As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Honkai: Star Rail] When the sun sets we will not forget the Black Swan over paradise

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Prydwen updated a bunch of characters for their relics. They made the mistake of calculating the new Pioneer set based on a theoretical three debuffs but did not take into account whether or not a unit had the means to apply any debuffs of its own. I noticed this when building Herta and seeing how Pioneer was her top set, though I ignored it and went for the Ice set instead because I don't like conditional sets that a character can't activate on their own.

So if you're someone who followed that initial set advice for a character maybe take another look and see if the update changed anything for you.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I'm all ready for Sparkle. Well, I guess I'll probably still need to work on traces for a bit, but otherwise in good shape. Decided to throw together the gearset that she'll be using in advance to make sure it all looks good... this of course required stealing pieces from a few other characters; particularly Hanya, but Bronya and Fu Xuan also lost a piece or two. What are ya gonna do. Note that this is currently on an underleveled Arlan, so relevant stats besides Speed should all go up a bit for a leveled character with traces unlocked.

CNygXtZ.png

Aside, after the conversation the other day about 4* characters in Gold & Gears, I was inspired to dip into the conundrums with my alt account that has an E6 Xueyi. That account is only TB level 63, so it doesn't even have two full teams worth of characters ascended, let alone light cones, decent trace levels, or relics (and Bailu is my best sustain character), but it has a couple half decent characters. Turned out to be enough; had no problems going through C2 and C4 with Xueyi teams, using the Occurrence and Countdown dice with the Hunt path. I decided to blast C6 with Company Time to finish off the relevant rewards. Just now, I managed to get through a C8 run using Data Inflation (the dice with all of the blue general buffs). In the C8 run, I wound up adding Dr. Ratio to the party during the second plane, and he certainly was the MVP for the rest of run. But Xueyi remained in the team and did some good work too; I'm really starting to think she might be one of the very best characters for the Hunt path, even if I still think that path isn't one of the best ones.

• Options
    Sparkle skill details and LC dropped. LC looks solid but not sure if "needed" compared to it being "nice to have."

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I’m already blowing my 50/50 pity on her so thankfully her Lightcone isn’t mandatory. I should have enough then to try and 50/50 Archeron. And failing that well….I liked having money. It was nice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm all ready for Sparkle. Well, I guess I'll probably still need to work on traces for a bit, but otherwise in good shape. Decided to throw together the gearset that she'll be using in advance to make sure it all looks good... this of course required stealing pieces from a few other characters; particularly Hanya, but Bronya and Fu Xuan also lost a piece or two. What are ya gonna do. Note that this is currently on an underleveled Arlan, so relevant stats besides Speed should all go up a bit for a leveled character with traces unlocked.

CNygXtZ.png

Aside, after the conversation the other day about 4* characters in Gold & Gears, I was inspired to dip into the conundrums with my alt account that has an E6 Xueyi. That account is only TB level 63, so it doesn't even have two full teams worth of characters ascended, let alone light cones, decent trace levels, or relics (and Bailu is my best sustain character), but it has a couple half decent characters. Turned out to be enough; had no problems going through C2 and C4 with Xueyi teams, using the Occurrence and Countdown dice with the Hunt path. I decided to blast C6 with Company Time to finish off the relevant rewards. Just now, I managed to get through a C8 run using Data Inflation (the dice with all of the blue general buffs). In the C8 run, I wound up adding Dr. Ratio to the party during the second plane, and he certainly was the MVP for the rest of run. But Xueyi remained in the team and did some good work too; I'm really starting to think she might be one of the very best characters for the Hunt path, even if I still think that path isn't one of the best ones.

Based on what we know of the later 2.x release data we've seen leak so far, Xueyi is going to suddenly become extremely powerful later on in Penacony's patch cycle, if things release largely as-is.
    Harmony Trailblazer will apply a secondary break bar after an enemy is weakness broken, which will allow allies to continually push break damage on enemies even after their main bar has broken.

