As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Game Thread] Tekken 8: Father issues? No it's a whole Hardback Trade.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Alright, Street Fighter 6 is real fun to bash buttons in.

Ken is quickly becoming my boy. Looks like Marisa is gonna have to do some fuckin' work to pull me away from this blonde moron.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Randomly decided to mess with Chun for the duration of the beta, mostly cause this is my first time touching the game and I figure "so how does Chun feel in this one?" is a pretty good way to evaluate a Street Fighter game,

Game seems fun? Has that Street Fighter "feel" even with all the new systems added on, and Chun's basic gameplan of "be an annoying little shit" still seems to be intact.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Great, both my Xbox controllers are fucked up (One has analog stick drift, the Dpad on the other keeps dropping inputs) so I gotta download the PC beta and try to find an old controller that still works. Fuckin sick of these overpriced garbage first party controllers man they're so wasteful.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    The ranking system may need some additional work. It seems to place you based solely on your win/loss ratio in placement matches with no regard for your opponents' rankings.

Case in point, I got placed against Silver and Gold players for my Ryu placement matches and went 3-7, ended up in Iron. Later on I did my placement matches with Guile, placed against unranked and Iron players, went 8-2 and was placed in Silver. My dogshit Guile game does not belong anywhere near a Silver ranking.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Kreutz wrote: »
    The ranking system may need some additional work. It seems to place you based solely on your win/loss ratio in placement matches with no regard for your opponents' rankings.

Case in point, I got placed against Silver and Gold players for my Ryu placement matches and went 3-7, ended up in Iron. Later on I did my placement matches with Guile, placed against unranked and Iron players, went 8-2 and was placed in Silver. My dogshit Guile game does not belong anywhere near a Silver ranking.

I think it does account for your opponents, just in weird ways (and also your claimed level of skill)

I did placement with Ryu, went 7-3 against silver and new players, and got... Platinum

It might just be random tbh

Evil Multifarious on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also mortal Kombats first pack of dlc characters have leaked if you wanna avoid spoilers on those

Ah fuck, SF6 Chun is the most fun version of the character I've ever tried, and it's not even close.

God damn is this fun, still want to mess with the new characters on release of course, but I might be a filthy Chun main for this one.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I just want to do training, because I can't reliably execute simple moves, but yeah, seems fun. Chun is enjoyable, I'd like it more if I had the full training mode, and didn't have to worry about people joining.

Edit: I am mostly being impatient, I have already bought the stupid game.

Fencingsax on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just want to do training, because I can't reliably execute simple moves, but yeah, seems fun. Chun is enjoyable, I'd like it more if I had the full training mode, and didn't have to worry about people joining.

Edit: I am mostly being impatient, I have already bought the stupid game.

Get into a cabinet in the Extreme Matches. I've managed to spend a lot of time there waiting for an actual match. 🤣

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Evil Multifarious
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Took Juri from Iron to Bronze and Kimberly from Rookie to Iron this morning. With Juri I kind of know what I could be doing with the huge part of her move list I don't use, but with Kimberly I have no clue how to apply 80% of it.

Might watch a video or three since I'm not sure my soft, doughy hands will let me play any more today.

Kamar on
    Drovek
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Kimberly is who I have used so far because every char I want to play isn't in the test.

She just schmixes the fuck out of people. The higher level play I saw uses teleport liberally and her combos are hard to track for me having tried to learn her. I can't imagine how hard they are to track for those playing against her. Also the delayed explosions from those cans setup tons of wild shit too.

I play her ultra simple though. She has some good reach to punish things.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    This may be a dumb question but how do I actually queue up for ranked or casual matches? I see the option to turn them on in battle settings but I can't toggle them on

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Man playing SF with a standard controller sucks. Really wish they had a second Modern mode that just had all the moves without easy specials/supers. The thing that's really contorting my fingers in weird ways is EX moves, there's just no comfortable way to do them even with the 3button modifier, especially characters with variable EX moves like Juri. Replace Modern's Special button with an EX button and that would be perfect.

DeMoN wrote: »
    This may be a dumb question but how do I actually queue up for ranked or casual matches? I see the option to turn them on in battle settings but I can't toggle them on

It's X on Xbox controller while in the battle hub

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I'm having a hard time getting out of the habit of activating supers with two buttons instead of one, resulting in me continually EX donkey-kicking people out of the corner after splatting them. It would be hilarious if it weren't me doing it.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Slowly coming to the sad realization that maybe I only like Guilty Gear Strive...

