Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread Leaps Into Rebirth 2/29! (Game out; Tag Spoilers!)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Is there a trick to fighting the Gorgon Manes in Gongaga?

On Hard mode three at once is all but impossible. I’m going to use up all of my MP for the chapter here.

Stopping them Stop “works” IF the spell hits but their evasion is so high it misses just like everything else does.

Pressuring them with fire “works” if it hits, but same thing. I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to hit these things and if the answer is just max out Warding and Elemental materia so you’re immune to their attacks so can you can just sit there missing on them for half an hour until something hits then there’s a developer somewhere that deserves to be fired..

The jellyfish, yeah? They dodge everything when moving around. So cast Fire when they stop and charge an attack. Or use Yuffie's fire ninjitsu. Or use Cloud's synergy attack where he charges up an attack, he has super armor while charging. Or Overcharge/Maximum Fury with Barret. Tifa with fire elemental attacks and Unfettered Fury should also work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    \

On Hard mode three at once is all but impossible. I’m going to use up all of my MP for the chapter here.

Stopping them Stop “works” IF the spell hits but their evasion is so high it misses just like everything else does.

Pressuring them with fire “works” if it hits, but same thing. I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to hit these things and if the answer is just max out Warding and Elemental materia so you’re immune to their attacks so can you can just sit there missing on them for half an hour until something hits then there’s a developer somewhere that deserves to be fired..

They're susceptible to silence and become vulnerable when trying to cast a spell, you can beat on them then

For some reason I also had more success hitting them with Tifa's whirling uppercut even when they're in evasion mode.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I tired silence and it kept missing.

I never seen them be vulnerable while casting, I swear I’ve had Yuffie on one constantly while they’re charging Petrifying Shot and Thundaga.

Is this for normal or Hard? On Normal they weren’t as hard to hit.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    *Begins chapter 5*
    "Okay, Red XIII saying 'I want to speak with your manager' to a clerk who thinks animals aren't allowed to participate in the card game tournament might be the funniest thing in video games."

*Cleans up card game tournament to the finals*
    "Alright, nevermind. There is a much, much funnier thing."

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 10

The jellyfish, yeah? They dodge everything when moving around. So cast Fire when they stop and charge an attack. Or use Yuffie's fire ninjitsu. Or use Cloud's synergy attack where he charges up an attack, he has super armor while charging. Or Overcharge/Maximum Fury with Barret. Tifa with fire elemental attacks and Unfettered Fury should also work.

It's been my experience that grenades will also immediately stun them even if they're dodging.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Don't forget about the elemental abilities in the folio that have guaranteed hits as well.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    ZeroRegistryZeroRegistry Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Ending.
    My take is she always dies and Cloud is just in denial and seeing what’s not there or can see her spirit.

Because at the point where she tells him it’s okay and puts her hand on his face it quickly cuts to everyone else’s perspective where she’s dead and bloodied and Cloud is in reality just holding her hand there.

Same with him telling her to wake up.

Same with everyone at the pond where she was buried being distraught and Cloud is just fine because he’s still seeing her like she’s still there.

I think he’s probably able to sense her spirit because of Jenova and Sephiroth exposure nonsense but I don’t think he realizes she’s dead. I think there’s going to be a bit in the next game where it’s referenced and he’s going to be like “What do you mean? She’s at the Forgotten Capital praying to stop meteor?”
    I think that last part is likely, and my guess is that it will be something that stresses the parties relationship with Cloud... maybe leading into the events that have his memories restored?
    theres definitely something going on with the ghost of ‘our’ aerith at the end but really it’s not that much different than what cloud saw in advent children. She’s talking to him via the life stream or whatever. but I also think it’d be weird if they to introduce and elaborate on ‘creation of branching worlds based on decisions/actions where people that are dead in one timeline are alive in another’, then have events play out differently but not have it matter. The events of remake created a timeline where Zack is alive, and seems like he could still be…somewhere. All the narrative/visual cues were there with aerith too.
    Oh I definitely agree, it's all too specifically set up to not matter. I think they kind of spell it out at the end when Zack talks about worlds uniting, parting, and uniting again... but who knows, could be a red herring.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    OMG can I go back to Red's
    old voice please

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    old voice please
    I like it. Let him be himself, don’t push him back in the closet.

• Options
    old voice please
    The personality shift is fine. The voice is terrible.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Starting hard mode again and I think my wishlist for part 3 so far, in terms of things I think should ABSOLUTELY happen with no exceptions.

Please no more ‘puzzles’ that have you slowly dragging a cube around. Every single instance of it was bad.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Making some more progress into chapter 4 during my lovely 4 day weekend of playing way too much of this game.

And hitting some more mini games and such, this game has a lot of Kingdom Hearts energy.

This is is basically the FF done in kingdom hearts style that I've been asking for since KH2 just also on a scale I never imagined.

