Options

E3 is still dead. See you at Gamescom!

12345679»

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    New Prince of Persia is the first UbiSoft game in a minute to actually get my attention, even if I have hesitations about actually giving them money ever again and have for ages (UbiSoft and ActiBlizzion being two companies I've actually succeeded in forcing myself to boycott for a 7 or so years now)

Still sad that there was never a follow-up to PoP '08, that game was undercooked in some ways but it was absolutely gorgeous, and was way the fuck better than either of the sequels to Sands of Time. Sort of like a Bumblebee to the Bayformers. Like if I were in charge at UbiSoft I'd have made a Breath of the Wild-influenced Prince of Persia years ago using the '08 game's vibes as a template

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    New Prince of Persia is the first UbiSoft game in a minute to actually get my attention, even if I have hesitations about actually giving them money ever again and have for ages (UbiSoft and ActiBlizzion being two companies I've actually succeeded in forcing myself to boycott for a 7 or so years now)

Still sad that there was never a follow-up to PoP '08, that game was undercooked in some ways but it was absolutely gorgeous, and was way the fuck better than either of the sequels to Sands of Time. Sort of like a Bumblebee to the Bayformers. Like if I were in charge at UbiSoft I'd have made a Breath of the Wild-influenced Prince of Persia years ago using the '08 game's vibes as a template

the '08 game was wonderful and gorgeous. Also interesting in that in a lot of respects it was very much a low-key rhythm game rather than a platformer or an action game... which isnt a flaw, it was a really enjoyable rhythm game. I also really liked how it handled dialogue - you'd get a very short bit on entering each area, but you could stop and have much, much longer conversations back and forth if you wanted to... or keep going. It was a nice threading the needle.

Also it was just Pretty As Hell.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I thought Star Wars: Outlaws looked like a lot of fun, even if it's "fake" (which I don't understand) real gameplay or not the ability to go from walking to speeder bike to ship to space looks fun. Even if you have to actually go through a loading screen in actual live gameplay I' down. NO LIGHTSABERS or even a mention of any jedi is a big bonus to me.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    The use of clouds to like hide the loading seems to indicate what they’re going for. The Outlaws trailer gameplay is clearly highly scripted but it gives a good indication of what they’re going for, which even if it looks half as good/polished as that demo in the end definitely seems like it will be 100% my jam

Prohass on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The Outlaws trailer felt fake not because "no loading screens" but because every aspect of it felt scripted, starting from when they got spotted all the way to their space escape

• Options
    edited June 2023
    It definitely was, but I don’t think it’s lying about anything that’s in the game, just obviously scripted into a more cinematic sequence. The division guys make great environments so I have no doubt the game will look amazing, but yeah the transitions from shooting to stealth to getting caught etc will obviously not be as cinematic and tailored as that, it’ll be closer to assassins creed style gameplay is my guess, with vehicles and space stuff taking you from like large open areas to large open areas on various planets.

Prohass on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Ubi's culture shit has been so atrocious that me, a guy who has spent a not-insignificant amount of unpaid time thinking and talking about Assassin's Creed, Including the One Nobody Likes? I haven't even been watching the trailers for Mirage.

Why give em the opportunity to hook me? Why expose myself to the sales pitch of a company I don't want to support? Why give myself opportunities to cave on principles I'd like to hold?

This ain't an attack on anybody or an indictment of anybody, I've just been thinking about my relationship to games lately and I've got questions for myself that I can't necessarily answer

• Options
    edited June 2023
    For me I just think of the people who make the games, they largely aren’t the ones doing the heinous shit. At least not in most cases, I don’t think I’m necessarily making the right choice, I just feel disconnected personally from the idea that not purchasing a game will punish the ceos, or by purchasing one I am directly making the ceos or managers richer and rewarding them for their behaviour. I have a friend who vehemently disagrees with me and I respect that, but I just don’t feel the same way on a gut level, I feel like I’m playing the game that the hundreds of developers made, based on what I think looks good. It’s not a moral position but it’s the one I just can’t force myself out of feeling about these things

I feel like I’m basically in the wrong but only if I stand outside myself and kind of reason it out, on a gut personal level I just don’t feel it, I’m not necessarily without conflicted feelings , and I do care about these issues, it’s just I don’t really make that 1:1 with the end product. Maybe I’m using whataboutism or taking the easy way out of saying oh this won’t work, even though I know that’s not why you boycott, it’s to make a principled stance, a point, I just don’t have a connection to that stance or point that feels immediate enough. Maybe capitalism beat me and I was probably always an easy mark for it

