As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Game Thread] Tekken 8: Father issues? No it's a whole Hardback Trade.

Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his kneesand say the 'our father'Registered User regular
edited February 28 in Social Entropy++
New thread!

Games where you punch, kick and Heavenly! Potemkin! Buster! folks for fun and prizes.

ONEDOeR.jpeg
image by: https://twitter.com/DemonDan14

Introducing The Fighting Game Glossary. Over 650 terms carefully explained with 200+ video examples and Japanese translations. Easily search by term or game, share links to terms with your friends, and explore related concepts without losing your place.
Jasconius wrote: »
here is an updated link for a discord that has been in use by the thread for many years https://discord.gg/7atCDv7nmn

the main idea of this discord is for coordinating battle lounges. its also boosted up so it has high quality video streaming which I tend to do if I am in one of the lounges

SF6 seems like its going to have pretty good community/group oriented lounges so I expect that this will all get heavy usage here in the first few months of SF6

if you are interested in grinding in a controlled setting.. the discord has people of all skill levels, including actual toddlers, so you'll probably find someone who is an appropriate challenge

Heaven Or Hell, LET'S ROCK

acpRlGW.jpg
Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
Knob on

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    It's a real shame that I won't finished Tears of the Kingdom due to SF6. And no, I don't think I can burn through it in three weeks.

Some of my friends are lamenting that SF6 and Diablo IV are dropping on the same day, but Diablo's open beta really didn't hook me so I'm less upset about that one. Besides, Blizzard's servers are going to be a trash fire all weekend. SF6 still has modes you can play if the game isn't online.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Nice. Ill be fiddling around with Juri again.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

After winning Texas Showdown, I felt the tremors of grappler discourse during my slumber. "A familiar feeling..." I thought to myself. This isn't my first rodeo.

The tremors have evolved into earthquakes, yet I remain unfazed.

Because I am the greatest to ever do it. The scoops will be glorious on June 2nd. You cannot stop what's coming with Zangief.

See you soon, @StreetFighter @CapcomFighters

the age of shotos is over

the time of grapplers has come

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

After winning Texas Showdown, I felt the tremors of grappler discourse during my slumber. "A familiar feeling..." I thought to myself. This isn't my first rodeo.

The tremors have evolved into earthquakes, yet I remain unfazed.

Because I am the greatest to ever do it. The scoops will be glorious on June 2nd. You cannot stop what's coming with Zangief.

See you soon, @StreetFighter @CapcomFighters

the age of shotos is over

the time of grapplers has come

A friend of mine will be happy to hear this

The rest of my non-paste eating fighting game group, less so.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    That heavenly image was done by DemonDan14, often posts neat grappler vids on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Hdht7owkU

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    It's a glorious image, but I am legit terrified of Zangief in SF6. The tools he's been given look scary as hell.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i refuse to believe that capcom would soil what seems like a surefire banger of a fighting game by making gief relevant

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I don't get the hate for grapplers, never have and never will.

Rushdown, though...

• Options
    rushdown grappler

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Cruor wrote: »

Rushdown, though...

Simple really. You have an archetype that their most powerful attack is all about circumventing the most powerful defensive technique in most fighting games(just blocking).

It forces people to react to things in ways they aren't used to and actives that little part of your brain that controls fight or flight just in a video game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

Rushdown, though...

Big damage from a single unlockable/untechable attack is scary, as a baseline.

To be clear, I'm not a grappler hater. I'm not on the grappler hate train unless it's funny. This Zangief has some real sauce though. As always, he's got damage (punish counter OD Spinning Piledriver is like half your health) but he's also playing with system mechanics that give him mobility and damage conversion opportunities that he's never really had before. Toss a one bar anti-air super into the mix too and you've got a real scary real big man. So am I hatin' on Grief? No. Am I calling for nerfs before the game's even out. Also no. Do I think he's going to be a strong character in SF6? Yes I do.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    All I know about Gief is SPD do big damage and EX lariat gives ridiculous oki

• Options
    rushdown grappler

Green hand upgraded to green body.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    i know it's more of a hololive fan game than a hololive fighting game, but it does feel a little rude to not include a reference to romolla somewhere

put the respect on the FGCVT name

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Cow lady is just too big. They're the Ridley of Idol Showdown.

