Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

19495969798100»

Posts

  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    How is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown? I see it's discounted on the digital store.

    It's Hollow Knight with a Prince of Persia protagonist. It's pretty good for the most part.

  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Just don't expect a lot from the story.

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Woops, hit the wrong button.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I picked up Prince of Persia on sale, and I've put in some time, but probably less than halfway done. I'm really enjoying it so far. I agree that the story isn't very interesting, but honestly, when a game is actually fun like this, I can be really forgiving of a mediocre story. I think good gameplay can carry a bad story way more easily than a good story can carry a bad game.

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I picked up Prince of Persia on sale, and I've put in some time, but probably less than halfway done. I'm really enjoying it so far. I agree that the story isn't very interesting, but honestly, when a game is actually fun like this, I can be really forgiving of a mediocre story. I think good gameplay can carry a bad story way more easily than a good story can carry a bad game.

    I liked it a lot once I turned down a couple of the difficulty sliders down a bit. But otherwise yes, a very good metroidvania game. If you like Metroid games, you need to play the most recent Prince of Persia

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really hope custom difficulty options become more widespread. They can really take a good game and make it even better.

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I really hope custom difficulty options become more widespread. They can really take a good game and make it even better.

    Yep. I am bad at parry mechanics, so I turned that down and it made the game 100% better for me. I also appreciate that if there's a boss I'm having trouble with and I'm frankly at the point in my life where dying 20 times at a boss is no longer interesting to me, I can turn down a couple things to make the boss easier to get past, then go back to normal after.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I really hope custom difficulty options become more widespread. They can really take a good game and make it even better.

    Yep. I am bad at parry mechanics, so I turned that down and it made the game 100% better for me. I also appreciate that if there's a boss I'm having trouble with and I'm frankly at the point in my life where dying 20 times at a boss is no longer interesting to me, I can turn down a couple things to make the boss easier to get past, then go back to normal after.

    And this is a perfect example of how custom settings offer so much more than preset modes. I'm perfectly good with the parry timing, but still want to sometimes make small tweaks to damage levels while keeping everything else the same.

  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I still don't know where to fully side of the idea of this trend of fully customizable difficulty. I'm not against it. But it is tact admission that you the developer don't know how to balance your game and are just kicking the can to me, the player. And I don't know if I can be trusted with that responsibility. Especially when you go for broke and just hoist 20+ options onto me. You're the developer. At some level, this is *your* job, not mine.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I still don't know where to fully side of the idea of this trend of fully customizable difficulty. I'm not against it. But it is tact admission that you the developer don't know how to balance your game and are just kicking the can to me, the player. And I don't know if I can be trusted with that responsibility. Especially when you go for broke and just hoist 20+ options onto me. You're the developer. At some level, this is *your* job, not mine.

    My response to that is "Balanced for who?" Not only do different people have different skills levels, but people have different preferences of how difficult they want a game to be relative to their own skill level. Hell, my desired difficulty level can change from day to day. Sometimes I want a challenge. I want a game that's going to kick me in the figurative nuts until I power through it. Some days I just want enough challenge to feel engaged without being overwhelmed.

    It's impossible to perfectly balance difficulty, so why not give us the tools to balance it to our own personal perfection, and have difficulty presets for people that don't want to think about it?

  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Difficulty sliders, especially granular ones, are accessibility tools. Some people are physically incapable of the fine motor control needed for quick, reflex based things like parrying. A dev team that is willing to put in extra effort to make those sliders and add accessibility like that is not just "kicking the can" to you. They're making sure that people who otherwise would not be able to play the game can play it.

  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I still don't know where to fully side of the idea of this trend of fully customizable difficulty. I'm not against it. But it is tact admission that you the developer don't know how to balance your game and are just kicking the can to me, the player. And I don't know if I can be trusted with that responsibility. Especially when you go for broke and just hoist 20+ options onto me. You're the developer. At some level, this is *your* job, not mine.

    My response to that is "Balanced for who?" Not only do different people have different skills levels, but people have different preferences of how difficult they want a game to be relative to their own skill level. Hell, my desired difficulty level can change from day to day. Sometimes I want a challenge. I want a game that's going to kick me in the figurative nuts until I power through it. Some days I just want enough challenge to feel engaged without being overwhelmed.

    It's impossible to perfectly balance difficulty, so why not give us the tools to balance it to our own personal perfection, and have difficulty presets for people that don't want to think about it?

