As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Word. I've been idly replaying Odyssey because its been a while and what I really want is new Mario. DLC would have slotted into that very neatly, just have a branch off the world path etc

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Do they already have the GBA version of SMB3? As others have said, these 3 games are better played on the SNES app (through the cheaper online tier), but SMB3 at least has the E-reader levels.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yep SMA4:SMB3 is already there with the e-reader levels. I'm kind of surprised they released these, feels very un-Nintendo, but I guess they really need to pad things out...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the GBA remakes of those games are actually improvements on the originals in a few areas. I know the aspect ratio and screen zooming is a bit different, but there is definitely a segment that prefers the GBA versions of those games.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    It's a shame about the washed out colors on Super Mario World for GBA, but they had to try compensate for no backlight on the OG GBA. The washed out colors are really noticeable though, when you see it now, especially compared to the version I play constantly on my SNES mini.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I never owned a SNES (I was a NES to Genesis household growing up) so the GBA version of Mario World was the first time I beat it, and to this day the only time I've ever actually 100%'d the game. I played it a bunch on SNES at friends houses, but the GBA version was mine.

That's not to say its the best version, but it's definitely the one I have the fondest memories of for that reason.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think Yoshi's Island has a handful of new levels. I have a soft spot for SMB2, but I suppose it's functionally the same as the All-Stars version. And... yeah can't think of any reason you'd wanna play World over the original. I think the only meaningful thing they added was a tracker for the dragon coins. That does nothing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Luigi is also selectable in the GBA SMW, and he has his trademark higher jump/slippery controls. So that can give a different vibe.

There are reasons to revisit the GBA games, just not ones I thought Nintendo would consider valid. Maybe there's hope for Zero Mission yet!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The thing is, they don't advertise these little mods to the old games.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Super Mario Advance is one of my favorite ways to play one of my favorite Mario games, Super Mario Bros. 2.

Lord knows Nintendo is never going to give us a proper follow-up, apparently, but there is enough going on here to at least make the original experience feel a bit fresher if you really know the game inside and out. Particularly/especially if finding things is your bag.

Just too bad they can't seem to find a way to change the colors in the emulator or something to make these look more like their SNES counterparts.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Some thoughts on XC2 so far:

-I like that heart to hearts no longer have to basically be grinded for, you can just find and view them when available.

-The battle system feels way too busy. People complained that the combat in XC1 was too passive I guess so they went way too in the other direction. More repetitive QTE events, cancelling and element management than you'll ever need. I'm not saying its hard, just too much.

-a lot of the blade designs before playing you'll see on the net will have you bracing for it all being generic gacha waifus but there are some interesting ones in there. I've grown quite fond of Adenine and Boreas who is this weird giant ball rabbit possibly liquid metal...thing. Its not all horny Otaku bait, thankfully, but there is quite abit of that still going on.

-Collecting blades is a cool activity but the game tries its best to ruin that by basing a lot of them in some bizzare luck based rolls for cores rather than just having them found in the world in quests, locations or something more straightforward that actually could help encourage even more exploration of these massive maps.

-Field skills are a fun way to encourage keeping a wide variety of blades leveled and are pretty satisfying when you find one you can solve a problem with.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Adenine is best.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cores in XC2 should have just all been quest rewards. Can still be mostly random what you get, but still.

Designs are absolutely a mixed bag.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Cores in XC2 should have just all been quest rewards. Can still be mostly random what you get, but still.

Rares should have all been quest rewards and the gacha system for generics.

There're a lot of things they should've done differently in combat. The big one is that the orbs you get for finishing blade combos needed to be more meaningful in making you want to change elements, and the seal effects you get for the last completed combo are so meaningless since they disappear when you use a new combo and you want to cycle through combos to do damage.

It's also a very non-interactive system since you have almost no way of actively preventing or reacting to enemy abilities besides collecting healing pots.

