Options

[Xbox] This is the Old Thread. Go to the Shiny New Thread.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 15
    antherem wrote: »
    I had missed the thing so I went to Google for the highlights, and not sure if this is more of an indictment of the site in question or the Google algorithm, but uh
    7y4d5q2gnpym.png
    I think someone might have gotten the wrong memo.
    (e: The article in question is correct if you click on it, but the preview headline is...not)

I think most sites just use AI to generate their titles, and the AI is set to "engage". :P

It's also just as likely they had already wrote the article anticipating that so they could put it live ASAP and the initial draft was what you see there, which google or something apparently remembers.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I had missed the thing so I went to Google for the highlights, and not sure if this is more of an indictment of the site in question or the Google algorithm, but uh
    7y4d5q2gnpym.png
    (e: The article in question is correct if you click on it, but the preview headline is...not)

I think most sites just use AI to generate their titles, and the AI is set to "engage". :P

There's one site I go to where it seems that every third or fourth article is 'Person gets brutal news about thing' and it turns out the 'brutal news' is 'was okay'. Not 'run over by a steamroller'. Not 'kicked in the goolies with a rusty saw blade'. Not 'lost yet another Super Bowl after leading at half time'. Just 'mildly critical'.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    For reaffirming day-and-date for ABK games they sure are dragging their feet on sticking the current ones on gamepass. Wait a month for Diablo IV and nothing else. Not even a drip-feed of the legacy catalog. Where's my Lost Vikings already?
    "I do have a fundamental belief that over the next 5 or 10 years, exclusive games, games that are exclusive to one piece of hardware, are going to be a smaller and smaller part of the game industry. And that's not some great insight, because if you look at the last 10 years and what the biggest games are today, it's a natural place - whether it's one console in PC, multiple consoles, mobile, console, and PC - you see big games landing on multiple platforms. And we want to be a great platform for creators that are trying to realize that potential."

Speaks to where they are looking for the next gen, especially when they own Activision. Although Sony is starting to make vaguely similar noises as well.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    7y4d5q2gnpym.png

There's one site I go to where it seems that every third or fourth article is 'Person gets brutal news about thing' and it turns out the 'brutal news' is 'was okay'. Not 'run over by a steamroller'. Not 'kicked in the goolies with a rusty saw blade'. Not 'lost yet another Super Bowl after leading at half time'. Just 'mildly critical'.

too soon.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    7y4d5q2gnpym.png

too soon.

That's why it's brutal.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    7y4d5q2gnpym.png

I read an article "US Destroyer Denied Berthing at Japanese Harbor!"...

Yeah, 'cause it's too big, and has a max draft over the allowable limit. Which the article said! But the headline...

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, and I know this is difficult to believe, but it seems like the internet freaked out over nothing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we've the comedic tagline of the next [Xbox] Thread.

It needs to be a fucking t-shirt!

In Hi-Fi Rush.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I mean we still have confirmation that a game that is Xbox exclusive is very likely not going to stay that way. They've chosen 4 smaller titles which makes absolute sense because it gives them time to learn and understand the architecture of the other two consoles without losing out on a bunch of money. From there they can then begin porting their bigger Xbox games. He was ho-hum about saying yes or no about Indy and Starfield because he knows they're going eventually.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah this only really was a lukewarm set of general objectives and promises, which don’t mean shit really. It’s not like any of this was good news, it’s all just less bad at best. And I’ll believe their “our next gen console is an amazing technological leap” when I see it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I mean, I know what's being said and what it means. But these games and their developers should not "need time" to understand how a PS5 works. Like of course porting is not like flipping a switch or anything, and there's always room for dramatic and catastrophic random issues. But porting any of these games should not be like cracking the Enigma Code or anything. It should ideally be pretty simple and painless.

