Options

🖥️🎮 - Penny Larceny: Gig Economy Supervillain out today!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    On one hand, I like first person action games and would like more single player focused entries in the high budget shooter genre.

On the other hand, Immortals of Aveum looks painfully generic and I don't think it's going to find a personality during that delay. It's marketing of "Call of Duty But Magic" turns my brain right off.

hey, that's being kinda uncharitable to the poor game, cuz it's not just a wizard shooter

24y0agbifgoo.png

cuz it's wizard looter shooter!

make them magic numbers go up son

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Mind Over Magic - you're the headmaster in a magic school overrun with corruption. With the help of your three top students you manage to temporarily push back the fog and, making them your staff and begin rebuilding the school.

Do you like the idea of mixing Fallout Shelter and Dungeon Keeper? 'Cause it's here baby. Build up the school, research spells and upgrades, summon new students from the void (oh yeah, did I not mention it, you're a ghost and your students are zombies, werewolves, mummies and other classic monsters), tutor them with your staff, then have them Graduate by sending them ever deeper into the abyss, fighting monsters and helping stave off corruption for a few more days.

Honestly I really enjoyed this one. You can hit the demo "end" in about 90 minutes, but they give you a whole new level of research unlocks if you want to spend a few extra hours playing about before bailing. Nice and meaty. I think the game could be a bit more handholdy with your objectives (they pop up on the upper left, but don't really draw attention to themselves) and there's enough meat on the bones that you'll want to carefully read what all your UI bits do, but man, if you want to build and run a magical school of dubious morality, here's your chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPA9Gib33U

klei is lining up some bangers

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Maybe it is a Klei game I will actually enjoy. I love their artstyle but I keep bouncing off their games. Given I haven't tried a few cause of that poor track record.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Synth Beasts - a metroidvania where you collect other forms with unique abilities to progress. Pretty basic to be honest, the two areas in the demo are enough for a 15 minute linear gauntlet of simple puzzles and basic combat, neither of which really impresses. It might be good fun once it opens up, but I'll be honest, the combat felt a bit too simplistic to sustain a full game.

The game also feels like it's going for a Pokemon thing, since the humans refer to you as the Experiment, and your basic form has Mewtwo's colours (and the other things you can turn into have distinct Pokemon feel to them). Doesn't really go past "I can kind of see it. Okay I guess?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHUTtypaFg

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    On one hand, I like first person action games and would like more single player focused entries in the high budget shooter genre.

On the other hand, Immortals of Aveum looks painfully generic and I don't think it's going to find a personality during that delay. It's marketing of "Call of Duty But Magic" turns my brain right off.

hey, that's being kinda uncharitable to the poor game, cuz it's not just a wizard shooter

24y0agbifgoo.png

This screenshot generates an unfathomable void of interest within my mind. Just a black hole of hype. A cloak of unremarkable nothingness that no Mountain Dew Code Red or Dorito dust can penetrate.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    cannot wait to get an uncommon level enchanted codpiece with +2% poison resist

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Rolo I keep telling you an easy way too avoid this issue is to stop getting it on with snakes

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Rolo I keep telling you an easy way too avoid this issue is to stop getting it on with snakes
    No.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    You're right snakes are venomous

Stop humping tree frogs

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    See when you put it that way it sounds crass.

• Options
    Ratopia - Oxygen Not Included but with rats? By the Korean developer that made Ratropolis (I am sensing a theme and I approve), you're a rat queen who just lost her kingdom and has to start from scratch. Gather and build a basic camp, accept refugees, have them build the rest of the kingdom for you while you struggle to optimise space (don't be me, build down), juggle resources, research new stuff, keep your rats happy and set laws that control taxes, legality of items and activities and build up a colony/kingdom.

