Options

[Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom] thread, in which we regret catching These Hands

1313233343537»

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just realized that part of why deep system talk about this game hits me funny is an entirely me thing, and it's that the main person I talk to about this game in real life is one of my best friend's 8 year old kid.

He's pure enthusiasm and chaos and loves showing off armor, and dumb/cool shit he's cobbled together, and that childlike glee in thinking Every New Thing is the Coolest Thing Ever. I've seen the game through his eyes a lot, it's become part of the charm of it for me.

And so when that game gets busted down to like data-on-a-spreadsheet maximization, it just feels weird. The game clearly supports that mode of interaction, but it runs so counter to what I personally have come to think of as the game's energy.

Yeah like occasionally, when I just want the drops from lynells and gleeoks I math it out and the “best weapon” but most of the time I’m just chilling out with my daughter trying to find shrines and stuff.

Which we’ve nearly done all of them now. I’m tempted to replay botw with her just to have that type of adventure with her again.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Finally decided to compete the story.
    It's probably because I was kitted out but that felt like the easiest boss of the game. I don't think I needed to eat any food and only two shields got broken in the fight. I was stocked up on Savage Lynel shields, silver Lynel mace and saber weapons all 60+ power, and plenty of full recovery and gloom resist meals (only one gloom recovery though) but I just rolled through with the Master Sword fused with a silver Lynel saber horn, an attack plus 3 meal, and my 20/20/20 Hylian armor set. I think I lost just over half my hearts but I never felt like I was in danger.

Cinematically, all very very cool. If I hadn't been playing in bed while my wife was sleeping I probably would have said "Oh shit" out loud when Ganon ate the stone. Also a pretty cool moment for the new sages to show up after the spirits couldn't help you.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want to just run into a fight and have a fight. I don't want to change my armor, down a (limited) potion, eat some food, run in, smack someone, open menu, swap armor and weapon, smack enemy, open menu, swap weapon, smack enemy, ride enemy, open menu, swap to another weapon, hit enemy until dismounting, pull out bow, open menu to attach thing to arrows, shoot arrows, open menu, swap back to other weapon, etc.

And that's all Tears is for combat. Menus menus menus as you change weapons, drink potions, attach arrowheads, change armor because a lightning storm rolled up, change armor again when lighting storm goes away, so on and so forth. I'm never allowed to get into a flow because something or another keeps demanding I open the menu in the middle of the fight.

That just makes fights tedious for me and why I avoid them as much as possible now for the stuff that's actually fun, like exploring and fucking around with Zoanite machines

• Options
    I can't say I've ever felt urged to open menus unless I just wanted to (other than lightning or heat and cold). Half the time I get into a fight and I just let my buddies actually do the grunt work while I break rocks and boxes and open chests.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I mean, yeah, I don't want to snap all my weapons off in a Lynel either.
    But all the other bosses I tend to just run in and get to work.
    I don't really make food, eat food, or see a need to switch out this mushroom hat.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I just ran around in the fierce deity armour and changed my hat and needed.

Fusing arrowheads was a huge pain though, no arguments there.

The UI is one of my big criticism points, it's just not very good for what it's asking you to do. I can absolutely see that being a huge tripping point for folk

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The only time I thought fusing stuff to arrows was annoying was if I needed to hunt through my entire catalog of monster parts for like, an electric keese eyeball, cause I ran out of regular ones. Otherwise, all the stuff I use frequently floated it's way to the top of the list pretty early in the game when I didn't have much stuff.

Having said that, the UI for the game is serviceable at best and frequently kinda clunky. The sages in particular are pretty annoying to use but at least they have value just by being out and about. There are some things they put in to help make them less annoying that I didn't notice for a long time; for example, if you use your scope and one is in the way they'll move to get out of your line of sight.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I honestly just turned my sages off, except sometimes for the Wind sage. They were more hassle than they were worth for me, which sucks!

If they'd been like BoTWs powers I'd have gotten up to do many shenanigans. As it was they came out for mining or other places the power was useful, and then got turned back off for combat because I was just tripping over them.

For fusing, it was a combo of it being too much stuff to scroll through, no ability to favourite things, and just a right pain to have to bring up the menu every time. Some kind of autofuse you could toggle on would have been a godsend.

• Options
    I honestly just turned my sages off, except sometimes for the Wind sage. They were more hassle than they were worth for me, which sucks!

If they'd been like BoTWs powers I'd have gotten up to do many shenanigans. As it was they came out for mining or other places the power was useful, and then got turned back off for combat because I was just tripping over them.