Currently Xueyi's main problem is that she is kind of dead weight when all enemies on the field are already broken, so Xueyi will suddenly be a prime candidate if she can now do rolling breaks.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Sparkle skill details and LC dropped. LC looks solid but not sure if "needed" compared to it being "nice to have."

So, let's see... Sparkle's LC should reliably provide the party with 10% crit rate and 28 to ~36% crit damage. Or maybe ~43% depending on how it applies. That's pretty good, although she provides so much crit damage already that it's not quite as good as it looks. Her other options are... Bronya's LC, which will occasionally generate an extra skill point, and give +30% damage to the person she advances (assuming they act next). Past and Future provides slightly more damage, but at the cost of not generating an extra skill point anymore. A fantastic FTP option. I could see Dance!Dance!Dance! being good for her, but you'd have to be careful so that the action advance actually advances herself. Overall... yeah, her own LC is almost certainly the best one, but it's not by a huge gap. Certainly not necessary.

Also worth considering other characters who could use it. I could see it for Asta and Hanya (depending on if Burden counts as Hanya generating a skill point), but both will likely result in them reducing their ultimate uptime. If it works for Hanya, it'd only be worth it with her E4. Yukong at E6 is an interesting one to me; I could actually see her using this to shoot up her own personal damage, and she could keep the party buff up pretty reliably too, depending on how frequently you want to use her skill.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Dang, looks like I'm going to be short of hitting Equilibrium 6 before the planar ornaments double ends. Oh well, I should make it before the next one of those events rolls around.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Man dragon dan does so much damage. I've been using a borrowed E1 Jingliu for most stuff where you can bring a support, but I took my dragon dan instead even though he isn't fully built. It's very satisfying to see numbers like 1.3 million.

He's performing very well for me. Finally getting speed boots for Tingyun so she moves ahead of him was a big buff. I think using Huohuo instead of Luocha (who I don't have) is actually a boon because the extra attack buff from my sustain is unreal when combined with the non attack% buffs from Ruan Mei.

Now I just need enough resources to get some better baseline relics and trace/upgrade materials to fully build out the rest of this team.

I'm also building a Herta for pure fiction but that has been very back burner while I work on the a team.

• Options
    Somehow I have two energy regen rutilant ropes but no attack% ropes. I swear to god the drop rates are rigged.

• Options
    What's the consensus on what to do with bad 5* relics, I assume turn them into more relics rather than XP?

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    What's the consensus on what to do with bad 5* relics, I assume turn them into more relics rather than XP?

My opinion is that either option is fine. Synthing relics is great and all, but 10:1 isn't exactly huge value. And when I've still got decent relics that aren't +15, it makes a lot of sense to use use them for exp instead. So I guess I recommend just getting whatever you feel like you need more whenever you're cleaning up your inventory.

I kinda get the impression that most other people prefer using them for synthing than XP, though.

• Options
    Depends. If they're just bad relics with no exp in them I'll synth 'em because otherwise they're taking up space. If they have +3 or +6 from me trying to roll them then they get fed into future relics until one of them rolls well

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I figure once you have enough materials for any fixed rolls banked, it's just whichever is more convenient. I've got a pile of synth mats so I've been smashing em for xp instead.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Salvaging blank relics always just gives you the equivalent exp in gems, so there's never a reason not to salvage, other than you can't directly salvage a relic with levels. Now that you can directly salvage 5*'s, they give 3x500exp gems. 4*'s give 2x500exp. Personally I think you're better off taking the relic fragment conversion. They break down into 10 fragments, 100 fragments to create a relic, so 10 bum relics for a new roll. If you absolutely desperately need exp, then sure go for it. But you're better off just using all the 4* junk for that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Crafting crap relics is so depressing I just turn them into xp instead. Just need enough mats for the few Self-Modeling Resin crafted relics, the rest is ground into little bits of xp.