There's the occasional bit of awkward wording that betrays the developers are not native English speakers, but it's never really a problem. The demo is hefty (I played an hour with no hint as to where the demo ends) and the world around you pretty large- since you're controlling a character you can venture out and poke things with a sword if you get bored managing the colony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vpjBSSFgw

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    24y0agbifgoo.png

Look at this broke loser with only 28 Red Essence, jeez.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Aw, they're cute anthropomorphic rats? Reading your description I was hoping for regular rats.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    wizard shooter is my jam, but I dunno about this one

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

24y0agbifgoo.png

I hate This Screen so much.

Incremental item level increases after every match with random modifiers on everything makes you feel like none of it actually matters. Theory crafting is impossible when you are expected to be changing gear out every level. Good luck with your preferred play style, hope you don't get too attached to any particular weapon type because there's no guarantee you will actually see it drop again.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I like that the industry kinda solidified around certain forms of standardization, e.g., most games going with a "left stick for movement, right stick for camera" setup, "left trigger for aim, right trigger to fire," etc.

But The Screen becoming a given is a grim form of progress

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

24y0agbifgoo.png

I hate This Screen so much.

Incremental item level increases after every match with random modifiers on everything makes you feel like none of it actually matters. Theory crafting is impossible when you are expected to be changing gear out every level. Good luck with your preferred play style, hope you don't get too attached to any particular weapon type because there's no guarantee you will actually see it drop again.

At least in Destiny I could feed weapons to my rad bow so I could keep using it as I found stronger stuff. But it still wasn't great. I have little faith that this will be better about it.

And that's too bad. This is the first time I'd heard this was a looter shooter. Like.. fps game but with magic is practically made in a lab for me! Add a melee weapon and I'm pretty much in heaven. But then you gotta fuck it up with the garbage loot that most games use? Lame.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    To be sincerely fair, they did clarify that the loot in the game isn't random. You get fixed drops from chests, bosses, etc., and their own words likened it more to a Souls than a Destiny.

But my guys, if your goddamn inventory looks like some Destiny ass shit with your gear score nonsense and fucking five goddamn currencies, you ain't doing yourselves any favors!

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I like that the industry kinda solidified around certain forms of standardization, e.g., most games going with a "left stick for movement, right stick for camera" setup, "left trigger for aim, right trigger to fire," etc.

But The Screen becoming a given is a grim form of progress

It goes hand-in-hand with "crafting systems" that seem like glorified trash compactors that create busywork to justify the amount of time players have to spend cleaning out their inventory.

Oh goodie, I can "feed" these reagents into the trinket I like in order to boost its power level! Except that in order to boost it, I need to acquire umpteen items of the level I want to boost it to first, then break them all down. It's going to take a dozen hours playing without the gizmo I like in order to retain the gizmo I like.

Or I can hop on the real money store and just BUY the reagents I need!

It's the soulless games-as-a-service bullshit that intentionally make playing the game more of a slog because you want the game to become a sunken cost fallacy where people will pay for your MTX so they can keep engaging with the part of the game they actually enjoy engaging with.

This is all in the fore of my mind right now because my friends started playing Vermintide II when it was like 80% off a week or two ago, and while I am enjoying the missions themselves a little bit of the light in my eyes leaves my body every time I finish a mission and watch the loot crate upgrade bar go up.

I liked the weapon I was using just fine. Why can't I just keep it and have all the stats on my character go up when I level up?!?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I really like the look of Immortals of Whatever but the name is bad, having a made up fantasy name for your first new IP is a an uphill brand recognition battle. Also the fact that it’s delayed this close to launch for technical reasons just screams to me that management would’ve been fine releasing it in a bad state but the recent spate of shitty technical launches means they finally got worried they might get bad press from it. Which maybe is a good thing I dunno we’ll see

Aside from that while the story doesn’t look that great the doom combat and colourful world interests me and I always give new IPs that are trying something even remotely different, even with the setting, a look

Also the decision should’ve never been left this late. I get that they have a marketing campaign and retail dates to meet, but this is a new IP with nobody really hyped to play it, nobody cares if you delay it. It should’ve been an easy decision to delay it way back because with something new like this first impressions and word of mouth are gonna make or break your game, not an advertising push. It’s not like god of war where launch day is crucial and everyone is expecting it.