The Switch on the other hand, that will obviously take more work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    For reaffirming day-and-date for ABK games they sure are dragging their feet on sticking the current ones on gamepass. Wait a month for Diablo IV and nothing else. Not even a drip-feed of the legacy catalog. Where's my Lost Vikings already?
    "I do have a fundamental belief that over the next 5 or 10 years, exclusive games, games that are exclusive to one piece of hardware, are going to be a smaller and smaller part of the game industry. And that's not some great insight, because if you look at the last 10 years and what the biggest games are today, it's a natural place - whether it's one console in PC, multiple consoles, mobile, console, and PC - you see big games landing on multiple platforms. And we want to be a great platform for creators that are trying to realize that potential."

Speaks to where they are looking for the next gen, especially when they own Activision. Although Sony is starting to make vaguely similar noises as well.

The timing of which cannot be coincidental.

Early days there, but it'll be interesting to see where that goes too.

• Options
    I mean, I know what's being said and what it means. But these games and their developers should not "need time" to understand how a PS5 works. Like of course porting is not like flipping a switch or anything, and there's always room for dramatic and catastrophic random issues. But porting any of these games should not be like cracking the Enigma Code or anything. It should ideally be pretty simple and painless.

It still takes practice to take one thing and put it on another thing. Especially if the underlying frameworks are different. So starting with 4 small games seems like the perfect jumping point to get a bunch of Xbox-only developers in the PS development environment.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

It still takes practice to take one thing and put it on another thing. Especially if the underlying frameworks are different. So starting with 4 small games seems like the perfect jumping point to get a bunch of Xbox-only developers in the PS development environment.

That's sort of what I mean, none of these developers are newbies to PS development. Grounded and Pentiment are made by Obsidian who have made PS4 games. And Hi-Fi Rush is made by Tango Gameworks, makers of The Evil Within series and Ghostwire: Tokyo, the latter of which is a PS5 game. I'll give Sea of Thieves a pass, Rare's been stuck on Xbox for forever. The other 3 shouldn't be too much of an issue. Unless the base programming of these games is just a clusterfuck. These games are also running on either Unreal or Unity.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

That's sort of what I mean, none of these developers are newbies to PS development. Grounded and Pentiment are made by Obsidian who have made PS4 games. And Hi-Fi Rush is made by Tango Gameworks, makers of The Evil Within series and Ghostwire: Tokyo, the latter of which is a PS5 game. I'll give Sea of Thieves a pass, Rare's been stuck on Xbox for forever. The other 3 shouldn't be too much of an issue. Unless the base programming of these games is just a clusterfuck. These games are also running on either Unreal or Unity.

Ah gotcha. I misread what you said that's my fault. But now that they're officially going from Xbox to PS it could be a learning experience for the Xbox-only devs to shadow. Whenever my development shop absorbs a new software we always have folks that worked on it prior but also put on a bunch of other developers to essentially shadow what's going on in the process so that we spread the knowledge around. I imagine it's very similar in the video game world when doing new development tasks.

• Options
    Also other games like Starfield, were already in development for PS5. So it's not a huge transition for most of these companies.

• Options
    Also also, aren't Xbox and PS architecture ridiculously similar at this point? Which are themselves ridiculously similar to PC's? It's certainly not like the days of the PS3 and its undecipherable Cell technology. Porting between the 3 "should" be reasonable. "Should" doing a lot of heavy lifting, of course. Lord knows shit happens.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tech is only part of the issue. You can run Windows and Linux in the same hardware but that doesn't mean games are going to be compatible between the two.

• Options
    Also also, aren't Xbox and PS architecture ridiculously similar at this point? Which are themselves ridiculously similar to PC's? It's certainly not like the days of the PS3 and its undecipherable Cell technology. Porting between the 3 "should" be reasonable. "Should" doing a lot of heavy lifting, of course. Lord knows shit happens.

