points? It's absolutely very dumb though yes - watching the boss's turn start and half their HP explodes.

Yep, you're right. Energy and healing, the skill points I'm getting from the abundance buff. But that's a "every time someone heals hey have a chance of getting a skill point" and since the DoT is triggering everyone to heal that's 4 chances to get the skill point. It's pretty dumb.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Black Swan A2 trace + nihility path is hilarious against the final boss in Swarm Disaster.

With the right blessings and enough blank domains you can get enough %DoT dmg increase so that even just the 1 arcana stack insta pops the True Stings on their first action after they spawn

...which hits the boss with a vuln stack and generates another True Sting, which explodes and hits the boss with another vuln stack, and well you get the idea.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Among the many reasons the Path of Follow Ups is busted is the blessing that refunds skill points whenever you follow-up, so you can just spam skills constantly with everyone.

• Options
    Ok everyone here should be very proud of me. I used some fuel and I used a bunch of the blue tear things you can convert to other trace materials. My Hoahoa and my dr ratio are both ascended to 80 now, have their level 80 skill trace thing, and dr ratio's talent is maxed out.

• Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    So something interesting happened to me fighting Kafka in SU. I had never ever used Gepards talent before but everyone got mind controlled and died with her at 7% hp left. and then, the friggen hero that he is stood up and finished her off!

Now mind you, had I been successful at rolling for Huohuo instead of getting him as the consolation prize nobody would have been controlled in the first place, but it still felt pretty epic!

• Options
    Re: Current MoC 10 - anyone have advice for quickly killing side 2 (the IPC Goobers)?

I feel like my crew should be up to snuff, but I suspect I never really learned some mechanic in play. Do I need to be proactive about stealing tokens from the basic dudes?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    Re: Current MoC 10 - anyone have advice for quickly killing side 2 (the IPC Goobers)?

I feel like my crew should be up to snuff, but I suspect I never really learned some mechanic in play. Do I need to be proactive about stealing tokens from the basic dudes?

The IPC guys tend to be easiest to defang w/ Erudition breaks.

Auralynx on
  • Options

Do you mean stage 9? I'm not seeing IPC dudes on floor 10. Either way, it depends on the team you're using. Yes, generally it's a good idea to make an effort to take the performance points; not only does it reduce the damage that the enemies are going to do to you, but the buff you steal increases your damage substantially. The IPC team leader is particularly bulky for an elite, so I assume they expect you to make up for that by abusing performance points. But I say "generally", because it's possible to run a team that doesn't want to bother.

If you're using teams that have access to strong AOE ice or fire attacks, then making a constant effort to deal with the performance points is highly encouraged. Himeko in particular really stands out here; she benefits from breaking enemies anyway, so she's always happy when adds get summoned. Jingliu can deal with them really well, too, and this might be a rare MoC floor where Herta is actually good. Personally, though, I used a team with Dr. Ratio and Topaz for stage 9. I don't really remember it, but I highly doubt that my Topaz bothered to attack the adds.

• Options
    You’re right, it’s 9. I’m on 10, but wanted to squeeze out the third star on 9 and conflated the stages.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have E1 Himeko, but haven’t devoted resources to her.

• Options
    using the new sort filters I have mass deleted every relic I have that had 2 or 3 of flat atk/hp/def substats except for a couple energy ropes that i had missed locking before.

That was legitimately over 1/3 of my relics.

I get that the system is intended to be bad. but god it's bad.

• Options
    Man it takes a lot of exp to get from 70 to 80. I'm about to run out of the purple exp materials and I still have Silver Wolf to level up (to say nothing of whatever my b team ends up being).

• Options
    yeah it's a lot. the most important part of the 70-80 ascension is thankfully the A6 trace unlock so you can be a lot more chill about those last 10 levels.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Spent half an hour speed tuning Kafka so she'd go after Black Swan, then when I went into MoC to try it out I realized I'd forgotten her signature LC boosts her speed and stacks up to three times, meaning Kafka was never going to be slower than Black Swan, even entering a fight with her technique is enough to boost her over.

So I've given up speed tuning those two and now Kafka's just gonna zoom so she can blow up DoTs as fast as possible. Was able to take down the deer in MoC 12 with the team even though I couldn't damage its toughness bar at all and my Jingliu team would have done much better. But it worked and Cooler Daniel cleaned up Kafka on the second floor easily, so 36 stars gained.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Spent half an hour speed tuning Kafka so she'd go after Black Swan, then when I went into MoC to try it out I realized I'd forgotten her signature LC boosts her speed and stacks up to three times, meaning Kafka was never going to be slower than Black Swan, even entering a fight with her technique is enough to boost her over.