I say this as someone who probably put 200 hours into the game including tons of speed running the game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The massive maps in the xenoblade games that they don't really use for anything but making you walk through them are one of the head-scratchingest things to me. They're so elaborate! But they're just big empty fields with monsters and generic pickups scattered evenly across them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Well, it's on the switch so

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    so is breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom!
    I heard breath of the wild leveraged the open world tech from the xeno games in fact, don't remember where I heard that though

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Monolith devs were tapped for both games iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The massive maps in the xenoblade games that they don't really use for anything but making you walk through them are one of the head-scratchingest things to me. They're so elaborate! But they're just big empty fields with monsters and generic pickups scattered evenly across them.

I think the Xeno games' big issue is they haven't figure out how you can interact with the game map in a way that isn't fight a dude or pick up a chest/collectible. You have these super cool rare look out points/secret areas, or just really cool views, and nothing you can do in them.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I think the Xeno games' big issue is they haven't figure out how you can interact with the game map in a way that isn't fight a dude or pick up a chest/collectible. You have these super cool rare look out points/secret areas, or just really cool views, and nothing you can do in them.

So what you’re saying is Xenoblade needs Koroks? o:)
    Or at least random ruins and villages full of side quests?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Future Redeemed is a smallish map but it is both densely packed and highly rewarding to explore every nook and cranny. If they can just scale that up they would have an absolute winner.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Rares should have all been quest rewards and the gacha system for generics.

There're a lot of things they should've done differently in combat. The big one is that the orbs you get for finishing blade combos needed to be more meaningful in making you want to change elements, and the seal effects you get for the last completed combo are so meaningless since they disappear when you use a new combo and you want to cycle through combos to do damage.

It's also a very non-interactive system since you have almost no way of actively preventing or reacting to enemy abilities besides collecting healing pots.

I say this as someone who probably put 200 hours into the game including tons of speed running the game.

The seals are useless because it's easier just to do buckets of damage, rather than try to do any given UM "right" by cancelling their rages and such. However, if you're unlucky with blades or aren't into creating broken builds, you can do any boss in the game with proper use of combo seals. Again, though, it's just that many who go down the path of fighting superbosses don't bother, because if you're doing that, you're probably already setting up broken Poppi or whoever builds.

Also by the time you get to the point you really need the seals, and are worried about cancelling their effects, you're likely at a point where you can rely on one specific blade to complete literally every orb you need to set up a combo that will insta-kill any given boss anyway.

But, Torna notwithstanding, XC2 is notoriously bad for explaining its combat system, so yeah, you're right about most of those things given that the average player isn't going to stumble upon how to do them "right" before stumbling on a crit/heal Mythra build.

And I really really wish they'd patch XC2 to just give you the god damned rare blades. It is stupid that the gatcha system exists at all. Thank god it never became paid, but it's still just tedious and save scumming (with cloud saves) is a way more effective way of hunting for blades than actually farming the cores, which is also painfully tedious no matter how you cut it. It really adds nothing to the game to have that extreme level of luck based randomness that even with the "gimmie" setup they have built in, can end up with some players getting absolutely shafted with rare blades for a majority of their playtime.

I love XC2 for a lot of reasons, but it is definitely at the bottom of the list of the series to actually play, for me.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

So what you’re saying is Xenoblade needs Koroks? o:)
    Or at least random ruins and villages full of side quests?

Expanding on rahkeesh2000's response to this, I think Future Redeemed's sort of metroidvania-like progression is a great solution to this problem. You put things like gem, art, and accessory slot unlocks in various spots in the map and it creates a great incentive to actually go there and find the obscure corners of the map. The only thing I'd change is to make sure that there are at least X+1 of each kind of thing, so if you miss one you aren't locked out of full power unless you decide to scour the territory you've already been over.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Merc group missions seemed like a great way to raise blades in XC2 until I realized the clock isn't running with the game off.

Ugh. Of course.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My 7-year old daughter wanted to play something new on the Switch and chose Capcom Arcade Collection. I only have Ghosts and Goblins and 1943 to play.