the recent spate of bad technical launches must be impacting metrics and like google results enough that even management goobers are taking notice. Just complete management cowardice

Prohass on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
    A big part of the reason I will keep coming back to Failbetter games, despite how often they frustrate me, is simply how comprehensively they reject some of these thoughtless game conventions. Whatever else, I can trust that everything in the game will have genuine semantic weight and nothing will be incidental or careless. "Red Essence" is something that could exist in Sunless Skies but it would have a whole thing attached, a whole backstory and reason for being, and it certainly wouldn't be some random currency to get random drops for your utterly anodyne guy.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    I think Diablo 2 was just about the perfect balance between character leveling choices being meaningful and loot drops being compelling enough to pursue nigh-endlessly even as more of your build becomes solidified.

But of course that hails from a time before MTX GAAS alphabet soup money sinks had invaded game design space.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    It depends on the game and what it’s aiming for for me. The issue is if you’re going to do a Diablo or destiny style loot system it’s likely way more work than just having a set equipment list. I get the feeling management pushes games to have them because they see dollar signs in terms of microtransactions potential, even without a plan to put microtransactions in explicitly, they see “engagement metrics” from games that use these systems, and just demand them. and devs get shafted having to make the systems work in games that were not conceived with these systems in mind.

Mobile games dwarf regular video games in terms of revenue and the goobers at the top will always have one eye on that fact

Prohass on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Played the Laika: Aged through Blood demo, where you play coyote mom Laika who rides a motorcycle and shoots enemies with a gun. Fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGKyMH79p4

very different control scheme than most metroidvanias and it can be clumsy sometimes, mostly being like those flash motorcycle/bicycle games. there were also a lot of times when i squished Laika against the ground or spun around right into a bullet (you die in one hit). thankfully there's also some form of gentle auto-aim and bullet-time when you want to shoot, so it's a little forgiving in combat. reloading is done by doing backflips, and you get a parry/reflect ability that is refreshed by doing a front flip. makes for reloading out of combat annoying, but it feels really good to ramp into a group of enemies, empty your gun out, flip and reload, and finish off the rest

it'll probably be an extremely difficult game - it's not described as a souls-like, but it is (there are also bonfires). the demo is about a half hour of content (longer if you die a lot like i did...a lot longer), going through an initial tutorial kind of area, the tutorial boss, and letting you play through the first section of the game and first boss. the soundtrack is pretty good and everything is beautifully rendered and animated, and Laika's daughter Puppy is adorable

as a warning, this game is pretty grim and bloody - the first major thing you learn is that a child was gruesomely murdered (and you see the corpse) and the child's father has gone to the perpetrators' base to get revenge. also, Laika's helmet is definitely a feathered headdress thing and i thought that was a thing people knew not to do

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Injustice 2 might be the only fighting game I ever stopped playing because I didn't feel like cleaning out my inventory anymore.

• Options
    Anyway there are a bunch of developer interviews on last week's episode of Remap Radio and I was not expecting the lead on on the game El Paso, Elsewhere go hard on condemning the current business model of video game publishing and the current state of capitalism writ large, but it was great to hear about that on my drive home and then I looked up the trailer for this game and yeah I'm all in for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FpyUvtOr8