Basically, this game is perfect. No notes.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ch4-5:
    Me expecting to get on a boat and fight jenova: card game tournament? Hell yeah

The entire junon segment was fantastic. I’m upset Rufus didn’t give me a sword when I did the best.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Starting hard mode again and I think my wishlist for part 3 so far, in terms of things I think should ABSOLUTELY happen with no exceptions.

Please no more ‘puzzles’ that have you slowly dragging a cube around. Every single instance of it was bad.

If they really want me manipulating geometric shapes, give me Super Puzzle Fighter with FF7 characters.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

this game has 40 million minigames and the only puzzle is "my vacuum cord got caught on a chair"

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

this game has 40 million minigames and the only puzzle is "my vacuum cord got caught on a chair"

The average FFVII fan can't handle anything more complex than that.
    <3

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The entire first visit to Gold Saucer and the section in the underside prison has been amazing so far. I got Tifa as my Gold Saucer date...which makes me happy as that is what I was aiming for. :blush:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ho-leeee shhhhhhiiittt

Queensblood...chapter 4
    there's a crazy mystery/story attached to this too!?

They really just spared no expense in making sure everything in this game goes that extra mile

• Options
    edited March 11
    Editing my double post into a new one.

But speaking of going above and beyond the music in this game!

Track spoilers 4 chapter.
    the joke songs like kyrie's are amazing. And kero kero song.

And a different chocobo track for each chocobo? So good.

If this doesn't get best soundtrack at the VGAs something has gone wrong.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I loved in Gongaga how as you progress deeper through the jungle the bgm keeps adding new elements. Really added that sense of progression and discovery.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    old voice please
    The personality shift is fine. The voice is terrible.

Nah, it's great.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Replaying FF7 Remake and I finally figured out my annoyance with the combat: I think the combat system is great, but the boss design is fucking awful.

Every fucking boss does one or more of these things: stupid fucking damage immunity (to magic, physical attacks, or both), enormous attacks with almost no startup that ignore Parry, and insane mobility that puts the boss out of range for half the fight. Chasing enemies around the combat zone because it just leapt a hundred feet only to reach the enemy and have it charge back across the arena through my team is just stupid fucking boss design. I like when I get can my team synergy going, but the boss design is so stubbornly designed to prevent it that it bugs the crap out of me. Let me hit the fucking boss! Stop making it invincible or jumping across the map or throwing my melee fighters in the air with six different attacks!

• Options
    Replaying FF7 Remake and I finally figured out my annoyance with the combat: I think the combat system is great, but the boss design is fucking awful.

Every fucking boss does one or more of these things: stupid fucking damage immunity (to magic, physical attacks, or both), enormous attacks with almost no startup that ignore Parry, and insane mobility that puts the boss out of range for half the fight. Chasing enemies around the combat zone because it just leapt a hundred feet only to reach the enemy and have it charge back across the arena through my team is just stupid fucking boss design. I like when I get can my team synergy going, but the boss design is so stubbornly designed to prevent it that it bugs the crap out of me. Let me hit the fucking boss! Stop making it invincible or jumping across the map or throwing my melee fighters in the air with six different attacks!

And honestly; all of these things I think are pretty comprehensively addressed in Rebirth.

Every enemy has a specific way to pressure it, so enemy knowledge actually helps. All party members have access to abilities that let them deal elemental damage on-demand without requiring materia or MP. Cloud has a HUGE gap-closer, and ranged attacks. Enemies no longer have transition animations that cancel limit breaks, or sections that prevent additional damage.

• Options
    Rebirth feels a lot better in that regard, outside of one or two instances. My only real annoyance is that bosses in this one like to use grab attacks which is pretty clearly a thinly veiled encouragement for the player to switch characters.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Rebirth feels a lot better in that regard, outside of one or two instances. My only real annoyance is that bosses in this one like to use grab attacks which is pretty clearly a thinly veiled encouragement for the player to switch characters.

Maxed out precision guard materia lets you block grabs at least.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My biggest annoyance with bosses in Rebirth so far is I've had them dodge limit breaks multiple times. That doesn't seem like something that should be happening.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 12

And honestly; all of these things I think are pretty comprehensively addressed in Rebirth.

Every enemy has a specific way to pressure it, so enemy knowledge actually helps. All party members have access to abilities that let them deal elemental damage on-demand without requiring materia or MP. Cloud has a HUGE gap-closer, and ranged attacks. Enemies no longer have transition animations that cancel limit breaks, or sections that prevent additional damage.

That is so good to hear. I'm just up to the Shinra building at this point and when I realized my issue with the bosses, I reviewed the last several bosses and saw they basically all did at least one of these things. Both Abzul fights, Leviathan, Hellhouse, the flying triple-gun thing climbing up the rubble, that fucking horse-and cart boss Eligor, the ghost boss, the Turks, just fucking on and on and on. They make a responsive combat system that keeps you more engaged, then did everything they could to keep you from actually hitting the bosses. So stupid.

And fuck me those "cutscene" transitions are annoying, I forgot to mention those. Got the boss at 90% stagger? Too fucking bad, you tripped over the half-health mark! Now the boss works different, is harder to hit, and the stagger buildup resets. Hooray!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    There are specific characters you can use in each phase though to keep pressure on and build ATB.

