Options

🖥️🎮 - Penny Larceny: Gig Economy Supervillain out today!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I can't believe 14 years later, Six Days in Fallujah is still a thing.

“Not only will America come to your country and kill all your people, but what's worse is that they'll come back 20 years later and make a movie about how killing your people made their soldiers feel sad.” — Frankie Boyle

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    it's honestly actually maybe the best VS-like because it adds a few important innovations

-every character starts with a unique weapon that no one else gets
    -characters have unique skills that you can level up that makes them feel meaningfully different from one another
    -a strafe button

This all exists in Halls of Torment now too, if you want to play something that looks like Diablo II (though the unique upgrades in Holocure are way more unique)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'm having a kind of videogame paralysis moment rn

* Diablo is most fun with friends. I need to catch up with my friends b/c they're on endgame but I'm kinda whatever on playing it solo
    * SF6 owns but it's the kind of game I just keep around for foolin'. There's no story so I don't feel urgency, it's something I will just pick up when I feel like it
    * I started Fallout 1 but a combination of the interface (esp the limited pathfinding range so it takes like 12 clicks to cross a Junktown map screen) and the fact that I have a hard time seeing the small objects that aren't in containers is kinda stymieing my enthusiasm
    * I poopsocked City of Heroes for like three months over the holidays and winter and made some cool friends and stuff but I need to let it cool off a bit
    * I'm halfway into Lost Judgment but I think I need to recharge my Yakuza batteries and let it sit for a while

so I'm looking at my library like ???

let me talk to you at length about Graveyard Keeper

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    it's honestly actually maybe the best VS-like because it adds a few important innovations

-characters have unique skills that you can level up that makes them feel meaningfully different from one another
    -a strafe button

This all exists in Halls of Torment now too, if you want to play something that looks like Diablo II (though the unique upgrades in Holocure are way more unique)

why the fuck would i want to play something that looks like diablo 2

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    holy dang, it's a fighting game? i almost bought that thing; I suck mightily at those

Combat is an action game in the style of devil may cry or bayonetta I think. So some fighting game DNA in there yeah.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

-a strafe button

If Diablo 2 ran at modern resolutions and aspect ratios it'd look dope AF, I love the retro pre-rendered grimy look it has, I just don't want to play the fucker at 800x600 because modern screens suck at non-native pixel sizes.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

-a strafe button

If Diablo 2 ran at modern resolutions and aspect ratios it'd look dope AF, I love the retro pre-rendered grimy look it has, I just don't want to play the fucker at 800x600 because modern screens suck at non-native pixel sizes.

well for the low low price of 24 canadian dollars during their summer sale, blizzard has a deal for YOU!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    But without giving blizzard any money also

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    But without giving blizzard any money also

Well if you don't want to give people money, I have a game for YOU, and it's called Holocure

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just wait six months for Microsoft to finish bribing people and Diablo 2 will probably be on game pass.

• Options
    Just wait six months for Microsoft to finish bribing people and Diablo 2 will probably be on game pass.

I have bad news for you if you think that will involve you giving Blizzard less than 24 CAD

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'm having a kind of videogame paralysis moment rn

* Diablo is most fun with friends. I need to catch up with my friends b/c they're on endgame but I'm kinda whatever on playing it solo
    * SF6 owns but it's the kind of game I just keep around for foolin'. There's no story so I don't feel urgency, it's something I will just pick up when I feel like it
    * I started Fallout 1 but a combination of the interface (esp the limited pathfinding range so it takes like 12 clicks to cross a Junktown map screen) and the fact that I have a hard time seeing the small objects that aren't in containers is kinda stymieing my enthusiasm
    * I poopsocked City of Heroes for like three months over the holidays and winter and made some cool friends and stuff but I need to let it cool off a bit
    * I'm halfway into Lost Judgment but I think I need to recharge my Yakuza batteries and let it sit for a while

so I'm looking at my library like ???

What type or style of game are you feeling right now? I have dozens and dozens of games in my library that I've not played. I get paralysis all the time. Even when I feel like a tactical or strategy game, there are dozens of options. Do I start AoW4, AoW:Planetfall, Midnight Suns, Wildermyth, Spellforce 3, Phantom Brigade, Northgard, Gears: Tactics, Disciples: Liberation, Desperadoes 3, Weird West, and on and on (these are just from scanning my steam list that I've not played). That's not even counting stuff on the Switch like the new Fire Emblem. That that's just one genre of games.

I usually have to step away, go for a walk, listen to some music, something unrelated to games, then when I sit down, just think about what style of game I want to play. Do I want fantasy? Do I feel like RTS? Do I want realistic vs artistic? Even doing this, I can still paralyze myself, but it's really all I can do.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Diablo 4 is definitely good. Mechanically. Very satisfying.

It sure is beige though. Just brown and blood red. The entire game really. Leaned a bit too hard into durr diablo is grim and dark

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Midnight Suns is like 100 hours (not including the DLC) if you want something to take up time.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    That's why I play a poison/death trap build

I'm not just killing demons, I'm doing my part to bring color back to the world (as long as the colors are green and purple)

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    "poopsocked"?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    D4's campaign was fun enough, a couple really good cutscenes. I don't see much point to the post game, it's even more naked "number go up, no clear end goal" than usual, no new dungeons or raids or anything just the same stuff you've been doing in the open world already.