    In a completely unrelated post I made in the Balatro thread...
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Trying to finish unlocking all the decks, which means going through all the different colored difficulty levels.

    As I get older, I find increased difficulty (Heat in Hades, Ascension in Slay the Spire, etc) especially in roguelikes, to be frustrating. I'm happy difficulty levels exist, but tying unlocks to them is a bit of a bummer. Oh well, I'm sure I can luck through a few Joker builds to get through any difficulty run.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I think difficulty settings + custom adjustments is the most ideal. The preset modes offer a baseline of difficulty then the custom settings can adjust as needed by the player. It can potentially require a lot of effort though, so the developers probably need to incorporate it into their design from the very beginning. If they are there great, if not, oh well. Another possibility is use the Nintendo strategy, and eventually give the player an item that lets them fully bypass certain sections of the game, should they choose (aka invincibility suit in Mario 3D World etc.). That strategy though does not offer any granularity, it's all or nothing. Depending on the type of game being made, custom difficulty settings will tend to be a lower priority to implement (I personally always saw them as a bonus to encourage replayability).

    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's a delicate balance between general difficulty options. And then something like Palworld that has 1-100 sliders for shit like:

    -HP
    -Damage to and from pals
    -Player stamina
    -Pal stamina
    -Player hunger
    -Pal hunger
    -Exp rate
    -Capture rate
    -Item degradation rate
    -Structure degredation rate
    -Item respawn rate
    -Egg hatching rate

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ. You the developer are the one making this and have intimate knowledge of your game. Are you telling me you don't know how to properly balance this shit?! Because I sure as shit don't with this ridiculous influx of options!

    Being able to adjust the parry timer is one thing. Because yeah, half second windows are bullshit. If you're just going to program an option to turn it off completely, perhaps you need to step back and ask yourself if your game even needs a parry system in the first place.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I think and hope part of the trend we are seeing towards more granular difficulty controls relates to the fact that there's a generation of gamers who might have been young adults around the late 1980's and into the 1990's that are now getting into their 60's. The stigma that people "grow out of video games" is not as much a thing anymore, and there needs to be an acknowledgement that maybe someone in their 60's might not have the same needs as a gamer in their 20's, despite wanting to play the same games.

    As was said above, more granular control over how a game plays is an accessibility setting. I hope that when I'm in my 60's I'm still able and wanting to play video games, but I know I won't be able to do it at the level I currently can in my 30's.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There's a delicate balance between general difficulty options. And then something like Palworld that has 1-100 sliders for shit like:

    -HP
    -Damage to and from pals
    -Player stamina
    -Pal stamina
    -Player hunger
    -Pal hunger
    -Exp rate
    -Capture rate
    -Item degradation rate
    -Structure degredation rate
    -Item respawn rate
    -Egg hatching rate

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ. You the developer are the one making this and have intimate knowledge of your game. Are you telling me you don't know how to properly balance this shit?! Because I sure as shit don't with this ridiculous influx of options!

    Being able to adjust the parry timer is one thing. Because yeah, half second windows are bullshit. If you're just going to program an option to turn it off completely, perhaps you need to step back and ask yourself if your game even needs a parry system in the first place.

    Some of those seem like things that are stuff some people would love to just say "I don't want to deal with this mechanic" on so...

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    There's a delicate balance between general difficulty options. And then something like Palworld that has 1-100 sliders for shit like:

    -HP
    -Damage to and from pals
    -Player stamina
    -Pal stamina
    -Player hunger
    -Pal hunger
    -Exp rate
    -Capture rate
    -Item degradation rate
    -Structure degredation rate
    -Item respawn rate
    -Egg hatching rate

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ. You the developer are the one making this and have intimate knowledge of your game. Are you telling me you don't know how to properly balance this shit?! Because I sure as shit don't with this ridiculous influx of options!

    Being able to adjust the parry timer is one thing. Because yeah, half second windows are bullshit. If you're just going to program an option to turn it off completely, perhaps you need to step back and ask yourself if your game even needs a parry system in the first place.

    I've never played it, but does the game have preset difficulties or preset values for all those? Those type of options seem core to the game and thus trivial to change, so maybe as a bonus they figured they could also expose the options to the player to adjust, should they want. Games with that many options are definitely more rare.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think and hope part of the trend we are seeing towards more granular difficulty controls relates to the fact that there's a generation of gamers who might have been young adults around the late 1980's and into the 1990's that are now getting into their 60's. The stigma that people "grow out of video games" is not as much a thing anymore, and there needs to be an acknowledgement that maybe someone in their 60's might not have the same needs as a gamer in their 20's, despite wanting to play the same games.

