As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ITS A [movies] FIRESALE (CRITERON SALE ENDS 7/28, ARROW SALE ENDS 7/31)

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I started with Fast Five and I figure I won't go back and watch the first until the entire series is over. Funnier that way.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm only up to part 4 in the series

The good news is that they start getting truly good after that

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    1 hour until Fast X! I’ve managed to stay as blind as possible going in.

Please be careful on the stairs

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

That's how Paul Walker died!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Chall wrote: »

That's how Paul Walker died!

I don’t think this is correct.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Tallahasseeriel

The 4th is the overall worst movie in my opinion.

It’s like they tried to bring everything back down to earth and instead managed to make it boring.

Five is the first of the true shark jumped movies and it’s probably the best of them.

Each movie after 5 gets more and unhinged

• Options
    edited May 2023
    There’s a new Robert Rodriguez movie?

Starring Ben Affleck?

Weird…I had zero idea

(Apologies for the triple post)

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Going from one to nine is like listening to the first episode of a dnd podcast then jumping to the last one where everyone has like +10 to all stats and they have to fight god to give it any kind of challenge.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Except in that case the DM would put them in an impossible life-or-death situation that can only be resolved using the last stolen TV-DVD player combo that someone has had in their pack the entire time.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Fast X was everything I have come to expect from the franchise.

Nobody has ever had more fun than Jason Momoa had making that movie

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    You won't cry, I won't screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I can’t believe after 10 movies we just now learned that Dom is Wolverine

• Options
    The Gran Turismo movie looks…surprisingly decent?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why didn't anyone talk about Love Again? It stars Celine Dion as herself helping a guy hook up with a widow for some reason?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Killers of the Flower Moon just finished its Cannes premiere

100% on Rotten Tomatoes so far

Sims wrote:
    In an interview with Deadline previewing the movie, Scorsese explained why he shifted focus from Tom White and the Bureau of Investigation. Essentially, he didn’t want to make a movie about government cops riding to the rescue. “It was something we’ve seen before,” he said. “Look, the minute the FBI comes in, and you see a character that would be played by Robert De Niro, Bill Hale, you know he’s a bad guy. There’s no mystery. So, what is it? A police procedural? Who cares!” In prioritizing the story of Mollie, the corrupt Bill, and the complicit Ernest, Scorsese opts out of a heroes-versus-villains Western and offers a more modern American tragedy: that of the insidious colonial refusal to accept Native Americans’ own agency.

As such, Killers of the Flower Moon is of a piece with not only The Irishman but also Scorsese’s other recent film Silence. These works have a much more melancholic energy than his baroque, frenzied prior efforts—The Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island, and The Departed. The 80-year-old director is undeniably in the twilight of his career—“I want to tell stories, and there’s no more time,” he told Deadline. Fittingly, Killers of the Flower Moon is paced deliberately, almost like an elegy. It’s also one of the most rewarding projects of his long career, a sign that Scorsese has no intention of fading away—even as the film landscape transforms around him yet again.
    As good as those frequent Scorsese collaborators are, however, the revelation for many will be the wondrous Lily Gladstone as Mollie Kyle, the woman unfortunate enough to marry gold-digger Ernest...In addition to Plemons and Lithgow, who make their relatively brief screen time count, there are some incisive supporting turns in the mix, including indigenous Canadian veteran Tantoo Cardinal

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    We watched Nebraska last night. I really liked it, but my wife thought it was too depressing.

Now we're watching Drop Dead Gorgeous, which seems great so far, though it does have your typical collar-tugging moments that are unavoidable in 90s comedies

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I for one am shocked and befuddled and entirely gobsmacked by how most of the reporting centers on the portrayal of the shitbag murderer instead of all the murdered Osage. Truly an outcome nobody could have foreseen the very moment this film was announced.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    We watched Nebraska last night. I really liked it, but my wife thought it was too depressing.

Now we're watching Drop Dead Gorgeous, which seems great so far, though it does have your typical collar-tugging moments that are unavoidable in 90s comedies

I saw Nebraska with a buddy of mine who is a Lutheran pastor.

That joke about 'i'd never get caught dead around all these Lutherans ' when referring to a cemetery had him laughing so hard I thought he was going to vomit

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

I liked Tatanka Means in Maze Runner and I Know This Much Is True, and obviously I can't wait for people to see Fancy Dance where Gladstone gave another excellent performance. She's getting that Oscar, one way or another

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    getting a gmail notification that marty scorcese wants to zoom would be completely surreal

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    getting a gmail notification that marty scorcese wants to zoom would be completely surreal

I would have immediately ignored it or flagged it as spam

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I am finally watching The Raid since it's on the ticket for Nextlander's film podcast. In spite not being a fan of ultra-violence I loved Dredd so I'm excited.

Holy fuck.

It says something that even when the movie was in hindsight clearly wrapping up I was unstuck from time until it was really clear it was wrapping up.

That hallway fight with the door frame got the most visceral reaction out of my theater that I have ever experienced.

That was the craziest moment in a movie filled with crazy moments. When top-tier martial arts is happening on screen I start to think about the level of craft and training required, and in that moment I wondered in-universe when Rama added "Reverse Dolphin Dive Grapple" to his arsenal.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I am finally watching The Raid since it's on the ticket for Nextlander's film podcast. In spite not being a fan of ultra-violence I loved Dredd so I'm excited.