Prohass on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    For me I just think of the people who make the games, they largely aren’t the ones doing the heinous shit. At least not in most cases, I don’t think I’m necessarily making the right choice, I just feel disconnected personally from the idea that not purchasing a game will punish the ceos, or by purchasing one I am directly making the ceos or managers richer and rewarding them for their behaviour. I have a friend who vehemently disagrees with me and I respect that, but I just don’t feel the same way on a gut level, I feel like I’m playing the game that the hundreds of developers made, based on what I think looks good. It’s not a moral position but it’s the one I just can’t force myself out of feeling about these things

I feel like I’m basically in the wrong but only if I stand outside myself and kind of reason it out, on a gut personal level I just don’t feel it, I’m not necessarily without conflicted feelings , and I do care about these issues, it’s just I don’t really make that 1:1 with the end product. Maybe I’m using whataboutism or taking the easy way out of saying oh this won’t work, even though I know that’s not why you boycott, it’s to make a principled stance, a point, I just don’t have a connection to that stance or point that feels immediate enough. Maybe capitalism beat me and I was probably always an easy mark for it

Oh I don't think I'm FIXING anything, I just don't want to put my money into a known-toxic ecosystem

There are great indie games that I kept coming up with excuses not to play that I'm now trying find more room for. I'm trying to steer myself towards "supporting people who aren't parts of known-atrocious systems" instead of "finding ways to justify doing something I know I feel weird about." It's not even a "boycott" to me, it's, "oh, that bar is run by a shithead and I don't want to go there anymore."

But I'm also gonna play the new Final Fantasy, and the only reason I have to believe that that production is humane is that I haven't heard anything to the contrary. I could end up a hypocrite!

I'm just trying to work on it.

• Options
    I get that, it’s definitely the right call to say well this might not change anything, but it’s still a choice you can make to do something even on a personal level

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I saw a guy going “I don’t know why everyone loves to dunk on Keighley so much, he’s the only one out there trying to capture what E3 STOOD for” and that vibe is a lot of why I’m pretty checked out of a lot of advertising these days

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speaking of FF16 I’ll have to play something other than Diablo before I play that otherwise it will be a Ralph Ineson voice overload. Something non-dark fantasy

I can never watch these kind of E3 events front on anyway, not out of any principled stance, but I’m really susceptible to being embarrassed on others behalf. The celebrity interviews on the stages are like cryptonite to me

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I saw a guy going “I don’t know why everyone loves to dunk on Keighley so much, he’s the only one out there trying to capture what E3 STOOD for” and that vibe is a lot of why I’m pretty checked out of a lot of advertising these days

I mean, they ain't wrong.

But I dunno why I'm supposed to be impressed by it.

Consume, you automatons.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
    What zxerol said.
    Keighley succeeded at it, and that's terrible.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Hell ya. Ace Attorney 4-6 are finally getting an HD trilogy collection to go with the 1-3 collection.

Very excited for this, although calling it the Apollo Justice Trilogy is kinda weird when 5 is very much Athena and Phoenix's game (I had a good laugh at them zooming in on Apollo on the 5 artwork) but eh, gotta name it something snappy.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If you want real "what E3 used to be" vibes you want the Ubisoft show, whose cadence and cringe really evoked the E3 presentation style, especially in comparison to the others' more generic advertising vehicles.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    so there was supposed to be another indie showcase event over the weekend, but at the very last second it got canceled. Here's how it was saved at the even last-er second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzKtZOgi_8

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    If you want real "what E3 used to be" vibes you want the Ubisoft show, whose cadence and cringe really evoked the E3 presentation style, especially in comparison to the others' more generic advertising vehicles.

I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to do that one live. The audio mixing alone was crazy terrible.

• Options

Wario64 wrote:
    E3 cancelled for 2024 & 2025, according to Los Angeles City Tourism Board of Commissioners

Won't quite claim this is the final death knell, as they could just be looking at a smaller (i.e. cheaper) venue, but yeah, definitely the end of an era.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh, I'll claim the final death knell was like three years ago

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    E3 died for me as soon as Jeffe Gerstman left Giant Bomb dot com.

No I don't.
  • Options
    E3 died for me as soon as Jeffe Gerstman left Giant Bomb dot com.

I honestly think Grubb, Dan and Jan managed to pull off the Not-E3 couch successfully this year. I was honestly pretty surprised how well it went.