    As was said above, more granular control over how a game plays is an accessibility setting. I hope that when I'm in my 60's I'm still able and wanting to play video games, but I know I won't be able to do it at the level I currently can in my 30's.

    eh, I think preset difficulties largely address this need. The number of people who want to play on some higher difficulty but tweak a couple settings is most likely small. Not every game has to be accessible as that is not the game's target.

    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Palworld defaults are fine for playing. At one point i adjusted the egg hatching timer because i didn't feel the need to sit and wait for that, but i did do it until end of game. I wish more games gave lower level tweaking to things. You can still have a beginner, intermediate, advance general toggle and then allow for custom in a lot of games.

  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm always in favor of more options over fewer options. But I do agree that giving players a shit-ton of options up front can be overwhelming to many of them. So I think it's best to have 3 levels.

    Level I: Choose from 3 or 4 preset difficulties, with one option being the default "best experience".

    Level II: Custom difficulty options. A relatively small number of sliders and toggles. Things like damage ratios, timing windows, and assist features.

    Level III: Advanced difficulty options. Sliders for everything. EVERYTHING!

  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    I'd like to add that, if a game is going to add difficulty sliders, please, please, please do not also disable content if the player changes those values. This includes trivial things like access to trophies and achievements. There should never be a need to add a warning message to the difficulty adjustment screen. Also, please stop hiding secret/"true" endings behind difficulty gates.

  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    There's a delicate balance between general difficulty options. And then something like Palworld that has 1-100 sliders for shit like:

    -HP
    -Damage to and from pals
    -Player stamina
    -Pal stamina
    -Player hunger
    -Pal hunger
    -Exp rate
    -Capture rate
    -Item degradation rate
    -Structure degredation rate
    -Item respawn rate
    -Egg hatching rate

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ. You the developer are the one making this and have intimate knowledge of your game. Are you telling me you don't know how to properly balance this shit?! Because I sure as shit don't with this ridiculous influx of options!

    Being able to adjust the parry timer is one thing. Because yeah, half second windows are bullshit. If you're just going to program an option to turn it off completely, perhaps you need to step back and ask yourself if your game even needs a parry system in the first place.

    I've never played it, but does the game have preset difficulties or preset values for all those? Those type of options seem core to the game and thus trivial to change, so maybe as a bonus they figured they could also expose the options to the player to adjust, should they want. Games with that many options are definitely more rare.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think and hope part of the trend we are seeing towards more granular difficulty controls relates to the fact that there's a generation of gamers who might have been young adults around the late 1980's and into the 1990's that are now getting into their 60's. The stigma that people "grow out of video games" is not as much a thing anymore, and there needs to be an acknowledgement that maybe someone in their 60's might not have the same needs as a gamer in their 20's, despite wanting to play the same games.

    As was said above, more granular control over how a game plays is an accessibility setting. I hope that when I'm in my 60's I'm still able and wanting to play video games, but I know I won't be able to do it at the level I currently can in my 30's.

    eh, I think preset difficulties largely address this need. The number of people who want to play on some higher difficulty but tweak a couple settings is most likely small. Not every game has to be accessible as that is not the game's target.

    Hard disagree, and quite frankly, that's a very ablest statement. Just because there's a minority of people who may benefit from customizable settings that means they're not worth it? Stop long and hard and think about that.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The introduction of difficulty sliders also feels a bit like a return to the days of cheat codes, which I think would be a positive thing.

  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »
    There's a delicate balance between general difficulty options. And then something like Palworld that has 1-100 sliders for shit like:

    -HP
    -Damage to and from pals
    -Player stamina
    -Pal stamina
    -Player hunger
    -Pal hunger
    -Exp rate
    -Capture rate
    -Item degradation rate
    -Structure degredation rate
    -Item respawn rate
    -Egg hatching rate

    Jesus Tapdancin' Christ. You the developer are the one making this and have intimate knowledge of your game. Are you telling me you don't know how to properly balance this shit?! Because I sure as shit don't with this ridiculous influx of options!

    Being able to adjust the parry timer is one thing. Because yeah, half second windows are bullshit. If you're just going to program an option to turn it off completely, perhaps you need to step back and ask yourself if your game even needs a parry system in the first place.

