Options

Car Recovery - In a different state, no keys

RingoRingo He/Hima distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
edited April 2023 in Help / Advice Forum
So a family member got themselves thrown in jail, possibly a lengthy prison sentence. Nobody is really talking to them, but unfortunately they had been using a car that's registered to me and I would like to retrieve it. The car is not involved in the crime. I'm in Washington, they're in Indiana.

The family member told me where the car is parked, but I don't have a second set of keys. The primary set of keys are with a friend of the family member, but I don't know them and have no readily available contact information for them.

I'm not completely adverse to trying to contact the family member for more information but it would definitely be unpleasant right now.

So suggestions on options, a course of action, relevant information, etc would be much appreciated

Sterica wrote: »
I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
Edcrab's Exigency RPG
Ringo on

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think if you can prove proof of owner ship you can probably get the car driven to you. Getting a new key is trickier but again if you can get the car to a dealer they can probably program a new key. Unless the car is old enough it doesn't have any kind of electronic lock system in which case a normal locksmith could probably do it. Either way you are going to need some way to prove that you are the owner over the phone basically. Not really sure how you do that.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If you have the title, any dealer for the brand can make working keys from the VIN. The price for this can range from a nominal fee for purely mechanical starter switches up to a couple hundred bucks for some of the keyless systems.

Something to keep in mind, if the starter switch has been replaced there's no guarantee the new one is registered properly and if not you'll get the original key the car shipped with and not its current one.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    That's super helpful, thank you both

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    They can pick it up on a flatbed and ship it to you for $500 or less. (They being a moving company, not your family)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Last time I looked into shipping a car across the country it was almost $2,000.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

man shit got expensive after covid.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Shipping a car across the country or having someone drive the car to you across the country?

• Options

Shipping a car across the country or having someone drive the car to you across the country?

looks like just flat shipping. You used to be able to like call around to dealerships in the area and get one added to a fleet pickup or just find a local shipping company looking to take a $500-$1000 road trip.

Apparently those days are less so now.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had a car back in the day that I had wrecked in a snowstorm and broke the key off in the ignition. The locksmith couldn’t get they key out because the cylinder was bent. So they drilled it all out and I started the car with a screwdriver.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I don't really have specifics on how to do this, but your price for shipping a car will vary a lot depending on if you're talking to a shipping coordinator or the actual group that moves the car. The last time I moved a car I ended up going through a coordinator and the guy who actually picked up the car said I could have paid a lot less if I had managed to cut out that middle man.