Visually it's pretty but, as others have noted, incredibly one note. Which works in a lot of places but man it needed a palette cleanser. Even D2 had a bright desert and then a lush jungle in acts 2 and 3 breaking up the dark greys of acts 1 and 4. D4 has a jungle biome but it's still all dark colors and shadows. Definitely leaned way too hard into "oh no D3 had a rainbow, we must go full grimdark."

Gameplay wise, it's frankly a step back from D3. There are many fewer active skills and fewer ways to evolve those skills into something new, at the tradeoff of way more low-impact passives (wow, passives, so exciting). I like the new potion mechanic, but otherwise I think it's flatly less interesting and engaging to play than Diablo 3 was.

If I'd paid 70 bucks instead of WoW gold I'd feel a bit shorted on the whole experience. It's fine. Unless you're really bullish on ARPGs, skip it until it's on sale.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    "poopsocked"?

Imagine you're playing a game a lot in a row and you want to keep playing without taking any breaks.... (The term is used hyperbolically)

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How... evocative.

• Options
    someone in the early 00s or late 90s wanted to come up with the grossest euphemism for playing a video game so obsessively you couldn't get up to use the toilet and they succeeded

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Midnight Suns is like 100 hours (not including the DLC) if you want something to take up time.

Took me about 75 hours to 100% it with DLC.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Most notable thing I've seen from D4 recently is how this super high level player on a hardcore permadeath server lost his character because the server turned off and disconnecting counts as a "death".

Then it turns out Blizzard shut the server down on purpose without any warning to fix something in the D4 cash shop because people weren't able to buy stuff.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    someone in the early 00s or late 90s wanted to come up with the grossest euphemism for playing a video game so obsessively you couldn't get up to use the toilet and they succeeded

I hope they later went on to create the term cumgutters to cement themselves as the Shakespeare of our times.

• Options
    technically you don't die because you disconnected, you die because you disconnected and there were monsters around that killed you in the time between the server registering that you are no long online

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Most notable thing I've seen from D4 recently is how this super high level player on a hardcore permadeath server lost his character because the server turned off and disconnecting counts as a "death".

Then it turns out Blizzard shut the server down on purpose without any warning to fix something in the D4 cash shop because people weren't able to buy stuff.

carn, the first guy to reach 100 on hardcore

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh man, today I discovered one of my all-time childhood favourite games, which was unavailable for decades, got a 30th anniversary release in 2021 on Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObcdSbK96A

The only reason I discovered it existed at all is because I couldn't remember the name of the sequel to Another World, a completely unrelated game, and when I googled Flashback this came up in the Google autocomplete. Turrican Flashback for Switch? WTF is that?

More importantly: Brolo, why didn't you tell me back in January 2021?

One of the most impressive feats of pushing-on-through against tremendous obstacles I've seen is this implementation of Turrican 2 in Scratch. (Scratch is a learn-to-program tool where you write code by dragging blocks together; if you click on 'see inside' at the top right of that page you can start to hunt around and find out what's going on. For example, Scratch doesn't have 2d arrays, you have to fake them out of 1d arrays -- but to do that, you can't just type "array2d[x][y] = array1d[x+y*width]", because you have to drag blocks around for every single mathematical operation, so everything is more annoying and takes longer.

The same guy's written a bunch of just insane things in Scratch; here's Getting Over It, for example)

• Options
    and to be honest, like, i dunno

i get that people poke fun at it because it was to fix the cash shop but you play an always-online game with permadeath, like. i think you gotta take those on the chin. that's what you signed up for. your partner wants to watch netflix and kills you. that's the game bro.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If the servers are booting people, they should do so by SHUTTING DOWN THE INSTANCES, not just booting people. Dude should never have died because the game should have went poof when he was disconnected.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That's how I wanna go.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    That's how I wanna go.

i have a submarine company you should look into then

• Options
    always-online submarines

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    As a person who mostly plays single-player, even in predominantly "online" games, I was happily surprised when I started playing Warframe and found out it just never goes down.

They'll give you a 5 minute warning in chat when a patch is about to be deployed, followed by a 3 minute and 1 minute warning, but you don't actually have to log out. It just asks that you not exit your current mission during the period the patch is actively being applied.

After the patch has finished being applied, the next time you return to your ship it won't let you launch a new mission until you log out and install the patch, but it's still vastly better than a lot of other games do it.

I know that's partly because it just uses peer-to-peer for multiplayer, but I have no idea what it uses to verify rewards and it's shop and such.

• Options
    yeah when there's a patch in guild wars 2 it'll leave the existing servers up for an hour max, but you can just log out and install the patch right away and spin up a patched server

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man i think i might pass on FF16

starting to see a lot of critics rag on the story. i've been reading for years now how good FF14's story and presentation is but i am not going anywhere near an MMO. was kind of hoping this would be my shot.

• Options
    even as someone who has enjoyed their time with ff14, ff14's story and presentation is significantly overhyped by the fanbase

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    it's good (for an MMORPG)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    i don't even know if that's true so much as i think most people just played WoW

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's a good story. That's it, full stop, no qualifiers.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i don't even know if that's true so much as i think most people just played WoW

there must always be a lich king

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.