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    It's not the popular opinion here but I love loot games. I have over 1000 hours in Destiny 2, I love playing Borderlands, I have hundreds in Path of Exile, I love the loot and gameplay of The Division (shame about the setting, story, and everything else about it though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), but not every game needs to do it!
    Like, I was actually somewhat excited about Fantasy CoD. I always thought a game with sick-ass spells would be great as a shooter. I had no idea that it was supposed to have loot, and now I'm WAY less interested, especially with "gear score" or whatever they're going to call it.
    1. It's ok to let your shooter just be a shooter, or your action game to just be an action game, etc. Look at games like DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, or even CoD games. They're just shooters, and though they all have massive amounts of upgrades and unlockables and such, they're more than just "+2% frost resistance." The upgrades do something interesting. You can do mechanics like this in a non-loot game without having to put randomized loot into it.
    2. If you want to do loot, "gear score" sucks! Comparing loot by stats or effects can be fun and interesting, but by attaching a power score or rank or the like to it, it immediately invalidates a lot of that excitement. It becomes a game of "equip the item with the higher gear score no matter what" despite that number (usually) not doing anything on it's own, it just says that this item is nebulously "better" in some way regardless of what the gun or armor or whatever actually does and heavily disincentivizes player agency. Destiny 2 has "Power level," and while that is similar, at least you can use your high Power level drops to increase the level of the gear you already have and like so you don't have to go get the same gun or item but with a higher non-gameplay number on it.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I think the explanation for The Screen and endless crafting mechanics is more or less that developers realized A: players want tons of content, B: players want that content to have meaningful rewards, and C: developers realized that for the most part the size of the rewards doesn't matter as long as they aren't perceived as useless.

So in order to make sure that you have sufficient dopamine hits to drive players into doing a billion little things, you throw in crafting mechanics. They let you put rewards everywhere that technically are meaningful and increase player power, but that you can separate into extremely small chunks while still feeling worthwhile, helped by the fact crafting mats value is really obscured so it never really stops feeling useful the same way seeing a pitiful amount of universal cash drop would be.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Played the Laika: Aged through Blood demo, where you play coyote mom Laika who rides a motorcycle and shoots enemies with a gun. Fun!

very different control scheme than most metroidvanias and it can be clumsy sometimes, mostly being like those flash motorcycle/bicycle games. there were also a lot of times when i squished Laika against the ground or spun around right into a bullet (you die in one hit). thankfully there's also some form of gentle auto-aim and bullet-time when you want to shoot, so it's a little forgiving in combat. reloading is done by doing backflips, and you get a parry/reflect ability that is refreshed by doing a front flip. makes for reloading out of combat annoying, but it feels really good to ramp into a group of enemies, empty your gun out, flip and reload, and finish off the rest

it'll probably be an extremely difficult game - it's not described as a souls-like, but it is (there are also bonfires). the demo is about a half hour of content (longer if you die a lot like i did...a lot longer), going through an initial tutorial kind of area, the tutorial boss, and letting you play through the first section of the game and first boss. the soundtrack is pretty good and everything is beautifully rendered and animated, and Laika's daughter Puppy is adorable

as a warning, this game is pretty grim and bloody - the first major thing you learn is that a child was gruesomely murdered (and you see the corpse) and the child's father has gone to the perpetrators' base to get revenge. also, Laika's helmet is definitely a feathered headdress thing and i thought that was a thing people knew not to do

Laika's helmet looks like some sort of animal skull with feathers on the front. Seems distinct enough from a war bonnet to be fine? (I'm not indigenous though, so take my opinion here with a grain of salt)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I tried the Fortune's Run demo and I couldn't get past the tutorial. 16 year old me is so disappointed.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I think the looter shooters have to make the loot meaningful for me to care about.

Destiny had everything you put on have a visual effect on the character. A lot of the gear's stats were pretty similar, but at least it had the visual aspect. Obviously the high level gear also had some differences that made it worth looking at, it was kind of boring in the beginning, but the gear wasn't just about how high the stats were, but the guns that play best with your playstyle. Borderlands is obviously good about making the loot you get very different and having crazy abilities so you're not just looking at numbers. Division had pretty boring gear, but the important thing for all three of those games for succeeding as GaaS is that they've got good gameplay. No matter how boring you found the loot or running around in a circle doing tasks in Destiny you weren't going to find a better shooter when it comes to controls.

Avengers and Gotham Knights just having you put stuff on that improves numbers, but isn't distinctive in anyway and doesn't do anything visually is boring AF.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Anyway there are a bunch of developer interviews on last week's episode of Remap Radio and I was not expecting the lead on on the game El Paso, Elsewhere go hard on condemning the current business model of video game publishing and the current state of capitalism writ large, but it was great to hear about that on my drive home and then I looked up the trailer for this game and yeah I'm all in for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_FpyUvtOr8

Xalavier Nelson Jr. is one of the most interesting guy in games, I love how generous that dude is with his perspectives and ideas. That Remap interview was no exception, goddamn that dude's brilliant.