Played a bit of the SF6 beta, and I don't know if it's just that none of the characters are ones I'm interested in, but the combo system feels really bleh to me: only some normals can be cancelled into specials, only some normals cancel into other normals everything else is a link, the drive cancels only work out of special cancellable normals... nothing feels like it has any oomph unless it's a twitter-combo that deals 60%.

Maybe playing Honda or Gief will make me feel differently, but idk, I'm worried. :( I keep getting excited to try out new games and then get sad when I actually try them out.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I mean yeah everything comboing into everything is more of an anime fighter thing.

More "footsie" based fighters tend to have less emphasis on combos and big damage. They have them but only in specific scenarios.

That said most anime fighters are poverty so the playerbases are usually smaller and sweatier.

Dragkonias on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I can tell I'm garbotrash at fighting games because I'm sitting over here going "wait everything combos into everything in guilty gear? I can barely combo jabs"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I can tell I'm garbotrash at fighting games because I'm sitting over here going "wait everything combos into everything in guilty gear? I can barely combo jabs"

It's a bit more complicated than that but yeah GG is pretty lenient in that regard.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

It's a bit more complicated than that but yeah GG is pretty lenient in that regard.

The other thing is GG combos are "hit a button as soon as the previous hit lands" with some ability to delay as well. So you can get them to go off easier than like, links on SF.

Dragkonias
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Slowly coming to the sad realization that maybe I only like Guilty Gear Strive...

Played a bit of the SF6 beta, and I don't know if it's just that none of the characters are ones I'm interested in, but the combo system feels really bleh to me: only some normals can be cancelled into specials, only some normals cancel into other normals everything else is a link, the drive cancels only work out of special cancellable normals... nothing feels like it has any oomph unless it's a twitter-combo that deals 60%.

Maybe playing Honda or Gief will make me feel differently, but idk, I'm worried. :( I keep getting excited to try out new games and then get sad when I actually try them out.

For sure SF has much shorter "turns," shorter strings and more points where a string can be interrupted. This game has fairly long punish combos but there will still be plenty of normal xx special combos.

I love shorter strings because they're easier to parse and anime fighters feel like single player games where you occasionally trade places, to me, but I get the appeal of the huge bombastic combos

The drive system in 6 leads to much flashier, more elaborate combos, though —a lot of those twitter combos are close to what a regular optimized punish will be. Using drive rush for combos is going to be very standard, that and using it for long whiff punishes. Combo routes will remain tighter though since not all normals are cancellable

I like when target combos can stand alone as serviceable options without a cancel, but too often there are dozens of target combos in the game with little or no use. Hoping they were more deliberate about that here

Most links might as well not exist for me in SF because I just can't get them down. I can go into any over the top combo in the shared combo thing in Strive and probably get it down if I try, but you tell me that I need to be starting combos on Juri with 5mp 2mp and I'm already sweating.

Which is why my entire 'combo' toolkit on Juri at the moment is mp dp and lp lp dp.

I just went and read a few of her easy, reliable links and like, I tried most of them a lot in training then assumed they weren't a thing.

Peewi
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the combo theory of this game hurts my head. many characters have certain strengths of specials that only exist to be combo'd into by way of extremely niche circumstances.

your route varies dramatically based on the counter state, whether there was a DR involved, burnout, etc, etc

i think that this is a very positive thing overall, but its a major adjustment from V where.... it was just a very simple game

if you can stack all of this combo theory together then you end up in a really powerful place

Jasconius wrote: »
    the combo theory of this game hurts my head. many characters have certain strengths of specials that only exist to be combo'd into by way of extremely niche circumstances.

your route varies dramatically based on the counter state, whether there was a DR involved, burnout, etc, etc

i think that this is a very positive thing overall, but its a major adjustment from V where.... it was just a very simple game

if you can stack all of this combo theory together then you end up in a really powerful place

I'm very much at the point of flying_math_squiggles.gif with combos.

I kinda understand what the neutral asks of me, but even when winning a turn, I'm barely managing to punish with Ken.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    mysticjuicer
    I don't mind it myself as I think figuring out what works in what scenarios is fun but I'm sure someone will have a wiki up with basic routes in like a week to help everyone alone.

I'm also playing Marisa at start and she is pretty much big punch lady so I'm not expecting too much complexity there.