For fusing, it was a combo of it being too much stuff to scroll through, no ability to favourite things, and just a right pain to have to bring up the menu every time. Some kind of autofuse you could toggle on would have been a godsend.

You were using the quick menu on the dpad right? Favorites would be nice but that's kinda what sorting by most used becomes, but why not just let us pick what we want to show up? There are favorites for auto build after all although that's more of a necessity with the limited recent slots.

• Options
    D-pad?
    I'm pretty sure there was a thing about it a long time ago...

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

You were using the quick menu on the dpad right? Favorites would be nice but that's kinda what sorting by most used becomes, but why not just let us pick what we want to show up? There are favorites for auto build after all although that's more of a necessity with the limited recent slots.

At least for my playstyle most used wasn't enough. Especially because I experimented a lot. I was genuinely considering try to put together a document of the various fusion effects because there's some crazy ones.

Fuse a rocket to an arrow, it acts as a super wing, but also makes the damage bludgeoning/explosive, so it'll peel armour. Great for armoured lynels.

Cannons on arrows blow up like bomb arrows do. Hover stones are deployed in mid air, while stakes well get stuck into terrain

Rockets on a shield can be surfed on, not just ridden into the sky. Frozen meat dramatically reduces shield friction, allowing some truly epic slides, while homing carts are just weird.

Also stuff like the teeth are meant to be used emass, but it's quite disruptive to have to stop, fuse, fire, repeat.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Why can't Link use a paddle like a paddle though

Just standing on the side of a raft attacking the air

discrider on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Why can't Link use a paddle like a paddle though

Just standing on the side of a raft attacking the air

Link has the triforce of courage, not wisdom.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Link has the triforce of Zaddy.

• Options
    Although frankly I forgot I could just put a mast on the boat and then Link could attack that with the paddle to go places.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Although frankly I forgot I could just put a mast on the boat and then Link could attack that with the paddle to go places.

That's just realistic gameplay; attacking it with a paddle is how I normally propel all modes of transportation, from roller blades to cars to jet planes.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Really wish I could pre make bundles of arrows and select them from a menu instead of making therm one by one while in combat.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Really wish I could pre make bundles of arrows and select them from a menu instead of making therm one by one while in combat.

Yeah just having an equipment slot for type of arrows and letting you craft different arrows in bulk would help a lot I think. Just make 10 fire/ice/keese/whatever arrows and equip it when needed, would reduce the in combat menuing a lot

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, some weapon select wheels ala horizon would be more helpful. But saying that I think then it would need a fundamental change where say one Keese eyeball can make four arrows or something.

• Options
    I'd just settle for an autofuse option, where you could toggle on to just... Automatically use the last fused thing.

That alone would make using there various fangs/teeth etc a lot more fun.

I suspect they don't want to go the way of crafting bundles of things because even within the same effect - flaming arrows, as an example, there's at least three tiers of effect

Elemental Fruit makes a basic, small explosion
    Chu jelly makes a moderate explosion
    gemstones/dragon shards unleash a gigantic elemental explosion.
    Elemental eyeballs also make the giant explosion, but add homing.

Wings have at least 5 possibilities for outcomes (normal wings, elemental wings - I can't remember what size explosion these make; and rockets) plus a whole variety of damage profiles.

Autofuse and give me a grid to move through instead of a horizontal scroll, and I'd be very happy

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    One of the biggest surprises early on was how accessible elemental effects were. In BotW elemental weapons were a rare commodity. Making a camp fire required planning and forethought. In TotK elemental tools are plentiful. Fire arrows were a valuable tool in BotW. In TotK I have no real good reason to not make every normal arrow I use into a fire arrow.

• Options
    It spoils the food though.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    One of the biggest surprises early on was how accessible elemental effects were. In BotW elemental weapons were a rare commodity. Making a camp fire required planning and forethought. In TotK elemental tools are plentiful. Fire arrows were a valuable tool in BotW. In TotK I have no real good reason to not make every normal arrow I use into a fire arrow.

Yeah, in general the toolbox you have in Tears is great.

I'm genuinely sad about the no DLC, especially the no master mode - I'd have loved to see how I would have dealt with things when the game pushed me to use the full toolbox, rather than my current "how do I feel like offing this idiot" approach.

Then again, Gold Lynel Horns would probably outright shatter the already fragile late game balance, so hey.

Still fun to cruise around in the game and find koroks on occasion at least