As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Game Thread] Tekken 8: Father issues? No it's a whole Hardback Trade.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Knob wrote: »
    do the costumes give you more damage or better frames

I mean, that Pyron costume in SFV could be considered advantageous. A couple of Blanka's too.

Not really, but they obscured so much of the character that it was hard to identify what they were doing sometimes.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    NGL if I like a costume I’ll probably just drop a dollar or two for it.

I really am not excited for World Tour at all

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I appreciate the effort they're putting into the single player portion but unless it's packed with Capcom references I'm not going to bother beyond unlocking the costumes and whatever else is gated behind it.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    im not expecting world tour to be great but ill give it a try. its obvious they made an effort this time.

Fig-DjungleroomxDrovek
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I think the one thing world tour definitely has is a shitload of capcom references. I just wish it had a bit more polish on a technical level, artistically it looks great but it’s pretty basic from a design and technical point of view.

I’m hoping world tour spurs MK to do something similar, if not with 12 since that’s already at the tail end of production, at least in the future

Prohass on
    templewulf
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    this game is fun and also rules i hope we get some lobbies going and can bring in some new friends and fighting game players

lfYVHTd.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    A quick "trip to Hungary" let me play the WT for a bit: Already met Chun Li.

Going to sleep and leave the actual VS for tomorrow.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I think the one thing world tour definitely has is a shitload of capcom references. I just wish it had a bit more polish on a technical level, artistically it looks great but it’s pretty basic from a design and technical point of view.

I’m hoping world tour spurs MK to do something similar, if not with 12 since that’s already at the tail end of production, at least in the future

From the impressions I have seen, there are lots of Capcom references, but mostly fighting game ones, iirc

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I took a quick vacation to Japan so I can mess around with training mode tonight and still get some sleep for work tomorrow

Game fun!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm reporting you all to the crack hotline

BrolojungleroomxKristmas Kthulhu
    ACAB

(All cracks are ballin')

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Kevin CristDrovekA duck!
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    My ps5 is saying I can't play anything but battle hub because I don't have the correct add-ons installed, wtf

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    My ps5 is saying I can't play anything but battle hub because I don't have the correct add-ons installed, wtf

Apparently that's the message you get when the game is still downloading files in the background. I'd say it's a pretty poor choice for a info message like that, but I'm no gamedev.

On the PC side of things, Steam is unpacking files exceptionally slowly for me. It's been 50 minutes and it's only half done. Really wishing I had taken that trip to New Zealand earlier...

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Digital or Physical copy?

If digital, it popped up a "Hey, you want these things too with your download"? If physical, I dunno. It would be weird if only the Battle Hub is on the disc...

But yeah, this must be their solution to the storage bloat SF5 had by the end: by letting you choose what parts of the game you wanted installed. Also supports my theory that there may be a FTP version coming down the line with only one selectable character per week ala Killer Instinct 2013.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    got home, now unpacking

Digital or Physical copy?

If digital, it popped up a "Hey, you want these things too with your download"? If physical, I dunno. It would be weird if only the Battle Hub is on the disc...

But yeah, this must be their solution to the storage bloat SF5 had by the end: by letting you choose what parts of the game you wanted installed. Also supports my theory that there may be a FTP version coming down the line with only one selectable character per week ala Killer Instinct 2013.

I never got any kind of extra download alert. After frantically searching and stabbing random menus, I found world tour and fighting ground in the Manage Content option on the ps5 home screen. After manually installing them from there, I had to hard reboot twice before it would recognize they were installed.

Frustrating, but I fixed it.

Drovek
    Dear God Marisa seems like the Roman Army Knife of "Break your opponent through armor."

Seems the weakness is just outright lows and multi-hit attacks. :D

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I played a lot.

Jaime feels cheap as shit if you don’t have a rushdown character. I fought all the new characters and they all felt good except for him. Felt nearly unpunishable.

jungleroomx on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Okay, does anyone have a guide on how to reliably nail Drive Rush Cancels off normals? Came across a trial that needs one from Juri's crouching MK, and I can't pull it off - the window feels too small. (Using a pad, if it matters)

Wearingglasses on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I played a lot.

Jaime feels cheap as shit if you don’t have a rushdown character. I fought all the new characters and they all felt good except for him. Felt nearly unpunishable.