It's mostly similar with the caveat and problem that the Series S being a lot weaker than either the X/PS5 adds complications when you're making a game across multiple systems. Otherwise you can do a build on PC, then build it for PS5 and a build on Series X where the same build will generally do okayish on the two consoles before you're sat down to do any serious optimization. Noting that you should absolutely do that optimization or you're in for a bad time.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Only Xbox can have a presentation/interview where Phil Spencer comes out on camera and says "This isn't some change in strategy where moving forward all our other current exclusives are eventually going to come out on other consoles", and a bunch of morons go "so this just means all the other current exclusives are eventually going to come out on other consoles".

I truly love** it here

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Only Xbox can have a presentation/interview where Phil Spencer comes out on camera and says "This isn't some change in strategy where moving forward all our other current exclusives are eventually going to come out on other consoles", and a bunch of morons go "so this just means all the other current exclusives are eventually going to come out on other consoles".

I truly love** it here

Well the reality is he didn’t say they won’t do it, he said never say never when asked directly. It’s not either or, it’s just that this whole thing kind of means that if Xbox doesn’t do better it’s going to be much more likely that, if not all, then many, exclusives are eventually going to come to other consoles.

Fundamentally the strategy might not be “putting everything on other consoles”, but it’s also not “leverage strong exclusives and firm exclusivity to sell more Xboxes”. It’s still this nebulous inbetween strategy so we’re all kind of left uneasy

I wish they would release more back catalogue of blizzard and activision or something. Older cod games on gamepass or something etc

Diablo 4 is fine I guess

Prohass on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 16

I truly love** it here

lol... you'll probably be doing yourself a favor if you just avoid the gaming enthusiast sphere for about a week or so until it dies down.

mans been saying selling the most Xbox consoles isn't primary goal because there's no need to be the number 1 (or 2) console we can just make more money by distributing our ecosystem across multiple platforms, and hey let's put the things that would be viable do to so on other consoles to make more money because we like money for how many years now? If they weren't listening before why would they listen now?

aocudpc3spxv.png

Phil Spencer 2019 (Source)

You just gotta let people cook until the next non-scandal. seriously... E3 2018!

9hwot828qbkl.png
    (Source)

bUt "XbOx" iS a CoNsOlE.

You can also find quotes of him saying that a console will be critical to the brand too, and they literally mention presenting their plans for the next generation but it's still not their primary focus and hasn't been for a long time.

anyhoo following my own advice for the night.

edit: and no, he's not going to flat out rule out Starfield popping up on other consoles because then if it happened sometime years from now (they somehow think Starfield will have a tail as long as Skyrim) trolls and/or fanatics everywhere would just flood the internet with quotes of the one time he said "Starfield will never be coming to other platforms" and that's what the narrative will be all about at that point.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I'm not sure you can say "No change to our exclusive policy" after announcing you're bringing four titles multiplatform, which is a change to your exclusive policty.

Little shocked it took them this long to say that little.

Hasn't Microsoft's stated exclusivity policy always been so nebulous and vague as to be meaningless? Like "we decide on a case by case basis" or something?

I remember months of click-baity articles about Starfield on PS5 written on the basis of "hey, they haven't explicity said they won't do it, so..."

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Prohass wrote: »

I truly love** it here

Well the reality is he didn’t say they won’t do it, he said never say never when asked directly. It’s not either or, it’s just that this whole thing kind of means that if Xbox doesn’t do better it’s going to be much more likely that, if not all, then many, exclusives are eventually going to come to other consoles.

Fundamentally the strategy might not be “putting everything on other consoles”, but it’s also not “leverage strong exclusives and firm exclusivity to sell more Xboxes”. It’s still this nebulous inbetween strategy so we’re all kind of left uneasy

I wish they would release more back catalogue of blizzard and activision or something. Older cod games on gamepass or something etc

Diablo 4 is fine I guess

The whole reason why it's Never Say Never is because saying Never is in of itself just not something any business does for a long term forecast. We have precisely zero idea how the next 5-10 years of Xbox first party releases work out - they could do so gangbusters that they start selling consoles by sheer power of their value or they could sell so poorly that Xbox shuts down its hardware division and seeks to release all of them day and date on other platforms. A meteorite could wipe out all of Redmond, Washington and Nadella could rehire Don Mattrick for all we know. It doesn't help that the entire games industry is currently experiencing a severe contraction. But who knows what the state of the industry is in by the time all their upcoming Xbox Game Studio releases come out?

