As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What are your favorite archetypes?

13»

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think I like playing characters that are kind of well rounded, but still pretty skewed towards speed and agility. So like, you're not gonna be ganking anyone but you can still do meaningful damage, and you're not gonna be tanking but you can still take a hit. Since you're faster than most things you can usually stay out of situations that kill you while keeping constant pressure on the enemy, usually flanking them or something. And as opportunity presents or the situation demands, you can also sorta do stuff like closing in to secure kills, or poking the enemy and running away ad infinitum.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Back when I was still PnP gaming we were playing Vampire and one of the guys in our gaming group just wasn’t the smartest dude in the world. Horrible speller.

Anyway, on the character sheet it had a place for Demeanor and on his sheet he wrote “DED” and I will never forget this.

Elvenshae
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I always min/max. Not sure if that is an archetype though. Despite DMing for 3 years I have only played 2 one shot games as a character and both times I made the most bullshit bring the pain paladin/warlock I could find on the Internet. We were playing at level 12 so pretty much all my bullshit was fully online whereas in a normal campaign you are decidedly weaker for quite a long time. Do the same thing in video games. If someone has theory created an optimal build/play style than that is what I am using. If the difference between optimal and fun is minimal then I will choose fun and fortunately that is often the case. Most games try to be balanced enough that there is no reason to play optimally.The only time I don't do that is when playing against my friends. None of them are really like that and stomping them flat is no fun, so I am careful to never look that kind of stuff up. Strangers though? Get fucked lol.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I am a man who does not have a lot of time or patience in real life. So when I play a thing that gives my character access to assault weapons, explosives, or Big Swörd I use them without hesitation or much thought.

Stealth? Fuck off I got things to do lemme just super murder everything.

Turns out most problems can be solved that way, actually.

Munkus BeaverVeldrinElvenshae
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TIL Juggernut is Jason Espinoza.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I prefer bows over crossbows for my archerytypes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I like magic if it's actually effective, even better if it feels powerful, but I always try to do a melee-based build even with magic.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    in Elden Ring you can put like four or five of them on one guy at the same time

LucedesAvalonGuard
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Cards games: Big Guys go Face
    GPGrakX.png

Fighters: Grapplers/ Big Brusers, (Zangief, Potemkin, Juggernaut, Abigail.)

RPGs: Wizard types, Necromancy if available, otherwise Big Fireballs go Boom

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Lucedes
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I'm not sure I can nail down a single archetype that I like better than another. In FPSs I'll play run and gun but also weird shit like Pyro. I equally enjoy tanks and glass cannons in RPGs. In our latest roleplaying campaign I played a synergistic close combat psychic, a techy all-rounder, and an ultra-tanky robot and my next character for our fantasy campaign is basically an octogenarian colonial-era druid.

SirToasty on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Overwhelming firepower. I want to destroy my opponents with the largest possible explosion possible.

mrpaku
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Stealthy glass cannon. Explosive sniper, fire-starter ninja, trap-layer, teleporting poisoner, etc.

Equalizer. Specifically matches or counters without being stronger, turning a conflict into a creative application duel.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Stealthy glass cannon. Explosive sniper, fire-starter ninja, trap-layer, teleporting poisoner, etc.

Equalizer. Specifically matches or counters without being stronger, turning a conflict into a creative application duel.

My nemesis!

Incenjucar
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like to punch things…hard

IncenjucarLucedesNobeard
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Overwhelming firepower. I want to destroy my opponents with the largest possible explosion possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUtappBBlc

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I've always been the magic dude with the overly complicated plans in D&D, but beyond that?

I always have a tendency to lean into the Random Bullshit builds in whatever games let me. That way I can be chill about losing if things don't go my way, and when I high roll and things dramatically do so it winds up being just the biggest dopamine rush.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I like infinite combos and doing a bunch of things and then losing, so Izzet or Simic are my preferred styles.

Slapping a curiosity on Niv Mizzet is just... the best feeling

I ate an engineer