Actually, not knowing much about Vtubers, is Romolla managed by Hololive? The behind the scenes management stuff is all a mystery to me.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Romolla is a vtuber but not part of hololive. Idol showdown is (I think) 100% hololive.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Romolla is just a lady with a streaming rig, a dream, and a big chug

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    All this talk of Zangief, but Manon also seems damn scary

• Options
    honestly while manon has a lot of damage in her throws she broadly seems to be more of a high/low strike/throw mixup character than a pure grappler, which seems to be making it harder for folks to evaluate her in preview footage

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    One of the bigger leakers says the next MK game is called "Mortal Kombat 1"

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Yeah ed boon posted a clock skipping 12 and going to one so that’s confirmed. Seems like the setting will likely be an older tournament maybe carrying on from the ending of aftermath with the original kung lao? That would mean no modern characters which would be a departure. Or could be just redoing the modern tournament

Next gen only but also switch is an odd combo. I’m guessing the switch version of 11 sold well then

Prohass on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I want more than anything for the next MK to be the Mortal Kombat equivalent of Jojo:Steel Ball Run.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    I feel like the MK team has wanted to move away from Liu Kang as the protagonist for a long time but they couldn't cause well he's up there with Ryu as iconic fighting game protagonist goes.

And like Ryu, every previous attempt to replace him has mostly been kind of middling.

I feel like MK12 was a way of giving him a worthy send-off while giving themselves the room to move forward.

Which is why I'm guessing unlike MK9 that was mostly just a retelling of the original trilogy this will be a hard reboot.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Rushdown, though...

In addition to the other responses you've gotten, one of the ways I tended to win against my roommate was exploiting his psychological weakness to getting hit by the same attack over and over and over. I'd deliberately take him through the same motions each time I got the chance, and it drove him up the wall and made him make mistakes.

Grappler characters are heavily weighted in their design toward one or two moves: their big-damage command grabs. Whatever other tools a grappler has, their game plan is going to be to direct as many interactions as possible into ending at one of a few grab moves. And when every interaction ends the same way, that's frustrating. It's not like, say, a Ryu wearing you down with hadouken spam and catching you on the jump-in with a shoryuken and then outplaying you in footsies to chip away the last of your health. With the grappler it's "he walks in and I get thrown", "he blocks and I get thrown", "he jumps in and I get thrown", and so on. They make you feel your mistakes by punctuating them all the same way.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    im hoping that the reboot has us take control of sub-zero in some sort of side scrolling beatemup with incomprehensible jump puzzles. something to really push the boundaries of digital entertainment

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

Rushdown, though...

In addition to the other responses you've gotten, one of the ways I tended to win against my roommate was exploiting his psychological weakness to getting hit by the same attack over and over and over. I'd deliberately take him through the same motions each time I got the chance, and it drove him up the wall and made him make mistakes.

Grappler characters are heavily weighted in their design toward one or two moves: their big-damage command grabs. Whatever other tools a grappler has, their game plan is going to be to direct as many interactions as possible into ending at one of a few grab moves. And when every interaction ends the same way, that's frustrating. It's not like, say, a Ryu wearing you down with hadouken spam and catching you on the jump-in with a shoryuken and then outplaying you in footsies to chip away the last of your health. With the grappler it's "he walks in and I get thrown", "he blocks and I get thrown", "he jumps in and I get thrown", and so on. They make you feel your mistakes by punctuating them all the same way.

See, I kinda like that though, cause if every mistake ends in the same outcome it cuts down on the mental math I have to do to keep track of how my opponent is going to respond. I do get how that can be very frustrating though.

• Options

Ed Boon
    @noobde
    Ummm.... for the record. We never konfirmed our next game is a Mortal Kombat game.

(J. Jonah Jameson laugh gif)

Marvel V DC incoming.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fuck you, I just bought SF6. If they do Marvel vs DC as well... I guess I am going to become a fighting game guy

• Options
    there is 0% chance it's marvel vs dc and 100% chance it's mortal kombat

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    hes just joking, otherwise the clock skipping 12 makes no sense.

Also I really dont want a marvel vs dc. Just do a marvel game or a dc game or a mortal kombat game, the universes and rosters are far to big and it would just be a waste to get half half

Prohass on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Someone has claimed Max's 5k bounty on adding new character slots to UMVC3

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlzJwk3r2eU

I've been loving the fgc translated sf6 videos, especially the daigo stream highlights. As someone who essentially skipped a generation because of not digging 5, finally being able to enjoy all the content improvements that have been made is a real delight.

Back in the 4 era the main insight I got into japanese pro players was 480p at best streams with no english unless team sp00ky was restreaming it from some basement. Watching the nagoya street battles and trying my best to write down the kanji for players I thought were cool so I could recognize when they showed up again in the future

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    WIMBLE

WIIIIIMBLE

ARE WE GONNA PLAY SF6?!?

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    KNOB, MY FRIEND

Fuck yes we will! Their new rollback seems pretty smooth too, so should be good times ahead

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
  • Options

A Jukebox feature IS going to be in Street Fighter 6! Nakayama and Matsumoto just confirmed it during a Q&A Stream! Apparently, we can play songs from previous Street Fighter titles!

This discussion has been closed.