She chose G&G and I told her it was really hard. She starts and kills the first 2 zombies.

“This is easy!”
    *1 minute later*
    “Daddy! Why is this game so hard?!”

What follows is a 20 minute history lesson of arcade and how they made money while trying to beat stage 1. We never did.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My 7-year old daughter wanted to play something new on the Switch and chose Capcom Arcade Collection. I only have Ghosts and Goblins and 1943 to play.

She chose G&G and I told her it was really hard. She starts and kills the first 2 zombies.

“This is easy!”
    *1 minute later*

What follows is a 20 minute history lesson of arcade and how they made money while trying to beat stage 1. We never did.

Even among difficult older arcade titles, Ghosts & Goblins pulls some mean bullshit

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I don’t think I ever got more than 5 minutes into G&G and yet I loved it for some reason.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    That series is a great example of a thing that looks super easy when watching someone else do it, then you try it yourself and it's impossibly hard. Good and bad lessons one can take from that.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I remember reading an article expressing a sentiment along the lines of Ghosts & Goblins / Ghouls & Ghosts being one of the first kaizo games, in the sense that there are many, many pointlessly cruel constructs where the only way to bypass them is to know they're coming in advance and do something unintuitive, because the natural line makes something come out of the background and kill you, or takes away a platform that it looked like you were going to land on. The important thing to keep in mind to enjoy them is to treat them as a comedy and learn to laugh at the practical jokes being played on you. It's a very specific mindset that very few games demand of you, but it can really help you chill out when encountering more run-of-the-mill frustrations in other games.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

“This is easy!”
    *1 minute later*

Next is to teach her the Konami Code so she can see the wisdom behind it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I remember reading an article expressing a sentiment along the lines of Ghosts & Goblins / Ghouls & Ghosts being one of the first kaizo games, in the sense that there are many, many pointlessly cruel constructs where the only way to bypass them is to know they're coming in advance and do something unintuitive, because the natural line makes something come out of the background and kill you, or takes away a platform that it looked like you were going to land on. The important thing to keep in mind to enjoy them is to treat them as a comedy and learn to laugh at the practical jokes being played on you. It's a very specific mindset that very few games demand of you, but it can really help you chill out when encountering more run-of-the-mill frustrations in other games.

I've beat Ghosts & Goblins in recent memory using an emulator and copious save states to just restart a screen or two back on each death, treating it as if it were in the same genre as the uber-punishing platformers of last decade such as Celeste, Super Meat Boy, I Wanna Be the Guy, etc. It lends itself fairly well to that "die frequently, restart instantly, try again" gameplay loop. Starting again from the very beginning, though, you'd have to be a complete masochist to do that to yourself (note: 7-year-old me was that masochist when I owned G&G on the NES and never made it past level 3 despite years of trying).

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    As someone who never owned a ds or 3ds, I am quite hyped by the imminent Etrian Odyssey releases. I'm not sure how big the market is for a super old school, primitive graphics, hardcore dungeon crawler, especially at the price they are charging, but I personally am looking forward to making a squad (and possibly a 2nd squad or just a couple of swap in guys to try all the classes) and facing some brutally unfair BS.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I played a couple of the Etrian Odyssey games, and they were great fun. They are Atlas games, so there are some blegh character designs. The gameplay is funs as heck tough as nails grid dungeon exploration though, and especially in 4 you could build a party with some really fun synergies to play off one another. I'd love to replay some on a screen that doesn't burn out my poor old eyes.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This week's eShop update

Switch Retail

Fitness Circuit – $49.99 (available May 26)

