Options

[Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom] thread, in which we regret catching These Hands

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Something I think is weird: If I want to fuse something from my inventory to a weapon or shield, I have to drop it on the ground first. It can't be done from the materials quick-menu.

Meanwhile, arrows can only be fused through the materials quick-menu. Which means you can only put zonai devices on arrows if you have them as capsules.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    yeah, just like botw, the controls seem pretty finnicky and overly complicated. The system itself is super cool, but it's just not intuitive.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The description on Rushrooms says they need to be cooked to grant their speed boost, but the description of Toasty Rushrooms says "It may have lost its speedy properties, but at least it tastes good now."

Hrm.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The description on Rushrooms says they need to be cooked to grant their speed boost, but the description of Toasty Rushrooms says "It may have lost its speedy properties, but at least it tastes good now."

Hrm.

Gotta add it to a meal. Use like, three rushrooms and some meat.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    The hot peppers are the same way. They need to be added to a dish to utilize their properties, not roasted/toasted/charred by themselves.

It should be worded better to prevent confusion.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Fun thing to do with a new ability:
    Fuse a mine cart to your shield.

Congratulations, you now have a skateboard for shield surfing purposes.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Hrm.

Gotta add it to a meal. Use like, three rushrooms and some meat.

Ah, gotcha. It's been a while since BotW and this one introduced me to fire-only cooking a bit before pot cooking - I just got to the latter tutorial and I see what happened.
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The hot peppers are the same way. They need to be added to a dish to utilize their properties, not roasted/toasted/charred by themselves.

It should be worded better to prevent confusion.

Yeah, that seems like a speed bump that coulda been smoothed out somewhere. It ain't a big deal at the end of the day, just a moment of temporary confusion

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Cooked (in a pot) being different from toasted (dropped by the fire) seems like a clear distinction to me tbh. Anyways there is no need to add other ingredients, just throwing 1-5 rush rooms in a pot will work

• Options
    Ursus wrote: »
    Cooked (in a pot) being different from toasted (dropped by the fire) seems like a clear distinction to me tbh. Anyways there is no need to add other ingredients, just throwing 1-5 rush rooms in a pot will work

You cook things by making them hot, the game first introduces the concept of making things hot by telling you to drop them by the fire

I built a sky raft before the game had a lil Dalek tell me how cooking worked, it's an odd tutorialization pace

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It was very funny to me when I went through a cave and on the other side a robot told me about caves. I don’t think I did any of the tutorial right.

• Options
    Oh I went backwards through some of the beginning area for sure.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    The best thing I've done so far is
    attach a flamethrower to my shield

The best defense is a good offense motherfucker

I've gotten to the point where
    I'm back on firm ground again. There's a bunch of building materials along the road, clearly I'm meant to build a cart out of it, but I can't make it go in a satisfactory way. Maybe something will click later or I haven't unlocked the right machine

• Options
    edited May 2023
    First death! Still don’t have a glider as I’ve wandering into West Necluda without hitting any of the story beats
    I did find memory 6, I guess…
    hopped into a well and descended in Hell at 50 miles an hour.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    How do you shield surf

Also I forget the dodge button

• Options
    How do you shield surf

Also I forget the dodge button

Hold ZL, jump, and then press A.

Dodge is hold ZL and then jump plus a direction.

• Options
    First death! Still don’t have a glider as I’ve wandering into West Necluda without hitting any of the story beats
    I did find memory 6, I guess…
    hopped into a well and descended in Hell at 50 miles an hour.

I think I died 6 times in my first two hours. Four of which came right after I found bomb flowers. Not sure what the correlation is there. It's a gosh darn mystery.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Played a little bit last night after getting the game at a midnight release, and today at work I am thinking back and kicking myself for not solving a puzzle in a... funnier way.
    The first Korok thing where you have to get one to his friend? I sorely wish I had just straight up attached his backpack to one of the hooks and sent him on his merry way.

I figured I would need both hooks for making the little gondola stable enough to get across myself, but I bet I could have totally made due with one of them.
    I did send him on his own and it worked just fine. But then I fucked up making the gondola for myself and it was imbalanced and I ended up falling off when I got it moving.