So I've given up speed tuning those two and now Kafka's just gonna zoom so she can blow up DoTs as fast as possible. Was able to take down the deer in MoC 12 with the team even though I couldn't damage its toughness bar at all and my Jingliu team would have done much better. But it worked and Cooler Daniel cleaned up Kafka on the second floor easily, so 36 stars gained.

You always kind of wanted the other dot characters to go faster than Kafka just so they'd get to throw out their dot before her. Guinaifen could cheat a little because she got a 25% action forward at the start. But a Kafka that goes first has nothing to do at first, unless she started with her technique.

Doesn't really matter with Black Swan now. Every enemy gets an Arcana stack, and it technically can never fall off, just reset back to 1. Kafka will always have something to blow up, even if she goes first. It's one way Black Swan is such a ridiculous partner for Kafka.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    What would you do with an extra But the Battle Isn't Over LC? Bronya has S1 one but superimposing that seems like a huge waste, especially given how small the bonus from that is. I have Ting and Asta built, not going to pull Sparkle.

• Options
    What would you do with an extra But the Battle Isn't Over LC? Bronya has S1 one but superimposing that seems like a huge waste, especially given how small the bonus from that is. I have Ting and Asta built, not going to pull Sparkle.

I definitely agree that it's a waste to superimpose it, but I don't know how it compares to other options for other characters. It's definitely good, but like, whether or not the 10% ER is enough to be helpful for each character is something I'm not sure about. I might toss together some maths tomorrow if nobody else has any better insight.

It's a shame that the skill point effect specifies using ultimate "on an ally", because otherwise, Yukong is the most sensible character to make use of it after Bronya and Sparkle.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be great at S5, so if you've got some points to buy a copy or two from the store, that might be a good use. And then a longer term goal.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    so my main walking-around char is Jingliu because <3 her

but I'm not going to lie. I keep laughing every time when I pause the game to go to the bathroom or do something, and return to see her blindfolded ass staring at her smartphone.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I imagine it's probably good on Hanya as well, since she also uses skill frequently, Ultimate on an ally, and would be in teams that are thirsty for skill points. You'd want to speed tune to get her going right in front of the main DPS, obv.

Buying more copies of a five star LC from the shop seems like madness to me, but maybe it's more feasible if you're whaling?

• Options
    edited February 17
    I am back from maths for if the energy recharge from Bronya's light cone is helpful for each Harmony character. This was an excuse for me to get experience with spreadsheet shenanigans, so it wasn't really a waste of time. All of this assumes 5* ER rope unless specified. If I mention Vonwacq, the Penacony planar set works just as well (I'm just calling it Vonwacq to avoid confusion; people are more likely to have pieces of the Penacony set).

Asta: Depends on eidolons. With at least E1, she can normally use Meshing Cogs to guarantee an ult every 3 turns with skill-basic-basic. With Bronya's LC and Vonwacq, she can still do the same rotation at E4 if she reliably keeps 2 or more stacks. Although E4 also potentially allows her to do a 2-turn rotation with Cogs by spamming skill, if you can afford the skill points.

Tingyun: Normally with Cogs + Vonwacq, guarantees 3-turn ultimate with skill-basic-basic rotation. With Bronya's LC instead, she needs to do skill-basic-skill if she's not attacked a bunch. But she probably will be, right?

Hanya: With Cogs, she overkills her energy needs to 3-turn ultimate by spamming skill. She still gets enough with Bronya's LC + Vonwacq, but you need her Burdens to gain skill points at least 5 times (of potential 6).

Yukong: If trying to make use of her E6, you can potentially use Cogs + Vonwacq to guarantee a 3-turn ultimate with a skill-basic-basic rotation. Without E6, if you want to spam skills with her, Bronya's LC allows a 3-turn rotation without Vonwacq.

Bronya: It's made for her and it shows. Her own light cone perfectly allows a 3-turn ultimate with spamming her skill.

Ruan Mei: Needs Cogs (or, ideally, S5 Memories of the Past) and Vonwacq to guarantee a 3-turn ult with a skill-basic-basic rotation. It's going to be 4-turns otherwise unless she's hit a bunch. I guess, with Bronya's LC + Vonwacq, she can guarantee a 4-turn rotation without needing an ERR rope, which allows her to use a break effect rope instead.