• Options
    It's nice being able to mark which relics are destined for the incinerator the moment I pick them up now at least

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    l73362eghk7s.png

Finally, they're all done. For me, it came down to pure luck, just doing dozens of attempts until I got one where the final boss didn't use their team wiping attack. The better dice paths would either let you kill them so fast they didn't get to it, or stack enough shields/buffs to survive it and recover after, but with the last four or so that just wasn't an option.

Now I guess I go back and navigate the confusing 3D maps for the final few chests. And hunt down some achievements, while I have the time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Speaking of cheevos, I just got the one for getting the killing blow on Cocolia with Serval. That's fun.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Even the Ten Lords Commission wouldn't touch that insanity with Xianzhou-sized pole. Makes mara sickness look like being a little loopy.

• Options
    They are hyping the shit out of Sparkle, I wonder if she's actually going to have much significance to the story. She was only present for like two brief scenes in 2.0, I think?

• Options
    Yeah, I don't see her having a ton of relevance right now. Of course, Sampo's also a Fool and actually did matter here and there. But there's a world of difference in how crazy they are.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1kXa9IuVIw

My Clara footage made it into this 'top teams' video as an honorable mention. I don't think anyone else submitted anything with her when he asked for Clara + Lynx teams, because he sounded really surprised when I submitted it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    They are hyping the shit out of Sparkle, I wonder if she's actually going to have much significance to the story. She was only present for like two brief scenes in 2.0, I think?

They hype the shit out of any 5* character since they are in the biznez of selling those, not the game itself. The game's just a storefront.

A very fancy and entertaining storefront, but still.

• Options
    I don't know if that Sparkle trailer is going to convince anyone who already didn't like her. Hell, it could probably use a trigger warning. But that said, I honestly think it was one of their best character trailers! A very entertaining watch, might be close to Kafka's for me.

• Options
    I'm interested in what they're planning on doing with the character. As far as the story is going so far, they're painting Sparkle as a villain. Or at least a "not good" character. But... she's also playable. And I wonder what that means given Genshin's track record. Three times that I can at least recall, they've had 3 "villain" characters (Childe/Raiden/Scaramouch), but as soon as they become playable they pulled a 180 on their characters and made them "good guys". As far as the writing went, it made sense to make them good (or at least in Childe's case, not as bad). But still, it would appear they have no intention of letting you play as an out-and-out evil character. So yeah, if Sparkle and presumably Sam later on are playable characters, I'm expecting them to get sanded down and not be crazy bad or anything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited February 28
    Blade seems like a bad guy?

Kafka isn't a good guy, maybe just a "playing her own game" guy rather than a bad guy per se.

Fry on
  • Options
    So far the questionable factions that we have as playable include the Stellaron Hunters, IPC, the Masked Fools, and maybe even the Genius Society. Plus whatever Luocha and Jingliu are doing. There's definitely a lot more morally grey characters in Star Rail so far than Genshin, even if there isn't anyone so far who is clearly just evil.

What's interesting right now is how unclear that is for... just about every character in Penacony. I feel like the only person I really trust is the one person who admitted that they're hiding things from us. Even Gallagher, who barely made an appearance at all in 2.0, is extremely sus to me.

• Options
    I'm interested in what they're planning on doing with the character. As far as the story is going so far, they're painting Sparkle as a villain. Or at least a "not good" character. But... she's also playable. And I wonder what that means given Genshin's track record. Three times that I can at least recall, they've had 3 "villain" characters (Childe/Raiden/Scaramouch), but as soon as they become playable they pulled a 180 on their characters and made them "good guys". As far as the writing went, it made sense to make them good (or at least in Childe's case, not as bad). But still, it would appear they have no intention of letting you play as an out-and-out evil character. So yeah, if Sparkle and presumably Sam later on are playable characters, I'm expecting them to get sanded down and not be crazy bad or anything.

I'd say the Stellaron Hunters are absolutely villains - they may currently have a vested interest in not being directly antagonistic towards your group and making sure you specifically don't die before Elio's plans come to fruition, but the game definitely makes no secret that broadly they're at minimum murderers and criminals and their primary interest is only in receiving whatever Elio promised them for helping.