Also one thing I will say @mysticjuicer is whenever Granblue Rising comes out I might suggest you give that a try. It's like an in-between of SF and GG.

mysticjuicer
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Street Fighter 6 is fun and I suck at it. Endlessly bodied forever and ever.

I'm okay at single fireball motions, but asking me to do a double fireball motion is like asking me to breakdance: my body just will not cooperate.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Fencingsax
    If you can do a single fireball you can do a double it's just practice.

One suggestion I would offer if you are playing on pad is make sure your thumb doesn't leave the pad when you're doing the motion.

What I like to do is slide from down to forward, then back to down and back to forward.

Drovekmysticjuicer
    I really dig the commentary option. It kinda gives a "higher stakes" feeling to all fights and I'm all here for it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Kreutz
    I hate trying to do double fireball at a decent speed more than any other motion in fighting games. And not just because I'm at risk of accidentally throwing it out when I'm trying to mash out an input like an animal.

It's especially funny since I see people bemoan the GG 632146 which has always felt really easy to get out at speed.

Johnny ChopsockyPeewi
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah, after years of not playing an sf, and most of my fighting game time since then being spent on dbfz, Tekken, marvel infinite and mk, it felt surprisingly bad to come back to street fighter and not be able to get the moves and supers I want when I want them

I wasn't even sure if you could super after Luke's target combo because I couldn't get it out for the life of me. Then I messed around with modern controls with its instant supers and could do anything

I think I'd honestly rather use modern just for ease of use but it feels so weird at the moment

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    I wish super was PPP/KKK instead of the double motion.

Or at least it would be easier for me to do.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

For sure SF has much shorter "turns," shorter strings and more points where a string can be interrupted. This game has fairly long punish combos but there will still be plenty of normal xx special combos.

I love shorter strings because they're easier to parse and anime fighters feel like single player games where you occasionally trade places, to me, but I get the appeal of the huge bombastic combos

The drive system in 6 leads to much flashier, more elaborate combos, though —a lot of those twitter combos are close to what a regular optimized punish will be. Using drive rush for combos is going to be very standard, that and using it for long whiff punishes. Combo routes will remain tighter though since not all normals are cancellable

I like when target combos can stand alone as serviceable options without a cancel, but too often there are dozens of target combos in the game with little or no use. Hoping they were more deliberate about that here

I feel like there's just something about the combo structure I must not be getting. Like, drive cancel I thought would be the de-facto combo extender thing, but you can only drive cancel out of special cancellable normals. So it felt like, I'm spending 3 whole drive gauge to add one medium punch to this combo? There's got to be something I'm missing, because that seems like an awful use of resources.

Or is it that normal standing combos just don't really lead to much, and only counter-hit/punish counter combos, or combos into supers deal really big damage?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!

I feel like there's just something about the combo structure I must not be getting. Like, drive cancel I thought would be the de-facto combo extender thing, but you can only drive cancel out of special cancellable normals. So it felt like, I'm spending 3 whole drive gauge to add one medium punch to this combo? There's got to be something I'm missing, because that seems like an awful use of resources.

Or is it that normal standing combos just don't really lead to much, and only counter-hit/punish counter combos, or combos into supers deal really big damage?

One key thing is that drive cancel extensions actually add extra frame advantage to the first normal that you use out of it, an extra +4 iirc. Like Chun for example, she can't normally link 5LP (+5 on hit) or 5MP (+6 on hit) into 4HP (8f start up), but if you drive cancel into either of those buttons it's easy. So a big part of it seems to be using drive cancels to covert far pokes or random links into heavier buttons with better cancel options.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    mysticjuicertemplewulf
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    played some of this beta as jamie

beat someone

immediately got a salty message saying i spammed kicks too much after

feels good

7656367.jpg
    Kevin CristZonugalDrovekmysticjuicerFencingsaxJohnny ChopsockyReynoldsKai_SanWimbleKristmas KthulhuLucedes
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    personally i'm not sweating too much trying to learn combo routes because all that might shift around by full release, this is a pretty old build at this point

obviously that's not meant to take away from anyone for whom the pleasure of the game is that experimentation and grinding don't get me wrong

Kevin Crist
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    played some of this beta as jamie

beat someone

immediately got a salty message saying i spammed kicks too much after

feels good

The true street fighter experience

BahamutZERO.gif
    ph blakeDrovekmysticjuicerThe Lovely BastardJohnny ChopsockyReynoldsMunkus BeaverOdinKristmas Kthulhu