This is all kind of silly because it's not the tectonic shift games media et al. are representing it as and their marketing and media have been hammering in this current position for years. Microsoft have been a third-party publisher ever since they bought Minecraft. Phil came out and made pretty explicit that the games they focused on for this new strategy are ones that are at minimum a year old (making them timed exclusives retroactively at worst), small-scale creative darlings that have reached the full potential of growth in the existing install base, ie. by their metrics no-one was going to buy a console just for these things, or would benefit the sustainability of player population for ongoing projects (co-op, live service etc.).

Reading between the lines, to them Starfield and Indiana Jones don't meet those criteria, and when we're in a gaming forum assuming that they do or inevitably will, that's an assumption we're assigning to these titles that I don't think Spencer et al. have even definitively confirmed yet. That's armchair punditry I'm not particularly interested in because I get enough of that from the hysterical Xbox influencers and adjacent games media on Twitter. There are too many internal and external variables at play for us to just handwave it and go "oh well he's just saying that but we all know they eventually will".

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I love being called a moron. Good way to get the Friday going.

• Options
    Oh I see. So because we don't know what is going to happen there's no reason to discuss anything. Pack it up boys. We're done here. We can't see the future so there's zero fun in any speculation.

• Options
    If that's all you took from what I've said, then maybe that's for the best.

• Options
    Yeah sorry when you start your argument with calling other people morons it's really hard to have a normal conversation about things lol.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The thing about Phil is people tend to treat his statements like Christians treat the words of Christ, in the sense that the things he says are absolute truth, but also any wiggle room will be interpreted in whatever way I want to be true. But the fact of the matter is that anything he says that's not an explicit business announcement is really just vague corporate PR speak that means less than nothing.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I do wanna add that I'm not singling Spencer out as being particularly bad or anything. All corpos are like that. Their vocabulary is filled with phrases that sound concrete but are actually non-committal.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea it's just that for some reason people decided Phil was different and not just the corpo PR man he is.

I guess that means he's pretty good at that PR speak if nothing else.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Prior to the acquisition, Bethesda was an agnostic, multi-platform publisher. The Elder Scrolls series is too big for any one console. They haven't announced ES6 for Playstation, but I would be very surprised if it doesn't go to Playstation after some sort of exclusivity period.

The same is true with Call of Duty, now that they own Activision. CoD is too big to contain it on Playstation. The would be missing out on probably 40% of their potential sales if they tried to make that one an exclusive. I know they promised the FTC that they will make CoD multi-platform for the next 10 years. But even without that promise, I bet they would have gone multi-platform anyway.

Most CoDs sell in the range of like 12mil to 17mil copies, depending on year and quality of the game. Even the underperformers and bad ones, like this year's MW3 still sell like hotcakes. They'd be fools to not try to capture the Playstation crowd. It's pretty simple business.

All that to say that some of these titles were never going to be forever-exclusives anyway. They want to make money. And they know they will make a ton of money by putting those games on Playstation.