Switch Download

A Western Drama – $19.99
    Akaiito HD Remaster – $11.99
    Aoishiro HD Remaster – $11.99
    Arcade Archives Ark Area – $7.99
    Bat Boy – $14.99
    Bee in the Valley – $4.99
    BlackSmith Hit – $4.99
    Bubble Bird – $0.99
    Cassette Beasts – $19.99
    Chasm: The Rift – $19.99
    Chronicles of 2 Heroes: Amaterasu’s Wrath – $19.99 (available May 26)
    Coloring Pixels: Collection 3 – $7.95
    End of Lines – $16.99
    Fantasy Tower Defense – $2.99
    Fights in Tight Spaces – $24.99
    Finally, in Love Again – $29.99
    Hello Goodboy – $14.99
    Hello Kitty and Friends Happiness Paradise – $19.99
    Home Sweet Home – $9.99 (available May 27)
    Hush Hush – $20.00
    Johnny Trigger – $4.99 (available May 26)
    Laserpitium – $14.99 (available May 31)
    Maquette – $19.99
    Marlon’s Mystery: The Darkside of Crime – $9.99
    Move the Pin: Classic Logic Puzzle – $9.99
    Mystical Mixing – $4.99 (available May 26)
    Mythargia – $5.99 (available May 31)
    Onigo Hunter – $14.99
    PI.EXE – $5.99
    Pulling no Punches – $9.99
    Puzzle by Nikoli S Numberlink – $4.99
    Replikator – $9.99 (available May 26)
    RINA: RhythmError – $3.99
    Rubberduck Wave Racer – $19.99
    Santa’s Monster Shootout – $1.99
    Serene Hike – $4.99
    Skye Tales – $24.99 (available May 26)
    Smash Out – $0.99
    Spectrolite – $13.99
    Star Gagnant – $38.00
    Sudoku: Casual Board Game – $9.99
    Super Night Riders – $4.99
    Terracotta – $19.99
    The Blind Prophet – $24.99 (available May 26)
    The Case of the Golden Idol – $17.99
    The Tartatus Key – $19.99 (available May 31)
    Theft Ride Legacy – $19.99
    To Hell with the Ugly – $19.99 (available May 30)
    To the Rescue – $19.99
    True Disc Golf – $14.99
    Undead Horde 2: Necropolis – $16.99 (available May 31)
    Vaccine Rebirth – $6.99
    Waifu Space Conquest – $4.99
    Welcome Kokuri-san – $24.99

eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop sales on Nintendo Switch:
    Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/store/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ah fuck Etrian Odyssey is next week?! I have a 8 hour trip coming up this weekend. Would have loved to dig into a gridder.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    As someone who never owned a ds or 3ds, I am quite hyped by the imminent Etrian Odyssey releases. I'm not sure how big the market is for a super old school, primitive graphics, hardcore dungeon crawler, especially at the price they are charging, but I personally am looking forward to making a squad (and possibly a 2nd squad or just a couple of swap in guys to try all the classes) and facing some brutally unfair BS.

Don't know how well it will natively attract new players at that price point, but anyone who is already familiar will understand that's a hell of a deal, considering. I suspect there will be quite a few word-of-mouth sales going on with it.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    R-dem wrote: »
    I played a couple of the Etrian Odyssey games, and they were great fun. They are Atlas games, so there are some blegh character designs. The gameplay is funs as heck tough as nails grid dungeon exploration though, and especially in 4 you could build a party with some really fun synergies to play off one another. I'd love to replay some on a screen that doesn't burn out my poor old eyes.

In terms of the genre on switch, creepy character design/mechanics put me off from getting Mary Skelter. I have heard good things of the difficulty and game design, but licking, removing clothes of anime girls as they power up? Nope, sorry I'm not going to go there.

I thought Labyrinth of Refrain was excellent though, in terms of challenge, exploration and a surprisingly interesting fairy tale/witches story.

Stranger of Sword City/Sapphire Wings I did finish , but was not really impressed with. The Sword City game was by far the better of the 2 at least with a lot of freedom on team creation, where to go and difficulty and some impressive OSTs. Sapphire I felt was just generally a bit mediocre unless really obsessed with gridding as I apparently am.

Edit: Somehow forgetting Operencia. Quite a linear experience but I still enjoyed it. More of these games should have puzzles.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    I really hope this Vess questline in XC2 is as tragic as it seems.

Depress the hell out of me, Monolith Soft daddy.