Holy fuck.

It says something that even when the movie was in hindsight clearly wrapping up I was unstuck from time until it was really clear it was wrapping up.

That hallway fight with the door frame got the most visceral reaction out of my theater that I have ever experienced.

That was the craziest moment in a movie filled with crazy moments. When top-tier martial arts is happening on screen I start to think about the level of craft and training required, and in that moment I wondered in-universe when Rama added "Reverse Dolphin Dive Grapple" to his arsenal.

About 5 microseconds before executing it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Useful context here that you'll only see if you click through, Jim Gray is the former Chief of the Osage Nation and the great-grandson of Henry Roan (the film is about his murder).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Well that makes me think it is genuinely good, considering all the other hype for it. Can’t wait for the home release

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    45qd8na9r8oc.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1404283328/beef-ramen-purse
    Low in stock

heh!!

edit: wrong thread but I'm just gonna leave it here

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    spono wrote: »

I saw Nebraska with a buddy of mine who is a Lutheran pastor.

That joke about 'i'd never get caught dead around all these Lutherans ' when referring to a cemetery had him laughing so hard I thought he was going to vomit

The mom really has the best lines in the movie

“I ain't fiddlin' with no cow titties. I'm a city girl!”

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

The first tweet in a (long) series by a former chief of the Osage, about Killers of the Flower Moon

I've been openly skeptical of the film, but this is the first thing I've seen to help put me at ease. I love hearing about efforts to work WITH the community, instead of just making a movie ABOUT the community.

The trailer made me leery, but trailers are also... Trailers. Genuinely heartened to hear about actual community involvement.

I wish the media coverage of this was different, I wish I could hear more Native perspectives on the flick, but I've gone from "simmering dread" to "cautious optimism," and that's not nothing.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Silence of the lambs gender and sexuality stuff is...not good to say the least, but man it has some actors being actors toward each other and it sizzles

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Earlier today I saw Fast X with my best friend.

He loved it, which, good for him. I'm glad he found a lot of joy in it.

I HATED IT

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have seen the first F&F movie then Toyko Drift then the one where they went to Brazil. Then Hobbs and Shaw. As with the last two was why I said they were headed to sentai stuff

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Earlier today I saw Fast X with my best friend.

He loved it, which, good for him. I'm glad he found a lot of joy in it.

I HATED IT

But, Momoa was so polite, he even says Enchante'

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    There was a lot I disliked about that film, including its bloated run-time and misuse of its supporting characters, but the most egregious element of Fast X for me was its reoccurring insistence on reminding the audience about the stakes of the film through real ham-fisted dialogue.

It felt like... Imagine if you will, if DieHard repeatedly had dialogue like this:
    John McClane: Damn, these German terrorists thought of everything!
    Sgt. Al Powell: Well I guess when you're going to take over Nakatomi Plaza on Christmas Eve, ya better.
    John McClane: Everything up to and including making my wife a hostage for the night.
    Sgt. Al Powell: We call that insurance, insurance so they can keep having the FBI get their buddies out of prison.

Like, holy shit, you have to trust your audience! You just have to believe that they can track the forward movement of plot during a movie!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    There was a lot I disliked about that film, including its bloated run-time and misuse of its supporting characters, but the most egregious element of Fast X for me was its reoccurring insistence on reminding the audience about the stakes of the film through real ham-fisted dialogue.

It felt like... Imagine if you will, if DieHard repeatedly had dialogue like this:
    John McClane: Damn, these German terrorists thought of everything!
    Sgt. Al Powell: Well I guess when you're going to take over Nakatomi Plaza on Christmas Eve, ya better.
    John McClane: Everything up to and including making my wife a hostage for the night.
    Sgt. Al Powell: We call that insurance, insurance so they can keep having the FBI get their buddies out of prison.

Like, holy shit, you have to trust your audience! You just have to believe that they can track the forward movement of plot during a movie!!

Fans keep asking for the Fast Franchise to go dumber

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The dumber I meant was them jumping off cars on the moon mid-car-chase so they could briefly fist fight and then be knocked back into their cars which have, by that point, floated back down to them in order to resume the car chase

I have the new DVD release of Birdemic 3 beside me right now if I just want to hear bad dialogue spoken robotically back to me

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Watched that there Dungeons and Dragons flick.

Good movie. Couple of bad bits (I would've definitely cut the dragon, maybe the whole underdark sequence, probably wouldn't have opened the movie with threatened sexual assault), but overall a ton of fun.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

The video for These Days holds up so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kABXgxrvQ

Show up to places you weren't invited. Put on a full concert. Refuse to elaborate. Get arrested.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    the two things i know about AAF:

There one hit was a cover.

They tried to make Movies a hit. Twice. After they became a one hit wonder they remade the music video to give it new legs on TRL. It lasted about a week.

Honestly, Movies is kind of a jam.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I think I'd like Movies more if the vocals weren't so garbled for no reason

Like everything else about it works really well, but the lyrics genuinely sound like someone who's rapidly approaching black out drunk at karaoke trying to sing a rendition where all they can physically remember is the chorus

This discussion has been closed.