• Options
    Genius Society feels like a mixed bag, but mainly because they're all heavily into their own research.

Screwlum seems fairly unambiguously good, though. Ruan Mei is more grey. Herta is... rude, but seems to be decent at heart (theres a Penacony quest that ends up involving her, and the way it concludes leads me to think she's good at the end of the day, even if she really doesnt want to be bothered by people)

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So far the questionable factions that we have as playable include the Stellaron Hunters, IPC, the Masked Fools, and maybe even the Genius Society. Plus whatever Luocha and Jingliu are doing. There's definitely a lot more morally grey characters in Star Rail so far than Genshin, even if there isn't anyone so far who is clearly just evil.

I mean, the Everflame Mansion guys are pretty clearly evil.
    Or were, until they got fridged so we'd think Acheron / Sam were cooler. Assuming I understood that right, anyway - the localization is a little off thus far on Penacony.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I mean, the Everflame Mansion guys are pretty clearly evil.
    Or were, until they got fridged so we'd think Acheron / Sam were cooler. Assuming I understood that right, anyway - the localization is a little off thus far on Penacony.

Oh yeah, the Annihilation Gang are pretty clearly evil, but none of them are playable. Yet?
    I guess it begs the question of which version of Tingyun we have

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Genius Society feels like a mixed bag, but mainly because they're all heavily into their own research.

Screwlum seems fairly unambiguously good, though. Ruan Mei is more grey. Herta is... rude, but seems to be decent at heart (theres a Penacony quest that ends up involving her, and the way it concludes leads me to think she's good at the end of the day, even if she really doesnt want to be bothered by people)

Ruan Mei is probably not overtly a villain, but 100% an example of an amoral extreme as her entire "thing" is experimenting on and creating life(including what can be considered sapient life) and then abandoning it to its fate the moment her attention shifts.

• Options
    The Stelleron Hunters feel a lot more like anti-heroes than villains. Maybe not with you, and will probably fight you if you get in the way. But if and when the real villains show up, they'll be against them. "The enemy of my enemy" and all that.

• Options
    Given what's been being heavily implied about Acheron in Penacony's storyline she could count for it as well.
    Being an Emanator of Terminus the Finality is probably not a good person thing.

• Options
    I think the Stelleron Hunters as an organization are probably good. Their 'goals' are whatever it is that Elio is after and I have a suspicion that his end goals are good even if the 'means' may not be.

The individuals I think are mostly fine too.

• Options
    The galaxy as a whole in HSR is kinda fucked up in morality. The ones making most of the laws and setting bounties is a religious corporation that literally engages in slavery or death type dealings and has zero issue with annihilating local economies if they don't want to be bought.

The Genius Society is from the looks of things 99% sociopaths at best, with a couple bloodthirsty killers in the mix. The one with the most humanity thus far has been a literal robot.

And of course the Antimatter Legion + Annihilation Gangs just wrecking shit constantly for no other reason than to destroy everything.

• Options
    edited February 28
    I dunno if any of the hunters can be called "good", really. Their ultimate goals are ambiguous, their means involve significant amounts of destruction and chaos. Kafka at least enjoys it, too. It's complicated by the fact that they (well, Kafka and SW in particular) definitely have a soft spot for the TB which seems to temper their behavior a bit?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited February 28
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I dunno if any of the hunters can be called "good", really. Their ultimate goals are ambiguous, their means involve significant amounts of destruction and chaos. Kafka at least enjoys it, too. It's complicated by the fact that they (well, Kafka and SW in particular) definitely have a soft spot for the TB which seems to temper their behavior a bit?

I think that the Stelleron Hunters' reputation is being colored by them being enemies of the IPC. As Madican mentioned, the IPC has a history of being pretty shitty and focused on its own self interests.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    The Genius Society is from the looks of things 99% sociopaths at best, with a couple bloodthirsty killers in the mix. The one with the most humanity thus far has been a literal robot.

I think they're going for an intentional irony with that e.g. the humans are the most robotic and the robot is the most human.