As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kaplan and Harrison leaving nintendo?? Wha??

GuekGuek Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
ow that the June deadline date for Nintendo of America staff has reared its head, the fallout from Nintendo’s Sales and Marketing move has been leaked. According to our sources, approximately 90% of the Nintendo of America Sales and Marketing Staff has decided not to make the move to either San Francisco or New York, thereby taking a severance and leaving the company.

Three key executives will be leaving Nintendo of America, including Senior Director of Public Relations Beth Llewelyn; Vice President, Marking and Corporate Affairs Perrin Kaplan; and Senior Vice President, Marketing and Corporate Communications George Harrison. When these three will actually depart the company is unknown at this time, however, we’re betting on the fact that they’ll stay with Nintendo of America until the upcoming E3 show is over.

Currently, this basically wipes out the majority of Nintendo of America’s key marketing executives. The only two major executives remaining at Nintendo of America include Chairman and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima and President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. However, whether or not they will be packing a U-Haul and trekking to San Francisco or New York is unknown at this time.

Game Informer Online has interviewed all three of these executives countless times in the past years, and we wish them well in their future endeavors.

We have contacted our reps at Nintendo to get “official” word, and are still waiting to hear back with a statement.
source

well there's no final word yet but I would be surprised if this were true. hopefully we'll have a better idea soon. harrison i don't really have an opinion about but kaplan seems like she's done a pretty good job for as long as I can remember.

Guek on

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wasn't Kaplan the one that gave the public wrong information on more than one occasion?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What I don't understand is what is causing this "move or die" ultimatum. Or why.

Stupid uninformative article.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isnt Kaplan also the one that called luke smith a fucking asshole on the 1up show.

like literally 'you are a fucking asshole'

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What have either of these guys done? NoA isn't exactly known for awesome advertising.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Weren't these two the guys who did what Reggie did before Reggie was conceived by the demon's of hell?

I really can't tell you anything they've done, but I do know they've been with Nintendo since I was old enough to realize Nintendo wasn't an entity whose sole purpose was to provide me fun, but and actual company designed to make cash moneys.

That's a long time. I'm old.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Who?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm a little surprised that they are quitting instead of staying on. Then again, if I was asked to move, I would do the same thing.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Isnt Kaplan also the one that called luke smith a fucking asshole on the 1up show.

I don't remember that. During an interview with Luke, she did say something about her "fucking neighbors" keeping her up all night.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Geeze, now who will flirt with the guy from IGN? Isn't that what Kaplan's speciality was?

Why did she call Luke Smith an asshole - was it because he was just a jerk about the Wii in general?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    What I don't understand is what is causing this "move or die" ultimatum. Or why.

Stupid uninformative article.

Eh, this is pretty standard practice for a company that's moving from City A to City B. They tell the worker his job is safe as long as they move.

Though I am curious as to why Ninty's dividing its North American operations among several cities now.

And it won't really affect the company much. Sony went many, MANY months without a head PR person during the leadup and launch of the PS3, and they did just fine.

*blink*

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Voth wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised that they are quitting instead of staying on. Then again, if I was asked to move, I would do the same thing.

Yeah, but they probably make enough money they could fly back to Redmond every weekend, and not even blink at the cost.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

really? if thats true my opinion of her has just risen dramatically

edit: and herby, if she did call him an asshole i'm pretty sure its because..well..he's an asshole =0

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Geeze, now who will flirt with the guy from IGN? Isn't that what Kaplan's speciality was?

Why did she call Luke Smith an asshole - was it because he was just a jerk about the Wii in general?

O_o

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

O_o

I seem to remember him asking questions purposely to be a tool like "why didn't you just make the wiimote for the Cube" type of stuff.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish my company would move. I love my job so much, but this city I'm in is not where I want to end up in life.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    What have either of these guys done? NoA isn't exactly known for awesome advertising.

Huh.

I remember a near orgasmic feeling in my pants the first time I saw Majora's Mask adverts in theaters.

Sheep on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Wasn't Kaplan the one that gave the public wrong information on more than one occasion?

She's the one who said the Wii would be region free.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Though I am curious as to why Ninty's dividing its North American operations among several cities now.
    No, they would move everything to one city and leave WA for good.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    reggierp0.jpg

Stupid smug bastard!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We loves us some Reggie.

Kind of amazing to see George decide to get the Axe instead of moving around seeing as he's been there for a crap of a long time. Maybe they prefer to walk down the street and work for Microsoft? Like Ken Lobbs useless ass.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There isnt enough room at Nintendo for them AND Reggie.

Shit, there really isnt enough room at Nintendo for Shiggsy, Iwata and the thousands of employees AND Reggie, but he is a forgiving soul.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's pretty simple, really. They probably both have families, spouses/SOs, friends in this area (I also work in Redmond, it's a great place). Just because the job moves doesn't mean you have to. With their experience, and the huge number of gaming companies in the Greater Seattle area, I'm sure they have plenty of opportunities to remain in the industry, if they choose to stay in it. Or heck, they could move to a new industry, or just take an early retirement.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm sure their severance pay was nothing to laugh at.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bet Reggie ate them.

bruin on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

O_o

I seem to remember him asking questions purposely to be a tool like "why didn't you just make the wiimote for the Cube" type of stuff.
    It's a valid question.

Fawning over people isn't an interview, it's a gushing session.

I respect 1up because they actually conduct interviews. From the hard hitting questions about the validity of the 360 that pissed of Microsoft fanboys, to the questions of the Wii hardware that pissed off Nintendo fanboys. They've always been pissy to Sony too.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Karf wrote: »

O_o

It's a valid question.