Turns out you can just walk down the rail so that's how I got across.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I definitely stood there for a minute trying to remember how to cook things in a pot, they should really just have you press A to interact with it, I feel like this is a solved problem in video games.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Do you later get an ability to steer made creations? I can see it fast becoming frustrating if you can’t steer.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Yeah I was excited that you could just pull out random items and then very disappointed that I couldn't gather them up to cook with that way. Nintendo makes weird choices.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Blake T wrote: »
    Do you later get an ability to steer made creations? I can see it fast becoming frustrating if you can’t steer.

I dunno, I imagine someone will figure it out. I've for sure found powered wheels, but yeah, I had to basically get off of the car I made to turn it

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yep, the controls remain funky. I think it's new to this game that if you open a chest with a weapon and your inventory is full, it now gives you the option to drop something? Another basic thing the original didn't have.

I absolutely enjoy the general idea of making cool vehicles, but I'm slightly worried that 20 hours in ill be tired of finicky controls and the physics of not properly balancing a platform. Fuse seems super cool and more straightforward.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    Yep, the controls remain funky. I think it's new to this game that if you open a chest with a weapon and your inventory is full, it now gives you the option to drop something? Another basic thing the original didn't have.

I absolutely enjoy the general idea of making cool vehicles, but I'm slightly worried that 20 hours in ill be tired of finicky controls and the physics of not properly balancing a platform. Fuse seems super cool and more straightforward.

it does that sometimes, I feel like I don't get the option to do that if my shields are full

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So i think i understand how fuse and the weapons works currently.

Fusing one weapon with another: This creates the silly ultra long weapons or similar. You dont get a bonus to durability - the fused weapons durability is used up first instead. The moveset is based off the grip weapon.

Fusing a weapon with a monster material: This creates a new weapon. Size is determined by the grip, while moveset is determined by the monster material (I think. Need to test a bit more). You get a massive bonus to weapon durability

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Edit: I keep forgetting about the fast travel

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    I fused some buckwild greatsword/pickaxe thing and then desperation threw it at a big monster. The fuse stuff really takes some of the sting out of weapon durability, because when something breaks, you're like, "oh sick, I can make a new toy"

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    That tutorial island felt like it took forever

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I dunno, I imagine someone will figure it out. I've for sure found powered wheels, but yeah, I had to basically get off of the car I made to turn it

You get steering columns eventually.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    I appreciate how absurd Fuse is. Just giant monstrosities taller than Link that clip through everything and items in your inventory cal "rusty-shield shield".

I fused a bow to my sword and it's just stuck to the end of the blade, I should have expected this.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Tears of the Kingdom so far is me muttering “what the fuck” under my breath every ten minutes or so

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got to the surface and tried to build my first wheeled vehicle, and after a few minutes decided fuck this, I'll walk

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I got to the surface and tried to build my first wheeled vehicle, and after a few minutes decided fuck this, I'll walk

I was stubborn about it, and it was funny to roll up on an enemy camp with the Plankmobile, but (at least at the start) Nuts and Bolts 2 it is not.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Presumably you get a steering wheel at some point

What you can do though is fuse a glider to your shield and it gives you a floaty jump

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I haven't even gotten to the tutorial but it just seems grossly negligent to allow the ruler of your kingdom to descend into a pit of known poisonous gases

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I haven't even gotten to the tutorial but it just seems grossly negligent to allow the ruler of your kingdom to descend into a pit of known poisonous gases
    Personally I think all rulers should descend into a pit of known poisonous gases.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You know what

Fair point

Go for it Zelly get wild

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Personally I think all rulers should descend into a pit of known poisonous gases.

I agree with this sentiment, and also while the ability to hold a pig for 100 years to laudable, it is not the basis for a stable government.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

I mean, for one I'm not sure they really knew there were poisonous gases, and for another, what, do you think people "allow" Zelda to do anything? Girl knows what she wants and what she wants is to get her nerd on exploring ancient ruins and being a scholar. You can try to stop her but all that is going to actually mean is that she sneaks and does it alone instead of coming at it prepared and with the guy that just fistfought the manifestation of elemental evil as backup.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I’m more upset the yak wasn’t there.

• Options
    Nameless early development trailer yak is the heart of the series.