Also -- this whole "four games" thing is not a one-time only thing. These are not the only four games for all time that they are ever going to port. They never said that, and it obviously makes no business sense. These are just the four that they're working on right now. There will be more in the future. Maybe Starfield. Maybe not. But the four that Phil announced yesterday are certainly not the only four for all of the rest of time.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Pretty fun watching folks who REALLY wanted to be angry about this look for some crumbs to nitpick. With both Xbox and PS "exclusive" games making their way to PC for years, this is just a continuation of that trend.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Just want to chime in that I agree this is totally overblown, and I'm still really struggling to see the problem with games like Starfield and Indy going cross-platform a year or more after an Xbox release. I read the interview as a clear indication that MS is going to be focusing on a timed exclusive strategy (especially with the explicit statement that the only things they are looking at going cross-platform now are the year+ old games). And I am 100% in favor of that strategy! It is the most consumer-friendly approach that still retains some first-party console advantage, as well as let the developers make more money and build market share. This idea that somehow timed exclusives is a slippery slope that will just result in them dumping everything doesn't make any sense (timed exclusives have existed for a while now). And I also agree they have been extremely consistent in their messaging and strategy over the years, and I think its a perfectly reasonable strategy and in fact I think its better for most of us vs the Sony model, so I'm happy to continue supporting it with my dollars even if my console of choice isn't 'winning'.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    One you've picked a side, that side can never be wrong.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    As was mentioned before in this thread, this is what the landscape looks like:

Nintendo - exclusive games, will get Xbox games a year later, doesn't give up anything in their own library
    Sony - exclusive games, will get Xbox games a year later, doesn't give up anything in their own library AND pays other companies to not let them be on a competitor.
    Microsoft - exclusive games given away after a year or so, get no other games from other brands, spent billions on buying game companies only to (after the required legal obligations) not put these games exclusively.

One of these brands is playing to lose.

• Options
    Aren't they already losing?

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Nintendo - exclusive games, will get Xbox games a year later, doesn't give up anything in their own library
    Sony - exclusive games, will get Xbox games a year later, doesn't give up anything in their own library AND pays other companies to not let them be on a competitor.
    Microsoft - exclusive games given away after a year or so, get no other games from other brands, spent billions on buying game companies only to (after the required legal obligations) not put these games exclusively.

So , don't buy their products? Gamepass is the sole reason I chose to go with Xbox this generation and on that front, they are killing the competition. They have been shouting from the rooftops for half a decade that having their games on all available screens is the end goal.... They have been as transparent about this as possible for a giant, multinational corp.

Those "exclusive" games are all making their way to PC from Sony so I'm confused why folks are pointing to them as some city on the hill.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yes, exactly, because of their current strategy I will not be buying another Xbox after this generation since there is no value to me if the games are just going to be on another system in about a year. I can just buy that other system and get all the games instead of some of the games. And I do not play PC Games because I already have to use a PC too much for work, I do not want to sit in front of a monitor even more than is necessary, console gaming is noble and pure.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Gaming PC, plugged into the TV, booting into Steam Big Picture, with an Xbox controller. Done and done.

• Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

So , don't buy their products? Gamepass is the sole reason I chose to go with Xbox this generation and on that front, they are killing the competition. They have been shouting from the rooftops for half a decade that having their games on all available screens is the end goal.... They have been as transparent about this as possible for a giant, multinational corp.

Those "exclusive" games are all making their way to PC from Sony so I'm confused why folks are pointing to them as some city on the hill.

Because we're talking about console exclusive. That's what people talk about when they say exclusive. It's just easier to type "exclusive" instead of "console exclusive" every time. The more console exclusives a console has then the more enticing it is to purchase said console. If person buys said console then the company gets money from this purchase. When they start buying games on that console then said console company also makes more money. Selling their game on a separate console still comes at a loss (30% loss AFAIK) per purchase. Ideally you would want everyone buying games on your console so you get the maximum profit.

The argument that has been made over and over again is that if there's less and less of a reason to buy a console for exclusives the less consoles are sold. It's not an overnight thing. If Sony was putting God of War on the Xbox (which may happen) then it would be the same. But as of right now if you were choosing between two consoles and you wanted to play Hi-Fi Rush and God of War then you'd end up going with the PS5 since it includes both whereas the XSX only has one.

This discussion has been closed.