Really cute hearing how excited he was by folks in general getting excited for his game, really moving hearing how special it was to him to know his work was helping black folks feel seen and included in gaming. Good shit.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    It's not the popular opinion here but I love loot games. I have over 1000 hours in Destiny 2, I love playing Borderlands, I have hundreds in Path of Exile, I love the loot and gameplay of The Division (shame about the setting, story, and everything else about it though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), but not every game needs to do it!
    Like, I was actually somewhat excited about Fantasy CoD. I always thought a game with sick-ass spells would be great as a shooter. I had no idea that it was supposed to have loot, and now I'm WAY less interested, especially with "gear score" or whatever they're going to call it.
    1. It's ok to let your shooter just be a shooter, or your action game to just be an action game, etc. Look at games like DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, or even CoD games. They're just shooters, and though they all have massive amounts of upgrades and unlockables and such, they're more than just "+2% frost resistance." The upgrades do something interesting. You can do mechanics like this in a non-loot game without having to put randomized loot into it.
    2. If you want to do loot, "gear score" sucks! Comparing loot by stats or effects can be fun and interesting, but by attaching a power score or rank or the like to it, it immediately invalidates a lot of that excitement. It becomes a game of "equip the item with the higher gear score no matter what" despite that number (usually) not doing anything on it's own, it just says that this item is nebulously "better" in some way regardless of what the gun or armor or whatever actually does and heavily disincentivizes player agency. Destiny 2 has "Power level," and while that is similar, at least you can use your high Power level drops to increase the level of the gear you already have and like so you don't have to go get the same gun or item but with a higher non-gameplay number on it.

I definitely believe in different strokes for different folks.

I think the only game that draws me in from the ones you listed (and I played Destiny lots) is Path of Exile, but only because I can play it in outside of SSF, and having a broader economy to engage in (when I want to) lets me shortcut the tedium of incrementally augmenting my gear, also there is a lot of equipment in PoE that drastically changes the behavior of some core skills, in a way that can be outright build enabling or significantly cover a weakness in an otherwise working build.

That to me goes a long way to making me love loot in a game, and well when I feel that its at its absolute worst -- is in games where loot is just 'numbers go up' which is why I hated Diablo 3 (eventually where you get to Quadrillions of damage).

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

15 years before the events of Baldur's Gate 3, the streets of the city ran red with blood.

Tavs, we need your help. Will your sharp analytical minds unravel these heinous killings before the murderer strikes again?

http://bloodinbaldursgate.com

I'm having a class crisis about full release. Fighter was fun in Alpha, and I tried a bit of Life Domain Cleric and it was nice. But I also have ideas for a Monk and a Warlock. Another strong contender is playing a School of Necromancy Wizard and just throw skeletons at all my problems.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever played a game with the loot system you guys are discussing. Do they tend to mostly be multiplayer?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Twitch is doing a bunch of free giveaways for Amazon Prime members for Prime Day, right now you can claim a free GOG DRM-free copy of Prey (2017), and coming soon are Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition (GOG), Shovel Knight Showdown (Amazon), and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Amazon). There's also a ton of other freebies including games and in-game items for a bunch of other stuff right now here.

EDIT: Oh sick the GOG version of Prey comes with a free download of the soundtrack, which includes the opening theme and Mind Game, hell yeah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOGu05q-Ch4

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever played a game with the loot system you guys are discussing. Do they tend to mostly be multiplayer?
    Often they're open world single player games, like many Ubisoft's games for the past half decade, or those that take after them (Horizon: Zero Dawn), just oodles of gear drops that don't present a choice more interesting than Green Arrow Good Red Arrow Bad. But, as complained above, the problem is that it's seeped into every other popular genre also.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    A stripped back version of Stellaris would absolutely be my jam, but I guess it's multiplayer only?

This discussion has been closed.