Sparkle: Doesn't need a light cone or Vonwacq to guarantee a 3-turn rotation, regardless of how frequently you spam her skill. I looked into if there was any way to guarantee a 2-turn rotation, but I don't think there's a way. Even with Cogs and Vonwacq and using two basic attacks, she'd still need to get hit at least once.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    If you want to be able to do your own energy calculations, it's pretty easy. Just take the energy you'll get (20 for basic, 30 for skill) and multiply it by 1.XXX, where XXX is your recharge rate with no decimals. Pretty much all Harmony characters use an energy rope, so it's 1.194, or 1.294 with Bronya's light cone.

So that said, at 29.4% recharge, a basic does 25.88 energy, and a skill does 38.82. So regarding the energy recharge, it's no better or worse than Meshing Cogs. In fact I think Meshing Cogs can trigger twice? Hitting and being hit are two separate triggers. Or at least that's what I read, I might be wrong on that.

You'll never really be able to rely on the damage buff. Most Harmony characters don't even want to spam their skill other than maybe Asta.

The skill point is nice, and for other characters about all it really has going for it. Though I wouldn't say it's super clutch or anything.

It's such a weird light cone because the only one who can make it sing is Bronya. Most every other 5* light cone, they're still great stat sticks for other characters, and most of the skills are still useful, but obviously perfectly tailored for the specific individual. I probably wouldn't superimpose any other cone because of that. But honestly, if you're using Bronya, I'd almost say go ahead and do it. No other character is going to be worse off for not having it.

• Options
    Figured I'd try to get at least one limited character to E1+ since I'm fairly happy with the breadth of my roster and kept on pulling on the Black Swan banner. Sure enough the ticket gets all rainbow-ey and Pom-Pom gets blasted away by the golden glow of ... Yanqing E1. That's two 50/50 losses on the same banner and a third 50/50 loss in a row. Still no limited character C1 or E1 in any MHY game, sigh.

On the Bronya LC thing, I'm pretty sure it'd be great for Sparkle too as she has SPs to spare to spam skill and advances her target 50% so there's a good chance of getting the damage bonus to land on a dps. And she uses her ult on the team giving even more SP. I just have no interest in pulling her so in my specific case it doesn't matter.

• Options
    The extra energy from Meshing Cogs is also increased by energy recharge. So like, a skill with Bronya's LC may generate 38.8, but a skill with cogs would generate 45.4 (if it's an attack). Cogs generates noticeably more energy if you're attacking. And, yeah, it generates a lot more when you're getting hit, but that's unreliable.

The reason maths are complicated is just because of case-specific stuff. Asta gets an extra 6 energy per skill with her E at E1, Tingyun gets 5 extra energy per turn, Yukong generates 2 energy whenever an ally "takes action" while her buff is active. Gotta make a lot of assumptions.

• Options
    Trying to squeeze out one more star from Pure Fiction before it goes away. Really frustrating that the Shatter debuff seems to skip Herta's talent proc if that's the thing that takes the enemy below 50%.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Trying to squeeze out one more star from Pure Fiction before it goes away. Really frustrating that the Shatter debuff seems to skip Herta's talent proc if that's the thing that takes the enemy below 50%.

Herta's talent does say "When an ally's attack causes an enemy's HP percentage to fall to 50% or lower"

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Herta's talent does say "When an ally's attack causes an enemy's HP percentage to fall to 50% or lower"

There ARE some quirks with it and DOTs though, which are easy to see if you put her with Kafka/Swan on PF where adds immediately come back (instead of stacks or whatever being cleared on a new wave). I *think* what's happening is that every time an enemy falls under 50% without killing it, her talent gains a stack (up to 5). At the end of the next ally attack, if she has any stacks, her talent activates and dumps her stacks. So if Swan's DOTs clear a ton of enemies in staggers, with some dropping to <50% but not killing them immediately, she'll build up a bunch of stacks. Then someone will attack an enemy at full HP, get nowhere near 50%, but she'll launch multiple spins regardless. I think the difference with Shatter is that it's being treated as a non-character action, like a Path Resonance, instead of tied to a character like arcana/DOTs, so her talent ignores it, but that's not a conclusion I have any confidence in.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    f1l299qdkeu8.png

hail satansatan