A lot of his stuff is negative on block — take him into training, it's hard to see because he does so many different little chains

He was widely regarded as the weakest character in the beta, though I'm sure they've tuned everyone

Too many characters feel fun in this game, I have no idea who I'm gonna end up playing

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    KreutzFencingsaxtemplewulf
    My friend code thingy
    zb9pn6axo6bv.png

Playing on Eurostan timezones and servers mostly.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Played too much last night

- Gief is dope. Range on jab and od spd is absurd. DR oki after spd is wild. I really like his new normals. New mp target combo seems like an amazing addition. Pushback on 2nd hit makes it mostly safe if spaced right. I'm sure a couple chars can punish but likely not many. Makes footsies terrifying if you have to think hard about challenging gief poking with st.mp

-Sim is...I think everyone was excited for the execution barrier to drop with easy teleports, but I think SF6 Sim might be more difficult than SF5. Everything has to be immaculately spaced, or you get fucked up. Tp is so, so, so, so slow. And I'm generally concerned about how much value Sim gets from any of the drive mechanics vs how much value almost anyone else gets from spending drive to navigate his bullshit. These are just the knee-jerk thoughts of an idiot with a couple hours of training mode under his belt, though. I wanna see what good Sim players do with him. I suspect he's going to be very good but very difficult. Fun though.

-Honda is maybe the most meter dependent char in the game? If he's not dumping drive meter he doesn't seem very threatening at all. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough, but it was very hard for me to get much going without riding close to burnout constantly. I would very much like to play Honda, but I'm not smart enough to do that much meter math on the fly. Again, want to see what the Good Players are doing.

Okay, does anyone have a guide on how to reliably nail Drive Rush Cancels off normals? Came across a trial that needs one from Juri's crouching MK, and I can't pull it off - the window feels too small. (Using a pad, if it matters)

Just input dash and your followup button as fast as you can.

d+mk, f, f, whatever normal all in one quick sequence.

Don't wait for the hit, don't try and time anything, just get all 4 inputs in cleanly and quickly.

Drovekjungleroomx
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Super excited to get home today and fight some streets.

My first focus is to finally grok how like, normal strings work and when to use them, even the smaller ones. I have always struggled with that in SF. GG Strive is lenient on timing, or something, because I have absolutely no issue with normals there.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Light strings work like an anime game, which I really like. Real easy to do simple light combos and confirms.

it is my belief that JP is a menace to decent society

full screen command grabs are often something you see in a game but its there mostly as a gimmick.... something that gets broken out with a straight face maybe once a tournament

JP's command grab is real. i am in awe.

Etiowsa
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    JP with Modern Controls is a fucking menace. I may reconsider my stance on both of those after all.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Had just enough time before work to make my Avatar. Not super happy with the face but I'm sure before long they'll be face codes to get something that looks good. Otherwise I'm just sitting here looking at my Xbox and thinking 'soon...'

I'm fully intending to try out the Modern controls. My execution is terrible, so why not give it a try?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got sf6 on my Xbox

It won't let me create a Capcom ID

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Modern controls basically confirm to me that move inputs have always been a mistake and fighting games are better without them.

Been struggling to reliably do things like fireballs and dragon punches in the middle of combat for decades, and could never get there. It has legit been a massive barrier of entry into the genre for me.

Now I can actually worry about what I’m doing in a fight instead of how to do it. For the first time I’m actually reacting to my opponent, and making game plans, and actually engaging with the fundamentals.

I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the act of playing a fighting game more.

Snake GandhiKristmas KthulhuDrovekBloodsheedWheatBun01ElbasunuAvalonGuardKamarJohnny ChopsockyFencingsaxtemplewulfmysticjuicerOdinLucedes
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as costumes go I really don't mind the SF way of "Hey, give us $5 bucks for this outfit"

It's actually quaint compared to some games "Either grind for 100 hours or pay us $20"

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I'd be more on board with Modern controls if it didn't truncate movesets.

Kreutz
    speaking of costumes.. im a little surprised i only get TWO color options for the defaults after paying over a hundred dollars for the deluxe edition of the game...

how do i get more colors for the default costumes?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm an old so I'm gonna stick to playing what I know and enjoy.

But I'm all for more options so more people can enjoy the game in their own way.

AvalonGuard
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I intend on getting salty no matter what controller or input scheme you use, they are ALL cheating, and should be banned from "real" play

AvalonGuardFencingsaxDyvim TvarmysticjuicerOdindurandal4532
    I don't think motion inputs are a mistake at all, but I do appreciate that there is a competitively viable alternative for people who don't like them.

ph blakeJohnny ChopsockyKristmas KthulhuDyvim TvarOdinMortal Sky
    Jasconius wrote: »
    speaking of costumes.. im a little surprised i only get TWO color options for the defaults after paying over a hundred dollars for the deluxe edition of the game...

how do i get more colors for the default costumes?

There are some ongoing issues with deluxe and ultimate edition extra content not being recognized. I bought the deluxe edition, but my console currently thinks I only have the standard. It's known and being worked on. Several other folks with the same issue have had it resolved this morning.

Jasconius