Yeah, Cloud can't wombo combo Eligor or Leviathan when they're flying around like crazy, but Barret and Aerith have ranged attacks as their normals.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    For funsies I’m playing through the original VII again

It is now completely impossible to read these dialogue boxes without hearing the voice actors saying them.

Good job, voice actors! This has been the case since Remake of course, but still, the cast was just perfect.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My biggest annoyance with bosses in Rebirth so far is I've had them dodge limit breaks multiple times. That doesn't seem like something that should be happening.

Yeah enemies overall are a lot more mobile and I find myself missing every kind of attack way more. To the point where I’m like oh man I had no idea that attack could even miss because in remake it never did

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I missed plenty of limit breaks in Remake, if I fired them off when the character was too far away, or something. Mostly this would happen if I fired one off when I wasn't controlling that character, though, the AI wouldn't get them closer first

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I haven't had any issues with limits in Rebirth, given I frequently do them when stuff is staggered or something. Synergy abilities, though. They feel like limit breaks, but trying to use them in the same way can lead to things going horribly wrong. I've had characters get hit and die mid-animation before.

• Options
    Can’t Stop Won’t Stop on Hard is going to be something else.

The two Giant Cactaurs in the first round have so much health and one needle rain is death for everyone.

Even just trying to deal with one while the other is asleep wasn’t working out on my first few attempts tonight.

• Options
    As I'm nearing the end, I think the biggest major complaint I have with the overall package is the sheer number of minigames and different mechanics they have for pretty much everything. It's like they got everybody on the team into a room and asked everybody to pitch a gameplay idea. Then went and did them all. The problem with this is that so many of these mechanics end up feeling half baked. Then for extra measure, they double pad a whole lot of them. First by splitting up the "game" into 4 parts. And then make a hard mode and double it. I guess it's nice that no matter the quest, you don't know what you're going to get, so it keeps things feeling "fresh". But like I said, a lot are just bleh. I guess it's also nice that once it's done you'll probably never see it again?

• Options
    As I'm nearing the end, I think the biggest major complaint I have with the overall package is the sheer number of minigames and different mechanics they have for pretty much everything. It's like they got everybody on the team into a room and asked everybody to pitch a gameplay idea. Then went and did them all. The problem with this is that so many of these mechanics end up feeling half baked. Then for extra measure, they double pad a whole lot of them. First by splitting up the "game" into 4 parts. And then make a hard mode and double it. I guess it's nice that no matter the quest, you don't know what you're going to get, so it keeps things feeling "fresh". But like I said, a lot are just bleh. I guess it's also nice that once it's done you'll probably never see it again?

I wish they'd finally figure out that if they do something like this they'd at least understand the reward structure should be worth it. The PS1/2 era FFs gave you some wild shit for completing their annoying minigames, but this one's like "ok here's your top prize reward, a bracer that is flatly inferior to what you can craft and also you could have just bought it off of the vendor."

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Costa Del Sol minigame rewards
    Please tell me there's a way to get the Time materia other than the dumb shooting gallery soon. I am so bad at that minigame.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    I don’t want anything really great attached to ultra hard mini game rewards, cos that shit is annoying as hell. I enjoy the mini games in theory as flavour and a mild amusing novelty, but actually playing them they’re all either dull or frustrating. It’s just not my thing, I would’ve preferred half the amount of mini games and instead some like combat dungeons or something.

The mini games just aren’t fun for me. I’m happy for those that enjoy them but I pretty much only try hard if there’s a weapon at stake, and even that annoys me. Otherwise I get the bare minimum and move on as fast as possible

Prohass on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm good with most of them, but the final situps one feels a step too far. Especially since all the others seem to have three tiers. This one has four, and it's the fourth that I got stuck on until my fingers hurt and my hand wouldn't stop trembling. Most other minigames don't demand a perfect performance, you can slip once or twice and still get the top prize, but not that. You not only have to not slip up, you also have to be damn fast (I got a flawless run and was still 3 behind where I needed to be. I am but a man!).

Of course, I haven't reached Minigame Central yet:
    I'm just about to head to the Gold Saucer, but I want to beat everyone I can at Queen's Blood before I go. I'm Rank 5 (I think), Levitating Dude says I need to be a higher rank before he'll give me the time of day, but I can't find anyone else to challenge? I've beat the bandit guy and the dog, who else is there?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't mind the minigames cause I feel it's more about making the world feel a bit more alive by always having some non-battle related everywhere you go.

Why there are also so many one shots.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's the ones you can't repeat I most want to.
    I want to throw another parade for Rufus until I can get it perfect! I know I already showed up the motorcycle guy with my awesome choreography, but I missed one prompt!
    I always thought that was the most genius part of OG Gold Saucer; it let me go back to the bike/snowboard/sub minigames as much as I wanted. Hey, maybe there's a virtual parade/dance/both I can replay in Rebirth, I haven't gotten there yet...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.