    I've never played it, but does the game have preset difficulties or preset values for all those? Those type of options seem core to the game and thus trivial to change, so maybe as a bonus they figured they could also expose the options to the player to adjust, should they want. Games with that many options are definitely more rare.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think and hope part of the trend we are seeing towards more granular difficulty controls relates to the fact that there's a generation of gamers who might have been young adults around the late 1980's and into the 1990's that are now getting into their 60's. The stigma that people "grow out of video games" is not as much a thing anymore, and there needs to be an acknowledgement that maybe someone in their 60's might not have the same needs as a gamer in their 20's, despite wanting to play the same games.

    As was said above, more granular control over how a game plays is an accessibility setting. I hope that when I'm in my 60's I'm still able and wanting to play video games, but I know I won't be able to do it at the level I currently can in my 30's.

    eh, I think preset difficulties largely address this need. The number of people who want to play on some higher difficulty but tweak a couple settings is most likely small. Not every game has to be accessible as that is not the game's target.

    Hard disagree, and quite frankly, that's a very ablest statement. Just because there's a minority of people who may benefit from customizable settings that means they're not worth it? Stop long and hard and think about that.

    Why jump right to discrimination? Not everything is designed with everyone in mind. A developer may decide they want the player to achieve a certain level of skill to complete a task, and that's up to them if they want to do that. This may alienate people who can't complete the task, for whatever the reasons may be. Preset difficulties can help overcome it, but some choose not to have them.

    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    L
    Cururu wrote: »
    I'd like to add that, if a game is going to add difficulty sliders, please, please, please do not also disable content if the player changes those values. This includes trivial things like access to trophies and achievements. There should never be a need to add a warning message to the difficulty adjustment screen. Also, please stop hiding secret/"true" endings behind difficulty gates.

    I'd agree aside from things like trophies, there'll always be incentive for someone to clear high difficulties and/or go after absurd challenges, or they're not really achievements anymore.

    (It also encourages players to push the envelope and get better, so I'm for it to an extent, as long as it's not stupid things like, say, beating an RPG without saving or dying.)

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 18
    Yea that extra challenge or whatever is the whole point of trophies.

    It serves no purpose except to be that personal accomplishment for the player.

    It's the same as picking a hard difficulty. It's just there for someone that enjoys that specific thing. It's ok for those people to have those things and for others to ignore them.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a push and a pull there. If someone wants to get the "Beat the game on the Hardest Difficulty" achievement while also using options to make themself invincible and the enemies die in one hit, they're really just asking for a "Give me the achievements automatically" button, which isn't the same thing as accessibility. This is a different issue from "I DO want to play the game on the most challenging setting, however, my hand physically cannot do button mashing tests." Imo, a cheat that lets you skip literally any piece of content in any (non-multiplayer) game is above board and worth having, I just don't think using such a thing should grant achievements/trophies as the qualifier there is that you did so to whatever standard was decided on by the dev.

  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

    Fuuuuck. That's a damn good deal.....

  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    you're not the boss of me

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    you're not the boss of me

    To: @BahamutZERO
    From: MNC Dover
    Subject: New thread

    Hello Final Fantasy VII final summon materia Bahamut Zero,

    I recently saw your post indicating that I am, and I quote "not the boss of me". While it's true that I'm not a PA MOD, know that the previous post provided links to help you navigate the transition from this old thread to the new thread, as this thread will no longer be supported. It's an unwritten PA forum policy to close down threads when they reach their 100th page for a variety of practical and technical reason.

    I understand that people can get attached to things and certainly don't like being told what to do, but I hope you now realize my previous post was not an attack on your being or a demand, but rather a simple call to action to raise awareness of the new Nintendo Switch thread. If you continue to use this thread, which is your right, understand that you'll quickly find yourself as the only one left posting here...which is something the MODS will frown upon. Continued posting in this thread my also incur the wrath of "The Robot that shall not be named" to come to this thread and maliciously close it.

    Thank you for your understand and continued support of the Nintendo Switch thread,

    MNC Dover

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tl;dr

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    Get Played Switch Console draft episode where Nick, Heather, and Matt have to pick their five favorite games from the system. For me, its really close between Nick and and Matt in terms of which one I think is best, but I think Wiger wins by a narrow margin.

    https://headgum.com/get-played/console-draft-nintendo-switch#player
    Nick had: Breath of the Wild, Hades, Super Mario Wonder, Celeste, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons

    Matt had: Mario Kart 8: Delux, Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Dread, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and some Final Fantasy collection

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
Sign In or Register to comment.