Options

Writers and actors may be on strike, but [TV] persists

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    In addition to the credits being bad, secret invasion is both slow and dulmb

yeah it's a marvel show on disney+

I don't think we really need to be more specific than "a show on disney+"

Andor was pretty good!

Andor was slow as fuck though. No matter how much you like it that's true.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Is any recurring foe in Star Trek half so deadly as the ion cloud

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Jeffrey Coombs

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Andor was pretty good!

Nah

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Is any recurring foe in Star Trek half so deadly as the ion cloud

Perhaps the Jem'Hadar

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Andor rips, yeah. I don't know if I'd say it was slow, either, I think it was more...patient?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Andor was pretty good!

I don't know that I agree. It's maybe one episode too long overall, but I thought its pacing was largely excellent.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I watched Reacher over the last few days, 'cause I thought I remembered there being some degree of (maybe begrudging?) praise for it here.

But..I thought it was really stupid. The first ep before he started talking was pretty fun, but it pretty quickly fell in line with every other story of it's genre. Especially details that I'm sure came straight from the book like...why on earth would a mother exclusively refer to her son by their shared last name? Especially a second son, not even the firstborn.

The mix of confusion, incredulity and annoyance on Reacher's face when he was asked by a kid at the park why he was so big was pretty funny though.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight I finished The Good Wife.

Gonna have to sit with my thoughts on that series finale.

But this does mean I get to leap straight into The Good Fight now!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I watched Reacher over the last few days, 'cause I thought I remembered there being some degree of (maybe begrudging?) praise for it here.

But..I thought it was really stupid. The first ep before he started talking was pretty fun, but it pretty quickly fell in line with every other story of it's genre. Especially details that I'm sure came straight from the book like...why on earth would a mother exclusively refer to her son by their shared last name? Especially a second son, not even the firstborn.

The mix of confusion, incredulity and annoyance on Reacher's face when he was asked by a kid at the park why he was so big was pretty funny though.

Honestly, that right there would be high on my list of reasons why it was fucking great. It’s so dumb and wonderful.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Half of my enjoyment of Reacher is my near constant awe that a dude can be that big.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

Honestly, that right there would be high on my list of reasons why it was fucking great. It’s so dumb and wonderful.

Yeah I wouldn’t call Reacher great, it is dumb and very much like every other story in its genre

But by god if you want to see a huge guy do vaguely clever things and just dismantle dudes in fights, you could do a lot worse

It’s a friggin airport novel, a potboiler thriller, it ain’t gotta reinvent the wheel

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Half of my enjoyment of Reacher is my near constant awe that a dude can be that big.

when he showed up in Fast X, I was like "what... that guy can't be real. He looks like he was born in Unreal Engine."

• Options
    My favorite bit in Reacher is when he has to dig through a clothing donation bin to get some new clothes and he actually manages to find a full outfit sized to fit a 6-foot-20, 300 pound brick shithouse.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to be completely fair to the TV writers here, as someone who is usually looking for something near opposite of that in thrift stores, it frequently seems that's pretty much all that people put into donation bins.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Wife liked Strange New Worlds so much that she decided to go back and check out some Discovery

Hoo, boy. Distracting camera work, terrible Klingons, war crimes at the top of the season, this is a rough start

I'd be really interested in a writer's thoughts on the way dialogue works in Discovery. Because to me it seems like the show abhors subtext or show, don't tell to a ridiculous degree. Which I think actually got worse over time with literally exposition scenes recapping the motivations of actions in the scene beforehand.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators | Official Trailer | Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw38WFM4MCg

• Options
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weird timing as the 30 for 30 about American Gladiators just came out too.

Maybe a bunch of NDAs recently expired.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I used to watch that all the time.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The secret invasion was the shitty ai art we inserted into this TV show without a heads up

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

and he's not even as big as reacher is supposed to be!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have watched so much American Gladiators in my life…

• Options
    I have watched an hour of 30 for 30 and tbe reason for the Netflix one is because the ESPN doc as the founder, Johnny, and he didn't pay the gladiators well and only four of them are interviewed.

• Options
    Alright, so Based on a True Story was pretty good overall, but man, it has the absolute most unsatisfying “third from last episode” feel I’ve ever seen in a season finale. I had to go double check and make sure it was actually the finale.

• Options
    Also, I finally looked at those Secret Invasion AI generated credits, and the whole thing is soooooo much shittier than I expected even with everyone dunking on it.

It’s worse than a bunch of those early machine learning videos from a few years back where it just continually morphs a video of humans into less and less recognizable abstract shit until it’s all eyeballs or whatever.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SNWs. Fuck yeah a Star Trek court room episode!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Aaron Paul is in space in the third episode of Black Mirror and once it was set up I was like oh man this better not have the most obvious ending. And it kind of does. Dang it Charlie!

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

And you just know there’s gonna be people who claim to be Trek fans screaming about how “woke” this episode is which of course means it was a great episode. This is some vintage allegorical Trek through and through.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Damn fun episode. I do kind of wish they'd go more info
    the eugenic wars and the horrors of it, if only to give a bit more context to why the Federation flips out at even the slightest idea of gene modding, but that's honestly pretty unnecessary.

Very much liked the line about them in their fear becoming the persecutors

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

So the first season of the Good Fight is pretty...good...relatively normal, interesting, enjoyable.

Second season on it turns into this extremely weird anti-Trump liberal fantasy thing and it is really bizarre at times.

I completely stopped watching after a few episodes into the second season.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    So we're near the end of season 2 of the Wire and holy shit is this show good. Like, came out in early aughts, but because of the quality with which HBO filmed it basically comes off as a period piece now ala The Americans.

And holy shit there is just so many lines that I've only heard in rap songs and it's wild.

e: And I used to think that Parks and Rec was the most apt demonstration of local government -- now I think it's The Wire.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

So the first season of the Good Fight is pretty...good...relatively normal, interesting, enjoyable.

Second season on it turns into this extremely weird anti-Trump liberal fantasy thing and it is really bizarre at times.

counterpoint: the good fight rules specifically because it is satirizing liberal complacency

7656367.jpg
  • Options

Really great episode, too. Significantly better than the season opener.

• Options

counterpoint: the good fight rules specifically because it is satirizing liberal complacency

like, it is an extremely calculated decision to make diane lockhart the main focus of the show

and it's not to make her look good

7656367.jpg
  • Options

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how it has such huge and relatively equal amounts of contempt for both conservatives and liberals.

• Options
    not gonna argue against it getting weird tho

that is a feature, not a bug

7656367.jpg
  • Options

Love a show where describing season 6 to someone watching season 1 for the first time would make you sound like a total lunatic.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    The Good Wife paints the democratic party as villainous as possible.

Like, anytime Frank Landau (Mike Pniewski) appeared on screen my blood pressure went up from quiet rage.

Zonugal on
  • Options

Love a show where describing season 6 to someone watching season 1 for the first time would make you sound like a total lunatic.

"mandy patinkin joins the cast and you won't fucking believe what he and wayne brady got cooking"

7656367.jpg
This discussion has been closed.