I respect 1up because they actually conduct interviews. From the hard hitting questions about the validity of the 360 that pissed of Microsoft fanboys, to the questions of the Wii hardware that pissed off Nintendo fanboys. They've always been pissy to Sony too.
    Asking why they didn't just make a wiimote for the Cube is retarded. It isn't hard hitting. If you want, I can list every reason it is retarded for you.
    Here is a start:
    1. Wii has better hardware so there will be Wii games that couldn't be done on the Gamecube.
    2. The number of developers who would actually use it would be limited to pretty much just Nintendo if they released it for the Cube.
    3. Why didn't Nintendo just release the N64 controller as an addon and use a more traditional controller like the SNES controller as the main controller? The reason is because they thought the N64 controller was better than the SNES controller for what they wanted to do.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

It's a valid question.

Asking why they didn't just make a wiimote for the Cube is retarded. It isn't hard hitting. If you want, I can list every reason it is retarded for you.
    Here is a start:
    1. Wii has better hardware.
    2. The number of developers who would actually use it would be limited to pretty much just Nintendo if they released it for the Cube.

1. Hardware has nothing to do with control scheme

2. Exactly the same situation happening on the Wii.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

It's a valid question.

Here is a start:

I'm not even sure if he asked that. If he did, he probably meant it as a joke. It's no secret that Luke Smith was not impressed with the Wii after its launch, but that doesn't sound like a serious question at all.

I was more concerned over the fact that people here think that saying something negative about the Wii makes you an asshole.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

It's a valid question.

Here is a start:

1. Hardware has nothing to do with control scheme

2. Exactly the same situation happening on the Wii.

1. Hardware helps a developer do more with the controller. Take Elebits for example. It would be pretty hard to do that without the hardware to render any of the physics well. There will be games that will use the Wii hardware to do some interesting stuff in games.
    2. Nearly every Wii game uses the waggle. It might not use it that well, but they do use it. How many people would use a controller that only a few of the people who own the system have? Everybody with a Wii has the Wiimote.

4. The Gamecube was fucking dead around that time. Companies don't like to release shit for consoles that are basically dead.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm sure their severance pay was nothing to laugh at.

agreed.

And a top executive from a company making record profits? I'm sure headhunters are slavering and scratching at their door.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why they're branching out from Washington. They're leaving an expensive area of the country to split up and move to two even more expensive areas, San Francisco and NYC.

WA has been a hub for the technology center for evers, why leave now?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't wait for Perrin to become an xbox shill.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wonder if this means they are selling the Mariners.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Good question.

I remember one of the weirdest things I saw when I first moved into this area, was one of the ballpark ads right behind the batter/catcher being in Japanese (katakana, to be exact), advertising some Nintendo product.

The Mariners aren't doing too bad this year. They're over .500, Ichiro continues to play well, and they're all in all much better than they have been for the past few years. If they wanted to sell, it might be a good year to do so, as they'd get a decent price for the team.

JCRooks on

• Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »

Good question.

I remember one of the weirdest things I saw when I first moved into this area, was one of the ballpark ads right behind the batter/catcher being in Japanese (katakana, to be exact), advertising some Nintendo product.

The Mariners aren't doing too bad this year. They're over .500, Ichiro continues to play well, and they're all in all much better than they have been for the past few years. If they wanted to sell, it might be a good year to do so, as they'd get a decent price for the team.

I agree on this, don't think they will pick up over their average anytime soon...

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Whoa, whoa!

Seriously?

I have to track down that episode.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't know why they're branching out from Washington. They're leaving an expensive area of the country to split up and move to two even more expensive areas, San Francisco and NYC.

That's what I really don't understand about this. San Francisco and New York are probably the most expensive places in the USA to live. Why would they be relocating employees to San Francisco and New York. How many people are they relocating? When I first heard about it, I couldn't help but think "how'd those marketing folks contrive a business case for moving to New York on the company's dime?"

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    edited June 2007

That's what I really don't understand about this. San Francisco and New York are probably the most expensive places in the USA to live. Why would they be relocating employees to San Francisco and New York. How many people are they relocating? When I first heard about it, I couldn't help but think "how'd those marketing folks contrive a business case for moving to New York on the company's dime?"

Just because San Francisco is an expensive place to live, doesn't mean there are many reasons to relocate your company there. After all, there's a reason why many tech companies have moved there or remain in that area.

Also, I don't know if you guys realized, but this is just the sales and marketing teams. The main Nintendo HQ actually stays where it is. This makes more sense now. Seattle definitely has been a hub for technology over the years, but not necessarily for sales and marketing. There may be better "synergy" moving those teams to San Francisco, especially considering many magazines are based out of that area (including EGM and 1UP).

That actually makes me feel better. I was worried I'd never get a chance to see the Nintendo company store. :)

JCRooks on

• Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You can't have your people on TV or interviewed directly by the press if you're nowhere near the press. The two largest places in the US for technology press are ... drum roll ... New York and San Francisco. That's why they're only moving marketing.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I bet Reggie ate them.

I'll take that bet. What would want to eat Kaplan? She'd taste like evil and communism.

As for Luke Smith, I like him but his interviews suck. He tries to be hard hitting but he just ends up looking like an idiot. Case in point: Asking David Jaffe if Sony sent Resistance to die. It was the fastest selling game Insomniac had ever released, so it must be dead, m i rite?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid